• Published 15th Apr 2014
  • 1,091 Views, 57 Comments

Property of the Crystal Empire - TheMessenger



Ponies settling on the western edge of the Crystal Empire have been disappearing and there are rumors of Changelings in the area. Shining Armor leads an investigation, with Cadence following right behind. Written in the form of a journal.

  • ...
3
 57
 1,091

Mar 23rd to ?

23(?)-MR-1204

I think I've lost a day, maybe two. Princess Cadence doesn't know how long I've been unconscious, but I know I've spent about a day gathering my bearings. My head isn't as fuzzy as yesterday, so at least now I can write.

It's just the two of us, the princess and I, stuck in some subterranean cavern. An old mine from the reign of the accursed Sombra perhaps? Doubt it, it's a little too small to be something like that. I might check if there any crystals around later.

It's definitely Princess Cadence. Pass code and everything checks out, so that's a relief, though now that I think about it, and I really wish I hadn't, I would much prefer being stuck with an imposter if it meant the princess wasn't in this kind of situation. Then again, at least this way I can confirm Princess Cadence's status. Not that my confirmation matters much at the moment.

I need to stop thinking, my head still hurts. Maybe a recap will be less mentally strenuous.

After some discussion with the princess, it's safe to conclude that we were attacked. It must have been the changelings, I can't think of any other possible enemy, but that doesn't make much sense. Why would they go this far just to track and hunt us down? Were they somehow unaware of the snowstorm? Did they think they could take us out before the blizzard hit? And what were they trying to achieve by the attack? Why then and not earlier? I'm getting a headache trying to guess the rationale behind these actions. Didn't I say I'd stop thinking so hard? Maybe that's just how and what changelings are, unpredictable and irrational monsters. I don't know. I wish Shimmer was here to explain.

They struck during breakfast, while we were still cleaning up. I was in the middle of tying my saddlebags straps when I heard the scream. I remember Shining Armor's horn lighting up, followed by as sudden explosion. I remember a command, "Protect the princess!" and rushing to her side. I remember looking for Shimmer as I wrestled with my sword. There was a black blur flying toward the princess, then away. Somepony screamed run, and we ran. The princess tripped, and I was the closest. As I tried helping her back to her feet, she cried out, and I reflexively looked up. A horrible shiny black creature was charging at us, and I dropped my blade. I remember scrambling for the weapon, seeing Princess Cadence's horn glow, and the ground giving way. That's when I blacked out.

I awoke some time later, my saddlebags torn, my helmet dented, and my sword missing its sheath. Princess Cadence made sure to remove all the snow from my body and kept my head elevated. She doesn't think there's any lasting damage. I guess the helmet took the blunt of it. Still hurts, but now I'm just complaining.

No one else fell besides us. There's a changeling corpse we tried burying. That was another indication of the attack, but it took a few minutes for me to recognize what it was. Doesn't really matter, it's probably not in much of a talkative mood.

Speaking of speaking, the princess and I have also been somewhat quiet. We're both really tired. She's napping right now. Ponyfeathers, I should have made sure she hadn't sustained any injures. I'd better go wake her up and sure all her bones are intact.

*

I wonder if Princess Cadence has ever taken martial arts. I'm pretty sure my nose is broken. Or maybe I'm just being a big baby.

Anyways, Princess Cadence is fine, mostly. She's rolled an ankle, but there doesn't seem to be anything beyond that. She's just tired. I'm exhausted myself. As much as I'd like to try and make some escape plans, I having trouble seeing straight. There's barely any light in here.

Princess Cadence agreed to wake me up in an hour, and I've wasted how much time already writing in this journal? Confounded book and pen, this is witchcraft.

*

The princess let me sleep a little longer. I want to say I wish she hadn't, but my body disagrees with my pride. It's amazing what good a nap can do for you. My headache's gone, that's good. Only problem is how numb I feel because of the cold. That, and I'm getting a bit hungry. Great, know that I'm thinking about it, I'm starving. Nothing I can really do about food, but at least we can deal with the cold.

I'm just going to come out and say it, alicorns are heavy. I can barely hold her upright, and her chin's really digging into my back. At least it's warm, but I'm not sure how'll I'll ever look Shining Armor in the eye after this. For some reason, I half-expect him to pop out in front of us, and I'd scream, "It's not what it looks like!" or something like that. I might just be delirious. Better think of something to occupy my mind. I've got to keep writing if I want to stay awake. The last thing we want is for both of us to fall asleep.

Let's see, escape options. Well, we're more in a very deep hole than a cave, considering how there doesn't seem to be any paths leading further in or further out. The only idea I can think of is up. There's a little hole at the top, where I'm getting my writing light and how I'm keeping track of time, but I can't tell if it's large enough for a pony to crawl through. And then there's the question of reaching that hole in the first place. I don't know about the princess, but I'm in no condition to fly.











I can't feel my wings. Oh stars above, I just realized I can't feel my wings. Are they still there? I can't see them. I need Shimmer, she'll help she save where is






I need to calm down. I'm probably just numb from the cold. I'll just have to find the courage to ask the princess if she can hold them and keep them warm instead.

Okay, now I know Shining Armor is going to kill me. It might be easier to see if I can make a fire with what's left of my saddlebags and this journal. I'm sure the librarians wouldn't mind who am I kidding? Can't start burning Crystal Empire property now. I'm not desperate enough to become an arsonist. Ask me again in a few hours. Or right now. Can't reach the bags, princess too heavy, oh well. I just hope I can find a match or some flint later.

Where was I? Back to escape plans.

So, only way out is up, and it's a long way up. Maybe the rest of the squad can find and rescue us, but I'm not too optimistic. Hopefully Princess Cadence will have some better ideas. She might have some sort of spell that could help us out. I'm sure that horn's not just for decoration, but whether she's in any condition to cast magic is a different story. We'll have to see once she awakens.

I wish I had a comb. I have a sudden urge to brush the princess's mane. It is very pretty.

I wonder how the others are doing. I hope they're faring better than us. I want to say I remember seeing Shimmer close to Shining Armor. If that's true, she'll be fine. Well, fine as long as the guard-captain is fine. I'm sure she'll be fine too.

See? I can be optimistic. Heck, I'm sure Tick and Sparky are perfectly okay too. They might already be in town and organizing a search party. Yep, as long as I keep ignoring the howling winds outside, I can keep telling myself that everypony else is peachy keen.

When was the last time I've had a peach? Have I ever had a peach before? I've had crystal berries and apples before, but for the life of me I can't remember what a peach tastes like. I know they're supposed to be sweet. Most fruit are.

Maybe food isn't the best topic to dwell on. Then again, the hunger could keep me awake, either the noisy rumbles from my belly or the stinging pain. Plenty of snow around. Don't eat the yellow snow. Don't eat the black stuff either. Doesn't look very filling. I wonder, if I made a ice sculpture in the shape of a pie, could I trick myself into thinking it tasted like one too? Pie does sound good.

You have to respect mathematicians. The furthest I can correctly recite pi to is four digits. How those ponies manage to work with more is beyond me, which is probably why those ponies have degrees and get to sit in nice cozy campus offices while I'm stuck down here, freezing my tail off. Then again, how many mathematicians can say they've held a princess? I can't feel my shoulder. How is she so heavy?

Speaking of heavy things, I've been thinking about writing down a last testimony and will in here, just in case. I don't know how much weight such a document would have, considering how I don't have a lawyer with me. Is that how wills work, with lawyers and stuff? I don't know. I just hope whoever gets my sock collection is somepony who appreciates it and keeps it organized. You know what, I think I'll take my collection with me. No, you know what, I think I'm going to survive, just to make sure it's taken care of.

That was a joke, of course. I don't have a sock collection. I wonder what the princess would look like in a set? Or Shimmer? I wish I was an artist. I wish I was a lot of things, the first most being not here.

My jaw's beginning to hurt. It's times like these when I wish I was a unicorn. How convenient would it be to be able to hold a pen with magic? I've heard that's a pretty difficult trick for most unicorns, however. I think I remember even Shimmer taking notes with her mouth. Maybe I should learn how to write with my wings. Not that it would help us right now.

Has it already been almost an hour already? It's amazing how quickly time passes when you write. Just as well, I'm so tired I'm having trouble keeping this pen steady. I hope I have extra pens in my bag. If there are, I hope they're also intact and usable.

I need to remember to ask the princess to keep my wings warm when I wake her up. I hope she doesn't hit me again.

*

It was a shorter reprieve, about half an hour. I'm still a little tired but it's necessary. The princess and I can't just assume Shining Armor and everypony else will be able to find us in time. We need to have some sort of plan. It's time for some brainstorming, and I've been promoted to royal scribe (a jest from the princess herself, didn't Shimmer say something similar?).

1. One of us flies through the entrance above us and grabs help.

Pros: It's simple, doesn't require too much preparation.

Cons: Very risky and very dangerous; the weather outside could be dangerous, we would have to split up, and there is no definite possibility of finding Shining Armor and everypony else. We don't know if the rescued pony could find their way back here, and by then it might be too late.

2. Sit and wait.

Pros: We won't be separated. Princess Cadence can use her magic to create flares in order to show our location. We'll have protection from the weather.

Cons: We don't have time to wait. The cave keeps us safe from the elements outside, but we don't have any food. There's no definite possibility of Shining Armor and the rest of them finding us, even with the flares. Additionally, the magic will quickly drain away the princess's remaining reserves, and the signals could attract hostiles instead.

3. Same as 1, but with both of us instead of just one.

Pros: We'll stick together.

Cons: It's still risky; the weather is still a danger, and who can say if we can find help out there. Still, it's better than nothing.

4.







It's been almost an hour, and we're still trying to come up with a fourth idea. I don't think there is one. We were running out of time, and now we're running low on options. Our best bet is number three, but considering how high the entrance is and how I'm grounded for the time being, I'm not sure how I can escape. It's my turn for a nap. Maybe I'll figure something out after some sleep. I'll try to get an exact estimate on the height later. There might be some footholds, haven't really bothered exploring our shelter.

*

Shimmer and I were in a small canoe. There weren't any paddles, we just drifted in a cool blue lake. I could almost feel the warm sun rays fall upon my body. My wings were huge, large enough to blanket us both as we nestled against each other. She leaned forward, and I can't remember what happened next. Princess Cadence woke me up too soon. I forgot to ask her to hold my wings.

Time to do a bit of exploring. I don't think I'll be able to move the princess so guess I'm stuck using just my eyes. It'll be harder to examine details, but at least I can take notes while I'm looking around.

Not much to see. There doesn't seem to be any paths leading elsewhere, which would be odd if this were a mine. Even if it were a natural cavern, one would expect maybe an exit or a way leading into a deeper chamber. Perhaps those ways were blocked off by cave-ins. There does seem to be a few rocky edges poking out of the snow. I'll have to see if they can be used as footholds later. I can't fly so I'll need an alternative way to get to the exit above us. I suppose the princess could try carrying me up there. Actually, that sounds silly. Alicorns might be tougher than the average pony, but I doubt she has the energy right now to fly with a heavy armored guard on her back. Even if I ditched the armor, I don't think the princess could carry me.

Then again, I probably lost a lot of weight recently, I might be light enough to be carried. On the other hoof, the princess feels pretty thin herself, she probably doesn't have the strength. Plus, I would hate to be remembered as the one guard who had to be carried by his princess. I'd die from the embarrassment, if the Guard-Captain didn't kill me first for riding his wife.

Sparky would be proud of me for that one. Or was it Tick? It was Tick, I meant Tick. Oh goodness, I'm getting those two all mixed up now. It might be a pointless endeavor, but during my next watch I'll see if I can find any sustenance. Maybe I packed something in my saddlebags, or maybe I might find some mushrooms. Yes, I've become desperate enough to want mushrooms, nasty little things.

At least I have plenty of ink and plenty of paper. The trick is making sure I've got things to write about. And there's only one pen, so I need to be careful. All my spares broke when we fell. Maybe I shouldn't use it so liberally.

Hour's up, time to wake up the princess.

*

25(?)-MR-1402

Stupid, stupid, stupid fool. I messed up, big time.

I had decided to stretch my legs out for bit, do some foraging and exploration. Both proved to be unfruitful tasks as I found no food and discover nothing I hadn't already known. Rather than returning to the princess's warm side without accomplishment, I decided to try and see if I could climb my way to the hole at the top.

Big mistake. I had gotten pretty far, almost all the way to the top, before I lost my footing and feel. The snow softened the blow, the rocks did not. The jagged edges that had served as my steps became knives that stabbed and slashed through me as I tumbled back to the bottom. If the princess hadn't awoken from all the ruckus, I might have bled to death that day. I still might; we tried converting the remains of the saddlebags and strips of my coat into bandages, but it's barely holding. We've got nothing for sutures.

It was painful, and I'm still sore from the experience, but it could have been a lot worse. I almost wish it had been though, considering how much the princess had to suffer because of my stupidity. Princess Cadence had to spend some of her magic to make sure the wounds weren't infected and had to stay up all night so I could rest.

What kind of guard am I? I've inflicted more harm on my princess than I've managed to prevent. The very least I can do is try to keep watch while the princess sleeps. Really, that's all I can do now. I can't fly, I can't fight, I can barely move.

*

26-MR-1402

It's getting much colder. I didn't notice at first, but I must have accidentally enlarged the hole above us when I fell. Snow's beginning to fall in. The wind's getting louder, stronger. I don't think we have much time. We don't have any resources, and the temperature falls by the minute, we can't stay here for long.

Option 3 is out, thanks to my little tumble. There's no way I'll be able to climb out of this cave, and the princess agreed that her carrying me in our current conditions is impossible. Help isn't coming, and we won't last much longer without food, so sitting around twiddling our hooves around won't work. That leaves option 1. Since I'm incapacitated, that leaves Princess Cadence to try to reach the nearest town and fetch help. Based on the direction the wind's blowing, we know which way she'll need to go. It shouldn't be too far away, and the princess's endurance should hold out, at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself. It might be too much for a regular pony, but an alicorn princess should be fine.

The princess is not happy with this arrangement. She is unwilling to leave me behind as injured as I am, but Princess Cadence understands the situation. She will leave after a couple hours of rest and preparation.

I am confident that the princess will make it to town, and that's all that matters.

*

The princess has been gone for less than an hour, and I'm already missing her company. Conversation between us had been minimal, but her mere presence provided some alleviation to the cold loneliness I face now. Her body was also really warm. I miss that warmth. My traitorous body is forcing me to question if refusing the princess's cloak was a good idea. A selfish question, my mind and heart reminds me, for the princess needs it far more than I. My body is in no mood for reasoning. How does that old adage go?

The spirit is willing, the flesh is weak.

I've never tasted meat before, nor do I believe I will ever, but warm cider sounds good right now. It's a pity cider's so expensive in the Empire. Nectar is so much cheaper, and sweeter, but it loses a lot of its flavor after heating.

Speaking of heating








I honestly have no idea where I was going with that. I'm just looking for a distraction to take my mind off of the princess and her current task, but there's only so much I can write about snow, rocks, and cold. They should have sent a poet; the only word I can think of that rhymes with cold is old. And gold, maybe told. Sold.

How are you, Mr. Journal? Have I been treating you alright on this little journey of ours. You've been patient, listening to all my grievances and complaints, what about you? Is the floor too wet, is the pen too dry, are your pages still holding up? For a stack of paper glued together, you're pretty durable.

Listen to me, talking to a book like I'm expecting a response. Perhaps I've already gone mad from isolation. The psychologists must have messed up, I don't have the mental fortitude to be in the royal guard. How did I ever end up with my rank?

No, that's not true, my standing in the guard is proof, proof that I am a capable guard, proof that I am reliable, strong, and handsome to a fault. So I've made a few mistakes here and there. Everypony messes up once in awhile. Granted, most ponies don't end up in a cold underground cave, alone, injured, and without supplies. Most ponies also don't have a duty of keeping a princess safe, a duty I haven't been doing a good job of doing. Well, I suppose my mistakes don't look as bad when placed beside Shining Armor and his job of keeping Canterlot safe during his wedding.

That's not fair. The Guard-Captain does a wonderful job. Given the circumstances, he performed admirably. It's not like he injured himself while doing something stupid, forcing his princess to waste their limited time and energy on him.

Bold. Bold rhymes with cold. So does mold.

I wonder how far Princess Cadence has gotten. I don't know how I'd be able to estimate her progress. The thought just depresses me. I need to take a break, maybe a quick nap.












I can't sleep. I can't afford to. Without somepony watching over me, I might never wake up again if I do. Well, back to figuring out what to write, keep myself active and awake. If I can just last long enough for the princess to get help, I'll be fine. Easier said than done, I wish I slept before Princess Cadence left.

I've noticed the snow around me is red. My wounds must have reopened, not entirely surprising, but it is a bit worrying how I hardly feel anything. I'm so numb, I can barely feel the cold. No, that's not true, I can definitely still feel the cold. If that does happen, I'll either be extremely relieved or panicking.

There's nothing I can do about the wounds, besides applying pressure. There's nothing left that I can use for bandages, and I probably shouldn't move around too much. The cold snow might help slow the bleeding, but there's always the risk of infections.

I need to take a break, my jaw hurts from all this writing. It's times like this when I wish I was a unicorn. Don't worry, I'll be back soon.

*

Almost dozed off, that would have been dangerous. Funny, one moment the wind howls so loudly outside I can barely hear my own thoughts, the next utter, eerie silence. I can see stars. The storm must have died down. I hope the princess is alright. I'm sure she is.

The stars are beautiful, like little candles in front of a dark backdrop, or fireflies shimmering over a lake. I can almost trace out the Big Dipper. There's the North Star, right above the pole.

Are my friends watching these same stars? Is Shining Armor? Is <EXPUNGED> or Tick? Is Shimmer? Are they waiting anxiously for the princess and I? Is she?

The wind's picking up again. Soon, the snow will hide the stars and the light, and I will be alone once more, with only you and my dying pen for company.

*

I can barely keep my eyes open. These words I write are blurry. Everything is numb. I need to sleep.


To whomever finds this journal, I pray that you will find the kindness in your heart to return it and my sword to the Crystal Empire, where they belong.


I'm sorry <EXPUNGED>.

Curator's Closing Notes

Princess Mi Amore Cadenza was rescued on the twenty sixth of March, year 1204, by the remnants of Guard-Captain Shining Armor's squadron. After recovering from mild hypothermia at the western colony Fortitude, the princess led Guard-Captain Shining Armor and Captain Ironhoof to the location she had left Sergeant Major of the Guard Flash Sentry.

Princess Mi Amore Cadenza and Guard-Captain Shining Armor returned to the capital after recovering this journal and the Sergeant Major of the Guard's state issued sword. His body could not be located.

The report submitted to Her Royal Council of Protection by Guard-Captain Shining Armor confirmed the presence of hostile changeling activity and led to MCS03E0130, headed by Princess Twilight Sparkle (see unofficial report open to public by First Lieutenant Pole Sight for more details) and the rescue of approximately one hundred fifty kidnapped colonists.

Sergeant Major of the Guard Flash Sentry has since been declared Missing in Action and has been awarded the Silver Star for his services.