• Published 29th Jan 2014
  • 4,104 Views, 134 Comments

Mercs on a Mission - Gairenard



With war on Equestrians on the horizon; nine hired guns, alongside a new one, are sent to seek and destroy behind enemy lines.

  • ...
14
 134
 4,104

Hoofs clash against Hands

Chapter 8- Hoofs clash against Hands

Clue was and wasn’t happy that Twilight was here to assist him, teaching was never an occupation he thoroughly enjoyed, but now the time had come to sit down and gather the evidence together back at the office. The CSI building was relatively new, opened five years ago. The building was remodeled some little time after the first encounter, as it then became influenced by human design. The main colors were gray, white, and a dull silver. However, the building was separated into multiple floors, each with a different color on the walls for some much needed contrast. Clue was just entering the bottom grey floor through the front door, when he was greeted by his pegasus college, Paper Flap; a soft grey pony with a blond mane and tail, and his eyes of brown.

"Good morning Flappy." Greeted Clue in his casual manner. 'Flappy' did not enjoy his nickname, but he was used to it by now. "Hey Clue, how was lunch?" Flappy’s voice was high and sharp. "Liked it," He flashed his badge to the security guard and receptionist, as Paper followed suit, hovering the whole way down the hallway beside him. "I appreciate the recommendation."
"I assume then Flora will be joining you next time?” Clue rolled his eyes, “Hopefully, but that's none of your business.” Flappy knew Clue didn’t like how other ponies tried to get involved with his relationship, but, like himself, they didn't care.

“Flappy, talk to me, what do we know from this Tuesday?” Flappy took out a pad and paper, and began going through the list. “We were able to locate the location of where the shot was fired, a hotel suite in the Golden Mane.”
“Who was staying in that room?”
“Well, any documentation of their reservation is gone, or wasn't there in the first place. We did get a description of what they might look like. Purple stallion, earth pony, with black mane; accompanied by a mare with red coat and brown mane, unicorn.”
“So we still don't have any leads on their identity?... Are there any employees that quit recently?”
“Not that we know of.” Flappy noticed that as he was unconsciously floating beside Clue, that the pair moved into the stair case.
“What did you find in that room?”
“PHR symbols strewn across the walls, and the place vandalized.”
“Did you find any shell casings?”
“No.”
"So, all'n all we haven't learned much more about the case than what we knew from yesterday."
"Yep."
“What have the guys up here found out about the bullet?”
“I don’t know.” Flappy now saw they were on the science/research floor, themed green. Clue looked back to his friend. “In that case lets have a chat with the bio colts.”
This is the floor where all of the medical research, autopsy, and experiments takes place. While there was still an abundance of cubicles, this floor was mostly structured like a school house with each classroom a lab or medical room. Clue navigated the grids of these halls as if he had a gps hardwired into his head, and quickly, the pair came upon a room with a door number of 49. Without knocking, Clue and Flappy entered the lab where upon seeing the ponies of Twilight Sparkle, a dark brown earth pony by the name of Micro Scopic, and a gentle green Unicorn mare by the name of Botany Flora.
Micro was the first to greet his observant co worker and go-for intern with a rich lower voice with a carefree attitude. “Hey there you two. Clue, Twilight here has been quite an interesting sidekick you’ve chosen.” Flora agreed with that statement in her sweet and mellow cords, “Yes, she is quite an interesting choice for a sidekick.” putting a suggestive emphasis and countenance on ‘sidekick’ and tossing her beige mane back. Before Clue could object, and before Flappy failed to contain his chuckle, the present princess did both. “(giggle) He didn't chose me voluntarily, Celestia assigned me to him.”
Clue for one wanted to get down to business, “Alright, small talk later. What have you found out from the bullet?” The trio of scientists looked at one another with uncertainty. “Nothing? Really?!” Trying to find a good excuse, Micro did better and found a good reason, “We aren't gunsmiths, no one here is. And what good can we find in it? Any traces of oil or magic wasn’t found on it in the first place.”
“Look, here. We might just discover something. Do we know what's it’s made of?”
“The results haven’t come in yet, but its still probably just a lead bullet.”
“Bring me the bullet. I know a thing or two about them.” Obliging his friend, Flora levitated the near perfect bullet from a nearby table. "The fact that it went through someone's skull and still came out hardly dented is scary, but fascinating." Clue leaned his head back in an exaggerated motion. "That is the main reason for the material make-up testing." Clue only need see it before he knew what he could learn from it. “7.62 by 51mm NATO round.” His face grew slightly sour. “Typical sniper’s bullet. Dam, there is a wide variety of guns that can shoot this.” Flora put her hoof on his shoulder, “Look Cluely, as the war will go on we will get more data. This is all part of the learning curve.” Deeply, Clue appreciated her touch. But he wasn't about to tell her how much.

-South West of the Nation-

Fort Juniper, while famous for the forest around it, also had a unique construction of wood and stone walls. It was midday and the sun beat down with scorn upon the stone walls, backed by the local wood. If one took 25 average single story houses, including the backyard, and grouped them together into a 5x5 cube, the resulting area would be an approximate representation of the surface. Below, barracks and supplies found shelter. Juniper was a happy fort. Glad to have her original purpose fulfilled once more, and only desired to see the fire of war. The main interior behind the walls was a simple half circular area and beyond that the rest of the fort was structure with doors leading to the barracks below. A small tower stood at the very back.
A soldier, chosen at a game of miny-moe, rubbed his eyes from boredom once more before a bullet intersected with his head. The nearest sentry turned, and saw a sight for frightened eyes. “HUMANS INCOMING!” A horn was blown and the heart of Juniper came alive with the pulsing of hooves. Heavy, Medic, Pyro, Rifleman, Engineer, followed lastly by a careful Sniper, charged at the fort with guns ablazing.
Unicorns at the rim of the castle wall drew bows as fast as they could, but fellow archers were being brought down by a quickscoper.
A stray arrow shot its way through heavy’s arm, but the only response he gave was a painful growl. His spirits lifted, the arrows a Sniper could fling hurt much more compared to this. It still hurt though. Heavy focused on the charging airborne pegasi. They swerved and dodged but the unpredictability of bullets was more than able to down the birds before they got too close.
Fallen birds and Earth ponies, who ran at them with drawn swords and blades, most only got half way as a machine gun ate through the thin armor. Rifleman's wrath was smooth and efficient; Two bullets or three per target, equals 10-15 ponies per 30 rounds. If one caught him off guard, a pistol was still at hand, or a quick swipe and limbs would fly from the machete.
Pyro focused less on the charging horses, but more on the flying arrows. The unnatural reflexes of the beast proved impeccable as Pyro perfected the reflection technique. An arrow aimed at it flew at menacing speeds, but not before making a perfect 180 back to the sender, ending his career.
Medic was paying as much attention to his teammates as he was to the enemy. The arrows team members absorbed were pushed out by the body thanks to the medigun’s rapid heal rate. The german was misleadingly swift and nimble, almost as good as Scout. His job was to stay standing, and let them do the killing, so Medic ducked dodged and weaved through the majority of arrows directed at him, while he ran two and fro teammates.
Engineer threw down a single mini-sentry. The sentries received new software and programming, thus they became quick killers with some AI intellect. The little gun had no range limit and put pegasi as priority. What many heavy couldn't catch, it shot down, and Engie kept the archers at bay with persistent pistol shots.
The party moved forward at a profound pace with decreasing resistance. A warrior hesitated at the gate, the sight of his fallen brothers and sisters gave instinct reason to run. As he looked behind him, he felt stupid for not noticing the surprise attackers.
Soldier, Demoman, Spy, and Scout had sprang above the wall from behind. The fort was experiencing a full on massacre. The pony tuned back to his opponents, only to have life cut short with an uncloaked revolver from the high walls. The area was filled with cries of pain, explosions of blood, and the desperate yelling of human voices.
“To ye left!”

“Missed me!”
“MEDIC!”

“Cover me Heavy!”

“Da”

“I will have to wash my suit after this.”
“Reloading!”

“Makin horse-bacon.”

“HUDA!”

“Piss of archers! I’m hit!”
“Rifleman! Pick the archers!”

“On it!”
“You maggots are a disgrace to the art of war! Your death is a service to your princess!”
"I am both happy to see the blood of battle, yet sad to slay my kin. But it is too late to switch sides." Soldier shot rockets unto the ground below as more ponies flooded out from the underground housing. "To your right!" He tuned right and fired at a unicorn. This pony was lucky and leaped left before her horn glowed in an attempt to hold the weapon. Her face was slapped into a state of surprise as the magic could not grip the launcher or the arm that held it.
But she did not give up.
The next rocket was held in blue aura, it flew past on her right and made a sharp orbit to return back to the target.
Soldier rolled to dodge and drew his shotgun, but the mare formed a projectile shield as he had moved, therefore the shotgun shells bounced harmlessly off the field.
Soldier was left with one option and drew his shovel whilst charging at his foe.
She didn't back down and upholstered a single sword from her holster to parry the shovel's swing.
"Soldier, let me have control, this is where we can excel!" Suddenly, Soldier felt a influx of energy and strength fill his body and swell through pulsing veins. Redwood's thoughts became part of his own and his arms and legs moved with sub-involuntary action. His eyes dilated and his vision sharpened, as the two souls fused into one.
The mare swung her blade only to have it parried with impressive force, and the rebound from impact gave Redwood enough time to strike a dazzling blow that she would not recover from.
From behind, an earth pony with a flail whip on his tail swung but Soldier rolled forward under the swing and drew his shotgun. The pony was then dragged of the platform as his limp body could not resist the momentum from the flail. “Ahh, the thrill of battle, my true home. I am sorry brothers, but I must indulge myself.”

“Getting a little dark there.”
“I haven't seen or done anything in hundreds of years! I am more than willing to do this deed! Condemn me to hell if it comes to it!”

On the ground, a level three sentry laid waste to the enemy forces. Engineer leaned on his dispenser and played his guitar while body parts were sent flying from an explosion. In the eyes of the autogun, the ponies had red target boxes overlaid them, and a processor calculated action every millisecond in order to keep pace with the chaos of battle. A group of three ponies, one unicorn and two earth, was moving toward an unsuspecting Pyro, who had cornered some helpless fighters and was merely roasting them to well-done. A quad set of sub-rockets was propelled towards them, while the turret then focused on pegasi gaining altitude. Radar alerted main control that the rockets where coming back. With only precision achievable via computer, a quick spray of bullets intercepted the rockets and they detonated mid flight.
The three ponies were left in the dust of a french man, lighting a new cigarette. An archer; aiming for the Spy’s head, was blown to bits by a well placed headshot.

Demoman’s grenades had been overrun by a valiant trio and he was forced to use his Eyelander. His greatsword was, unlike most heavy weapons, half the weight of what one would expect. Each head (20 collected so far) made him faster and the small shield proves invaluable against ax heads and other sharp objects. The Scott leaned to the left to avoid a mace, but also threw up his shield to thwart an arrow. The soul sword collected another head upon aggressive stance recovery.
The remaining fighter pony could only think a partial thought before he was instantly killed by the human slamming into him with unknown speed and impressive momentum. This transferred force threw the body upon the archer behind him, and the pair was eliminated with a single grenade.
A pegasus managed to slip through the meaty fingers of sentry fire and covering Heavy support, his target was Demo and daggered horseshoes would be driven into the man’s spine… If not for the baseball knocking the stallion into the ground. Followed by a cleaver to the face.

Suddenly, the main doors from the fort housing within sprang open, a pair of unicorns emerged followed by a team of pegasi and earth ponies. The unicorns were supporting a projectile shield bubble around their team, and everyone else used ranged weapons or where on guard if anyone got too close. The force crept forward unscathed thus far as the sentry was powerless against the shield. Sniper unleashed a fully charged shot, but it bounced off and into an earth pony instead. "Ahh, piss. Soldier! We need some support here!"

"Kinda busy!" An electric unicorn was trying to chip away at Soldier's health while a chain whip earth pony slashed at a safer distance. "I would think electricity would hurt more." Redwood only chuckled in response, "I am the embodiment of the redwood wood. That wood is excellent against the elements and therefore, as a pair, we possess a major magic resistance!" Soldier parried the whip and quickly threw his shovel at the unicorn with huge strength. As predicted, the shovel made a counter; a quick U-turn behind the horse and sent back with equal momentum. Leaning to avoid it, Redwood outsmarted the poor colt by using the predicted move to send the shovel into the whippers face. The stallion froze as he saw his undoing, and made no move to stop the pickax from making contact. "They were probably good friends Soldier, I do feel bad for that."
"Incoming!" A black unicorn in thick chain mail approached with two menacing blades fastened to the wrist of each front hoof. The weird thing was that he hovered toward them in a bipedal way
of standing. Soldier retrieved his shovel and met his foe in proper combat.

Demo was trying to bust through the bubble with his grenades, but with no success. "Demo!" Eyelander called, "I have a good idea! If you do find a way to break the bubble, charge at them, trust me!" Demo growled at his lack of progress, "This is a wee bit of a sticky situation! The stick bombs are getting pushed aside, and I can’t dump too much on them without blowing us up as well!" Eyelander still pursued opportunity, "Then what do you use in a finicky spot?" This was rhetorical. "DONKING TIME!"
The grenade launcher was set aside, the Loose Cannon was brought out to play. The first timed cannon ball barely had time to bounce of before an explosion came no later than .5 seconds. This is the time window is for the donk affect. The following donk rang throughout the grounds as an odd, out of place noise.
But make no mistake, double donk 2.0 hurts much more than the original, Demo has had some extra time to improve his explosives some more than what he was given at the start. It is his own design after all, and he was dissatisfied with how his Loose Cannon was improved. The bubble visibly rippled in the funny noise, and Demo saw that this was the best current option against the shield.
"MEDIC!" Demo ran to the doctor as fast as his legs could take him. The forces where just more than half way to Engie and Heavy.
"Vat!?" He yelled over the gunfire, even when they had mics.
"Charge me doc!"
"Are you sure?!"
"Damn right I am!"
"Then," Medic turned the medigun on Demo, "Go set them!"
Uber deployed.
Demo burned a holy purple, and shot krit cannon after krit cannon, each one performing a deadly critical donk. "You’re all bloody dead!"
The force field rippled, wavered, cracked at the seams as the unicorns inside began bleeding from the nose and crying in thirsty pain.
The sixth donk broke them.
Demo charged and Eyelander channeled his power into the charge. The moment the shield made contact with flesh, a humongous shock wave blew back all the ponies and debris in front of Demo as if they were all hit at the same time by a freight train.

-A few minutes prior-

The two warriors on the wall swung their weapons back and forth, with each stroke intending to kill if it did hit the elusive opponent. The pegasus was unusually substantial and lean for one of his kind, but Soldier was unusually strong and swift for one of his own. Then again one could say that Heavy is unusually big for an individual, but don’t tell him I said that.
The pair of them traded blows against each others weapons, the pegasus used his swift anatomy to strike and recede with impressive speed. Soldier had to stand his ground, but found his enemy moved too fast for him to counter an attack. The shovel and pick had great defensive traits, but they were never designed for combat. Because of the curve of a pick the ax may only be swung in certain ways, and the shovel wasn't very sharp. Neither of them had a longer reach or versatility. Redwood needed to hold a sword. "These things are clumsy to work with! I need a sword, or a mace!" The black pegasus bounced back from Soldier's parries and just as quickly recovered, providing an unrelenting attack. "Damn it Solly! I need a real weapon!"
Soldier was getting tired of this complaining. He wished he had his zatoichi but that could be ordered later.
The weapons at his feet from the fallen where daggers in his huge hands, but if Redwood needed a break, they were the best option.
However, looking at the ground for only one minuscule moment, gave Soldier a good idea. "I am optimistic about this plan!"
“Then let me take care of it numb-nuts!” Soldier rolled to his left before back reaching into his into his pocket to draw his back up plan. The black horse turned on a dime and backed off to avoid the swing of a-
Rocket launcher?
Dark horse swerved left to avoid the rocket and charged in. He would be too fast to hit before his swords teared the human to shreds.
In the last moment, Soldier jumped and pulled the trigger at his own feet. The man was launched high from the blast but his boots protected him from major self infliction.
The pony wasn’t so lucky.
He felt dazed from the explosion and falling rubble, and agonizing pain told him that he was lucky to still have eyes to see the open sky. To see the holy light take him…
To see a pair of shoes crashing down on his face.
Followed by a deafening shock wave that he could no longer hear.
The wall proved to be enough of a barrier to thwart the shock wave from sending Soldier off the wall.

Suddenly, silence. The sound of the sentry gun beeping back and forth indicated no more hostiles in the area. Engie stopped playing his guitar and heaved a relaxing sigh. "Welp, I guess thats that. Rifle, got yer blade stuck?" The marine had his hand on the machete's handle, and was trying to wrestle it from having it wedged in a dead skull. "Com’on bastard, let me, have my. Knife. Back..." A sickening crack later and the weapon broke free. Soldier stood in a small ring of dead bodies and a crater. The flow of physical power subsided as fast as it came. "I haven’t moved like that in ages! Its feels good to live a little."
"Augh.." Soldier lifted a shoe. "I got pony brains on my boots, I wanted to keep his head!"

Scout picked up his dirty cleaver and Demo picked up the ball. "Good shot lad." He handed the ball back to its owner. "Thanks. Oh! To victor goes the spoils! Lets raid this place!" Hearing the call, and being closest to a door, Rifleman opened said door. Ajar at first, but the moment he fully let light shine into the base, a unicorn mare with two axes leaped out of the darkness, charging towards her prey!

This was met with a door slamming into her face.

Reopening the door again, Rifleman saw the two battle axes embedded into the wooden wall. "I'm sorry mam but you need to take your complaint to the customer service department." He pulled out his pistol and shot her twice. "We have a valid search warrant." Glancing over his shoulder, everyone else was waiting behind him. Spy looked into the dark staircase. "There may be more down there. Perhaps some traps as well." Sniper agreed, "Fair point mate," he put his hand on Spy's shoulder, "You go first."
Spy sighed in defeat and grumbled under his breath as he cloaked himself while descending. Though invisible, his footsteps could still be heard until there was silence.

More silence...

Then, quite suddenly, apart from Rifleman, the team began to speak in unison. "One, two, three," Noises began echoing from the chaos below.
"Ahhhh!" Bang! Booom!....

...Peace and quiet. "Four, five, six,"
Bang! "The ha-"
"Die damn you!"
"Buck!!"
Bang-Bang!

Like the fall of a feather. "Seven, eight, nine,"
Crunch! Bunk, Bunk, “AGH!” Snap!
"Ten."
"Gentlemen! I'm waiting!"

The stairs where dry and light was only present from a single torch seen a distance down the staircase. After the party descended into the base, Spy was found leaning against a wall eating an apple. “From what I can tell, there is a healthy inventory down here.” The walls of stone turned slightly damp, and the head height was barely high enough for Heavy. The interior was wood and stone, the set up was right out of the medieval era. Barrels, sacks, clumpy furniture, and hay beds. They would take all they could and retreat back to the mountain.

-Across the Sea-

A man of high rankings stood before a burning cottage on the edges of Australia. Beside him a pony in battle armor struggled against chain cuffs and a human restraint. “Sir,” The restrainer said, “We found this officer hiding under a desk.” The man turned to his private, and then looked down at the resentful stallion. His tone was merry and his voice was rough. "War has come at last boys. Let the bullets ring and the reaper sing. War has come at last." He pulled out his pistol, aimed at the pony’s head, and pulled the trigger.

Author's Note:

Huzzah! Over 4000 words! I know that is beyond my limit, but I couldn't find a way to split this into two parts and still have good plot flow. Besides, 500 extra words wont hurt. I had planned some extra 300+ words of detail, but at that point, it would have been overboard.

And as always: Constructive feedback is always appreciated.