• Published 19th Apr 2014
  • 1,734 Views, 70 Comments

Friendship is Shining: Cutie Mark Rising - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Twilight starts school, and trying to get her Cutie Mark

  • ...
0
 70
 1,734

Officializing

It was Saturday morning, and the library currently had six foals -- one colt and five fillies -- sitting around a table. Five of them were mostly sitting around and talking among themselves. The conversations stopped as a hoof tapped on the table to get attention. Five foals all got quiet as they turned their attention to the purple filly standing before them.

"Okay," Twilight said, "sooooo, our attempts to get a cutie mark before Friday were not as successful as some of us would have liked."

"And it made the party a lot less fun," Scootaloo said.

"It wasn't that bad," Sweetie Belle replied. "I mean we still had fun."

"Yeah," Apple Bloom agreed, "but it would have been better if Diamond Tiara didn't keep stopping by to remind of we didn't have any cutie marks yet."

"I would dump punch on her if she tried that with me," Pumpkin grumbled.

"No you wouldn't," Pound said. "You would do your best to make sure things went smoothly for the party."

"Yeah," Pumpkin conceded, "but I would have told her off."

"Which is why mom kept you in the kitchen."

Pumpkin let out a huff and turned away from her brother, saying nothing.

"So," Twilight spoke up, getting everypony's attention again, "although we didn't make it in time for the cute-ceañera, I don't think we should give up."

"It was kind of fun," Scootaloo said.

"It was also dangerous," Sweetie Belle added.

"And weird," Pumpkin stated.

"Plus we were all really sore after," added Apple Bloom.

"Does that mean you all want to give up?" Twilight asked, eyes going wide.

The other five looked back and forth between themselves. None of them really said anything, but they reached a quiet consensus.

"I think we all want to keep trying," Sweetie Belle finally said aloud, getting nods from all the others.

"Great," Twilight shouted before diving under the table. "Because while you guys were all busy with the cute-ceañera, I came home and wrote-"

She popped back up, holding a piece of paper.

"-a club charter!"

"Seriously?" Pumpkin asked, raising an eyebrow.

"What's a charter?" Scootaloo asked.

"In this case," Sweetie Belle explained, "it's the rules and procedures that a club or group follow for how members are supposed to act and how meetings are supposed to go."

Scootaloo blinked at Sweetie Belle as she let the information sink in, then turned to Twilight.

"And you wrote one? For fun?"

"Well..." Twilight shifted. "I did my homework first..."

"On a Friday?!" Scootaloo gave a shake of her head. "We need to get you help."

"Don't listen to her," Apple Bloom said. "You're fine."

"So, do we need to sign it or something?" Pound asked.

"Actually I need help with something first," Twilight said as she held up the charter. "I've come up with officers, rules, regulations, procedures, even penalties if a member causes trouble." She smiled. "I probably should have talked about it some, but I was really excited. Anyway, there is something I didn't come up with."

The five other ponies all looked at her curiously.

"A name."

"You couldn't think of a name?" Pumpkin asked, smirking.

Twilight let out a huff and set the charter down (which Sweetie Belle reached out and grabbed to read).

"Of course I could come up with a name," Twilight said, just under a shout. "I came up with the whole charter. I living in a library for crying out loud. I could...." She shifted. "No.... no I couldn't. Everything else was easy. Coming up with a name was hard."

Twilight reached under the table again and pulled out some paper and quills.

"But I have an idea," she announced. "Anypony who thinks they have a name can write it down. Then we can all read them, and decide on which one would be the best to use."

Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Pound Cake each grabbed a piece of paper. Twilight could still not come up with a name, so she was going to let a different pony try. Sweetie Belle was still looking at the charter, reading through the rules and procedures. Pumpkin had considered grabbing a piece of paper, but more to write one as a joke than as a serious effort.

"'Any member found guilty of a minor infraction," Sweetie Belle read aloud, "will be required to purchase snacks for all other members for no fewer than two days and no greater than seven.'"

"Yeah," Twilight said with a grin. "I figured that the paying for snacks would be a good punishment, and those who behave get free snacks."

"Anypony want to cause a minor infraction?" Pumpkin asked.

"Your parents own Sugarcube Corner," Sweetie Belle said, "and you work there. You would have the most chances for snacks than any other pony here."

"It also means working with Pinkie Pie, and you know how she can eat."

Sweetie Belle gave a nod. She had seen Pinkie Pie eat a four layer cake on her own once. No chewing even. The pink pony just unhinged her jaw like a snake and swallowed the entire cake whole.

Pound, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo all finished their suggestions and passed them over to Twilight.

"What's this about an oath?" Sweetie Belle asked. "I don't see one written here."

"Well we need to know the name of our group before we can make an oath," Twilight explained. "Now, speaking of names." After mixing them up, she picked up one of the sheets, cleared her throat and read.

"Blank Flank Fighters Scoo--" she stopped halfway. "You weren't supposed to sign it. Part of the reason it's like this is so it's anonymous."

Scootaloo rubbed the back of her head and grinned, letting out a small chuckle. Twilight rolled her eyes and shook her head.

"Okay, so Blank Flank Fighters." She picked up another sheet and read it.

"Cute Questers."

"It's Cutie Questers," Pound said.

"It says 'Cute Questers,'" Twilight said. "You forgot the i."

"Aww," Sweetie Belle teased. "He thinks we're cute."

"Do ya, Pound?" Apple Bloom asked. "Do ya think we're cute?"

"He was probably thinking about Twilight when he wrote it," Scootaloo added.

Pound Cake's face turned a bright red color. He let out a huff and turned to look away, glaring at the floor.

"Alright," Twilight snapped. "That's enough teasing." She let out a huff as she heard several giggles at her coming to Pound's defense. Instead of saying anything more, she grabbed the last piece of paper.

"'Cutie Mark Crusaders.'"

There was a moment of silence.

"I like it," Sweetie Belle said.

"Me too," Pumpkin agreed. "Sorry Pound."

"It's okay," Pound said. "It sounds better than-"

"Cute Questors?" Scootaloo asked, getting a glare from the pegasus colt.

"So that's three," Twilight said. "I like it as well, bringing it up to four. Apple Bloom? You're the one who came up with it."

"Yeah." Apple Bloom gave a nod. "I like it even better hearing it out loud too."

"Okay. Scootaloo?"

"Eh," Scootaloo said with a shrug. "Not as awesome as I would like, but I guess it's better than mine."

"Great," Twilight shouted with a hop. "So by unanimous decision, we are hereby known as The Cutie Mark Crusaders."

"You know," Pumpkin Cake said, "this sounds like it might actually be fun."