• Published 1st Apr 2012
  • 4,260 Views, 80 Comments

Little Lily - Quill and Brush



No longer part of the PonyFall collab.

  • ...
11
 80
 4,260

Intervention & Nutrition

14 April 2012 - Saturday

A knock on the door roused me from my research. I had been completely enthralled in my rediscovery of the magic of friendship, and started at the sudden absence of silence and fell out of my chair, resulting in a resounding thud. With a groan, I pulled myself up off the ground and glanced around for the source of the auditory intrusion. My search ended quickly due to a concerned “Thomas?” coming from the door.

I opened the door to Brandi standing there, about to knock again with a slightly amused expression. Lis, standing behind her, had concern plastered across her face. Brandi was the first to break the silence, a chuckle escaping before she could find her voice. “Still haven’t found a way to defy gravity, huh?” Lis’ expression grew shocked and flicked between me and Brandi.

I chuckled, ignoring my slight headache. “No, haven’t gotten that figured out yet. So, what’s up?”

Brandi pointed over her shoulder at Lis, who looked incredibly confused. “We ate our lunch and talked a little. We saved you some fries.” She bent down and picked up a take out box that I hadn’t noticed was sitting at her feet. She passed it to me, and I took it inside and put it on my desk with the rest of my mostly untouched lunch.

“Y’all can come in if ya want.”

I turned around to find Brandi already standing right behind me, with Lis following closely behind. Brandi was grinning widely. “Sometimes I forget that you’re Southern. And then you say something like that.” She let out a short laugh.

I grinned sheepishly. “What did I say this time?”

Brandi chuckled. “You said ‘y’all’.”

“Really? That’s not actually too bad.”

Brandi just laughed. She sat down at my computer and spun around once. I sat down on my bed, motioning for Lis to take the spare chair. I glanced over at my alarm radio for the time. Whoa!! It’s almost four! I was thinking it was only, like, 12:30! “Are either of you thirsty?” I stood up off of the bed.

They both responded to the affirmative, and I went and filled up two glasses with Mountain Dew, handing them off as I picked up my own from beside the computer. I also grabbed the box of fries before returning to my bed. “So, what were you talking about?”

Brandi, who had propped her feet up on my desk, looked over at Lis, who was staring down into her drink. Brandi looked back over at me. “Um, that’s a little personal. I don’t think you’re gonna hear about it.”

That stopped me in the middle of bringing a handful of fries to my mouth. “Huh.” I ate the fries in my hand before continuing. “Alright then, why’d you come here?”

Brandi chuckled. “Well, we finished talking, and Lis didn’t want you to feel left out, so we decided to hang out with you.” Lis nodded slightly.

“While I appreciate the concern, you really didn’t have to. I would’ve been fine.” Another handful of fries entered my mouth.

Lis seemed to deflate slightly, her shoulders sagging and head drooping. Brandi, on the other hand, was giving me a look that I knew very well. It was a mix of 'Are you serious?', 'You've got to be kidding me.', and 'You aren't very bright.'. That look made me stop for a second and rethink what I had just said.

Partial realization surfaced quickly and made me reword my statement. “It’s not that I’m not glad to see you or anything, just that I wouldn’t want to cause you to change your plans for the sake of my comfort.”

Lis seemed to brighten a little, and Brandi’s expression changed to one of slight amusement. Good, I have appeased Brandi’s wrath.

Brandi and I talked for a while, with Lis listening contently, while I finally ate my cooled lunch. I hate when I don’t realize that I’m hungry. By 4:30, I had finished eating and had pulled my sketch pad out from my night table. I’m a fairly good artist, although I’m better at manipulating objects on a computer screen. I’m studying to be a graphic artist, majoring in graphic design and minoring in computer animation. That’s how I convinced my parents to help me finish my computer. I wasn’t focusing on what I was drawing while I was talking, my hand was really working on it’s own. At 5, Brandi and I had just about exhausted our topics of conversation and the periods of peaceful silence were growing.

Brandi stood and stretched her arms up above her head. “Well, I’m getting hungry, who wants supper?”

Lis nodded once. “Yeah, that sound’s good.”

They both looked at me expectantly. I shrugged. “Sure, why not.”

Lis stood up and joined Brandi near the door while I put my sketch pad away. I glanced at it as I was closing it. I had subconsciously drawn a face. I shrugged, It’s not the first time, and left it open to look at later. I put it back in my night table and then picked up my wallet, cell phone, and car keys. I then got up and joined the girls at the door, and we went downstairs.

We got in my car and drove down to the on-campus buffet-style cafeteria. We paid at the entrance and stepped inside. I pulled Brandi over to the side. "You wouldn't have happened to have talked with her about... omnivorousness?"

Her eyes widened. "No, I didn't. How are we going to do this?"

I thought for a moment, watching Lis look around in wonder. Naïveté can be so cute. “Why don’t you take her over to the veggie counter. What do you want me to get you?”

Brandi nodded. “Sounds good. Get me a... cheese burger? And fries?”

I nodded. “Sure. Good luck.”

She muttered a “Thanks.” as she walked over and rejoined Lis and pointing to the vegetarian counter.

I stood there for a second watching them, trying to figure out how we’re going to explain this.


I stood looking out over the multitude of tables. How can it be so hard to find two people? Finally, I saw Brandi waving me over towards on of the tables towards the back, away from most of the crowd.

I walked over and set down the tray of food that I was carrying. Brandi took her cheeseburger and fries and put them in front of her. I slid the rest of the tray over to one of the empty seats. Glancing around the table, I discovered that Lis had chosen a veggieburger. A glass of water was sitting next to it, about half full. Brandi had a glass of what appeared to be Mountain Dew sitting next to her burger. I looked down at my steak and fries. That looks a little out of place. Oh well. I picked up my own glass of Mountain Dew and took a sip. “So, how’d it go?”

My question was directed at Brandi, but Lis answered instead. “Oh, it went wonderfully. The staff here is so helpful.”

Brandi grinned. “Yeah, it went fine. We haven’t had any... incidents yet.”

I smiled. “That’s good. But I think we need to have an intervention.” I looked at Brandi, then at Lis.

Brandi’s grin faded a little. “Really? Now?”

I nodded. “Unfortunately.”

Lis had been following our back and forth, and confusion had gradually spread across her face. “An intervention? Am I correct to assume it’s with me?” I nodded. “What about? Did I do something wrong?”

I shook my head. “No, nothing wrong. We just need to talk to you about something.” I thought for a second. “I guess intervention isn’t the best wording.”

Lis glanced at Brandi before looking back at me. “Well, what are we talking about?”

I looked over at Brandi, urging her to help me. “Well. We just felt it would be a good idea to inform you of some... cultural differences.” Thank you, Brandi!

I nodded. “And some special* changes. Mainly, that of diet. Humans don’t eat hay or grass or flowers. We do eat some grains, such as wheat and oats, though.”

Lis looked a little downtrodden. “Okay, no flowers.”

I glanced a Brandi before continuing. “But that’s not the biggest thing.” Lis raised an eyebrow. “Most humans eat meat.”

Author's Note:

*pronounced with a long ‘e’, means of or pertaining to a species