• Published 20th Feb 2014
  • 1,028 Views, 13 Comments

The Starlancer - Monki



Feeling unwelcome after her banishment, Princess Luna needs a friend. A servant of hers steps in to fill that gap, but is he the right pony for that? A dark secret chaines his blood line's fate to the immortal Moon-Princess.

  • ...
3
 13
 1,028

Chapter 1: The beauty of the night

Warning: This fic does not follow the original timeline of the show, thus the “Alternate Universe” tag is used. Keep that in mind, please.

The Starlancer

by Monki

Chapter 1: Beauty of the night


It was only one moment. In only one moment her burning rage was replaced by confusion, only to be turned into fear and finally lonesomeness. That moment was the moment right before the might of the Elements of Harmony struck her and dragged her away to spend an eternity on the moon. Nopony could ever comprehend what it feels like spending one millennium in perfect isolation. Her life had changed in only one moment and she would have never been able to forget about that particular moment. One terrifying moment. And here she was, ready to get hit by the Element's power again. Luna wasn't sure what she had done wrong this time to enrage her sister. All she knew was that she didn't want to be all alone once again.

"You have failed me again, sister!" she heard her sister yelling, before the chromatic beam hit her.

***

Luna suddenly awoke from her sleep. A loud scream had aroused her, leaving her sitting on the bed, breathing heavily. She then realized that she must have been the one who had screamed. She’d had that nightmare again, the same nightmare she had had the past several months, ever since her return from her banishment. That dream about her sister banishing her to the moon.

Thick curtains covered the windows and all candles had burned down. The room was dark and quiet. Luna was sitting on her bed contemplated about the dream she’d just had, when suddenly the doors to her bedroom flew open and a member of the Royal Guard dashed into her room. In a normal circumstance Luna would have been freaked out by the sudden invasion, however, her night horror had already taken too much out of her. Amazed she watched that Guard burst into her bedchamber, his pole-weapon ready to intervene any hostile action.

"Your highness, are you alright?!" he called with an alarmed voice, while looking around for intruders. "I heard a scream, is something wrong?"

"No... No, it’s nothing, we are fine," Luna replied. "It was just..." Luna hesitated for a moment. "A bad dream - yes, a dream!"

"Are you sure your highness? Do you need something?" he asked with a concerned voice.

She could tell that it was still daytime because of the sunlight illuminating her room coming from outside of the door. It must have been somewhat around afternoon. Blinded by the sudden light, she couldn't directly see the face of the guard. Being still flustered, she didn't even care about that random Guard though.

"No thank you. We... We wish to rest now. Please leave us alone." she ordered.

"Very well your highness, rest well." he said, casting one last glance to make sure that there wasn't any danger threatening the Princess of the Night. He then turned to leave the room before gently closing the door behind him.

Luna slumped back into bed, reflecting on the recurring dream. It was the same dream as always but somehow it felt much worse than before. So intense and so unbelievable real. While her sister rose the sun and ruled during daytime, her duty as Princess of the Night was to raise the moon and darken the sky during night time. During the daytime, she was usually asleep or spent most of her time alone in her room. Although she had missed her sister dearly, she also avoided her presence as much as possible because she was afraid of being banished again. Her sister had welcomed her with opened arms, yet there was still that nagging fear in the back of her mind.

The next night she awoke from the dream again. She looked around and realized that she was in her bedroom, shaking and sweaty from her night terror. The dreams were getting worse every night and she didn't understand why. A quiet knock on the door interrupted her thoughts. A member of the Royal Guard silently opened the door.

"Are you Okay your highness?" the guard who had just entered her room, asked her.

"Yes, yes, of course," the Princess replied.

"Was it the bad dream again?" he asked sympathetically.

"Yes... Wait, how do you know? You are the same guard we talked to yesterday, aren't you?" Due to her nightmare and her confusing thoughts yesterday, she didn’t pay much attention to the random guard she had talked to the day before. But now she recognized his voice. The day before, his voice sounded more concerned than today. He spoke in a gentle but respectful tone and the way he addressed her sparked a feeling of safety in her.

"Yes, your highness, it is my duty to guard your room this week," he told her with a slight hint of pride in his voice. The Princess sighed, shaking her head to dismiss the remaining fog in her mind. After she had calmed down enough to carry on the conversation she asked:

"So, you are not guarding it all the time?"

"No your highness, there is a schedule that determines what everypony should do, so the ponies that are guarding your room changes every week," he replied.

"Tell us, guard, why are you guarding our room?" she asked him, fiddling with her blanket nervously.

"To prevent any danger, your highness," the young stallion quickly replied.

"But are you protecting me from danger, or are you protecting Equestria from me?"
The armored pony remained silent not knowing what to answer. The question had obviously flustered him.

"Well.. Err... I don't know..." he muttered, looking at the ground.

"Answer your Princess's question and please be honest!" she commanded in a stern tone.

"Both... I guess," he replied nervously, not knowing what else to say.

"Are you afraid of me?" the indigo alicorn asked saddened, looking down on her blanket.

"Um... Yes..." the armored guard answered hesitantly. The Princess looked away and tried to suppress her tears. She had known the answer before he even spoke. The kingdom still thought that she was a threat and the ponies were still afraid of her, afraid of the monster she once was. Of course, why would anypony forget the horrible things her other side had done a thousand years ago.

She tightly wrapped her blanket around her shivering body. Ever since he entered the room he had looked at the floor. It wasn't forbidden for royal servants to stare in the face of their lords without permission, as far as Luna knew. Yet he had dodged her gaze the whole time. What she didn't know was that he didn't know how to behave around royalty. He believed that it would be inappropriate to blatantly stare at his ruler... in her bedroom. Then, however, he gathered as much courage he could muster, lifted his head and for a moment he looked directly into the mare’s eyes.

"I was..." he continued after a short pause. "But not anymore."
The royal mare then turned towards him surprised.
"You see, I have been guarding your door for some time now and I sometimes see you in the palace. Ever since you returned, you always seem so tense, so sad, so lonely. I’ve never seen you doing anything wrong. I didn't witness the evil deeds I have heard about you from old pony tales. To be honest, I refuse to believe that you could harm anypony. Instead it pains me seeing somepony suffering like that.”

She looked at him, eyes wide opened. Today, the pegasi had scheduled a thunderstorm to water the crops and flowers of the earth ponies. The dark gray clouds blocked out the bright shine of the sun that had blinded her the day before, so she had no problem inspecting him for more detail. He was a unicorn with a coat of dark silver gray and wore the alloyed plate mail of a low rank royal guard. The armor was built of a dark metal with the royal crest of Equestria branded on the chest. On his head he wore a matching metal helm with a bright blue plume of feathers.

She wasn't that familiar with military ranks but she recognized the insignia of a corporal on his left pauldron. The most remarkable thing about him, however, were his golden eyes. His eyes looked rather unique and were mesmerizing her. She could tell that he just spoke the truth because his eyes left no doubt about that. He still stood there in the doorway holding a standard guard lance with his right hoof. Taking a step towards her, he said:

"Sometimes when you are asleep you cry as if you are in agony. Judging by the sound, I'd say today was by far the worst of it. I find myself wondering, what troubles you that much. I feel sympathetic but I doubt I would understand, even if I knew the reason," he continued while still gazing into her face.

The armored stallion spoke without thinking, but then he remembered to whom he was talking to and quickly lowered his head, looking back at the ground again.
"Err... I mean, I was worried about your safety your highness," he stammered, blushing, and took a few steps away from her.

He knew that he wasn't allowed to speak out his thoughts that directly, especially not to a Princess like Luna. Ashamed, he stepped further backwards to flee from the situation.
He then cleared his throat, saying:

"Well, if no danger threatens you, I will leave you to your rest your highness," he said and reached the door, quickly stepping outside and closing it silently. Still wrapped in her blanket, she lay on her bed. She was amazed that he had spoken his thoughts without hesitation and she was even more amazed about what he actually said. It was true, ever since she returned, she felt lonely and sad. She felt as if nopony cared that she had returned or not and she was asking herself what her destiny would be. The indigo mare felt like the young stallion just stared deep into her heart for that short moment their eyes had met.

"Somepony does care about me," she thought to herself not knowing how to feel. She couldn't tell how long she laid there, thinking about what he said to her. Lying there for what felt like ages, the sleep eventually caught up with her and she dropped into peaceful slumber. She didn't have the nightmare that day nor did she feel as lonely as she did the days before.

When she woke up that evening, she got back to work on her royal duty by raising the moon and protecting the night. Like usual, she met with her sister on a white balcony on the highest tower of Canterlot.

"Did something special happen today?" Celestia asked her younger sister shortly after landing. She smiled at Luna, obviously being in a good mood.

"No, why do you ask?" the Moon Princess replied, baffled.

"Well, you look much more relaxed than yesterday."

"I do?" Princess Luna asked, surprised.

"Well, yes, I think so. I am glad to see you happy again, little sister," Celestia gently replied before she slowly flew away towards her room.

As she raised the moon she welcomed it just like an old friend. She also sent a few clouds away that had remained from the storm earlier that day. The lazy pegasi didn't clear the entire sky like they should have, however, Luna’s mood was way too good to vex about bagatelle like that. She then covered the dark bluish sky with tiny sparkling gems and started to rearrange the star signs that seem to have gotten out of place during the millennium of her absence. She’d never felt so much joy since her return she noticed.

Standing on that balcony, she smiled at her beautiful night for quite some time, satisfied with her work. It would still take her several nights to neaten the sky though, she thought to herself.

"Oh my, the night looks exceptionally good today sister!" a voice sang behind her. Luna turned around startled, seeing her sister standing behind her looking up to the stars.

"You made quite an effort tonight," Celestia remarked.

"Tia? What are you doing here? What time is it?" Luna asked confused.

"Almost dawn, my dear," the older Princess said, smiling at Luna.

"Already?!" she gasped. Luna couldn't believe it since it felt like she’d just raised the moon. She wished her sister a good day and flew off to her private chambers.

As she entered her room nopony was in sight. While Luna was up at night and watching over Equestria the guards tended to other duties because “There is no reason to protect an empty room,” as her sister had once said. "Those guards must sleep now and then too." she thought to herself, trying to imagine a bunch of sleeping guards.

Shortly after, she heard the sound of hooves on the stone floor and metal clanking in front of her door. The royal guard just took his position in front of her bedroom, she realized.
"Guard, your Princess demands your presence." she called. A familiar stallion knocked and entered the room looking at the ground.

"You called, your highness?" he asked politely with his particular voice.

"Yes. I want to talk about what happened yesterday..." she began.

"I - I can explain - I didn't think about what I said - I give my most grievous apologies for insulting you, your highness. I deserve any punishment you deem necessary," he interrupted her and bowed down before her.

"Then I shall punish you now!" she bellowed in her Royal Equestrian Voice, while stepping forwards. He gulped.
"As your punishment, you shall tell us your name, guard!" she said in a faked angry expression.

"Your highness?" he asked, astonished.

"You do have a name do you not?" she asked him, still in her false angry Equestrian Voice.

"Yes, I do, but no noble pony ever asked for my name before..." he slowly replied. "My name is Diamond Sky."

"Well, Guard Diamond Sky, you said confusing things to me yesterday. Were you serious about what you said... and don't even dare lying," she continued as she slowly approached him. He gulped again.

"Yes, your highness," he answered, expecting the worst.

"You said you felt sorry for us, because you think we feel lonely, is this correct?" she stopped just in front of the crouching guard.

"Yes, your highness, this is the truth," he replied, honestly.

"Then you may call me Luna from now on," she said, softly abandoning the angry expression in her voice.

He remained motionless for several moments still looking at the ground.
"Your highness?" he asked in disbelief.

"Rise loyal Diamond Sky. It is true, I've been sad and lonely ever since I returned. But yesterday I wasn't anymore..."

"You were not?" The gray stallion didn’t understand.

"No, you were the first pony that cared for what I feel. You were the first one that wasn't afraid of me, except my sister, of course." Diamond Sky remained silent, not knowing what to reply.
"Please get up. You are allowed to look me in the eyes and you may speak freely, without punishment," she told him with a bashful smile on her face. He didn't move.

"Do you not take me serious?" she asked him raising her voice again.
He rose his head and looked into her eyes. It was the first time he was that close to her. Stunned, he got lost in her beautiful turquoise eyes.
"So tell us... Err, tell me, what do the citizens think about me?" the royal Alicorn asked.

"Equestria was overjoyed at the return of the Princess of the Moon," he quickly replied as if rehearsed.

"I said be honest!" Luna rebuked him, with a grave expression on her face.

"Well, this was the case, however some citizens don't know how to handle you. You were gone for thousand years. They are afraid of Nightmare Moon, because of all of those old pony tales and malicious gossip they've heard. But almost nopony knew who you were back then and almost nopony knows who you are today. In other words you are a complete stranger to them. Ponies fear the unknown."

"Nightmare Moon was - I mean, I was a monster - " she said ashamed, avoiding his eye.

"Just like I said, almost nopony knows how you were centuries ago and only a few ponies witnessed your return as Nightmare Moon. Every other pony in Equestria is glad to have their beloved Moon Princess back."

"Is it really that easy? How can time just undo the terrible things I have done?" Luna sighed.
"To be honest, Nightmare Moon was only a disguise. When the Elements of Harmony hit me in those ancient ruins, they destroyed that disguise, but they didn't change the way I feel." He lifting a brow, knowing that something important might come up. After a pause she continued:

"I still feel jealous about my sister. Everypony loves her. Everypony loves her sun. Nopony ever cared for my night sky. Although I've always put quite the effort into my night, nopony ever said, ‘Oh look at the soft shades of moonlight over there’ or ‘Look at that beautiful constellation’. Why can’t anypony see the things, like I do?
Why can’t anypony love me like they love my sister?!"

She turned around. Diamond Sky shouldn't see the tears of anger and frustration she cried. However he could tell, just by judging her desolated tone. He wanted to touch her shoulder or even hug her, just console her somehow... but he hesitated since he didn't want to push his luck too far. She was a Princess after all - and he was just some random low rank guard.

"But would you do it again? I mean, the actions Nightmare Moon had done, would you ever do that again?" he asked her empathetically.

"By the moon, of course not!" she yelled resolutely.

"See, there is the difference. Nightmare Moon did what she did, but you refuse to do it, so in that sense, you are in no way similar to Nightmare Moon." He gently smiled at her.

She gave him a short glance over her shoulder and faced away again, while she continued to speak.
"I really disliked the ponies back then, you know? I wanted to show them the beauty of the night, by letting it last forever. I thought that someday, somehow they would accept and even love it just like I do," she explained.

"Maybe you can show the ponies how you feel about it in a different way. Not everypony hates the night you know? Ponies sometimes take a walk with their special somepony in the starlight. Once a year there is a special event called 'Nightmare Night'. Ponies cherish the night, wear costumes and fillies beg for sweets. There are things that aren't possible without darkness. For example you couldn't see a shooting star without darkness... and remember, how could anypony cherish something if they don't know the opposite? Imagine if there is only nighttime, how could anypony cherish it if they take it for granted? Personally I’ve always liked the night. It’s calm and quietness is a welcome change to the daily stress and tension, at least im my opinion."

He finally took one step towards her and lay his hoof on her shoulder. Although being flustered she turned around and slightly smiled at him.

"Thank you for your kind words..." She took a deep breath and changed the subject. "So what is it like to be a royal guard? I mean, if there is no Princess to comfort? Why did you become a guard in the first place?" she asked with a shy smile.

"Well, all the colts in my family served the Royal Army for ages. Some of my ancestors were high-class commanders, but most were simple soldiers or guards like me. It felt like it was my duty to join the Royal Force, as well."

"So what do you do all day long?" she asked him curiously.

"Most of the time it's just boring. Standing there at my post or patrolling all over Canterlot. There’s rarely any excitement going on. Well, maybe I should be grateful for that." he chuckled.
"However, the training is fun. We meet every morning at the Canterlot Plaza for training. I only wish I was as good as my comrades, however my friends keep telling me that my skill will improve with experience. Some joke that I just need the right incentive..." he sighed heavily, "Even so, it is still fun."

"What do you do during training?" Luna wanted to know.

"Well, that changes constantly. We frequently do physical exercises to stay fit. There are also field days were we go through different scenarios to be prepared for any emergency. There is of course basic combat training, being armed and unarmed… oh and archery too. You can even do additional special training if you choose to specialize in a certain type of weapon. If you do your chances of being promoted increases."

"Do yo do that kind of training?" she asked.

"Yes, in fact I do," he replied honestly.

"What are you specializing in?"

"Well, as you might know every Palace Guard needs to wield a pole-arm. When you apply as a Palace Guard you are asked what kind of weapon you want to use. Some prefer pole-axes, halberd and so on... Well I like the lance best."

"The lance? Why?" Luna asked, baffled. She never showed any interest to such topics before, but somehow she liked it when he explained it to her. Or maybe she didn't want him to leave just yet. He took his lance in both hooves and showed it to her. She craned her neck to have a closer look at it. To her it was just a pike on a long stick.

"A lance is a versatile weapon, if you got the right expertise. In my opinion it is a very elegant weapon which is light, fast and agile, but very deadly if the user knows how to wield it."

Luna lifted a brow and inspected the weapon once more with his explanation in mind.
"Isn't it tiring when you have to carry your lance around all the time?" she wondered.

"Well, yes it sure is. You must always hold it with either hoof or put it down. I guess it is intended so you always be ready in case of an attack, yet it is kinda unpractical if you need both hooves."

"Did you kill with it before?" she suddenly wanted to know, instantly regretting her question.

"N- No, I didn't kill anypony yet and I hope that I will never have to... Did you?"

She pursed her lips and remained silent for a moment.
"Unfortunately yes. I did when I was Nightmare Moon. I am not very proud of my actions."

Why she was that plain with him, Luna wondered. Not even her sister knew her deepest thoughts and secrets. But with him it felt like she could be the pony she was without holding back. She had showed him her ugly side yet he was still there, seemingly unafraid. He didn't judge her nor despise her even though she’d just told him the blunt truth. All she knew was that it felt good to talk about it with somepony. And awkward silence followed before he could change the subject.

"One day, I was patrolling in the royal library when one of your sister’s pupils came in acting like a spy! It was Dusk Shimmer... No, wait, was it Dawn Glitter?" he looked up to the ceiling, trying to remember the mare's name. "No, no, wait, Twilight Sparkle is her name... Yes, that’s it."

Luna's facial expression changed for a moment but he couldn't tell the emotion behind it.
"She wore a black suit," he continued, "and had that really crazy hairdo. My comrades and I still laugh about it when we see her. But please don't tell her or your sister."

"Of course, I won’t," Luna promised. Both of them began to laugh. He then looked out of the window and realized that it was almost afternoon.

"Oh look at the time. You should get some rest now your high... I mean Princess Luna."

"Oh, yeah, I guess I have to." Luna sighed after looking at the clock. She rather wanted to continue talking to him but she knew that she had to get some sleep eventually.
"Will I see you tomorrow then?" she asked shyly.

"If that's your wish it shall be my command," he replied, while bowing down.

Blood rushed into her cheeks but he didn't seem to notice, though.

"Rest well, Princess Luna."

"You too, Guard Diamond Sky." He hesitated for a moment before slipping out the door and closing it silently. Luna lay on her bed smiling. She never felt so happy for ages. Within only a few hours most of her doubts vanished and she didn't feel lonely anymore either. Finally, she’d gotten a friend. Still grinning, she fell asleep and got up later that day to do her duty.

*****

The next day, he was already waiting in front of her door as she entered the building. They conversed about many different things and Luna enjoyed every second of it.
"What is your goal in life?" she asked him.

"Well, I've always dreamed to be somepony memorable. A hero ponies will remember even if I am long gone. I want to do something important so somepony will create an effigy of me. I know that sounds really childish..." he trailed off embarrassed, dodging her gaze.

"No it really doesn't," Luna assured him smiling. He looked up at her again and continued:
"When I was a little colt, I wanted to become a knight so I could rescue a princess from a dragon... or something. Well, that is one reason why I became a Guard, I guess," he explained sheepishly. "Maybe someday I'll become the captain of the Royal Guard, just like commander Shining Armor. He truly is the best fighter I know and a very good strategist as well. He knows all the tricks and he is the most caring commander I've met so far. If I could be half as good as he is, it would be a dream."

"Is he really that great?" She only knew him by name and only saw him from afar a few times. She didn't know much about military operations, anyhow.

"And what about you, my Princess? What is your goal in life?" he asked her curiously, looking at her face.

"Well that's the thing... I am not Nightmare Moon anymore, but I am not a filly either. So what should I do? I was gone for a thousand years. During my absence, my sister took over my duty of rising the moon and bringing night without fail. Taking over this job seems like a token gesture. If I vanish for another thousand years would anypony mind? Would anypony miss me? Celestia would raise the moon without flaws, like she did before."

"Well, at least I would miss you," he told her, delivering a soft smile. She looked into his golden eyes and chuckled. Somehow he always found the right words to cheer her up again.
"Did you ever try to raise the sun by yourself?" he asked.

"No, I didn't even try that once. Why do you ask?"

"I am only guessing here and I can hardly imagine what it's like to raise the sun or moon, but I guess it wouldn't be that easy for anypony who isn't used to it, would it?"

"Well I don't know..." Luna’s voice trailed off.

"Then, if I am correct, it must have been hard for your sister as well," the guard assumed.

"Hmm, it isn't that hard..." she slowly explained.

"Not for you, because you are used to it. You have done it for ages. You are the Princess of the Moon, are you not? I can imagine that it must be very stressful for somepony who isn't used to it, even if she's as powerful as your sister."

"I don't know, maybe you are right...." Diamond Sky couldn’t overhear the doubt in her voice.

"I don't think that she can stay up the entire day and night.. at least not for very long. Although being an Alicorn, she is only a pony, too. So either she went through a lot of trouble or she left the night unprotected. There hasn't been a single night court in like forever, as far as I can remember. I think both options weren't that great, but now you are back to lift half of the burden off her shoulders. And if that is the case, she certainly is very grateful that you’ve returned," he assumed.

"Maybe you should ask her how she felt back then," he suggested. Luna wasn't that sure about that though. She was still afraid of her own sister. She sighed. Of all those ponies, she as her own sister knew Celestia the least. She decided to speak with her as soon as they meet, so she could get to know her... again.

They kept talking about different things, until Diamond Sky left her room so she could take her afternoon nap. Later that night, she did her duties as usual and continued to clean up the mess her absence had created. When Celestia approached, Luna said to her:

"Big sister, can I try to raise the sun today?"

"Well of course, but I’ll warn you, it isn’t as easy as it sounds," her sister replied, lifting a brow.

"Please, let me try!" Luna begged.

"Well, okay then, go ahead," the older mare just said. Luna concentrated. She tried to do it like she would raise the moon, but nothing happened.

"You must focus more on the sun, my dear," Celestia told her encouragingly.
Luna tried her best and focused even harder. The sun felt extremely heavy and sluggish to her. Although she had managed to move it a bit above the horizon, she couldn't move it any further. She intensified her effort trying to get a good grasp of the sun with her magic. Sweat was on her forehead while she concentrated as hard as she could, but the sun just didn't budge. So Luna simply let go.

"I - I can't do it!" she finally cried.

"Yes, it isn't that easy," Celestia lamented, nuzzling Luna.

"But while I was gone, you raised the moon... how did you do it?" Luna asked, looking toward her with questioning eyes.

"Well at first I couldn't. It took me several days to figure out how to do it. During that time the sun shone over Equestria for whole days straight. In the end, however, I managed to do it."

"Is raising the moon hard for you?" the indigo mare wanted to know.

"Well I got used to it eventually, but still it is very stressful and exhausting. The moon feels that much different from my sun and also has quite a bit of stubbornness. I also tried to keep your stars in place, but as you might have noticed, I couldn't do it as good as you can. I guess I just don’t have the right knack of it, even after all those years."

"You mean you are glad that I returned?" Luna asked, teary-eyed.

"Yes, yes of course. But not only because you move the moon with ease, but because you are my little sister and I love you. I missed you through all of these years, and I’m very glad to have you back, my dear," the Sun-Princess gently said.

"I felt very lonely as if a piece of me was missing. I really hated myself for banishing you. I asked myself many times if it was the right thing to do, but your other self left me no choice. Even after all those years I never found a less extreme solution," she said gloomy. She then looked her little sister in the eyes and hugged her.

"I am so sorry, Luna. I am so glad to finally have you back. If you are unhappy about anything, please speak with me. I promise to give you the attention you need and deserve. I am so happy to have you back."

Celestia's embrace became tighter as tears streamed down her cheeks with her sister hugging her back. Luna felt as if her heart got released from rusty shackles. Ever since her return, she feared that Celestia might send her back to the moon again. Hearing this, however, she was utterly convinced that this was unlikely to happen. Nightmare Moon was gone and with her went all the reasons for a second banishment. In addition Celestia couldn't move the moon with ease like she had always thought.

"I am very happy to be back myself, big sister. Do you think I can raise the sun someday by on my own?"

"Well, yes, I think you can, with enough practice... but remember, the sun is much bigger than the moon, so it won't be as easy as you might think."

This was such a relief. Diamond Sky has been right all along. She decided to tell him the next time they meet.

***

Author's Note:

Actually I wrote this fic about two years ago, long before I even knew about this site. I just felt the urge to do so and I had a lot of fun writing it. Seeing the quality of most fics here and the overwhelming amount of Luna X OC Fics I got discouraged and didn't upload it. A couple of days ago I rediscovered the file on my HDD and decided to work on it again. In my opinion it would have been a shame if my work got lost in the Nirvana of my hard rive.

I got inspired by the Comic "Goodnight Luna" by DigitalDasherBot ( Http://digitaldasherbot.deviantart.com/art/Goodnight-Luna-297318303)

I also took inspiration and parts from the lyric from "The Moon rises" by Ponyphonic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPjVCIX5Fvs

As stated above, this was the very first fic I've written. Of course I fleshed out details and improved some passages with the knowledge I have gathered over the past months, but it still might be flawed.

Special thanks to ArtWarrior1985: (http://artwarrior1985.deviantart.com/) for proofreading and correcting this fic.