• Published 15th Apr 2014
  • 720 Views, 2 Comments

The Promise (Original Story) - ThePrinceOfTheNorth



Celestia has not sat on the Equestrian throne for one thousand years. The reason, it seems, is anything but normal.

  • ...
8
 2
 720

Chapter 2: Tomb of the Princess

Chapter 2: Tomb of the Princess

The imposter Celestia sniffled weakly. As she did, her disguise lost cohesion and burned away to reveal a Changeling Queen who was crying uncontrollably, much to the shock of everyone else, even Winter.

"I failed you, sister," the Changeling Queen sobbed, "You were my best friend, and I've failed you. I'm sorry, I..I..I'm so, so sorry.." She couldn't get anymore out as she slumped to the floor, still crying.

The ponies and changelings were all speechless at the sight before them.

There, in front of them, laid a Changeling Queen, sobbing, and apologizing to Celestia, who had apparantly been dead for over one thousand years. The Changeling Queen kept saying she'd failed her only friend, so not any pony, changeling, or even Winter himself, knew what to think.

But, as always, it was Winter to talk first.

"What happened to her," Winter asked.

"The battle with Nightmare Moon," the changeling said, still sobbing, "I don't blame Luna. She wasn't in control, but I blame Nightmare Moon. She punctured Celestia's heart."

A gasp went through the room. Nightmare Moon, the Bringer of Eternal Night, had killed the Princess of the Sun.

This was unpresedented.

"What about you," asked Winter, "Why did you impersonate her?"

"She asked me to," was the changeling's simple reply, "We were best friends, and I couldn't say no and leave Equestria without her only Princess."

There was quiet in the room for a long momen before Winter spoke again.

"Is this where you always sneak off to?" The changeling nodded in response.

"I have been using spells, dangerous spells, but the result will be complete in a few hours," said the changeling.

"What result," asked Winter with genuine curiosity.

"A spell Celestia taught me, and told me I'd know when to use it," A silence hung in the air, so the changeling continued. "It's a resurrection spell. I'm resurresting Princess Celestia, even though I might not live to walk the halls of Canterlot with her again."

Everyone was shocked by this revalation. "Why," asked Winter.

"I needed to create vast reserves of love to power the spell, which was a challenge as I had to raise and lower the sun, but I managed," the changeling said, "Now those reserves are gone. I was going to lower the sun, just to enjoy one last sunset, but you wouldn't grant me that." The chageling paused, short of breath. The lack of love in her was catching up. "At least she'll be back." And with that, the changeling fell over.

"NOOOOOOOOO," came a scream so loud, it could have been from a siren.

The sarcophagus at the far end of the hall flew open as Celestia thundered out, straight towards the collapsing changeling. She caught her before she hit the ground, but already her body had grown cold.

Celestia stared at the changeling in her arms, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Celestia, is that you," came a small, choking voice.

"Yes, yes, it's me," said Celestia, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Forgive me," the changeling said as he head went limp, and her world went black.

The impact hit Celestia like an Ursa Major. Her closest friend, the one who had always been there when Luna could not, had just proved her worth one, final time.

"Please Crystalia, please don't die."

Author's Note:

Note: 'The Bringer of Eternal Night' was actually 'the being that now sat in Solstice'.