• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 460 Views, 6 Comments

The Unicorn Trap Exchange: - Ponyess



I have all I need, the boots and the enchanted ring. This is what can grant me the magic, the power of a Unicorn. A simple trick, if I can convince a Unicorn to put the ring on, that is.

  • ...
3
 6
 460

A Test: 2

My old friend Lunar Grazer had agreed to try it out, after I had explained my idea. I could only tell her what I knew of what was to happen, which I had explained in no uncertain terms. She still had emphatically expressed she would like to help me with the experiment.

Then I had convinced her to write a contract, signed by both of us, both for safety, and for the sake of documentation, in case something did not go according to plan, as it were, in cases like these, one never knew what was to happen, before it had been fully tried out and tested.

Once the contract had been written in clear, crisp detail, I had signed it with her. It stipulated that she had voluntarily agreed to take part in a specific experiment, along the lines of transferring the magic powers, with the means of a specific enchanted silver ring. The ring had been described, and a general drawing is on the page, under the lines for the signatures. I had even collected three witnesses for the accuracy, one for each, and a neutral witness.

“Would you try the ring on your horn Grazer, just for the record?” I had instructed her, wearing none of the boots linked to the experiments.

“Okey!” Lunar Grazer had stated before the witnesses, before she lifted the ring up, placing it on her horn, then allowing it to slide down as far as it would go.

“Note that nothing happened, using the ring alone!” I pronounced.

The ring had merely gone as far as it could, stopping a mere inch from her forehead. If this was part of the failure, or just a sign of it, I could not say. Not at this point. Maybe it is irrelevant, or it means the world.

“For the record, it is noted that the ring alone had no effect on the target Unicorn that could be detected!” the Neutral, third witness stated.

“Could you please try to perform your magic as you used to?” the witness continued.

“Knowing the horn is said to be the focus of my magic, this should be no problem!” Grazer agreed, before she makes the first test, lifting a small object from the table.

The small coin was seen by all in the room, slowly lifting from the table, making pirouettes and other increasingly complicated moves, before she put it back where it had been resting.

“This far, it is according to plan. Would you please take the ring off, and gently place it on the top of the table, beside the coin?” I continued.

“Okay!” she then responded, just before she lifted the ring off of her horn with the same ease as she had used, as she managed the coin, a moment before.

“Now it is time for you to try the boots on, to see how this will affect the result!” the third witness, nominally the leader spoke.

Slowly I picked up the first of the red boots, slipping it onto my right hind hoof, looking as it made for a fairly good fit. Then I picked up the next, slipping it onto my left hoof. Now I stopped for a moment, before I continued with the third boot, slipping it onto my right forehoof. Finally picking the fourth and final boot, slipping it onto my left forehoof.

This is when the first change came about, making the boots look as if they had fused to my hooves, as they tightened up considerably. I had experienced it, as I tried them on, all by myself. My friends had experienced the same effect, guessing as it was a part of the enchantment used in the original process.

“Is this how it is supposed to work?” the witness enquired with a curiosity-laced voice.

“Yes, it is how the boots have always been!” I informed the witnesses.

“Please continue, pick up the ring, place it on your horn!” the witness proceeded.

“Yes” she spoke with quivering voice, as this was the first time something was actually supposed to happen, and thus uncertainty and anxiety gripped her momentarily as she lifted up the small silver ring, before she placed it onto her horn.

Only this time, the ring slide all the way down, without any hesitation, stopping flatly against her forehead without any noise.

“How does it feel?” I asked.

“Aside from the fact that the ring slipped all the way, it feels normal. I can't feel any difference yet!” she spoke.

“Could you move the coin?” the witness spoke.

“Yes, I think so!” she pronounced as she slowly lifted the coin, making it move.

For a moment, she managed the coin, and seemingly nothing had changed. Now her hooves turned a glistering red, matching my boots, a pair of new boots developing over hers, looking as tight as mine are, and the change moved up her legs. At the point, halfway up, her horn started to shrink, the ring had apparently fused to it. As the rubber had moved all the way up her legs, her horn were no longer to be seen. At this point, she had lost her magic entirely, and the coin had fallen to the top of the table.

While her horn vanished, I had grown one of my own, as if to replace the horn she had just lost.

“Could you pick up the coin?” the witness asked, indicating I was to take over, where she had just dropped the coin.

“Yes!” I said, slowly picking it up from the table, moving it around, just not quite as well as she had.

I'm after all new to this. I had expected it.