• Published 16th Apr 2014
  • 4,313 Views, 68 Comments

Facing Northern Lightning - The Prancing Red Pony



The Human Race is a very intelligent species. But, what will happen to a nation of them that Celestia wants to invade? Will they be able to deal with Celestia's Armies? Follow in this epic tale of when the Generals of the North must face Celesti

  • ...
19
 68
 4,313

Chapter 9 - Howard vs Rarity (Part 2: Cincinnati Crossroads)

As morning light began to peek through the clouds on that summer day in Ohio, McClernand's division was on the move. Having marched in the middle of the night from the Army of the Ohio's position in Middletown, only now had the division made its way into the vicinity of Winton Woods and the Colerain Township. The division had marched non-stop through the night to reach Cincinnati to address whether a pony raiding party was present. McClernand could not put out forward sentries due to the heavy cloud cover the night before blocking the night sky.

McClernand yawned mightily. "Why march all the way in this humid place only for us to get there and for nothing to be there" McClernand thought to himself. He hung around at the back of column with the second brigade mostly made up of men from Illinois. McClernand briefed his brigade commanders the night before on Howard's behest to not bring on a general engagement and to only engage if absolutely necessary against a potential pony raiding party. Huff, all this for a simple raiding party. McClernand thought he could do a better job running the Army of the Ohio then Howard ever could but, kept himself grounded and his thoughts to himself.

The division began to pass through Winton Woods. A slight wind stirred in amongst the trees affording some relief along with shade to the soldiers from the tremendous humidity and now the heat of the sun. The Winton Woods was an oak and hickory forest. The trees seemed to creak with a strong enough gust. The division passed silently through the woods as to not draw attention to themselves or the potential pony spy that could be watching their every move deeper in the forest. McClernand took a map from the satchel on his horse and asked his subordinate to come to his side. It was a map of the Southern half of Ohio, Indiana, and the Northwest half of Kentucky. It gave a somewhat general outline of the surrounding geography and the various cities, towns, farms, and woods of the area. The one intriguing thing it had going for it was it showed general troop placement of not only the Army of the Ohio but, also of the Army of Tennessee and the Army of Kentucky. If this fell into enemy hands it could be disastrous for the three armies in the vicinity and could potentially spell destruction for the entire Midwest. McClernand turned to his lieutenant.

"In any circumstance that should happen to me or the general command. This map must be destroyed to prevent capture by the enemy" McClernand said. The lieutenant saluted.

"Yes sir" the lieutenant said. McClernand saluted back and then waved off the lieutenant. The lieutenant joined the rest of his junior officers by the colors. As the rest of the troops passed through the Winton Woods they crossed Winton Lake and soon arrived at a clearing. A courier was galloping reverse to the column and stopped at McClernand's side.

"Colonel Crocker sends his compliments sir" the corporal said. McClernand returned the salute. "The colonel wants to know if the Army will be retiring soon or at least stopping for water and food?" the corporal replied.

"Tell Colonel Crocker not at this time. We must make for Cincinnati with all due haste." McClernand replied. The corporal saluted and galloped back towards the front of column. McClerand's aide de camp approached by his side.

"General sir it might be a good idea to at least give the troops some rest. They have been marching non stop in this terrible humidity and now the sun is starting to peak and soon will add even more discomfort to them" the aide de camp asked. McClernand sighed.

"I wish I could. But, if we are to ensure the safety of the people of Cincinnati we must make there with all due haste"

"As you command sir" the aid de camp replied before returning to the colors.

*Hours later*

The heat of the day began to truly take effect as the division slowly approached the slopes of Mount Airy. McClernand was sweating profusely from his horse and his troops were no better. The long march had been tedious and distressing forcing the division to crawl more then march. McClernand soon had enough. He ordered over his aide de camp and a few other officers in his camp. "Prepare to stop. The division can't continue any further in this kind of weather. We sooner keel over then have a bunch of ponies kill us in our sleep" McClernand exclaimed. The officers saluted and then took off in general directions up and down the line. Soon the division came to a halt and many soldiers sat and began to eat and drink from their haversacks and canteens. McClernand rode ahead to the front of column. He eventually reached the first brigade under Crocker. Colonel Marsh from the second brigade was also present. McClernand saluted the two colonels which the colonels returned.

"Gentlemen, we are less than halfday's march from Cincinnati. We need to rest for now and continue on past this hilly region and prepare to meet this raiding party head on" McClernand ordered.

"Yes sir General" the Colonel's replied. Colonel Crocker pulled a map from his horse saddle and held it between Marsh and McClernand. "General how should we go about deployment once we are in Cincinnati's vicinity? Since reconnaissance would indicate that this is but a mere raiding party on the approach" Crocker asked. McClernand opened his own map and held it between the two colonels.

"Under the behest of General Howard we are not to bring on a general engagement nor get caught in an urban fight with the ponies inside of Cincinnati itself. It would be best if we set our troops in open proximity along Clifton Heights so then our cannons are aimed towards the city." Marsh and Crocker looked at the General with slight concern.

"General wouldn't that put our own people in direct fire. Wouldn't it be best if we crossed the Ohio River and deployed in Covington or Newport so as to keep the enemy out of the city" Marsh argued.

"That has been considered Colonel but, you must remember that we are not to bring on a general engagement nor to get into an urban brawl with these ponies. If we cross the Ohio and the ponies were to somehow get behind us or drop bombs on the river crossings then the entire division could be routed. We must setup outside the city to ensure a successful withdrawal if need be."

"Understood sir" Marsh replied. Marsh was somewhat anxious at McClernand's decision making but, he would not want to face an insubordination charge arguing further with McClernand and potentially face a court martial and the wrath of General Howard or General Grant back in Washington. The General and the Colonel's talked for a few more hours allowing the troops to relax and to attend to themselves. At 2 PM the division carried on.

*Hours pass*

General McClernand's troops arrived at the outskirts of Clifton Heights. McClernand informed each of his brigade commanders that the enemy could appear at any moment and to have picket's and cannons active. The sun began to set at 9 PM as the division settled itself in for a night's rest after a long march from Middletown. Picket's were posted on a 1 hour basis along with Artillery crews having a spotter active to awaken the crew to jump into action if necessary.

Two Illinois picket's looked on from Colonel Raith's 3rd Brigade.

"Apparently the ponies are roaming all along the country side" one picket exclaimed.

"I heard it was a whole army and not some little raiding party that the reports dictate"

"Either way we are going to kick their raw hides from whatever hell they came from"

"You better believe it! Who would a thought a bunch of horses would put up su-*ech" one of the picket's was cut short. The other readied his rifle.

"Who goes there?" the picket called out. The only light were from the fires of the divisions camp behind him. Nothing but blackness was before him except for the very faint light from Cincinnati. "Show yourself demon" the picket called out. Unbeknownst to the picket a looming figure appeared behind him. The last thing the picket saw was a valley of shining silver and suddenly darkness.

The Army Of The Crystal Empire had fell upon the division by almost complete secrecy. Rarity looked on from a knoll far off. She turned to her aide.

"Kill them where they sleep" she ordered.

Author's Note:

Here is a new update to Facing Northern Lightning. Rarity has fallen upon McClernand's encamped division after a tireless march through the countryside.

I can't tell you how many times I would think about writing more of these stories over the past years. I finally got up the gumption to start at it again. For any of you who have been waiting patiently thanks again.

If you find any grammar mistakes please P.M. me or comment below since it really helps with my writing. Thanks a bunch!

The Map has changed so that no southern half of the US exist's but it's just the Northern Half of the US (Civil War Era).