• Published 23rd Mar 2012
  • 5,373 Views, 41 Comments

True origins - Digitalis



After the end of 'Dragon Quest', Spike is called by Celestia, who is going to reveal his true orig

  • ...
2
 41
 5,373

Chapter 3

“A… a prince?” Spike’s mouth uttered the words, yet his mind couldn’t process they had said. Celestia was as wordless as him. The dragon guards kneeled down towards Spike.

“Ahh, my son, finally, after all this time, a great weight has finally been lifted of my heart.” Kiguroth’s smile was wide, revealing all the sharp teeth he had. Celestia and Spike involuntarily took a step back.

“I can’t be a prince! I’m just a baby dragon, there must be a mistake.”

“There is no mistake, my son. You carry the Royal Symbol, the Emerald Fire, a sign of your royal ancestry.”

Kiguroth then breathed fire again, showing the same emerald flames Spike had shown. He still couldn’t believe it. Celestia spoke up, taking a step forward; Kiguroth faced her, his smile being replaced by a serious expression.

“Dragon King, what are you saying is a really serious matter. Are you sure that Spike is your son?”

“Rrgh, stop calling him like that! I will not accept the name you ponies gave him. He must know his real name, the one I gave him myself the day he was born as an egg… Ka-Hurr”

Ka-Hurr… Spike muttered the name under his breath. It felt strange, alien, and yet… somewhat familiar, like remembering a nickname you were given as a kid. He decided to speak again.

“But, but… then why did you abandon me? I thought that you loved me, since you were my father and that”

Kiguroth covered his eyes with his right claw and sighed, he seemed hurt. It seemed that he didn’t want to talk about it. One of the guards unfurled his wings menacingly at Spike.

“How dare you speak like that to the King?! Even if you’re the Prince, that doesn’t give you the right to…”

“No, let it be, Kentamureth. He needs to know exactly what happened.”

“Everything started almost a hundred years ago. Draconia was at war with its neighbors, the storm giants…”

“Woah, woah, woah, slow down please.” Spike interrupted. “Storm giants?”

Kiguroth leaned down and patiently answered. “It seems that you hadn’t heard about them. The storm giants are gigantic humanoid creatures that dwell in the Storm Peaks, in the Northern Wastelands, far away from here. We dragons have been in war with then for millennia. Just some years ago we could be able to finally come to a fragile peace.”

“As I was saying, we were at war with them, Draconia was invaded and most dragons were locked inside the Citadels, which were under constant siege. They were finally able to enter into the Capital Citadel. Me, along with my Honor Guard were in the front line, I refused to stay behind. I was a fool, I wanted to take part in the fight, I didn’t mind for anything else. In the end, we could drive them back out of the Castle and made them retreat out of our frontiers. However, when I came back, I received the news that my son, you, had been kidnapped.”

“I chased the fleeing giants; I destroyed entire groups of them. But I couldn’t find you. Finally, I gave up.”

Kiguroth sighed; his voice was starting to tremble.

“The Queen, your mother, couldn’t take it. She loved you with all her heart. Losing you… it was too much for her. I’m sorry Ka-Hurr, if I had stayed where I had to be, instead of where I wanted to be, maybe you could have been saved.”

Spike approached the King, and hugged his muzzle.

“It’s okay… dad. It’s okay.”

Kiguroth sighed and blinked away a tear that had formed in his eye.

“A hundred years, son. A hundred years I mourned the loss of you and your mother. A hundred years I searched almost every bit of land in this world for you. A hundred years I hoped there would be the day where I could finally find you. And now, that day has finally arrived, and I thank the Great Dragon for giving me the opportunity to mend my mistake.”

Silence fell. Celestia took this as the chance to speak again.

“Well, going back to the matter at hand. Dragon King, what are your plans now that your suspicions have been confirmed?”

The King grinned. “You don’t have to ask, Celestia, I’m taking him back. He will be reintroduced to his original life, and will be taught the manners of royalty.”

“But… does that mean that I’ll have to leave my friends behind? I don’t think I can do that.”

“Son, look at me.” Kiguroth’s tone wasn’t demanding, he was just asking Spike to listen. “I’m giving you the chance to know who you really are, how your life could have been. I can show you what it really means to be a dragon.”

Spike looked at the ground, deep in thought. Despite what he had said to his friends the night before, that they were his family, he really wanted to know where he was from, who he was. And now it was this chance, he couldn’t let it pass. He would make them understand, this was important to him.

“Yes” he answered, “I’ll go.”

“What?”

The voice came from the entrance. Spike and Celestia looked back, and were speechless when they saw that the voice came from no other than Twilight, she had been eavesdropping the whole time, and had heard everything.

“No…” She took a step back.

“Twilight, wait.”

“No…” Another step back.

“Twilight, please listen.”

“NO!”

She shouted and teleported away, with a bright flash, she was gone.


Author's notes: I'm sorry for the delay, I try to take the chapters out as soon as possible, and is really hard to me to stick to the schedule of a chapter every week, I have been busy all week and besides I have been thinking in another idea for a fanfic (I haven't sterted writing it yet, I prefer to focus in this one for now). Next chapters will probably take more time, but I assure you, I'll work as hard as I can.

Well, here's my first attempt of a cliffhanger. I know my writing isn't as good as other authors here, my first language isn't English, and while I have been studying English all my life, it's still hard to me. So, if you want, leave a comment, I appreciate constructive criticism.