• Published 23rd Feb 2014
  • 511 Views, 10 Comments

Fleur de Lis and the Case of the Catastrophic Kidnaping - Modern Marvel



Fleur de Lis is brilliant. Besides modeling, she also engages in political intrigue, crumpling financial empires, and a bit of sleuthing. All for a price of course. Slight Marvel crossover.

  • ...
1
 10
 511

Booking

Politics are a tricky business. Full of nobleponies, believing that they are the best, each trying to take a bite out of that big apple. Take this stallion for instance.

“I was pleased to get you’re invitation Miss De Lis” This is an earth pony, his name is unimportant-in truth I don’t even know it- but he is a big up-and-comer in the court. He gains support over shallow claims of fighting for ‘equality between the races’ that is the three kinds of ponies, I’ve never heard him speak of zebras or donkeys.

“Can’t we discuss this reasonably, Sir?” I raise my eye brow at him from across my very long mahogany table. There is a smile forming internally. The length of my table, the craftsmanship, the price of the cloth draping over it, these are sources of pride for me. These symbols of my influence, so key to negotiations like these.

“I don’t see what’s so unreasonable about not accepting your criminal terms.” He took a swig of his wine, toying with me. Of course he feels like he’s got the upper hoof, he’s a political giant, about to recreate the world. I’m a model he’s seen my shows.

“Criminal?” I chuckle. “You can’t carve out a section of Canterlot dedication to non-unicorns. You are trying to segregate us like in Manehattan.” I smile wryly, taking a sip from my own cup. My cutie mark appeared when I was barely a filly. Most assumed the fleur de lis is a symbol for beauty, or fashion I let them, it’s not like I’m lacking in either. But my mark is a reminder of my first trip to Canterlot. I discovered a plot to infiltrate the Princess’s Guard. I stopped it.

“Not at all. Just trying to bring some…diversity to the city” Diversity my flank. This is political gain pure and simple. Yes, there are few if any earth or pegasus ponies in the capital city, but this isn’t anything other than tradition. It was once a unicorn safe-haven, a place to recover from the relentless prosecution that unicorns often suffered. When Celestia and Luna built there empire they placed the center in Canterlot to symbolize a new era. The magic based culture of the cities makes life for a non-magical being difficult.

“There is always the issue” I start, “Of magic”

“Magic?” It is now the lord’s turn to raise his brow.

“Magic” I parrot. “Canterlot is the capital city. It is protect by magic. If any part of the city falls, the whole city will fall. We can’t have a whole inner section without magic users can we?”

“Oh” he replies knowingly. “That’s the issue.” The earth pony rises and walks to the center of the floor. He closes his eyes and mutters under his breath. A wind picks up inside the room and his mane flips about his face. The coffee table lifts, without an aura, and moves out of the way, clearing an opening. “There are ways around that.”

I feel my smile widen as I too leave her spot to join the stallion in the newly formed empty space.

“Such magic is taboo” I say carefully

“Yes” he replies, “But not illegal”

“Then how about a little wager?” These political types never seem to be able to refuse a bet.

“I’m listening.”

“We have a duel here…Oh don’t give me that look,” I say upon seeing his face, “It’s not like I’m known for my fighting.” He nodded in agreement. It is well known that my magic isn’t very strong “I propose a magic duel. If I win, you will withdraw this ridiculous notion from court.”

“And when I win?”

“If you win… I will openly support you.”

“Tempting,” he says coyly, “Why do you care so much?”

“Let’s just say a certain… benefactor has an issue with your plan” We two smile at each other, and shake hooves. A silent agreement has been met and the Lord and the lady turn sharply and take ten paces in opposite directions, turn again, and draw.

The earth pony starts his chanting again; the wind picks up, his hooves start to lift from the ground. It’s all quite impressive.

The corners of my lip twitch, my horn starts to glow, and I cast one of my best spells. The lord immediately stops talking. The wind dies. He falls with an ungraceful thud. He opens his mouth to speak again, but his tongue is in a knot.

“The effects will wear off in an hour, sir” I say as I stalk towards the body thrown on the ground. “I call it ‘tongue-tied;’ you won’t be able to speak for a while, so tap your hoof three times if you want to concede.”

He taps.

“I’m sorry, can you repeat that? I just want to make sure.”

He taps again.

“Excellent” I’m watching him victorious, but there is a shadow, a flicker in the corner of my eye. I look up and see that I have an audience. A blond stallion grins ear to ear, and approaches her boldly. I pick up the lord with a simple levitation spell and place him on his feet; he trots away dejectedly as the new pony comes up.

“Howdy Milady” He tips his hat. The stallion is well built, a light blond coat and a dirty blond mane. He sports a leather vest, a Stetson and a giant red apple as a cutie mark. To some, he might be considered attractive.

“Are you lost, sir?” The stallion shakes his head vigorously, I frown. “Then why are you here?” His face sobers.

“I’m sorry for disturbing you, but I have a serious problem. My name is Braeburn; I’m from a settlement called Appleloosa. We’ve had a kidnapping, we need your help.”

I sit down at my table again and sip my wine. “I’m only a model” I say simply, batting my eyelids for good measure.

“And I’m an apple fritter,” he laughs. His face becomes strait again. “Please, Miss Lis, I have a cousin who you’ve helped, and I saw what just happened there” He gestures to the space that held the duel a few minutes earlier. “We need you. This is serious”

“Well kidnapping tends to be…”

“You don’t understand.” He shakes his head yet again, he’s oddly attached to that movement. “We just signed a treaty with the native buffalo tribe, sacrificing some land and apple pies for peace. Not to sound ungrateful, we enjoy doing it… Or most of us anyway.”

“Can I guess now? Some of the nay-sayers are using the disappearance of this pony to incite a new rebellion against the buffalo.”

“That is correct” Braeburn sighs.

“Why can’t you use your sheriff?”

“It’s his granddaughter,” he starts, “He’s likely to start a witch hunt.”

“Ah” I rub my chin, thinking. “I don’t normally do detective work, how much will you pay me?”

Braeburn blanches.

“Pay you? There is a girl’s life at stake!”

“How much?”

“30 bits”

“30?” I take another sip. “100.”

“100!”

“Yep”

Braeburn looks around panicking. I’m not a horrible pony, but houses like these do not come cheap. “Please miss, I don’t have that much money. The sheriff doesn’t have that much money, the father can’t afford it.”

“My time is valuable.” Fleur say haughtily. “And the mother can afford it”

“How did you know-“

I sigh and roll my eyes. “You got here somehow right? A poor family could afford a train, but in a kidnapping case, time is of the essence. No, they teleported you. Over that kind of distance, it would be awfully expensive. And you came to Canterlot, instead of a nearby law agency. Meaning the family has money to burn. If the father can’t afford it, the mother can. Her family’s bits probably helped build the town. And you are very, very close. What’s her name?”

“Silver Lining” The stallion stutters

I whistle, “a bit more money than I expected. 100.”

“50”

“100”

“75”

“100” I narrow my eyes, daring him.

“Fine” He surrenders, “100”

I flash him a brilliant toothy smile.

“When do we start?”

Author's Note:

This is a bit of a supernatural mystery that includes some Marvel characters, but you don't need to read comics or have seen the movies. There are no Avengers. I expected this to be longer but I thought it was a good ending to an introduction. This was originally in 3rd person past tense, but I reconsidered. Any reviews, even criticisms are helpful, and I hope you enjoyed this and continue to read it.