• Published 1st Apr 2012
  • 4,261 Views, 80 Comments

Little Lily - Quill and Brush



No longer part of the PonyFall collab.

  • ...
11
 80
 4,261

Awkwardness & Embarrassment

14 April 2012 - Saturday

I exited the building and walked around the corner to where I always park my car. As I'm rounding the corner, Brandi is leaning on my car watching Lis peer inside. When Brandi sees me, she stands up off of the car, causing Lis to look up.

Brandi smirked at me. "About time you showed up. We've been standing out here for ever!"

Lis cocked her head at this. "No, we haven't. We've only been out here for a few seconds."

I chuckled. "She's joking, Lis." I got to the car and unlocked it. It was a dark red, four-door Honda Accord. Nothing fancy.

Brandi walked around to the passenger side and got in the front seat. "Yeah, we both do."

I opened the driver's side rear door for Lis and she climbed in. "Oh, um, okay. Tell me, what is this thing?" She gestured to the car surrounding her.

I climbed into the driver's seat. "This is my car. It's an automobile, which means that it moves under its own power." I buckled my seatbelt, which Brandi had already done. "Lis, I need you to buckle your seat belt." She looked up at me confused, and Brandi leaned back and showed her how. When I cranked the engine, Lis jumped in the back seat. "Don't worry, it's completely under my control." I switched on the radio and the Rolling Stones began to flow through the car.

Lis leaned forward and put her chin on the back of my seat. "Oh, I don't think I know this one."

Brandi grinned. "That happens when new songs are being written every day."

I turned to face Lis. "Yeah. Um, I need you to sit back."

Lis nodded and rested against the back of the seat.

I glanced around at the nearly empty parking lot before shifting to reverse and making my way onto the road. I drove a few blocks over to Market Street, then crossed the Schuylkill River on the way to The Gallery, a mall in town. I found a place to park and we walked back. We walked down into the depths of the mall to reach Pay/Half, where I tend to go to when I need something clothing based.


The three of us left the store with a few bags of clothing. Or, rather, I had a few bags of clothing and the girls were chatting like old friends. I still need to figure out what happened in that room while I was getting those flip flops...

“So...” I said, just loud enough for them to hear me, stop chatting back and forth, and look back at me. “What are we gonna do now?”

Brandi looked thoughtful for a moment. “What time is it?”

I pulled out my cell phone and flipped it open. “It’s 11:30.”

“Why don’t we stop for some lunch?”

“That sounds good to me. Lis?”

She looked shocked for a moment before answering. “Yeah, that sounds good.”

I nodded. “I don’t eat around here often. Do you, Brandi?”

“Yeah. There’s a good place down there.” Brandi pointed ahead of us towards the escalators, which Lis, surprisingly, had no trouble with. I’m not even sure she noticed that the stairs moved. “It’s an Italian place with excellent... pasta and salads.” She stepped closer to me and lowered her voice. “Have you talked to her about... carnivorous diets?”

I glanced nervously over at Lis. “Ah, no. I have yet to broach that topic.”

Brandi deadpanned. “Really? Why do you have to pull these words out of the dictionary all the time?” I shrugged. “Whatever. You need to tell her about that.”

“The dictionary? Well alright then.”

She punched my arm. “You know what I mean.”

I chuckled. “Yeah, let’s just get through this meal, and then we can talk to her about it.” She nodded. “Okay, let’s go get some Italian food!”


I was now laden with three orders of spaghetti, three different salads, and an order of pizza fries, I’m told they’re delicious, along with the bags of clothes from earlier. I led the girls towards the car quickly, so we could eat our lunch warm.

I’ve been tuning out the girls for a while now, because they had been talking about things that appear to be universal ‘girl talk’ since we ordered our lunch. I began to say something, I don’t remember what it was, when my mind halted upon hearing the words “-think... he’s cute?”

When Lis said that, I almost tripped and dropped all the food, but I caught myself in time and I don’t think the girls noticed. I turned my head to see that Lis was looking down, but I could see a faint blush peeking out from under her bangs. She was still walking, though, so the fact that Brandi had stopped for a second was evident in her catching back up with Lis. I slowed down slightly so that I was standing next to Lis with Brandi on her other side.

Brandi looked up at me, and sighed before leaning down and whispering in Lis’ ear. Lis nodded and began to walk faster. A look of concern flashed over Brandi’s face as Lis walked away. Brandi looked up at me. “You be good to her.” She then increased her pace to catch up with Lis, leaving me to stare after them in confusion.

I shortly regained control of my motor functions, and began to return to the car so that we could get back to campus. I reached the surface to see the girls leaning on my car, talking quietly. I crossed the street and waited for Brandi to see me, which she did in short order, and I walked up. “My keys are in my right front pocket. I’d get them myself but my hands are kinda full.”

Brandi nodded and pulled my keys out, unlocking the car and opening the rear door. She unloaded my arms into the car. The three of us got in the car and I started to drive towards campus. Crossing Route 611, I realized that the girls had been incredibly quiet since I got to the car. “Um... is everything okay?” They both remained silent. “Is something wrong?” More silence. “Brandi, what did I do?” Still no answer. “Fine. The awkward silence continues.” The rest of the ride was spent in silence.


Brandi was the first to break the awkward silence as we approached campus. “Drop us off at my building, okay?”

I nodded and stopped in front of her building. We got out and I offered to carry the bags and things upstairs for them.

Brandi pulled Lis to the side and they whispered for a moment or two before Brandi walked back over. “You just take the clothes and your food back to your room. We’ll eat in my room and then join you later.”

“...okay then. I’ll see you two later. Save me some of the fries, okay?” She nodded, taking their food out of the car and leading Lis up to her room. “Well, that was weird... Might as well go do my research now.”

I got back in the car and drove around to my usual parking spot. I got out and carried my food and the bags of clothes up to my room. I put the clothes down just inside the closet and put my food down next to my computer. I got a fork and a glass of Mountain Dew and sat down to begin my quest to refamiliarize myself with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, one unicorn in particular.

Author's Note:

Just FYI, lis is french for lily.

Have fun!