• Published 30th Mar 2014
  • 4,191 Views, 76 Comments

The Ginger Changeling King - TTV_KingPhoenixEmbers



Celestia meets with a Changeling King for some peace talks. She can only hope that her ponies will be just as welcoming.

  • ...
9
 76
 4,191

Chaper Four: When the Sun is Too Bright

Chapter Four

When the Sun is Too Bright

Phoenix groaned pitifully as the sun peeked up over the horizon, shining through the window and straight onto his face. Clenching his eyes shut, he called upon his magic to draw the curtains shut before sighing happily as the bright light stopped bothering him. Naturally, that was when somepony knocked on the door, before entering his room and quietly shutting the door behind them.

“Dad?” Phoenix recognized the voice, it was Mirror Vanity. “It’s time to get up.”

Phoenix groaned once more, pulling the bed sheets over his head. “Go ‘way.”

He could practically hear Mirror rolling her eyes. "Can't do that, boss. You're the one who told me to wake you up."

"I take it back. Lemme sleep in."

"You also told me to not allow that."

Phoenix finally peeled the sheets off his head, just enough to glare at Mirror through a half-open eye. "I did not."

"No, you didn't, but I'm still not letting you go back to sleep."

Phoenix ignored her, instead choosing to bury his head under his pillow, and pulling the sheets back over his head. "It's too early..."

Mirror sighed, shaking her head. "I know it is, but you need to get up and meet Celestia for breakfast. You did promise her."

Her king didn't move for nearly a minute, and she wondered if she was going to have to wake him up again. She knew from personal experience that doing so was a very dangerous practice and should only be done in an emergency.

But Phoenix stirred before she had to, peeling the silk sheets off his head and giving the ceiling an annoyed glare. Mirror winced at the familiar expression.

"I'll be there in a bit." Phoenix grunted, as he slowly got out of bed. "Just let me freshen up."

"Alright, I'll let the princess know." Mirror started towards the large doors, but paused for a moment.

Phoenix stopped stretching when he noticed her staring. "...what?"

Mirror finally snapped out of her stupor long enough to wrap her king in an ursa bear hug. "It's so good to see you again."

Phoenix smiled, hugging her in return. "It's good to see you too." He held his changeling close for a moment, soaking up his love for her, before gently letting go. "Go get some coffee. Little Star must've kept you and Steel up late."

Mirror giggled, smiling to Phoenix as she opened the door. "I'll be sure to save you some coffee, but if you take too long I’ll drink it all."

Phoenix chuckled to himself as Mirror saw herself out of the room. He took a few moments to simply gather his thoughts, letting the crisp morning air wake him before entering the bathroom for a few moments. The silly place was far fancier than any he’d seen back at his hive, but given that this city was the cultural and political center of Equestria, he wasn’t all that surprised.

Although Phoenix did think that the sheer amount of gold was a bit overwhelming.

A scant few minutes later, Phoenix stepped out of the guest room, and smiled to the two guards still standing there.

“Good morning, Winter Day, Summer Night.”

Winter smiled as he bowed to his king. “Good morning, my king.” He gave his king an amused look. “Did you torment Mirror when she tried to wake you?”

Phoenix chuckled. “Just a little.” He glanced at the two night guards across from them. “Gonna introduce me to your friends?”

Summer chuckled. “The mare on the left is Sunset Comet, and the stallion is Moonlit Flight.”

Phoenix bowed his head to them politely, to which they merely nodded in reply. “Shall we head to breakfast? Mirror promised to save coffee for me, as long as I’m not late, otherwise she’s gonna drink it all.”

Summer chuckled again, as she took the lead. “Smart filly. The kitchen’s this way.”

The other three guards followed, the two night guards taking the back of the little parade with Winter Day walking alongside and chatting calmly with his king. It wasn’t until they passed a cowering maid that Phoenix finally noticed they weren’t taking any of the back passages.

“Summer, are you sure we should be out in the open hallways like this?” he commented, doing his best to not seem intimidating to any of the castle staff, none of whom seemed able to look him in the eye.

Summer Nights froze in place. “Uh...”

Winter slapped a hoof into his face. “You didn’t even consider the back passages did you?”

Despite being on duty, the two night guards chuckled to themselves. Sunset chirped up, “Summer’s been like that as long as I’ve known her, and it’s too late now, so we might as well keep going.”

Phoenix gave the two of them an amused look. “Aren’t on-duty guards supposed to not talk?”

Moonlit smacked Sunset’s side, earning himself a dark glare. He just rolled his eyes. “He’s right, Sunset, we’re technically not supposed to talk... but it is too late now. Especially since we’re already here.”

Phoenix noticed the open doors, and the voices coming from inside. He recognized a few of them, and held up a hoof as he frowned at some of the words.

“You just left him there?!”

“I’m not gonna just stand there and watch as he uses the bathroom! That’s just wrong on so many levels!”

“How do I know he’s not just plotting something?!”

Phoenix heaved a sigh, recognizing those other voices as Princess Cadence and her husband. He was about to march in there when an idea struck. Summer Nights and Winter Day weren’t sure they liked the look on their king’s face. The two night guards weren’t all that sure as to what it meant, but from the way their fellow guards were acting, it was the kind of trouble that their mistress would very much approve of...

“Just what has it that’s got you so bloody paranoid?” Mirror snarled at Captain Armor. “You’ve been an ass to me and my husband ever since you found out I was a changeling!”

“Well that’s just it, isn’t it?!” he snarled. “The last time I trusted a changeling, Canterlot paid the price!”

The changeling king raised an eyebrow at the words that were coming out of Mirror. He decided to remain silent as he entered the dining room, successfully keeping his presence hidden from the ponies arguing at the table, and grabbed a mug of fresh coffee.

Phoenix raised an eyebrow as he sipped his coffee, glancing over at the two elder princesses. Neither of them said a word, both of them were smirking at the way the king was so calm about the ranting going on. He didn’t even seem to be flinching at the way the only other four ponies at the table were shouting at each other.

Luna timed her intervention perfectly. “So how was your rest, King Phoenix?”

Mirror Vanity, Shining Armor, and Princess Cadence froze at those words. The three of them slowly turned their heads to see the king calmly sipping the last of his coffee. Mirror’s eye twitched.

“It was a very nice rest, Princess Luna.” Phoenix complimented politely. “You have some very nice beds and suites in the castle. Though... I must admit it took me some time to get used to how soft that bed was.”

Luna gave a chuckle. “Yes, I must admit that I had a difficult time adjusting to the luxuries that ponies these days have as well, the beds being one of them.”

“Must’ve been much more difficult for you,” Phoenix commented. He paused for a moment. “No offense.”

Luna shrugged. “None taken.”

Phoenix gave her a glance, but put the cup down and let the topic drop. “Good morning.”

Mirror glared at her king. “How long have you been there?”

He smirked, “Long enough to finish my first cup of coffee.” Phoenix gave Mirror an innocent look. “When did you learn all those nasty words?”

“...I’m gonna throw a book at you this time.”

“Is it gonna have all those nasty words? Is that where you learned them?”

“Shut. Up.”

Phoenix chuckled as he snagged a slice of toast from the platter on the table, smothering it in grape jam. “No need to get so upset, I’m only kidding. How was your lack of sleep? Or did Star finally give you a break?”

Steelfury sighed, closing his eyes and laying his head on the table. “No such luck. It was my turn to stay up for him. I didn’t get a wink of sleep. I’m just glad one of the serviceponies in the castle is watching him right now to give us a break.”

Luna grimaced. “I’ll have an extra nice dream set aside for you.”

“Mmm... Princess, a full night’s sleep will suffice.”

Mirror slumped, exhaustion filling her to the bones. “Ugh. My turn tonight.”

Phoenix smiled as he swallowed his toast. “Don’t worry about Star tonight, Mirror.”

“Why not?”

The king took several moments to figure out how to word his thoughts. “Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, I would like to extend a formal invitation to my hive.”

There wasn’t a single pony in the room who didn’t stare at him like he’d lost his mind. Celestia was the first to recover.

“May I ask why?”

“The reasons are actually fairly simple: I’d like you to see our lifestyle.” Phoenix turned to look Shining Armor in the eye, glancing at Cadence a few times. “You as well, Captain, Princess Cadence. You need to see, straight at the source, that my hive and I are nothing like Chrysalis and her drones. Maybe then you can learn to at least tolerate us.”

Celestia looked down at her partially eaten salad, making a mental note to get herself some cake considering this difficult decision she was about to make. Then, with a heavy sigh, she nodded.

“I can see the benefits of seeing your hive with my own eyes, but I will not force anypony else to join.”

Phoenix nodded. “That’s only fair. I wouldn’t ask you to force anyone into going. That’d defeat the purpose of inviting you, anyway.”

Luna gave him a curious look after some thought. “Where is your hive anyway? At least the general location?”

Phoenix gave a smirk. “You might not like this, Captain.”

Shining Armor felt a shiver go down his spine. “What do you... where is it based?”

Mirror gave a nervous glance to her king, scooting closer to her husband nervously.

Phoenix’s smirk grew. “Are you sure you want to know? You won’t like what you hear, I guarantee it.”

Shining growled. “Where. Is. Your. Hive?”

There was silence for several long, tense minutes.

“My hive is located under Ghastly Gorge.”

Author's Note:

Dun dun dunnnnnn!