• Published 23rd Mar 2012
  • 5,344 Views, 41 Comments

True origins - Digitalis



After the end of 'Dragon Quest', Spike is called by Celestia, who is going to reveal his true orig

  • ...
2
 41
 5,344

Chapter 2

Spike entered the main hall. Princess Celestia was already waiting there. Her mane was disheveled, and her pose was tense, like she had been under a lot of stress lately. Still, she was wearing a kind, yet tired, smile.

“Spike, I’m glad you could make it! Why didn’t you come earlier?”

“Yeah… hehe” Spike gave her a sheepish smile “About that, let’s say that it ‘lost in the way’”

Celestia raised an eyebrow.

“Lost in the way” she shook her head, and her face went serious. “No, that doesn’t matter now. Come with me” She started walking down the left hallway, Spike quickly followed suit, Peewee nestled on his head.

“Looks like you have a new friend, a phoenix it seems.”


“Yeah, I called him Peewee, isn’t he cute?”

“It sure is. But let’s not distract of the matter at hand.”

Her face went serious again.

“When I sent you that letter, I wanted to explain you how your egg had ended up in my possession. Things, however, got more serious when I received these ‘special’ guests. But let me explain from the beginning.”
Spike realized that they were taking the long way to the Throne Room. Maybe Celestia wanted to explain everything, and, maybe, prepare him for what could come later.

“You see, it started many years before Twilight was even born. I was called for an important meeting near the north frontier, when my escort found what it seemed to be the rests of a battle. We couldn’t identify any of the creatures that lay dead in the plain, but it seemed an attack of some type. All of their possessions were broken or missing save for one thing: an egg that, miraculously, was untouched between the carnage that was placed in.”

“I realized that it was still alive, and unwilling to let it die, I decided to take it with me and raise the creature that would come out of it. After asking some experts, I knew that it was a dragon egg. Still, my decision was the same.”
Spike, having paid attention all the time, raised his head a bit and looked at the princess.

“So, that egg was me, right?”

Celestia nodded.

“Yes, it was you. I thought that waiting for it to hatch would be the best choice, and so I waited. However, it never hatched, so I gave it to my School for Gifted Unicorns. You know the rest: Twilight had to hatch it as her entrance exam, and as you know, she was able to do it. Still, the origin of the egg was a total mystery to me. That is, until today.”

Just then Spike realized that they were standing at the throne room doors. Celestia entered, Spike followed suit, and froze in the place, mouth hanging open.

In the room there were five immense dragons, their heads almost touching the ceiling. The first four looked the same, grey scales and silver spines, covered in full armor, making them a really scary look. The fifth was different; black scales, green spines and red eyes, he was also the tallest of the five.
“Spike, this is King Kiguroth, Dragon King of Draconia.”


Twilight paced back and forth, deep in thoughts. Again, she raised her head and asked the guards.

“Are you sure I can’t go with him?”

“Orders of the Princess, ma’am.”

“Can I at least know what is happening?”

The guard on the left seemed uneasy to answer, but finally gave in.

“Well, you see, yesterday afternoon we spotted five dragons near the northwest part of Canterlot. They didn’t seem to be doing anything dangerous so the captain sent a squad to talk with them. I don’t know what really happened but I heard that this big black dragon stepped forward and demanded to speak with the princesses. I think they are in there, so it makes sense if she asked for the little guy, although I have no idea why she called him.”

Twilight began to worry, had they been followed? Had those dragon bullies found where she lived? But she sure didn’t remember a black dragon. She had to investigate.

Since the guards weren’t there to preventing her to going anywhere, she could look in the windows. She rounded the castle grounds, and found a spot in the inside that wasn’t guarded. Twilight quickly teleported inside and made her way until she found the throne room. The door was half open, so Twilight could take a look at the inside of the chamber.

She gasped at the scene: Spike and Celestia were in the middle of the room, dwarfed by the sight of four grey dragons and a huge black dragon. But, whoever these guys were, they definitely weren’t the ones she had faced. In fact, she had never seen them at all. Where were they from? What did they want with Spike?

Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard the black dragon speaking.


Spike stood there, gaping at the sight. Even if his mind tried to do something, his body could simply not react. Kiguroth gazed at him, and he tried not to cower from the power of the King’s glare.

“So, this is the whelp, Celestia? About time, I was starting to lose my patience”

“I’m really sorry for the delay, Dragon King, but I have brought him as you requested.” Celestia answered, she maintained her regal pose, still she kept her guard up.

He turned again to Spike, who was still trembling in his feet. Peewee had taken shelter in the princess’s mane.

“Step forward, young one.” Spike did as he commanded.

“W-What do you want from me?” he could manage to timidly speak.

“I have been told about you, and I have been informed of certain… ability of yours.” Kiguroth looked into Spike’s eyes, and his expression seemed to ease a bit, but he quickly shook his head, dismissing his thoughts, and regained his serious expression.


“Show me your fire, whelp. Let me see it”
Spike tried to calm down, but his trembling didn’t disappear. The pressure was too much. Just a day after the fight with those bullies, this dragon showed up and commanded him to show him how he breathed fire. Was this some kind of test? Did this ‘king’ want to see if he was a ferocious dragon? What if he failed? What if his flame was not big enough? What if Kiguroth told him that he wasn’t worthy of being called a dragon? Would others dragons come to Equestria just to make fun of him?

All this thoughts raced through his mind, but he was finally able to calm down, taking a few deep breaths.

“So? I am waiting, and my patience is growing thin. I have waited for you to show up all the past night, so it would be a good idea not to keep me waiting.”

The four dragon guards had remained firm the whole time, still, they would obey every command his King would give to them. It was already a bad idea to upset a dragon, let alone five.

Spike gulped, and took a big amount of air. ‘Okay, this is it’, he thought, ‘time to show them that I’m a real dragon!’
He exhaled strongly, letting out a tiny flame of bright, emerald fire.

All the dragons gasped in shock. Even if its size wasn’t too big, the flame’s color revealed them the truth. The guards lost their composure, and started whispering in draconic.

“It’s Him!”

“After all this time…”

“It can’t be! It’s impossible!”

“You saw it too! It’s undeniable! It was the Royal Symbol!”

Kiguroth remained silent, his face an expression of shock. He stared at Spike for what it seemed like hours. Suddenly, he broke in laughter, deep guffaws that made the entire room to tremble.
“What was it? What did I do?” Spike glanced at Celestia, as oblivious as him.
Kiguroth looked at him again, smiling widely. “I can’t believe it! After all this time, after all that worthless searching, I have finally found him!”
He let out a big flame, a bright emerald, the same as Spike.
“Today, I have found my son, the Prince!”