• Published 23rd Mar 2012
  • 5,344 Views, 41 Comments

True origins - Digitalis



After the end of 'Dragon Quest', Spike is called by Celestia, who is going to reveal his true orig

  • ...
2
 41
 5,344

Chapter 7

Alduin.

The room seemed to darken even more with the mention of the name. Spike couldn’t repress the shiver that went down his spine.

“Alduin was the first creation of Akatosh.” Sarr went on without noticing Spike’s reaction. “Indeed, he was the Firstborn among the First Born. More powerful than any other dragon, with a strength and a cleverness that could not be outmatched. He was the perfect leader for the armies of the Two, and so he was the first to wield the gift of the Thu’um.”

“Thu’um? What’s that?” Spike asked.

Sarr nodded. “The Thu’um is a kind of magic that comes from our voice. It is believed that in the ancient ages our language and voice held a hidden power that could unleash devastating magical attacks on the foe. However, the knowledge of the Thu’um was lost, destroyed, or guarded by its masters. That magic is unattainable even for the mages of the Ice Heart by now. Only the Greyscales, an order dedicated only to the control and mastery of the Thu’um, know its secrets.”

“Oh, okay. Please go on.”

“As you wish, my prince.” Sarr answered condescendingly. “Once the guardians were assembled, life could finally start to spread in the world. Many creatures were born, and everything lived in harmony for eons.”

“But of course, nothing lasts forever, and something as perfect as our world could not go unnoticed by foreign eyes. The evil creatures that roamed in the Void, monsters made of darkness itself, saw the perfection of this world, and wished to corrupt it, to consume this light in the darkness. And so, the cruel Lord of the Void, a creature despised even by its own kin, but also feared for its power, sent its vile armies against the world.”

“The Two and their armies fought the invaders, and drew them back to the shadows of the Void where they belonged. But then, the unthinkable happened.”

Sarr gazed at another carving in the wall: A black shapeless creature over a golden dragon.

“During the last battle against the Lord of the Void, Akatosh was mortally wounded.” Sarr continued with sadness in his voice. “The Lord was then banished to the Void by Chronus, but the damage was done. With his body getting colder, the light and life of the world started to die. With his last breath, Akatosh launched himself in the sky, and exhaled his own soul, which free from his dying body, burned again, and light returned to the world. His body, instead, curled and froze, but some power remained in it, becoming a guardian when his soul did not burn in the sky, scaring the creatures and demons that remained in the world."

“Chronus took control of the celestial bodies, and moved them where they were most needed. And so, the eternal cycle of night and day was created.” Spike pondered about what Sarr had said, and when he took a look at another carving, Chronus between a Sun and a Moon, everything fell into place: that was how the Sun and the Moon had been created. ‘But he also said that Chronus took control of the Sun and the Moon. That would mean…’

Realization hit Spike. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were descendants of Chronus! The little dragon was left speechless with his own discovery, but decided not to tell Sarr about it.

“Is something wrong, my prince? Do you want to stop for today?” Sarr asked, noticing Spike’s absence of mind. “We have still plenty of time before sunset, but if you want to stop…”

“No, it’s okay.” Spike answered coming out of his absorption. “Please go on.”

“As you wish, my prince.” Sarr nodded and looked again at the hieroglyphics in the walls.

“The war was over, although remnants from the Army of Shadows remained in the world. These remnants were hunted and locked in the place universally called Tartarus. Many guardians were placed in its many entrances so nothing would escape. And so, the world was at peace again. Life bloomed again, with new creatures that replaced the species that disappeared in the war. Among these new creatures were Chronus’s children.”

Spike looked at another carving in the wall. This one depicted many ponies, earth ponies, pegasi, and unicorns, surrounding the alicorn. Sarr snarled.

“Yes. Ponies. Although they are weak, mortal, and oblivious to the world outside their little utopia, they are still creations of Chronus, and must be respected. Specially the alicorns, which are Chronus’s direct descendants.”

Spike gulped down. It seemed that even here ponies not particularly liked, although they seemed to be respected a bit.

“However, things were different now. Maybe it was the shock of Akatosh’s death, which afflicted every other dragon, or the horrid essence of the Void that had tainted him, but Alduin started acting different. He once was honorable and prideful, but he became arrogant and bearish. He even blamed the mortal beings for our god’s death.”

“And then it finally happened. Alduin and the dragons turned against Chronus and his and Akatosh’s creation. He came to the conclusion that since they were the first creatures born they had the right to rule the world in Akatosh’s absence. And so, they began to march south from their territories in the north.”

“But not all dragons rebelled. In the previous war Alduin had gathered five generals to command the armies, their names were lost in time. Four of them were loyal to Alduin when he attacked, but the Fifth General remained loyal to Akatosh, and so he and everyone that thought the same as him flew south and alerted Chronus.”

“Chronus created an army from all the lesser beings, and along with the dragon rebels, he fought Alduin and his lust for domination. But it was a lost cause, Alduin and his forces were too strong. Nothing could stop them, until in the world’s darkest hour, Akatosh’s heard Chronus pleas for help. The Great Dragon then imbued Chronus’s most trusted warrior with his essence, and the Dragonborn was created. Part mortal, part dragon, he could naturally use the Thu’um, and absorb a dragon’s soul to become stronger. He was Akatosh’s Chosen One.”

Spike took a look at a carving Sarr was looking at: Alduin looking upwards, facing what it seemed to be a pegasus pony. Another thing that astonished Spike.

“The Dragonborn, along with Paarthurnax, Alduin’s brother and lieutenant, who had changed his mind and betrayed Alduin, fought the World Eater, title he had set himself, and won. But his soul could not be absorbed by the Dragonborn, so its fate is still unknown. The Dragonborn and Paarthurnax disappeared after this, their fate also unknown.”

“Order and peace were reestablished again, but not everything had changed back to normal. In his last breath, Alduin cursed dragonkind. We would feel the greed he once fell for, and we would forever be monsters, nothing more than twisted remnants of the proud race we once were. Alduin’s army let this curse take its course, even accepting it. They spread through the world and turned into the monsters other lesser races know. But the Fifth General and his followers did not resign to this fate. They found their place here, in the Northern Wastelands, and called it home. Draconia was founded, and the Fifth General became its first King.”

Sarr sighed, and light seemed to return to the room. “That is pretty much the history of not only our race, but of our whole world as well. This is something you need to know, my prince, dragons were not always the greedy beasts the lesser races think of us. Those outsiders gave up to their greed long time ago. But Draconia will forever be a reminder of the old days for our race, when we fulfilled our purpose. We will never fall.”

Spike was thinking about a lot of things when he and Sarr exited the Tower and went to the palace. Ever since he got here his previous knowledge about dragons had been put upside down. Now he knew what it really meant to be a dragon, a First Born. And he was proud of his origins.


Three weeks had passed. Spike had learnt more about Draconia, and had matured in both body and mind. He wasn’t the little baby that had left Equestria anymore, he had become a long and slender dragon that stood on four legs, with his wings fully grown and capable of lifting him up. King Kiguroth had taught him fighting techniques and proper manners in court, and Sarr had taught him Draconic language. He had changed, yet he was the same inside. He hadn’t forgotten about Twilight or the others, and still missed them.

Today he had been training in the barracks for the whole morning until his father had called him to the throne room. It seemed urgent, and when he reached the throne room, Kiguroth’s appearance seemed to confirm it. The King seemed distressed, and Sarr at his side was not better.

“Dad, I came as fast as I could. What’s going on?” Spike asked. His voice was also a bit deeper, matching his now grown body, although it was more fluent and soft, unlike the one he had got with his first growth spurt, back in Ponyville.

Kiguroth looked from the messenger in front of him to his son. “We have received grim news from the west frontier.” He said gravely. “It’s the storm giants.”

“What’s with them?”

“They are on the move. After a hundred years of truce, they are attacking again.”