• Published 27th Feb 2014
  • 302 Views, 1 Comments

A Chance Flip By Life. - kento124



What if a single event could change your life? Whit if it was a coin of all things? Would you call heads or tails?

  • ...
 1
 302

Heads Or Tails?

A simple walk away from the long week of organizing and schedules. It was a beautiful day with the high sun and with a light breeze swaying the trees that stood along the path she walked. Each step seemed to drain the stress of the previous days away. With the near destruction of Ponyville due to the parasprite attack. A quiet walk is exactly what she needed; if she could do this while read a good book, then it would be perfection. But she would settle for a simple peaceful walk for now, just something to take her mind from Ponyville repair work for a few minutes.

Walking along what use to be the Running of the Leaves track on a day like this is doing her some good. It’s been, well, hectic since the initial damage reports came in. Everypony trying to buy the “worker’s” time to get their homes or shops fixed and running again. Every one of them pulling her attention left or right, tugging at her remaining patients. A simple walk like this is doing her wonders.

As she came around a bend, a lovely sight came into view. A small stretch a grass that lead out forming a hardly noticeable path through trees. She had no idea where it went nor did she want to find out. “just not in the mood” she thought. As she walked by, a small voice came from behind her.

“Twilight, Twilight,It's Lyra. We need to talk about Bon Bon's shop.” The voice seemed to be closer than Twilight wanted it to be and her heart raced a bit.

“No, no, no, not yet,” she whispered, quickly looking around for somewhere to hide. She saw the seemingly small pathway through the trees as the idea hit. Quickly, she moved a little down the path, turning and focusing on a nearby bush. She Closed her eyes as she thought of a spell. Upon finding it, she cast it as the voice seemed to be closer now.

“Seriously Twilight! Bon Bon needs her store fix badly, it's her home and her work,” she could hear Lyra calling more closely now.

'Oh, please work' Twilight hoped. She slowly cracked an eye saw that the bush she picked had rapidly grown to cover the path. She breathed a sigh of relief, only to have it cut short.

“Twilight!” Lyra yelled, “Man, i thought Rainbow said she went this way. If I don't find her soon, Bon Bon is going to freak out when she gets back.”

Twilight held her breath. 'Sorry Lyra but I just need a break' she thought as she turned to walk down the now hidden path. With each step, Lyra's voice grew more distant. “Rainbow, I told her I needed a break,” she whispered. She doesn't usually resort to childish pranks but the thought had some merit at the moment.She was so lost in such thoughts that she lost track of how far she was walked. By the time she came back to reality from her the idea of with Rainbow Dash, Twilight found herself standing in the middle of a large grassy field.

The sight itself made her pause to take it in. A large field that laid along the tree line encircled it. The field gave a feeling of untamed serenity as a small breeze swayed over the field as she noticed a large, strangely misshapen tree standing in the middle of the field. It seemed to want to grow to its left but changed its mind halfway and went to the right.

Twilight slowly walked up to the tree. As she approached the tree, she was surprised by its sheer size and what seemed like a small reddish objects hanging from its branches. With the wind blowing, one of the objects fell with a splashing sound. The noise caught her attention, turning to her left to find a small pond siting next to the tree. She gave a look around, “How come I’ve never found this place before,” she thought out loud with a smile growing on her face. With a soft thud, an object landed next to her, startling her Twilight looked to see what it was; a large red apple. She picked it up in a simple levitation spell. She slowly examined the fruit before taking a curious bite which surprised Twilight's taste buds with it’s sweet but tangy taste, “Okay, now this place is perfect.”

Twilight began to look around for a nice place to sit and relax. It didn't take long for her find such a place near the pond, between two of the tree’s roots that grew in what seemed to be a semicircle. As she sat, the petrifying calm seemed to drain her muscles energy and she slumped down. The noise of the tree and the grass swaying in the wind distracted her from her rapid mind. Within a few minutes of laying her head down, Twilight's eyelids slowly began to close as she slipped into a lovely sleep.



“Agh, what the hay just hit me?” Twilight moaned, covering her head with her front hooves out of pain. She slowly got up to look about, ”'and why is it so dark?” Giving a glance to the sky to find the sun wasn't in its high position but was settling, for the moon was taking its place.

“Dear Celestia, how long was I sleep?” Twilight looked about, trying to remember which way Ponyville was from here. A small glint caught her eye. She stepped closer to find it was a coin laying near the tree root she had slept next to. It reflected the last bit of sunlight of the day, which was cut off by her looming shadow. Twilight tried to lean closer make it out but due to being late, with little light left, she decided to take it home to get a better look at it later. As she levitated it she took a few steps away from the tree. “Now which way is Ponyville?”

“Well, if that’s what you’re looking for, I suggest you go that way, just beside that dead bush.”

Twilight jumped back from the voice. “Who are you? What are you doing here?” she sputtered out.

“Well, I usually visit this spot and to what, just relaxing. So what are you doing?” From the tone alone Twilight could tell it was a stallion’s voice. She had to squint to see the stallion walking out from the other side of the tree. Twilight could barely make out his coat color, a light tan. He seemed to be wearing a dark blue hoody, which covered his eyes and seemed to be pulled over what appeared to be his horn.

“Um,” Twilight tried to say something. His height was close to hers and his voice seemed soft. “Well, relaxing and...i lost track of time. Who are you?” The stallion gave a small cough as he sat down, and from the way his head was sit, she guessed he was staring at her.

“Well, I'll hopefully be moving into Ponyville soon, so I'll wait till then to introduce myself. you know mystery pony is always romantical idea. Shouldn't you be getting home now? It’s quite late.”

Twilight was puzzled by the his answer, not knowing what to say back exactly, “Right, um, thank you...I’d better be going,” she said while turning to where he stated. That was awkward Twilight thought as she slowly backed away, heading for the bush. Twilight gave the strange stallion a second glance. The sight of him still standing there with the tree's shadows crawling toward her shadowing out his body from view sent a down her body. Something about him seems weird, was the only other thought in Twilight's head, other than getting home. By the time she reached the dead bush, the slightly hidden path came into view.
..

The blue-hoodied stallion sat there as the young purple mare walked away. An enthusiastic grin formed on his lips as she looked back one last time. “Now this is going to be fun. Usually they scream and then the running, then the pleading. Hmm, wherever she lives is going to be a fun place. I can just feel it.”




“All right, I'll let her know as soon as she comes in,” he stated for what seemed like the twelfth time.

“Thanks Spike I really do appreciate this. I know this might sound weird, but I told Bon Bon that I could handle the shop while she was away. Really, thank you.” Lyra finished with another hug before leaving. Once they said their final goodbyes and she closed the door the door her, Spike let out a long-held sigh.

“That was the seventeenth one! For Celestia’s sake, Twilight, where are you?” The young dragon lowered his head in worry as he made the short trip into the kitchen. She had been missing for hours, which usually didn't bother him much. Spike knew if something came up or if a book merchant was in town, she’d simply lose track of time out of curiosity. But that wasn't what bothered him, it was the fact that nopony in town has apparently seen her anywhere since the early morning. Every single visitor he had was looking for Twilight. It's been nagging him since the fourth pony asking for her.

With the sound of the front door opening and closing snap Spike from his thoughts, who ever thought to be eighteenth pony to asked for Twilight.

“Spike, I'm back!” He turned and saw a slightly dirty purple unicorn with a caring smile.

“Twilight!” he almost yelled as he ran up to her from the kitchen. “Where were you all day? You kinda vanished without a trace.” The smile she wore shifted from caring too sheepish. Her fidgeting and her hung head became a little weird as well, as she crept to the nearby couch.

“Well...I was looking for a place to take a small break after seen Carrot Top and discussing her losses from the parasprite attack.” She paused while she got into a comfortable position on the couch. Spike took a seat next to her, curiously waiting for the next part. “I thought that the Whitetail Woods would be a good place to relax before the next pony I meet begins another long conversation of how bad the attack was.”

“So you hid on the path. But Lyra said she looked all up and down that path for you.”

“I found a small path on the track. It was so well-hidden that it was hardly noticeable. So I followed it to find out it lead to a small field with a apple tree and a small pound.”

“Wait, it had an apple tree? I thought Applejack said theirs were the only ones around here?”

“Yes true, but there's one growing there, and from what I could tell it’s been growing there for quite some time. It was really peaceful. In fact, I should take you there when some free time comes up.”

“That's nice in but why were so late coming back?”

“Well...”

“She fell asleep soon as her head hit the ground.”

Both Spike and Twilight bolted from the couch, a bit too much as Spike fell forward of his face. Twilight managed to land on her hooves to confront the mystery voice, launching a near by book with her magic.

“Wow,” said the stallion. “Now that was not friendly, you know.” Twilight was at a loss for words at the sight of the pony that stood before her, just on the other side of the couch. At nearly the same height, wearing the same blue hoody that covered his horn, the stallion offered a friendly smile that chilled her to the core. “You know, trying to peg a friendly pony with a book. It's quite a rude way to treat a guest.”

“T-T-Twilight, who is that pony?”

“What are you doing in my house? What do you want?” Twilight tried to make her voice sound confident. “You do understand that I'm Princess Celestia’s personal student, and I could forcefully throw you out. If you have a brain, you should leave now.”

“Wow, now. No need for hostilities.” he stallion said while waving one of front hooves. “Don't worry Spike, I'm your new roommate.” Time seemed to stop a his words. Twilight's mind sputtered as it tried to catch up.

“W-what?” said Spike

“R-R-Roommates? Wait WHAT!” Twilight nearly screamed.

“Yes roommates. Oh, don't worry about a room, don't need one. Haven't needed one for years now,” he nonchalantly said as he began to walk to the bookcase, slowly peering over the books that it held. “May I say a library in a tree is a new one, congrats on that.” It took her a while before she was able to recover from her shock. “Nice, Advance Multiplication Magic, Vol.7. Now that's a rare one.”

“What do mean roommate? I don't even know you and...” Twilight finally was able to say.

“And?”

“And...And...” she paused, looking for the lack of a better word for fear. You can't tell a strange pony to his face that's he's scary or creepy. Twilight thats a great way to end up in trouble . “J-just answer my question please.” He slowly turn his head toward her.

“Okay, you picked up my coin,” he stated like it was a known fact.

“Your coin?”

“Yes, the one that hit you on the head and then picked up.” As his words left his mouth, the horn under his hood glowed an amber color. Something small thudded on the floor. Twilight quickly turned her head to see Spike on his back. She frantically rushed to his side.

“What did you do to him?!” she yelled at him, checking to see if Spike was all right.

“Relax, he's fine, I just put him to sleep. The guy had literally had to answer half the town’s questions about you. He needed the rest.” She quickly checked to see if what he said was true with a sensory spell. She let out a sigh of relief when she confirmed that he was telling the truth. Twilight gave stranger a small glance as she tried to steady her heart rate.

“Just who are you, why are you here?” she asked, swallowing a small lump in her throat.

“As I said, you picked up my coin and so forth, so you now own it. So that means you entered into a contract with me...”

“Contract? What contract?”

“The contract that comes with ownership of that coin.”

Twilight stood there utterly confused. A contract? A coin? Just what in all things pure in Equestria is this crazy stallion talking about? What coin is

“It seems you remember, so what will it be?”

“What?”

“Your wish.”

“WHAT?!”