• Published 24th Mar 2014
  • 1,394 Views, 50 Comments

Time Doesn't Heal All Wounds - Caineachu



When the land of Equestria is decimated by an apocalypse, the Element of Honesty must do whatever she can to survive the world left behind

  • ...
6
 50
 1,394

What If Everything Went Wrong?

Author's Note:

This chapter is an entirely hypothetical ending, like a "what if everything suddenly went wrong" sort of deal. I'll have the real chapter up either today or tomorrow.

The snarls and groans of the creatures were right on their heels as they ran back up the stairs. Applejack's heart was pounding fiercely against her chest as she ran back into the room with all the clothing racks, Rainbow right behind her. She slammed the door closed behind them, pressing her body up against it as she felt fists strike the other side of the wood. "Rainbow, get some of those clothing racks over here, NOW!"

"On it!" The pegasus bolted over to the closest one, giving it a hard shove so it rolled over in front of the orange mare. She moved from her spot in front of the door, tipping the rack over to it fell in front of the closed door. Another was pushed over to her, and she pushed that one over as well. Soon enough, there was a large pile of costumes and metal clothing racks barricading the door, bangs and moans and yells audible on the other side. Applejack stepped away from the door, her breathing heavy as Rainbow nearly shuddered next to her. "Sweet Celestia...what are those things?"

"I...I don't know, Rainbow. But I do know that we need ta get the hell outta here." She turned around, looking right at the window. "We'll jus' go back the way we came, easy as apple pie."

They both walked over to the window to peer out into the night, and their hearts both froze in their chests as they saw even more shuffling about outside the building they were trapped in. Rainbow Dash groaned in frustration. "Are you kidding me? Where the...where did all of them come from?"

"They were probably in all the houses around here, and came when we stirred up this ruckus..." Applejack stuck her head outside, looking around to force some kind of idea to come to mind. To her surprise, one actually did. "Alright, this is easy. We jus' get on the rooftops, and we keep up on 'em and hop on out of here. Then we can jus' be on our way!"

"AJ, I could just fly us out of here."

"No can do, Rainbow, I don't want ya gettin' tired while we're both hoverin' over any of 'em. Last thing we want to do is deliver ourselves right to 'em. Come on now, let's do this." She hoisted herself out of the window, turning herself around so she could face the edge of the roof. She leaped up, her fingers curling around the edge and gripping tightly as she pulled herself up, swinging her legs up and over as she climbed onto the roof. The blue mare followed her out, flapping her wings to land next to her.

Applejack turned to face the adjacent rooftop, and she took off with a dash, about to make a huge leap when she reached the edge of the roof. Unfortunately, she misjudged the edge a bit, which made her stumble and destroyed any momentum she was carrying. She fell forward, her stomach colliding with the adjacent rooftop and knocking the air out of her. She gripped at the shingles, but couldn't get a good hold before she fell down to the ground, landing with a hard thud.

----------

"You fuckers stay the hell away from her!"

The orange mare slowly blinked her eyes open, suddenly aware of two things: that she was lying on the hard ground, and that her head was throbbing with pain. She groaned, her head turning back to look at whoever yelled. Her eyes widened when she saw Rainbow, wings torn to shreds, standing her ground and single-handedly taking on several of the creatures who dared to come close. Her arms moved in a flurry of strikes, her bat lashing out and viciously smashing the skull of anything that came too close, but even so, she would soon be overwhelmed. The orange mare stood up, clutching her head with her left hand as the other drew her revolver. "Dash, get down!"

The pegasus glanced back before ducking down, and AJ pointed the revolver up at the creatures about to attack her friend, fanning the hammer as fast as she could, emptying the cylinder in a second. Her shoots rang true, striking the creatures in their rotting heads and causing them to collapse heavily to the ground. Rainbow scooted backwards before standing up, clutching her bat as Applejack reloaded. As impressive and deadly as her firing was, all it did was attract more of the horde to the small alley they were in. They shuffled closer, and Applejack turned to Rainbow, her head still throbbing, but not nearly as fast her heart. "I'm sorry, Dash. For all of this."

Rainbow looked back, wearing the same cocky grin she usually displayed. "It's alright, AJ. Even the great must fall, and I'm just glad I get to fall with you."

Despite the situation, Applejack couldn't help but grin back at her before they turned back to face their doom. As the horde descended upon them, shots rang out and craniums could be heard breaking apart before they were overpowered by the moans and groans of the undead.