• Published 26th Mar 2012
  • 1,135 Views, 13 Comments

CKF - Doctoroctagonapus21



A stubborn hotel owner runs across an unusual pony who must work to pay off her new debt.

  • ...
0
 13
 1,135

Ch. 2: An Uninvited Guest

After Moneybags' departure, the day went on like any other: checking customers in and out, preparing the rooms, etc. Soon, night fell and everypony went home or to their rooms. Around midnight, Cassie brought a couple towels out to the beach for her and Kody to lay on as they took in the scene. After a long day of dealing with customers, something like this was a nice break.

"Kylie give you any trouble tonight?" Kody asked as he saw his long time best friend walking towards him.

"Not tonight. She's getting better about going to bed on time. However..." Cassie began with a sigh, "I just wish I didn't have to change the sheets every time she does." and finished as she laid out the towels on which the two ponies perched themselves.

"She'll grow out of it." Kody responded.

The moon was full that night and the stars were shining bright as the gentle sound of waves caressed their ears. For what seemed like forever, the two sat in each other's company. Neither wanted it to end as such moments didn't come very often. Cassie looked over at Kody, bathed in moonlight, his coat glistening. The blush that came to Cassie's face was well hidden because of her red coat as she said to him, "You're glowing."

"Hm?" Kody turned his gaze to her.

"The moonlight makes it look like you're glowing." she said with a smile. He smiled back and Cassie began to lean in. "You know, I never told you..." but before she could finish the thought, a small voice behind them called her name.

"Auntie Cassie?" Cassie and Kody turned around and saw Kylie standing a short distance away from them, looking embarrassed. "I had a nightmare and..."

"Did you wet the bed again?" Cassie asked, slightly exasperated. Kylie nodded shyly. With a sigh, Cassie stood up and trotted over to Kylie, patting her on the head. "Don't worry. I was the same way at your age. Come on, let's go change the sheets. It's bedtime for me anyway."

"Wait!" Kody called out. "What were you going to say?"

"Uh, it's not important right now." Cassie quickly stated, urging Kylie forward. "Come on, pumpkin." Kody sat there, looking somewhat confused.

"What were you talking about?" Kylie asked as the two went inside.

"Nothing you need to worry your cute little head about right now." Cassie responded.
<hr>
A couple hours later, Kylie and Cassie were in their room, on the first floor sound asleep, when a sudden crash rouses both of them from their sleep.

"What was that?" Kylie asked, rubbing her eyes.

"Not sure." Cassie responded, putting on her glasses and not bothering to put her mane up. "Stay here. I'll go check it out."

As she walked out into the hall she ran into Kody, who was also woken up from the noise. as well as the other guests staying on that floor. "Don't worry everypony!" Cassie addressed the crowd, "We'll go check it out, just go back to your rooms."

Cautiously, the pair crept downstairs to examine the situation. As they entered the lobby, they found a beer can in the middle of the floor. Looking over at the dining room, they thought they saw something moving so they quietly trotted up to the doorway and turned on the lights. A number of tables had been overturned, broken glass and crushed flowers littered the floor when another crash happened in the kitchen.

"A burglar?" Kody asked.

"Not sure. They might just be drunk."

Slowly, they peeked into the kitchen and noticed there was an unbalanced pegasus at the wine rack, but what was surprising was they appeared to be giving off a purple glow.

"What?" Kody said to himself. "How is that possible?"
"We can figure it out later." Cassie stated as she turned on the kitchen lights and moved in to apprehend the strange figure.

The pegasus turned around with some difficulty and it was clear she was drunk: trouble even moving around, slurred speech, eyes seemed bloodshot. "Hey there." the glowing pegasus said to Cassie as she approached. "You got anything stronger than this stuff?" The pegasus had green eyes, a messy purple mane, and a glowstick for a cutie mark.

"Who are you?" Cassie demanded.

"Hey, hey, hey. No need to... be so harsh. I tell ya what. Let's play hide and seek. If you find me, I'll tell you." and suddenly, the pegasus vanished except for a shadow on the floor which effortlessly breezed past them and up the stairs. Not long after, various thuds, crashes, and screams are heard and Cassie and Kody rush upstairs as fast as they can, carefully navigating the glass-riddled floor of the dining room.

As soon as they get up the stairs, virtually every guest in the hotel was up and out their doors complaining about how they're trying to get some sleep and things like that. Cassie again addressed them, "We have a... very... unique situation going on right now. All of you, tomorrow, breakfast is on the house. Now please, go back to your rooms and we'll get the situation taken care of."

The guests grumbled as they all trotted back into their rooms. As soon as the last door had closed, a short yelp came from Cassie's room and they ran in as fast as they could only to behold a rather awkward situation: the glowing pony was passed out, head surrounded by vomit and hindquarters sticking up in the air...

Kylie looked up and Cassie, hoping for an explanation. Cassie only said, "This is why you shouldn't drink."