• Published 27th Feb 2014
  • 5,225 Views, 57 Comments

Blood Moon - Zanem-Ji



There is an unknown fact that Luna had been hiding about herself : She has been killing ponies in their sleep. What could the reasons be that drives the Princess of the Moon to do this? What will happen when her dark secret comes to light?

  • ...
19
 57
 5,225

Guided Until Gone

Luna slowly walked through the castle’s royal garden, basking in the moonlight she had created. She loved the way the cool, crisp air flowed through her feathers. She loved looking up at the sky, watching the stars dance through the intricate swirls of deep blues and black, making them glow even brighter.

She loved the night, and she loved that she was its ruler.

Let her sister rule the sun, this was so much better to her. The vastness of it all was far more beautiful to her than that bright ball of light her sister loved so much. She took in a slow inhale of air, catching the wafting scents of the blossoms that opened themselves only under the Moon’s reflected light. While this scenery was amazing in its own right, this was still her sister’s garden. She felt like she was an outsider here, only ruling as retribution for her stunt as Nightmare Moon. She knew that deep down, she would always remain in her sister’s shadow.

But….she was okay with this.

She accepted that fate with the grace that only nobility could immolate. After all, her sister had been ruling this kingdom on her own for a millenium, and she no longer felt the dark urges to snuff out those who only bowed to Celestia. Besides, she had done something even greater.

She had built her own castle. No…her own beautiful world of eternal night and tranquility.

Her trot turned into a gait.

She had come to realize something. Ponies were only beginning to appreciate her constructs because they were seen as objects of comfort. Comfort that could not be given from loving family and bonds made from strong friendships. No…her Moon was an object to weep too, when those who suffered did not wish to be seen. When tears needed to be released and objects needed to be thrown. When frustrated shouts needed to be released, and items needed to be destroyed. No one wants to be seen in such volatile and weakened states. So…when would they do this?

At night…when the majority of the world slept.

She wanted them to seek comfort in a different manner. Something that gave them a reason to smile. Something that made their hearts soar with joy and gave them everything they could ever wish for. So…she gave to them when their minds were in absolute zen, and could be allowed to imagine their greatest, deepest desires.

She gave it to them in their dreams.

This was something she was proud of. While she could not fully control the dreams herself, she could sprinkle inklings of influence in them when the opportunity present itself. All she had to do, was pull the wishes from the deepest crevices of the sleeper’s mind and bring them to the surface. And in her kingdom, she could make sure that all those who resided within it, could have such dreams for all of eternity.

But for such happiness, there was a great cost.

Eternity is of course, a long time. No mortal creature could of course, live forever. She was not even granted that opportunity, despite her vastly different lifespan.

The body could not last…but the soul can.

Of course…those who have such short lifespans, are apprehensive of the thought of it ending. They would try to hold on to these fleeting moments of struggling in the waking world, before they would ever fully embrace her kingdom. So…while she offered these wonderful dreams…she wouldn’t tell them that they’d never wake again.

But why would she? Why put her followers through such emotional and mental turmoil, by revealing that truth? No…let them be happy. She had already watched them suffer much before this, no reason to add to it. This…this secrecy, was for the greater good.

Her pace turned into a fierce gallop.

Let her subjects adore the night, and all it has to offer.

The moon started to take on a reddish hue.

Let her subjects adore HER, and all she has to offer.

She flapped her wings, beginning her slow ascent to the sky.

Let them play forever in their dreams.

A bright light began to envelope her,

Let them…be happy…

Her eyes started to glow white,

“Worry not, my children. I am coming…”


-MLP-


Twilight’s eyes snapped open and she shot upright in her bed. There it was again…that same…fucking disturbance. It was stronger than ever this time. She couldn’t take it anymore. She knew that every time she felt that magical shift in the air, she knew another life was being taken. She was a Princess gods dammit, why wasn’t she able to stop this rogue?! She tore the satin sheets away from her body and leapt from the bed.

No more.

She would not let another one of the citizens die. This had gone on for far too long. A glimpse of Shimmer’s face flashed through her mind. The utter despair on Fluttershy and Dash’s faces followed soon after. She couldn’t begin to comprehend what they felt. What they were still feeling…

How many more had been thrown into emotional turmoil at the loss of one of their loved ones being taken from them?

She made her way to her window. It was frustrating how she was the only one that could literally feel this hidden evil that was snaking its way through Equestria at night. Perhaps it was because she was the Princess of Magic. This only furthered her resolve;

She would be the one to find this ‘Guider’ and destroy her.

She pushed open the windows, and flew to where the disturbance had arisen.


-MLP-


It had come from Sweet Apple Acres.

More specifically, it had come from Apple Bloom’s room.

Twilight landed no the yellow pony’s windowsill. What she saw, shocked and angered her.

There was a cloaked pony looming over Applebloom’s sleeping form. The pony didn’t turn around. Either she didn’t hear Twilight, or didn’t feel threatened by her prescence.

The rage that bubbled within Twilight, would make sure this pony knew she was the fiercest threat she’d ever face.

“Hey!” Twilight snarled. The mare glanced over her shoulder, not giving the slightest indication that she was disturbed by the Alicorn’s presence. Her face was hidden by an unnatural darkness, her piercing white orbs glowing with imbued magic.

“Princess of Magic…I see you’ve come to witness something glorious occur.” She greeted in a calm voice.

“I don’t know what ‘glorious’ thing you’re talking about, but this will stop.” Twilight commanded as her horn glowed and crackled with magic, “Do not think I won’t kill you where you stand.”

Guider shook her head. “Please…I am not here to clash with you, Princess. I am simply here to bring eternal peace to her suffering soul…”

“She’s not suffering, now leave her alone!!”

“I cannot turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to someone in incurable turmoil.” Guider spoke in a firmer tone, splaying her wings. Even under the direct moonlight, her body sucked away the light and kept her under deep shadows. “My kingdom is a place of happiness, and I cannot allow you to keep this mare from enjoying it.”

“YOUR KINGDOM?!” Twilight retaliated. “You’re not a Princess, you’re a murderer!!”

“I am a bringer of peace!” Guider stomped a hoof. A frown appeared on Apple Bloom’s face. Guider turned and nuzzled her muzzle, the frown immediately replacing itself with a soft smile.

“Don’t you dare touch her!” Twilight roared. She leapt at Guider, who dodged her with graceful ease. Twilight stood in between the monster and the sleeping younger mare. She considered the Mane Six and their families like they were her own, and she’d be damned if she was going to lose another one of them. Guider hovered a few inches off the ground,

“Princess, I will not fight you.”

“BUT I WILL!”

Twilight fired a beam of hot magic at Guider. The mare flicked her head at the beam to avert its trajectory, causing her hood to shift in a way for the lavender Princess to make a terrifying discovery.

“Y…you’re an Alicorn…”

Guider ignored her, “Just because I said I wasn’t going to fight you, does not mean I am going to let you bring harm to me.” she flitted past Twilight to the windowsill. “I have no need to fight you anyway…my child has finally joined me.”

Dreadful realization etched itself onto Twilight’s face as she turned to Apple Bloom. She scrambled up to her as the Earth Pony exhaled her last breath.

The moon turned red.

“No…”

It glowed brighter. Twilight felt Guider’s presence leave the bedroom, but she never took her eyes off of Applebloom.

“Gods, no…”

She started to shake the motionless pony.

“NO NO NO NO NO!!!”

The bedroom door swung open.

“The hell is goin’ on? Twilight? What in tarnation are ya-” Applejack’s sleep addled voice went silent as she fully took in the sight.

A sobbing Twilight, gripping a limp and unmoving Apple Bloom.

“Tell me ya stopped her…”

“I-I couldn’t, I tried…”

“Tell me she ain’t dead…”

Twilight remained silent.

“TELL ME SHE AIN’T DEAD!!”

Twilight started to respond, but was shoved aside by the orange mare. Applejack took her younger sister into her forelegs. She buried her face into the strawberry colored mane and wept. Her body was still warm. She wasn’t dead. She was just sleeping…

She was just asleep.

Applejack’s eyes snapped open.

SHE WAS JUST ASLEEP.

“The Guider did this…” Applejack’s voice was low, struggling to keep a cry of rage from tearing itself from her throat. “She took mah sister from me…”

The farm mare released her grip on her sister and looked down at her. She had a peaceful smile on her face. And now…

She would be joining their parents in Applejack’s dreams.