• Published 16th Apr 2014
  • 1,229 Views, 38 Comments

Under the Moonlight - Thunderblast



The beginning of a long chapter of a pegasus guard's adventures.

  • ...
7
 38
 1,229

Love is Blooming

After a long evening of telling his brother, sister, and step-granny about his adventures in Canterlot, Thunderblast slept soundly in his bed in his room, which he cleaned out to make room for new things, putting his toys in a bag so he could give them to Big Mac and Applejack if they wanted them, or to sell to other foals who were interested. His room looked almost as if he was preparing to move away, and all that remained was his bed, night stand, book shelf, and a small desk.

The following morning, Thunder waited for the sound of trumpets to fill the air.

Nothing.

He waited a little bit longer.

Nothing.

Since his body was used to waking up before sunrise now, he got up and stretched, but stayed sitting up in bed, sitting completely still, as if he was a giant warm fluffy statue, just until the slightest bit of light started to invade the world outside. When the sun began peaking it's bright yellow top above the hill, and the rooster squawking out COCKADOODLEDOO, that's when Thunderblast thought it was the right time to move again, after putting himself in a guard paralysis.

He heard the sound of his older brother and younger sister outside, who were chasing each other around outside, Thunder looked out his window and watched and could only smile, but he knew that now that he was a royal guard trainee, he couldn't suddenly after nearly half a year to go back to his colthood self. So, he erased the thoughts of playing with them. He was a completely different colt than before he left.

Thunderblast went downstairs and made his favorite apple oats, sat down and ate, then went outside into the crisp, cool air, opening his wings slightly so he could let the breeze flow under them, and he closed his eyes and enjoyed the outside world. After that, he closed his wings back up and trotted around to find Big Macintosh and Applejack, now remembering that he forgot to show them the best part about his journey to the capitol.

"Big Mac? Applejack?" Thunder called out, trotting under the expansive ocean of apple trees, which at the time had ripe, juicy, sweet red apples in them, ready to be bucked out.

He trotted around for another five minutes before finally finding them by a cliff with the two ponies looking down at the raging rocky river below, not a smile to be seen.

"Careful you two, that cliff is unstable." Thunderblast said, standing at the edge of the trees, dropping his smile.

Big Macintosh and Applejack turned and saw Thunder, then turned back and faced down towards the water below.

"Ah just can't believe they're gone..." Applejack said, wiping a tear from her eye, before feeling a wing on her back.

"I can't believe it either, AJ." Thunderblast said, pulling her and Big Macintosh into a hug, all three starting to sob.

Just a few feet to their left, are two flower-covered crosses, which both said Stetson Apple and Golden Apple, as well as pictures of a brown mare with an auburn mane with freckles, wearing a stetson, and a light yellow stallion with a light brown-orangeish mane, with a blue bandana around his neck.

After their tearful hug at the cliffs, they headed back into the apple trees towards the barn.

"So, Thunder, what else have ya been doin' in Canterlot?" Big Macintosh asked.

"Eh, not much, just been busy with training and stuff like that, and-."

Before he could finish, Thunderblast stopped dead in his tracks, eying a wasp nest inside a log he was about to jump over.

"WAAAAAH!" He screamed, almost like a little filly, and flying up into the air above the trees, holding Applejack and Big Macintosh.

"WHOA" Big Macintosh said, eyes shrinking from what just happened.

"Thunder... Y-You're flying!" Applejack said, gasping and looking up at him.

Thunder's eyes also shrunk, then widened. "I knew I forgot to tell you guys something! I found out how to fly when in Canterlot. I also got my cutie mark!" He said, flying them to another area away from the wasp nest, and setting them down.

"Ya did?!" Big Mac said, smiling.

"Can we see it?" Applejack asked, also smiling.

"Sure!" Thunderblast said, unfolding his left wing so they could view his cutie mark; A lightning bolt with a light grey ring around it, meaning it's close to breaking the sound barrier.

"Woaaaah." The two both said, eyes widening at the sight of his cutie mark.

"It kinda fits in with your name, Thunder. It has a lightnin' bolt, but what's the grey ring for?" Applejack asked.

"I'm assuming it's a supersonic ring, like when a plane is close to breaking the sound barrier." Thunderblast said.

"So, the lightnin' bolt means Thunder....and the grey supersonic ring means blast? Yer cutie mark is yer name, Thunder..." Big Mac said.

"Hmm, you're kind of right Big Mac. I never thought of it that way..." Thunder chuckled lightly, folding his wing back up.

The three continued their way back to the barn, Thunderblast flying just above them the rest of the way.

After that, Thunder decided to stroll through town and memorize his way around again, due to him being gone for so long. He flew just above the ground like a normal pegasus, and even waved to a few ponies he knew before he left.

"Hey Thunder." Said a familiar mare voice.

Thunder stopped and turned and saw Rainbow Dash. "Hey Rainbow."

"I see you finally learned how to fly, what took ya so long, chump?" Rainbow Dash giggled.

Thunder chuckled. "I dunno, afraid of heights I guess."

"Oh come on, that's not a reason." Rainbow Dash nudged him playfully.

"I don't know honestly. Maybe it was just destiny that took me so long, maybe I was meant to just now learn how to fly." Thunderblast said.

"Maybe... So what's up?" Rainbow asked.

"Eh, ya know, just memorizing my way around town. I've been used to seeing Canterlot, not Ponyville." Thunder answered, which then gave him an idea. "Hey, Dashie?"

"Yeah?" She replied.

"Would you umm..." Thunder stopped for a moment, hovering up to her. "I dunno... Like to go somewhere with me tonight?" he continued.

"You mean...like...a date?" She asked, blushing slightly.

"Uhh...Yeah...?" Thunder nervously said back.

"I'd love to." Rainbow replied, smiling then kissing his muzzle.

Thunderblast smiled and hugged Rainbow Dash, who returned it a half a second later, and they hugged in public for about a minute.

"So.. What time, Thundy?" Rainbow Dash asked, still in Thunder's hooves and looking up at him.

"I dunno.. Six thirty? Where I want to take you is quite a way away." Thunder replied.

Rainbow smiled. "Alright. I'll see you later." she said, and gave him a peck on the cheek, then flying off.

Thunder blushed when she smooched his cheek, and his eyes widened in love, then he flew back to Sweet Apple Acres to prepare for the biggest night of his life so far.

Just thirty minutes before Thunderblast was set to pick Rainbow Dash up, he was trotting in circles stressing out, thinking he will look and smell like a scrub during his date.

"Hey Thunder, what's wrong?" Applejack said, standing at Thunder's door.

"I'm stressed, AJ. I don't have any cologne or really anything to make me look more appealing." Thunder said, still trotting back and forth.

"Don't be stressed, sugarcube. Just be who you are, no need to smell fancy or look fancy. That's what a mare wants, she wants a stallion who acts like himself and looks like himself." Applejack said, smiling up at Thunder and putting her hoof at his chest.

Thunder smiled back down at his sister. "I'm glad to have you as my sister, Applejack." he said, hugging her.

Applejack giggled and hugged him back. "And ah'm proud to have ya as my big brother, Thunder." she said. "You should probably get goin' if you wanna make it to Cloudsdale in time."

"Oh crud, that's right." Thunderblast said, looking at his clock on his nightstand. He trotted downstairs with Applejack, and opened the door to fly out. "Thanks AJ! I'll see you later tonight!" he said.

"See ya!" Applejack said, waving from the door as he took off.

Thirty minutes later, Thunderblast approached Cloudsdale for the first time in his life, and smiled at the sight of the massive cloud city, a true pony masterpiece to Equestria. He pulled out a piece of paper that was Rainbow Dash's address, and flew down to street level, looking for her house.

"Ah, there it is." He said, flying down to her doorstep and knocking on the door, then stepped back.

When the door opened, he expected Rainbow Dash to be there, but instead, a pegasus stallion the same size as Thunder opened the door. He had a darker blue coat, and a rainbow mane like Dash's.

"Can I help you?" The stallion grumbled, not excited at the sight of Thunder.

"Oh, uh. I'm Thunderblast, and um... I'm uh... Here to pick up Rainbow Dash." Thunderblast nervously said to the stallion.

"Hmm. Are you her coltfriend?" The stallion said, pushing the door completely open and checking Thunder out.

"Uhh..." Thunder said, before Rainbow Dash flew behind the stallion.

"No dad, he's not my coltfriend. He's just a friend of mine." Rainbow Dash said, smiling at her dad.

"Oh, okay then. Have fun, Dashie." The stallion said, hugging her, then trotting back inside.

"I will, dad." She said, smiling, then walking out in front of Thunderblast. "Hey, Thunder."

"Hey Dashie." Thunder said, smiling and hugging her, Rainbow Dash returning the hug. "Ready to go?"

"Yep." Rainbow Dash said, still smiling.

"Awesome. Hop on my back." Thunder said, lowering himself slightly.

"Why? I can fly there too.." She said back.

"I want to surprise you, that's why. Besides, it's not nice to force a mare to fly somewhere on her own." Thunder said, smiling at her.

Rainbow Dash giggled. "Alright.", then hopped on his back and held onto his neck.

"Hold on." Thunderblast said, taking off quickly but not too fast.

Rainbow Dash held onto Thunder's neck, and they flew through some cloud cover just outside of the city.

"So, where are we going?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"You'll see." Thunderblast said, smiling while navigating through the night sky.

Less than an hour later, they flew through heavy clouds, blocking Rainbow Dash's view.

"Are you sure you know where you're going Thunder? I can't see ahead of us." She said.

"Don't worry, I know where we are." Thunder replied.

Thunder flew down slightly and out of the clouds, revealing a massive lit up city in front and below them, Canterlot.

"Woah." Rainbow Dash said, eyes widening, admiring the view of the city below them. "Is this..."

"Canterlot? Yes ma'am." Thunder finished her sentence.

"Oh my.... It's beautiful..." Rainbow said, lowering herself to see the city more. "How did you know I always wanted to go here?" she asked.

"Who doesn't? It's the greatest city in Equestria, if not the world." Thunderblast answered.

Rainbow Dash was speechless, and could do nothing but smile.

Thunder then flew down towards Canterlot, and onto a skyscraper top floor balcony, which happened to be a restaurant.

Rainbow hopped off of his back and walked over to the barrier at the edge of the building, and looked out at the massive sea of yellow and white lights illuminating the area for two miles, causing her to fall in love with the view.

"Thunder... This is amazing... This is the best surprise i've ever had. Thank you." She said, turning and hugging him tightly.

"Hey, i'd do anything for you." Thunderblast said back, hugging her. "Now, ya hungry?"

"A little bit, yeah." Rainbow Dash replied.

"Well, have a seat." Thunder said, pulling a chair out for her and smiling.

Rainbow smiled and sat down. "Thank you, Thunder." she said, picking up her menu and looking at it, Thunder sitting across the table from her and looking at his menu.

After eating dinner, the two layed on a cloud above Canterlot and looked down, Thunder putting his wing over her back.

Rainbow Dash sighed a happy sigh. "This was the best night of my life." She said, looking up at Thunder and smiling.

"This was the best night of my life, too." He responded, also smiling.

When they least expected it, they made eye contact. Thunderblast looking into Rainbow Dash's fiery magenta eyes, and Rainbow Dash looking into Thunder's soothing blue eyes, and their heads slowly moved closer. Then, Rainbow Dash leaned up, and kissed Thunder on the lips and holding. Thunderblast was in shock for a split second, before slowly closing his eyes and enjoying the kiss which seemed to last forever, but only lasted a minute.

Rainbow Dash pulled back and smiled up at him, and Thunderblast opened his eyes and smiled down at her.

They smiled at each other for a minute, before Thunder came back to his senses.

"Oh, uh. I should probably get you home before your parents start worrying." Thunderblast said.

Rainbow Dash giggled. "Alright, but don't fly too fast this time. I want to hold onto you for a little while longer." She said, smiling up at the stallion.

Thunder smiled again down at her. "Okay, Dashie. Hop on." he said, and she hopped onto his back and held onto his neck. Thunder stood up and opened his wings, and the two took off into the night sky, towards Cloudsdale.

Rainbow Dash layed her head down onto his shoulder and yawned, and Thunderblast flew a little bit slower so the ride would be comfortable. Fourty five minutes later, they arrived in Cloudsdale, Rainbow Dash half awake.

Rainbow yawned and got off of Thunder's back. "I sure had a great time, Thunder." She said, smiling up at him.

"I had a great time too, Dashie." Thunder said back, smiling at her.

The two hugged each other, and Rainbow Dash walked into her house, waving at Thunder just before closing the door.

Thunderblast waved back and watched the door close, before taking off and flying back to Ponyville. By the time he reached Sweet Apple Acres, everypony was already asleep. Instead of going in the front door, he decided an old method. He climbed up a water spout and to his window sill, where he quietly opened the window and crawled inside, then crawled into his bed and pulled the blanket over him, and staring outside at the moon, which was at a crescent stage, just before falling asleep.

"I had a great time..." He thought, as he fell into a deep sleep.