• Published 16th Apr 2014
  • 4,312 Views, 68 Comments

Facing Northern Lightning - The Prancing Red Pony



The Human Race is a very intelligent species. But, what will happen to a nation of them that Celestia wants to invade? Will they be able to deal with Celestia's Armies? Follow in this epic tale of when the Generals of the North must face Celesti

  • ...
19
 68
 4,312

Chapter 10 - Grant and Rainbow Dash (To earn trust is a rare gift)

The Army of the Potomac had been slow going since the Battle of Carbondale. Combined with the night attack by the Wonderbolt Scouts and the departure of Grant's Corps Commanders the Army had been feeling slightly sluggish in terms of mobility. Grant had been weary to move the Army out of the vicinity since Celestia might still be present with a force roaming through Kentucky or Missouri. There was also the issue of Rainbow Dash. Surely, a Union army although massive in size (measuring at about 340,000+ troops) could easily deal with any threat the ponies threw at them was still hesitant keeping such a high profile prisoner in its captivity. Grant knew he had to get back to Washington to meet with President Lincoln to discuss the situation across the US as well as how to best protect the capitol from any oncoming attack.

On a rather cloudy day, the Army of the Potomac started to set out to Chicago. Grant pondered his movements for a short while and if it was a wise idea to head immediately North to Chicago or to think of diversionary tactics so as to elude Celestia or any other pony army. Grant thought of this as he headed over to the POW medical tent. Grant entered rather solemnly his hat clenched in his hand. Many Wonderbolt Scouts were still bed ridden from that fatal night with the Gatling Guns. On the far side of the tent, was Rainbow Dash. She had two guards from the Iron Brigade present on either side of her bed. Her wing was still very tender from being shot, her face bore a few scars from being cut up falling into the woods. She stared up at the ceiling with a slightly askew complexion to her face. Her hooves still clung to her mane but, her mane was beginning to grow back slowly but surely. She started to hear footsteps heading in her direction. She did not turn her head but, slowly moved her eyes in the footsteps direction. She soon recognized Grant's form and huffed a snort. She turned her back to him as he approached. Grant approached the guards.

"Thank You we won't be needing any guards. Head outside the tent" he said. Without hesitation, the two big Michigan men departed and waited at attention outside the tent. Grant stood before Rainbow Dash' bedside.

"What do you want?"

"I just want to talk"

"Why so you can torment me or scalp me?"

"No just talk"

"Well get to talking or get to fucking off from here" Rainbow Dash retorted. Grant was slightly taken aback by the language but, he could remember on more than one occasion using the same kind of language especially in the face of defeat. His hand clenched tighter and his complexion grew slightly sterner.

"Where do you hail from, Rainbow Dash?"

"Equestria. Are you dumb and stupid too?"

"No just wanting to know where you call home. Georgetown, Ohio is mine."

"Well that's just great"

"There are times I truly miss my home. You must feel the same way"

"Yes but, why would you care?"

"Well you aren't some savage so you clearly come from a place where you care about others. To defend your homeland is probably more important to you then what you think I might know. Does that sound right?" Grant said. Grant knew he was acting in a somewhat humble manner but, he did not care. If he was going to learn more about the ponies and why they were so dead set on destroying the Union he needed answers to provide to President Lincoln. Then, there was silence. Rainbow Dash pressed her cheek into her pillow and rolled her eyes before replying.

"Ponyville" Rainbow Dash finally replied. "It's a town where me and my friends are from. I was originally born in Cloudsdale before moving to Ponyville when I befriended a Griffin. Happy now?" Rainbow Dash said. She never turned to meet Grant's visage. Her hooves clenched harder on her shaved mane. She missed home badly and dreaded the thought of never seeing Ponyville or her friends or family again.

Grant thought for a while. "Ponyville? Clousdale? Griffins? This sounded like a truly astounding place, Equestria." He recollected his thoughts.

"Rainbow Dash we are planning to leave Carbondale soon enough. I feel that my mistrust and anger towards you might have been slightly misguided. You are free to ride with me at the front of column when the Army departs otherwise, you will be left under extreme guard in a hospital wagon at the back. I can't guarantee your treatment or safety in that case. If you choose to escape or try to escape my men are authorized to take you down and make sure you stay down" Grant said firmly. Rainbow Dash sat in silence her eyes welling with tears at the idea of the treatment the Union Army would do to her or if she would be sent to a prison camp to wither away. Grant reached into his pocket and pulled out a cigar. He fixed his hat atop his head and turned away from Rainbow Dash.

"Think about it until we leave this evening. Good day to you" Grant tipped his cap and exited. He lit the end of his cigar before motioning to the two guards to enter back in.

Rainbow Dash cried softly into her mane with gritted teeth before slowly falling asleep.

*Hours pass*

Grant exited from his tent as the Army of the Potomac began to draw into general formation to begin the long 300 mile march to Chicago. As he exited he looked up into the night sky. It was a humid yet comfortable night in southern Illinois. Grant headed in the direction of the prisoner medical tent. As soon as he entered his eyes fell on Rainbow Dash. She was sitting calmly but, her expression could kill if she wanted. Grant slowly walked his way to her bedside and motioned the guards to leave.

"Well?" Grant asked.

"Well what?"

"About my offer"

"Oh that" Rainbow Dash sarcastically spoke. She was left with a conundrum. Risk her life at the end of column and potentially be beaten to death or left to die in some hole somewhere or at least be treated with some respect and dignity by the head of the Union Army. Rainbow Dash was never one to bend the knee but, she realized it was either life or death at this point. She went back to the night that she was shot down by that awful Gatling gun and she shuddered. A voice called out to her in her thoughts.

"Well?" Grant asked again. Rainbow Dash finally spoke.

"Fine I will join you but, no funny stuff or I will skin you alive" she snarled. Grant smiled slyly.

"If it makes any difference the same goes for me as well" Grant said sharply. He then motioned to the guards and the on hand doctors. "Prepare her to ride with me" Grant said to one of the guards and to the doctors. "And you" Grant said turning to the other guard, "Find the quartermaster and let him know I will need a coach for the ride up to Chicago".

"Yes sir" said the guards and doctors in almost unison. One guard immediately exited the tent and headed to the Quartermaster while the other guard and doctors began to help up Rainbow Dash in preparation for travel. Grant turned away and returned to his tent to get his papers and other materials in order.

*An hour passes*

Grant walked along the side of his army toward the coach at the front of column of the 1st Corps. He puffed on his cigar once more before stamping it out with his foot. He turned to his aide de camp, "Prepare to begin the March".

"Prepare to leave" the aide de camp called out. Up and down the line the same call was made. Grant approached the coach side door. It was a black yet somewhat elegant coach with a red leather interior that the Army of the Potomac used to entertain politicians or anyone from the War Department should they choose to appear from Washington. Grant grabbed the brass handle of the coach and gave it turn. Inside was Rainbow Dash staring out at the long columns of blue troops ready to begin their march. Her ears perked up and she turned to meet Grant's gaze as he entered the coach. Grant shut the door behind him and sat across from Rainbow Dash. If looks could kill they would certainly do so here. She looked at him up and down and then stared intently into his eyes.

"You really know how to make yourself seem weak, don't you?" Rainbow Dash quipped. Grant shook his head.

"Nope, only to let our enemies know what its like to be part of a real Army" Grant rebutted. Rainbow Dash's expression grew darker at the slight made by the human.

"You are so vain and overzealous. What makes you think that you humans stand a chance against Equestria?"

"Well, we just want to know where you came from and why you are attacking us so fiercely? We never did anything to your kind nor knew you existed before the invasion. That was a very odd conversation to have with our leader that a bunch of ponies had invaded our country" Grant said.

"You are nothing more but vile creatures intent on enslaving our people and turning Equestria into nothing more then a smoldering ruin. Your kind don't deserve pity you only deserve the tip of a sword" Rainbow Dash said with a scrunched face. Grant was expressionless and slightly annoyed at the fervent yet passionate response from the Pegasus. He sighed and waved his hat out to his aide de camp.

"March"

"March!" came yells up and down the line. Soon the coach gave a jolt and the Army of the Potomac began its long arduous journey up to Chicago. For the most part Grant and Rainbow Dash sat in silence staring at each other. Rainbow Dash's face was angry while Grant's remained expressionless. Hours passed and soon nightfall fell upon the Army of the Potomac. The two coach mates stared at each other until Rainbow Dash finally spoke.

"Where are we going?"

"Chicago"

"How far is it from here?"

"300+ miles"

"Geez that freaking long?"

"Yep so might as well get comfortable" Grant retorted as he took off his boots and stretched. Rainbow Dash looked at Grant with a slightly raised eyebrow.

"Chicago?" she thought to herself. It sounded awfully similar to Chicoltgo in name. Rainbow Dash stared intently out to the night sky. She was never sure if she was going to see her family or Equestria again. She held back her tears and gripped her mane tightly. Grant stared out at the night sky. A beautiful moon shone high above as the coach creaked and rolled along the dirt road. The stars were in brilliant form that evening with just a touch of big puffy cloud here and there. It seemed like a painted canvas high above. Grant then heard whimpering. He looked over at Rainbow Dash by the moonlight and saw her collapsed in tears with her hugging her shaven mane so tightly like a child would a teddy bear. Grant produced a handkerchief and held it out to Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash through stricken tears and snot looked up to see Grant offering a piece of cloth.

"Here" Grant motioned to the handkerchief. Rainbow Dash looked down at the handkerchief and then took it willingly. She blew her nose and cried some more into it. Grant could only watch and his expression softened somewhat. Here was a living breathing creature that expressed very real sorrow for its homeland. Grant realized that these ponies must have had loving families and friends back in Equestria. He stared out the carriage a long while giving Rainbow Dash time to be sorrowful. Some minutes later, Rainbow Dash turned to Grant.

"Thanks" she said as she tried to return the handkerchief. This was the first time Rainbow Dash showed any courteousness to her captor. Grant waved his hand as to say he declined taking it back.

"Not saying you will need it more but, might as well hold it in case" Grant said. Rainbow Dash with puffed red eyes then stared sternly at Grant.

"What you never cried before? You've never cried about whether or not you were going to see your family or your country ever again? Have You?" Rainbow Dash's voice raised hoarsely after her sobbing.

"Yes" Grant answered. "When you join the military you are never certain if you will make it home. You are never promised to not die in some hole in some godforsaken backwater. You are never guaranteed to see your family or friends again. I've chosen this career because I must protect that which I love and hold dear. If it means for the preservation of the Union and the lives of my family and friends then I welcome any invader to try and take it from me" Grant said. This slightly took Rainbow Dash aback. Not only did Grant speak eloquently and with compassion but, everything he said seemed to come from the heart. This human cared greatly for not only his homeland but, his people regardless if they were related to him by blood or not. It was daresay honorable in some respects. Rainbow Dash rubbed her eyes and settled into her seat more.

"So what's this Chicago place like?" she asked looking to make conversation. She was still very apprehensive of Grant but, thought he might at least have some shred of kindness in his flesh.

"It's one of our main ports of industry for the Union" Grant said.

"How do most in the Union feel about the invasion?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Many are still trying to understand why you invaded us in the first part. It's unknown to me why you ponies invaded us in the first place. We have never caused you harm in our history as far as I can recall" Grant said. Rainbow Dash had a thoughtful expression on our face. Why did Princess Celestia hate the humans so much? Rainbow Dash didn't even know they existed until a few weeks before the invasion. If humans were mainly like Grant then why would Celestia have such a heinous hatred to them. Other then her mane being taken off her head Rainbow Dash began to have slight concern why Celestia would take on the humans especially for how savage she described them as.

"They sound like an impossible foe to defeat" Rainbow Dash thought. She remembers being led to the Coach and seeing the many long columns of Union soldiers and there formidable cannons and the dreaded Gatling Guns. These creatures were not something to screw around with. If their ruthless potential was called upon it could mean Equestria could be turned to ash. Yet, Grant was somewhat defusing these savage ideas that Princess Celestia had placed into Rainbow Dash's head. Rainbow Dash then noticed Grant was sitting waiting for a response.

"Honestly I can't tell you. We were always led to believe that humans were savages and the only real intent in your short miserable lives was to inflict as much pain and suffering to others around you" Rainbow Dash explained. Grant's raised an eyebrow and rubbed his hands together.

"Well you and your kind are doing a spitting impersonation of that now aren't you? Savages, miserable lives, pain, suffering? You must really think low of us" Grant said with a slight grin. Rainbow Dash grew slightly miffed at Grant's cheerfulness.

"You certainly have a high opinion of yourself" Rainbow Dash retorted.

"Look who's talking?" Grant rebutted. Rainbow Dash let out a slight chuckle at this.

"Tell me more about this Georgetown, Ohio?" Rainbow Dash asked somewhat curiously.

Hours whizzed by as Grant and Rainbow Dash talked about their childhoods as well as the differences between humans and ponies.

Soon enough, the morning sun began to rise and the Army came to a halt. They had arrived at Dodds, Illinois to give the troops a chance to rest. Grant and Rainbow Dash peered outside and noticed the sun starting to rise. Grant yawned and then did Rainbow Dash.

"Hey don't do that! It's infectious" Rainbow Dash said as she yawned.

"Sorry" Grant chuckled. He then stood and opened the carriage door.

"Ladies first" Grant said. Rainbow Dash began to step out.

"You Mother fucker" Rainbow Dash said with a slight grin. They both stretched mightily as they got out of the carriage. Rainbow Dash stretched her damaged wing but, slightly yelped as she might have overdone it. She adjusted herself and then stood with Grant.

"What now?" she asked. Grant motioned over to guards. They went on either side of Rainbow Dash.

"These gentlemen will find you a place to bed in my part of the camp" Grant said. The soldiers were tall men from Maine with bushy beards and burly chests. "I must attend to some other issues and will see you again when we depart this evening" Grant said tipping his cap before heading off in the direction of John Reynold's 1st Corps Camp.

"This way" one of the soldiers motioned with his rifle to Rainbow Dash. She followed quietly by the two guards until arriving amongst a row of rather large tents. Eventually, they stopped and a soldier motioned to one of the tents. "This ones yours" he said gruffly. Rainbow Dash walked into the tent. There was a writing desk, a stool, and a bed. The guards stood outside her tent at attention.

Rainbow Dash could not think of anything else except to sleep. She plopped herself onto the bed and found it somewhat soft. She curled herself up into a ball and began to drift off to sleep. She took one last look at the handkerchief Grant gave her.

"These humans are exhausting but, maybe they aren't all bad" she thought before drifting off to dreams of Cloudsdale and Ponyville.

Author's Note:

Here is a new update to Facing Northern Lightning. Grant and Rainbow Dash begin to converse more after leaving Carbondale.

I can't tell you how many times I would think about writing more of these stories over the past years. I finally got up the gumption to start at it again. For any of you who have been waiting patiently thanks again.

If you find any grammar mistakes please P.M. me or comment below since it really helps with my writing. Thanks a bunch!

The Map has changed so that no southern half of the US exist's but it's just the Northern Half of the US (Civil War Era).