• Published 16th Apr 2014
  • 1,229 Views, 38 Comments

Under the Moonlight - Thunderblast



The beginning of a long chapter of a pegasus guard's adventures.

  • ...
7
 38
 1,229

Return to Ponyville

Thunderblast waited patiently at the Canterlot Train Station for his train to Ponyville to arrive, despite the cool night breeze nipping away at his body, but he didn't seem to mind. One of the main parts of training in the Royal Guard is to withstand any kind of weather, ranging from extreme heat to bitter cold, rain or shine, snow or ice.

He kept looking at the clock a few feet away from him, sticking out from the side of the station roof. It read '10:07', making his train two minutes late. Finally, just four minutes later, the train pulled into the station, and not as many ponies as usual walked out when the doors first opened. It was another ten minutes before Thunder could board. Instead of sitting down, he took a vacant room in one of the sleeper cars of the train, and he curled up in the bed, falling asleep shortly after the initial jolt of the train departing.

Just before dawn, Thunderblast woke up when the train hit a short stretch of bumpy track, and he opened his blind to see some town lights approaching.

"Aah. Ponyville." He said, smiling slightly then yawning, and crawling out of his bed and walking into the next car for deboarding.

The train pulled into the station, the moment some light began filling the sky over the sleepy town, and Thunderblast, along with some other ponies, as well as the Conductor and Engineer left the train. It had been a while since he was last in his home town, so he had lost track of where things were in town.

Thunder walked through town, trying to find his way to Sweet Apple Acres, knowing by now his family would be awake, but couldn't find the dirt path leading to it. The sun rose over Ponyville, and the streets started to show more signs of life as time passed.

He found his sense of direction, which was stuck in the farthest corner of his mind, and worked his way to the farm, now being on the complete opposite side of town from the orchard. A few minutes later, before he could react, he was knocked off of his hooves by a light blue mare, and tumbled on the ground with her clinging onto him.

"AAH!" Thunder screamed. "Take what you want! Just don't kill me, please!" he said, holding his hooves over his face, pinned down by the mare.

The mare fell over laughing next to him, holding her stomach, and Thunder looked to his side to see the mare, a slightly smaller than him pegasus mare with a rainbow mane and tail, and a cloud and rainbow lightning bolt for a cutie mark.

"Rainbow Dash!" He yelled, sitting up and looking down at the mare, who was having a laughing fit.

Rainbow Dash continued laughing, still holding her stomach. "I can't breathe!" she said, still laughing before catching her breath. "I got ya good!"

Thunder looked down at her and all he could do was smile and chuckle slightly with the mare, before standing up and helping her up. "I missed you, Rainbow Dash." he said, still smiling.

Rainbow wiped a tear out of her eye, finishing up her laughing. "I missed you too, Thundy." she said, giving him a peck on the cheek, forcing him to blush. "How's Canterlot?" she asked.

"It's good....sort of." Thunderblast replied.

"Sort of? What's wrong?" Rainbow Dash asked, dropping her smile.

"I got suspended for a week." Thunder sighed.

"Oh no." She said. "What did you do?"

"I did a sonic boom at a flying exercise thing." He said back.

"Oh, I see. I didn't think those were bad enough to get you suspended though." Rainbow said.

"I didn't think so either, but now I know never to do one again." Thunderblast said.

"I guess. So what brings you back to Ponyville?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Well, I thought i'd come back and see family, and of course you." Thunder replied, putting his hoof around her and pulling Rainbow Dash into a hug, who happily returned it and giggled.

"Aww! I've been wanting to come to Canterlot to see you, but I didn't know if i'd be allowed to see you while training." She said back, still hugging him.

"Probably not, although I am free on the weekends." Thunder said. "Until i'm un-suspended, i'm here in Ponyville for the week." he continued, smiling.

Rainbow Dash smiled, and nuzzled him. "I'm glad you're back for a little bit, I missed you so much. I had a couple of bad dreams that you died..." She said, shivering.

Thunderblast hugged her a little bit tighter, holding her against his chest to warm her up. "Don't worry, Dashie. I'm not going anywhere." he said to comfort her.

Rainbow nuzzled his neck and smiled again, feeling safer that her coltfriend was there.

"Well, I should probably get going. My parents are probably wondering where I am." Rainbow Dash said, laughing a little bit.

Thunder chuckled. "Alright, Dashie. I'll see you later." he said, kissing her for a moment.

"See you, Thunder." She said back, returning the kiss, then taking off and flying away.

Thunderblast watched her fly off, then continued towards his home.

He found the dirt path, surrounded by large trees which shaded the entire path to the farm, which was a beautiful area, no matter the season. Thunder took a deep breath, taking in the fresh, crisp, morning air, and the familiar smell of apples in the area.

After a nice long walk down the shaded path, he finally came up to some fence, and a sign hanging on a post reading Sweet Apple Acres. Thunder looked up at the sign and smiled, taking a huge sigh of relief that he was finally home after brutal times in Canterlot. He walked up to the barn, listening closely for the sounds of his sisters and brother, but heard nothing. Thunder started to grow worried, and perked his ears up for the littlest sound that could be a sign of their presence, but still heard absolutely nothing, other than birds chirping in the nearby trees.

Thunderblast walked around slowly, keeping a combat knife in his hoof just in case any unwanted attention is brought to him. He continued around the barn, still hearing nothing but birds chirping, which soon followed by pure peace. Not a single sound, other than Thunder's hooves slowly coming down onto the dirt ground, filled the air.

Suddenly, he was attacked by a larger pony, who pinned him down, and knocked the knife out of Thunder's hoof.

"WHO ARE YOU?" The colt asked, pinning Thunder down.

Thunderblast's face was smooshed into the dirt, so he couldn't talk, nor see who was holding him down.

"You have five seconds to tell me who you are, or ah'll slap the buck out of ya!" The colt said. "One.....Two.....Three..." he counted down, then noticed Thunder's wings. "Oh gosh." he said, getting off of him and helping him off of the ground. "Thunder!" he yelled, hugging him.

"Big Macintosh?!" Thunderblast said, hugging his brother back happily.

"I thought you were some intruder!" Big Macintosh said, pulling back from the hug and smiling at Thunder.

"I thought there was an intruder, there was nopony here." Thunder said back.

"Nope, but ya gotta watch where ya point that knife! You could hurt somepony with that thing." Big Mac said, pointing to Thunder's knife.

Thunder chuckled, and put his knife back in a small pouch he had on him. "I guess I do. I haven't had to use it really yet." he said.

"So, Thunder, what brings ya back? Anything wrong?" Big Mac asked.

"I got suspended for doing something wrong in a flight exercise, so I decided to come back here until I can get back into training." Thunderblast replied.

"Aww. You're not perminantly suspended are ya?" Big Mac said back, a little bit worried.

"Oh, no. It's just for a week." Thunder said. "I go back a week from today."

"Oh, that's good. APPLEJACK!" Big Mac called out.

"WHAT THE BUCK DO YOU WANT BIG MAC?!" Applejack yelled back in an angry tone, as if she was interrupted.

"COME OUT HERE! SOMEPONY IS HERE!" Big Mac yelled.

A minute later, Applejack stomped outside to see what her big brother wanted, then at the sight of Thunder, a large smile appeared on her face and she ran up to hug him. "THUNDER!!"

"Applejack!!" Thunder said back, hugging his little sister.

"We missed you so much!" Applejack said, giggling and looking up at Thunderblast.

"I missed you too little sister!" Thunder said, smiling back down at her.

Applejack backed up slightly, Thunder standing back up, and Applejack got a good look at her brother, who was different than last time.

"You've grown, Thunder! You almost look like Big Macintosh now with your muscles!" She said, smiling.

"Do I?" Thunderblast said back, chuckling.

"Nah, ah'm still bigger. Ah'm Big Macintosh." Big Mac said, smirking, and the two started laughing.

"Well, come in, Thunder! You gotta tell us all about Canterlot!" Applejack said, trotting over to the door and walking inside, Thunderblast and Big Macintosh following close behind.

Author's Note:

Here it finally is, Chapter 5. In this chapter, Thunderblast returns to Ponyville to see his family, and his marefriend?! I know shipping your OC(s) with Rainbow Dash is common, so please don't bash me about it.