• Published 24th Mar 2014
  • 1,394 Views, 50 Comments

Time Doesn't Heal All Wounds - Caineachu



When the land of Equestria is decimated by an apocalypse, the Element of Honesty must do whatever she can to survive the world left behind

  • ...
6
 50
 1,394

Chapter Seven

Rainbow stared at the body for a while longer, just watching blood trickle onto the floor in stunned silence as it pooled around small fleshy chunks of brain and bone chippings from the skull.. Then she blinked, and realized that she was now alone upstairs. "Applejack, hey, wait up!"

She rushed down the stairs after her friend, who was at the front door, slipping into her boots. She already had her shirt back on, and her backpack was slung over a shoulder. She turned to look back at the pegasus. "What is it, Rainbow? I wanna get outta here."

Rainbow paused. She actually had a few things she wanted to say. "Did you know that thing was up there?"

Applejack had her boots on by this point, and was ready to go, but she didn't want to ignore her friend or the questions she was asking her, so she turned around to face her, frowning. "Look, when I checked the rooms before, the only thing I found up there was a body. Not some kinda nightmare trying to get a bite out of me."

"Are you sure?" When she saw Applejack's frown grow, she made a face at her own words and shook her head. "No, never mind, I trust you. I just...what the hell was that?"

"I don't know, Rainbow, but I'd really love ta just get outta here."

As she turned to leave the cabin, Rainbow closed the gap in a few steps, putting a hand gently on her friend's arm. "Wait, hold on...there's something else I gotta say first."

Even though Applejack could've easily kept going, she stopped at the contact. "Is it about what you were sayin' on the couch before?"

Rainbow's heart quickened just at the mention of it. "Well...yeah, it is."

Applejack turned around to face her, and for a split second, Rainbow got lost in those shining emerald eyes looking down at her. She swallowed, her hand falling back to its side. "Well, uh..." She shuffled her feet, suddenly incredibly nervous and at a loss for words.

"Dash, just say what ya got to. I won't be mad or nothin' at ya, I promise."

"You promise?"

"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye." She even went through the motions of it. Rainbow couldn't help but smile a little at the display.

"Okay, um, I've been hiding this for a long time, actually...like before all of this end of the world stuff happened. I just want to say this in case, you know, something would happen to one of us or something..." She looked down, not wanting to face Applejack as she admitted this. "I've always been really into you, AJ. Like it used to just be as a friend, you know, someone who I could count on and depend on and help out and stuff. Like we have a good thing goin', and it's been awesome the whole way. But...for a lot of that, I've been holding onto a crush for you. Which you know, isn't really anything, crushes are small and easy enough to get over. Only this isn't a crush anymore, I don't think. I think..."

She seemed to be shrinking back from Applejack as she continued. "I think I'm in love with you, Applejack. I was so worried that I'd never find you, and I was slowly losing my own drive to go on, but then I did and I felt so, so happy that my heart ached just looking at you again...but I don't want to make things weird or have us not talk anymore or lose my best friend or some other stupid shit, but I can't stop thinking about it and I don't know-"

"Rainbow." The blue pegasus closed her mouth, slowly looking up at Applejack. The orange mare had a soft smile on her face, and she was holding her arms out. "C'mere."

Rainbow hesitated before she moved forward, wrapping her arms tight around the apple farmer. Her head buried itself into Applejack's neck as she felt her friend's arms move around her, holding her close against her. She could detect the smell of apples on her orange fur, and she closed her eyes, the tension in her body leaving almost instantly.

"I missed you, Applejack."

"I missed you too, sugarcube."

They stayed in the embrace for a while longer before Rainbow spoke again. "So, um. How do you feel? About me?"

Applejack gently leaned back enough to look down at Rainbow, her arms unwrapping themselves from around her friend. "To be honest, Dash, I'm not sure. Part of me wants ta say I feel the same way ya'll do, and there are definitely times when I do, and there have been in the past. When I first saw ya right on that there porch, well, I was happy as all heck, and I'm glad you're here with me now, and I care about you a whole lot. But then again, another part of me isn't positive about it. I'm jus'...I ain't absolutely sure, I guess. But I am leaning towards agreeing with ya."

She offered the blue mare a small smile. "I think...we could jus' try it, and see what happens. I'd be up for it, if you are."

Rainbow looked up at her, processing the new information. She didn't get a "no" like she had been expecting, but it wasn't really a yes, either. Still, AJ wanted to try it, and she knew she did as well. She gave a grin back up at the apple farmer. "Yeah. Absolutely, I am."

"Heh, I figured ya would be. Now let's get-"

Anything Applejack was about to say was lost as she felt Rainbow's lips pressed against hers. Her train of thought derailed in a spectacular crash, and her cheeks burned with a sudden heat. However, she found herself shutting her eyes, pressing back into the kiss, her heart drumming against her chest. She could feel the blue pegasus wrapping her arms around her as the kiss continued, and instead of leaning back, she did the same in return, her own arms embracing her smaller friend and pulling her against her. Their hands both trailed up their backs before getting tangled in the hair on each other's heads.

The kiss was held until they both ran out of breath, unaware that they both had forgotten to breath through their noses while it was happening. They stared at each other after their lips parted, panting lightly with flushed cheeks. Applejack felt an old but familiar sensation around her stomach, and she figured she knew exactly why it was there.

"...Damn, Applejack." Rainbow grinned up at her, her magenta eyes shinning back up into Applejack's green orbs. Applejack smiled back, and her heart and her mind were both telling her the same thing.

Yeah, she could definitely get behind this.

Author's Note:

I think this is the only chapter so far that didn't have some kind of fight scene in it.
Also ROMANCE!