• Published 16th Apr 2014
  • 4,313 Views, 68 Comments

Facing Northern Lightning - The Prancing Red Pony



The Human Race is a very intelligent species. But, what will happen to a nation of them that Celestia wants to invade? Will they be able to deal with Celestia's Armies? Follow in this epic tale of when the Generals of the North must face Celesti

  • ...
19
 68
 4,313

Chapter 4

Celestia studied over her war map back in her camp. It was a map of Southern Illinois and the positions of the Army of the Potomac and the plan of attack she would conduct on the Union. She was anticipating to hear how the attack had went from her sister Princess Luna. Celestia hadn't noticed the Colonel walk into the tent.

"Your Majesty" the Colonel said with a salute. Celestia was slightly startled by the Colonel's voice and was even more shocked at what she saw. The Pegasus Colonel had a wing wrapped up in bandages and the top part of his head was wrapped in bandages as well.

"How did the attack go and where is my sister Luna?" Celestia asked. The Colonel looked down at his muddy and cut up hooves and began to cry softly. Celestia only stared at him anticipating an answer on the attack.

"The attack failed and Princess Luna..... was...... shot..... and..... captured" the Colonel chocked out as tears streamed down his face of all the death and destruction he had seen. Celestia was beside herself the words kept passing through her head until they became dull "Attack Failed Luna Shot And Captured" she kept repeating in her mind. Tears began to well up in her eyes thinking that her sister might be dead in the hand's of the enemy but, also the thought of the enemy holding her sister as a prisoner infuriated her. The Colonel still standing at attention watched Celestia's mane turn a vibrant red, and her fur a very dark black, and her horn a terrible purple. She was boiling with anger at what the Union Army might be doing to her sister; maybe they violated her? maybe they simply shot her or amputated all her limbs off? Celestia's anger began to depart and her mane, fur, and horn turned to their original shades of color and she began to cry. The Colonel then spoke up.

"Do you wish to hear the battle figures your majesty?" the Colonel asked. Celestia nodded the Colonel pulled out a long list of the battle's description and of the casualties suffered. It went like this:

"Marched upon enemy believed to be fast asleep. Moved within 400 yards and then entire front erupts in gunfire many ponies fell. Rushed towards entrenched enemy soldiers and got within trenches and disrupted lines but was forced back multiple times by fresh reserves. Repeated assaults making it into the trenches with magic wielding blasts from unicorns but, unicorns defeated by fire charges. Tried to wheel around behind lines but enemy cavalry subdued the attack and beat it back. Luna led the final attack by air and ground slamming into the Army of the Potomac's center breaking the enemy's line. Luna engaged in hand to hand combat with officer. Last full scale assault failed and were beaten back with heavy losses including the loss of Luna due to capture by enemy. Failed to achieve objective.
Celestia's Personal Army Strength: 250,000
Army of the Potomac: 320,000
CPA KIA: 14,250
CPA WIA: 124,754
CPA Missing/Captured: 24,179
Total: 163,183 65% of total force" the Colonel finished the report. Celestia was dumbstruck at the loss of life her army one of the greatest in all of Equestria renowned for its seasoned veterans, brute strength, and immense courage was BEATEN BACK BY HUMANS!!!

"Thank You Colonel you are dismissed" Celestia said saluting the Colonel. The Colonel saluted back and headed out of Celestia's tent. Celestia immediately headed over to her war map and studied over the Union positions again. Her plan seemed flawless strike the enemy when they were asleep and slit their throats. But, what went wrong? "Scouts" Celestia thought "Scouts" she hadn't considered the factor she was being watched. Her Army did not do well in concealing their movements and that was probably one of the reasons her Army failed on the field that evening. Celestia went over to her desk and grabbed more maps. She laid them out on the table and looked for a new place to strike but, she had to let her army recuperate from such drastic losses and she needed to get her sister back. Celestia sent letters to six ponies that led some of the most elite fighting forces in the history of Equestria. They were the Elements of Harmony.
-General Twilight Sparkle and her Army of Ponyville (More Elite than Celestia's Personal Army)
-Major General Rarity and her Army of the Crystal Empire (Slightly Pompous, Proud, and Strong)
-Lieutenant General Fluttershy and her Army of the Everfree Woods (Quiet, Concealed Movements, and Deceptive)
-Major General Pinkie Pie and her Army of Rambling Rock Ridge (Very Loud, Boisterous, and Troubling)
-Lieutenant General Rainbow Dash and her Army of Cloudsdale (Famous for its deception and scouts)
-Major General Applejack and her Army of Appleloosa (Extremely Tough And With Very Seasoned Veterans)
These 6 Generals commanded the Elite of the Elite Armies in Equestria. There reputation was fiery and temperamental but, they did not lose many battles at the most about 3 battles each they lost. But, Celestia made sure to contact Rainbow Dash first and the Wonderbolt Scouts in a rescue mission to get her sister back. Luna's life was on the line.

------------
Grant arose from his tent that warm summer morning. It was the day after the battle, and the work of burying the dead and treating the wounded had already begun before daybreak. One of his subordinates came up to him.

"Good Morning General" the subordinate said with a salute. Grant returned the salute.

"We got a telegraph message from President Lincoln this morning. It's for you sir" the subordinate said handing Grant a slip of paper with scribbled writing from the telegraph machine. It read:

"Dear General Ulysses S. Grant,

I have received word that you won the first major battle of the war. I congratulate you sir and what you did on those fields especially the capture of a high ranked enemy officer. But, that is not the only reason I am sending you this telegram. I just passed this through Congress and got their approval to establish 6 new armies with 4 new Corps in each to help in dealing against this new threat. They are:
-Army of the Cumberland
-Army of the Tennessee
-Army of the Ohio
-Army of the Mississippi
-Army of Kentucky
-Army of the James
I wish for you to pick 6 of your Corps Commanders and promote them and then send me back another telegraph of the ones you have picked Thank You.
Sincerely,

President of the Union,

Abraham Lincoln" Grant read over the letter and then stuck it in his pocket for later when he would decide who he would promote. Grant was not entirely sure of who he would promote all his generals were extremely effective commanders and were seasoned veterans to take away any of them from his Army would cripple the fighting effectiveness of his troops but it would also allow for the troops to be farther spread out around the Union in case multiple attacks happened at once. Grant had to have time to contemplate over who he would pick. He turned to the subordinate.

"Send a message with my name back on it to give me sometime and that I will send him another telegraph message with my answer" Grant said.

"Yes sir" the subordinate said before turning towards the tent with the telegraph to send to Lincoln. But, Grant had more pressing issues to attend to that morning. As he walked past the breastworks where regiments were simply relaxing some soldiers eating apples, writing home, or simply sleeping, he saw the large holes that had been opened in the line the night before. Grant simply shook his head at the loss of life and still the many bodies that littered the field of battle. He headed towards a tent on a small hill it was guarded by the 4 best regiments in the Army, 5 artillery batteries, and 2 companies of cavalry with the Iron and Irish Brigade flanking the sides. Grant entered the tent and waiting there for him bound in chains with horn bagged, wing wrapped heavily in bandages and with 10 guards surrounding it was the black alicorn. There was two chairs and a table between the chairs. The alicorn sat on one side with heavy guarding and the other side with three chairs two occupied by General's George H. Thomas and William T. Sherman. The last was for General Grant.

"Do not get up" Grant said. The Generals and soldiers saluted him as Grant headed to his seat. The alicorn was steaming with anger as Grant came in. It had not forgotten who shot it in the wing and dueled it the night before. Grant sat down and looked into the eyes of the alicorn that were screaming with frustration and pain from the bullet wound in its wing.

"What is your name?" Grant asked as he blew a puff of smoke from his cigar before extinguishing it. The Generals looked with keen eyes at the alicorn who simply sighed since struggling would only result in more pain and a tightening of her restraints.

"It is Princess Luna" the alicorn said. The Generals grew slightly wide eyed but Grant was stone faced.

"So what gives you the right to enter our homeland and kill our people?" Grant questioned. Luna sat silent. "What gives you the right to enter our homeland and KILL OUR PEOPLE?" Grant yelled louder. Luna was still silent. Grant knew what she was doing she was being silent as not to reveal any secrets. Grant lit a cigar and blew a great puff of smoke into Luna's face and sighed. "I know Luna that you won't talk. But, you will have to eventually or that" Grant stopped and pointed to a hangman's noose "will be the place where you meet your fate. Now tell us why you ponies invaded the Union?"

Luna's face bore greater and greater anger. She suddenly lunged at Grant but she was held tightly back by her chains and one of the guards hit her over the side of the head with his rifle. Blood slightly trickled down her face. Thomas called one of the nurses but Grant stopped him. Grant got up from his chair and walked over to Luna's side. He grabbed one of her hooves and blew a big puff from his cigar lightning the embers before burning the cigar into Luna's hoof. Luna screamed loudly as Grant's cigar burned her skin. Grant then extinguished the cigar and returned to his seat.

"You monster. You will BURN IN THE SUN" Luna chocked as tears of pain streamed down her face. Thomas and Sherman looked at Grant rather bewildered. He was a very fiery General but they didn't think he was that cruel.

"I want answers and I expect you to give them to me. Now, why did the ponies invade the Union?" Grant questioned. Luna gritted her teeth in anger and thought of lunging at Grant again so she could shove her horn into his chest and impale his cruel heart but, the pain of the burn told her that if she did Grant could do something worse.

Luna cried and chocked out; "Celestia and I heard in ancient tales and songs about how cruel humans were but we did not believe them until, recently when this little nation was found. Celestia had made it her duty to wipe out the humans to save her ponies and keep the world in balance. That is all I know" Luna finished. Grant slowly clapped his hands.

"Hey that's all we needed. Thank You very much Princess. But one last question where do your ponies hail from?" Grant finished.

"Equestria" Luna said.

"Oh, really. Thank You for your help today Princess. Gentlemen" Grant said to the soldiers. They stood at attention.

"Yes, sir?" they said.

"Take Luna back to her prison tent. Put more guards on duty and if she causes anymore trouble you have my permission to whip her. She may be a Princess but she is a prisoner of ours. That is all" Grant said. Thomas and Sherman were very hardy generals themselves but they were wide eyed at Grant. Grant was a good general and a somewhat kind man with a drinking problem but, whipping was a whole ballpark away. The soldier's forced Luna up and slowly dragged her away in chains. Many guards could be seen passing in front of the opening of the tent following the soldiers and Luna to her prison tent.

Grant got up from his chair and saluted Thomas and Sherman who were still somewhat flustered at Grant's orders. "Evening Gentlemen" Grant said before leaving the tent to his own. Grant passed regiments, batteries, cavalry, and the breastworks before returning to his tent. Grant took out the now crumpled telegraph from Lincoln and pondered about who he would pick. Grant then decided:
- Army of the Cumberland - General George H. Thomas
- Army of the Tennessee - General William T. Sherman
-Army of the Ohio - General Oliver O. Howard
-Army of the Mississippi - General John A. McClernand
-Army of Kentucky - General Gordon Granger
-Army of the James - General George G. Meade
Along with his decision Grant wrote a short message to Lincoln.

"Dear President Lincoln,

Here on my picks for the new Army Commanders. I hope they will be successful in their commands. We did interrogate the alicorn who's name is Princess Luna and she said that human's to their ponies were merely from folklore but, Celestia said if they ever found a nation of humans they would wipe them off the face of the earth. That is all I have. Thank You.

Sincerely,

General Ulysses S. Grant,

Commander Of All Union Armies"
Grant finished his letter and immediately went over to one of his aides.

"Telegraph this to President Lincoln immediately" Grant said.

"Yes sir" the subordinate said as he rushed off towards the tent with the telegraphing machine. Grant looked up and sighed.

"The stars look absolutely beautiful tonight. I do miss home but, a soldier's work is never finished I promised Lincoln to defend the Union at all costs" Grant thought to himself before heading back into his tent and getting some well-deserved sleep. But, what Grant didn't realize is that night was soon to be filled with chaos and confusion.

Author's Note:

Well guy's here is the latest chapter Grant did interrogate Luna rather harshly don't you think? But, will Luna be saved from her captors? Will Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolt Scouts be able to save Luna from the clutches of Grant and the Union? We will see.

If you find any grammar mistakes please P.M. me or comment below since it really helps with my writing. Thanks a bunch!

The Map has changed so that no southern half of the US exist's but it's just the Northern Half of the US (Civil War Era).