• Published 8th Apr 2014
  • 491 Views, 27 Comments

A New Ruler - ThePrinceOfTheNorth



Ella was just an average girl living in New York. One day, everything changed...

  • ...
10
 27
 491

Chapte 8: Solstice

Chapter 8: Solstice

Winter did the same thing he’d done to get me and Luna to Sanctuary back on Earth, and I have to admit, it was kinda fun. I was the last one to go, but was ready for the trip this time. Once we arrived, Winter told me to open my eyes. I did as I was told, and was awestruck at what lay before me.

In front of me was a wall at least five hundred meters tall, made entirely of white marble with gold inlay. A gate made of solid gold with very intricate markings rising three quarters the way up the wall opened as we approached, making very little noise despite it’s size. The inside of the city was a mix of colonial-style marble buildings and high-tech spires, all designed to be symmetrical to the city enterance. I stopped to take it all in.

We were standing on the main street, which must have been at least four kilometers long, at then end of which I could barely see a gold gate past all the people walking about.

Winter noticed the look on my and Twilight’s faces and turned to face us. “Ella Moonstone and Twilight Sparkle,” Winter said, “I welcome you to Solstice, last of the great cities of the Imperial Kingdom of Solstice, and it’s Imperial Capital.”

“This,” Twilight sputtered, “This is amazing!”

“I know,” Winter said as he began walking downthe street with Luna.

The people cleared a path for them. Me and Twilight quickly followed after them.

“This city was the center of the Kingdom until the other great cities declared war on each other and Solstice,” Winter continued as we walked, “The assault on Solstice was the worst, destroying most of the city’s outer limits. And when the Wendigoes came, almost everything was lost. I managed to save Solstice iteself, and temporarily exiled my citizens to protect them, but the others two cities were lost,” Winter paused to take a breath, “After the Wendigoes finished reducing the other two great cities to the snow-filled ruins they still are today, they left for Equestria. I began rebuilding my city and restoring as much of the land as I could. At least the lands within and surrounding my city are as they were before. My people returned as soon as the Wendigo threat passed, and have created firm trade routes with Equestria in recent years.”

We arrived at the golden gate fifteen minutes later. The gate was almost half as wide as the street, and resembled that of the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg. In fact, the whole palace looked like the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg, only that the gate and outer wall were bigger. The Solstice Guards that were there opened the gate and the four of us walked in. Winter turned to face me and Twilight.

“This is my home, the Winter Palace or Hall of Solstice.”


“It looks beautful,” Twilight exclaimed, unable to hold her excitment.

“Indeed it does,” said Winter, “Now, follow me and we’ll go inside.”

We followed Winter and Luna through the doors of the palace. The interior was a lot like the exterior. White marble with gold inlays. The ceilings depicted scenes from Equestria’s history, which struk me as odd.

“Um, Winter,” I asked.

“Hmm,” Winter said as he turned around.

“Why do the ceilings depict scenes from Equestrian history instead of Solstice’s history,” I asked.

“They weren’t originally painted,” Winter said, “I actually painted them about a decade or two ago, after I joined the Council of Equus.” I nodded and we proceeded onward.

“This is the Winter Hall,” Winter said as we entered a large ballroom. There were stairs at the far end with a throne on the first landing. We headed toward these stairs, climbing the set that led left from the landing. It lead to the Royal Bedrooms and Library. Only one door in the hallway was closed.

“Winter, what’s in there,” I asked.

“Why, my transformation devices,” Winter replied, “The final prototypes for the ones I sell on Earth. Want to have a look?”

“Sure,” I said.

“Twilight, would you like to take a look,” Winter asked.

“No thanks,” Twilight replied, “I’ll continue on with Luna.”

Winter nodded and Luna and Twilight walked off down the hallway, turning a corner out of sight.

Winter pulled a key from his coat and unloked the door. We went into the room. There were pedastals at regular intervals all around the room, of which I counted twenty in all, each differing in size, and each had something placed on it. I walked around looking at the devices. They varied in type and size. One was a costume that turned you into whatever the costume was, another was a labeled bottle telling you what you’d transform into by drinking the contents, and another was a necklace that transformed you using an enchantment bestowed upon the necklace. There were others, rings, darts, strange gems, but the one that seemed the most interesting was a small handheld on a pedastal in the center of the room.

“Ah, the TF Device,” Winter said when he saw me looking at it, “I put a high price tag on this as it can turn you into anything either temporarily or permanently. It also allows gender change, once again, temporary or permanent. This device allows you to do anything the other things in this room can do, really.”

“Wow,” I said in awe, “This is cool.”

“Cool indeed,” Winter said, “Let’s go, don’t want to keep Luna and Twilight waiting.”

Luna and Twilight were waiting with Snow, who had just arrived, in the palace dinning hall, which was huge.

“This place is gigantic,” Twilight said to me as Winter and I approached.

“I can see that,” I said.

“I’ve finished showing her around,” Luna said.

“Good,” Winter responded, “Now then, you look tired, and so do you Snow. You two go get some sleep while I take these two back to Equestria.” They nodded and began walking to the Royal Bedrooms. Winter motioned me and Twilight to follow.

We made our way back to the city gates.

“It was nice to have visitors,” Winter said with a smile.

“It was nice to be here,” I replied. Twilight nodded in agreement.

Winter placed his hand on the back of Twilight’s neck and they vanished in a gust of wind. Moments later, another gust signaled Winter had returned.

“Your turn,” he said as he placed his hand on th back of my neck. I felt the wind rush past me for a moment before all was calm. I opened my eyes when I heard a bird chirp. Winter was standing beside me.

“I’ll be visitng with Luna soon,” he said, “Nightmare Night is next month, after all.” I nodded. It was early September, and school hadn’t started yet. I wondered if anyone would miss me, but decided it didn’t matter.

“See you then,” I replied. Winter nodded before disappearing in a gust of wind. I turned to see Twilight waiting for me. I looked around to get my bearings.

I was in an orchard, but there were numerous orchards in Equestria. I glimpsed a sign as I reached Twilight. I decided to investigate, Twilight following.

I examined the sign and instantly knew where I was. The sign read Sweet Apple Acres. I was in Ponyville at last.