• Published 27th Jan 2014
  • 563 Views, 20 Comments

Bitter Sweetness - Zuzanna



Sweetie Belle finds herself in a dream-like universe, perfect enough to be imperfect, to find somepony that she truly does miss.

  • ...
2
 20
 563

Dreams

The hard rain poured down on my coat. Everything had a surreal pink aura to it. The sky was starless. I sighed as I imagined the sweet smell of fresh rain and freedom. I wandered out into the starless night. Why it was starless, instead of gleaming with them?

Perhaps, maybe, it wasn't reality. Not even close. But Equestria was so far away, and here, it was so... perfect. Perfection has limits, in the real world, which is what makes this world... more than perfect.

I could hear whispering, not too far off in the distance.
"Hello, my dear sister," it sang, in a voice that was unmistakable. The harsh rain turned to a soft snow.

I smiled softly. "Rarity!" I exclaimed quietly. "You didn't forget me!"
I ran up to her and hugged her, snuggling up to her happily, underneath the warmth of her fur and breath underneath an umbrella.

"Why would I ever forget you?" She said, snuggling back. I embraced the moment. After all, it would have been way too good to be true. Even though I knew it most likely wasn't. I hadn't the slightest clue whether this was dream or reality, but I guess it's neither for now. I cannot sleep, nor shall I wake up.
For this is how it shall be.

Hours and hours had gone by, second by second, as we played and sang and cuddled as perfect sisters would. Dream come true, right? What little I would have realized was the more I stayed, the more things would change, both here and in the real world.

After years and years, I would have forgotten nearly everything and everyone. Who I loved so dearly, my friends and my more-than-friends, my parents and my home, everyone who had ever meant anything more to me. Except, for her, my one sister. My true sister. Nopony can replace her, ever. I told myself, and with me it stuck.

There were great dangers I could not have understood. After all, what is the point of understanding when you can just know? But one day, I stopped. I felt like something was missing. Something I must have remembered from before I came here... but... what was it? What could it have possibly been?

"Now, now, darling," said Rarity, placing an endearing hoof on my shoulder as I stared off into the starless night once more, "What has you so down?" She handed me a cup of cocoa, my favorite, with three marshmallows in it. Three exactly. Perhaps it meant something, but perhaps not. I was sure not to know.

But then I asked. "Is there something - anything, that you know... about... life?"
Rarity cocked her head at my odd question. "Why, whatever do you mean darling?" She stroked my mane. It was still comforting, but now, redundant.
"Everything seems perfect. Too perfect." I sighed.
She frowned. "What's wrong with perfect?" She asked.

I looked up at the sky, and imagined teeny little white figures... stars, I could say. "This isn't right... you're not Rarity, you're not anything like Rarity!"
She gasped. "Now, Sweetie Belle..."
I pushed her away. "No! The real Rarity isn't perfect... I..."

My surreal sister patted me on the head. "Perhaps not, but you can't do anything about it now... perhaps... and why would you want anything different? Anypony else wouldn't care about you now. But I do-" I ran off. I kept on running. If I got lost in time and space, so what? It would be better than knowing this was too good - or, not good - to be true. All I wanted now was reality. If I could remember what reality was like. But how?

After laying into now what was hard, painless, rain, I thought I could hear voices. Yes, voices, faint voices - laughter. Cheerful, happy laughter. I could not piece out where it was coming from.
My left? No, my right... or... my head. I could hear it in my head. They kept getting louder. What if I tried to piece them out? I heard myself. My own voice. And there were two others, distictly different from one another. Yes...

One of them's got an accent. And the other one was slightly raspy.
I couldn't remember much more of them... But I knew they were there with me, in my heart.

I slept soundly in the rain. Who knew what would come next?
It seems like ages I would be stuck there. Years, Decades, Centuries. But every night I wake up to the same thing. Or are they dreams? What if reality was just... too good to be true?
The Land of Dreams can wreak havoc if you're not careful.

I wake up now, in my bed. I ponder upon whether life really worth living.
I get up, and look out the window. It's snowing. Really.
Fillies and colts are dressed up warmly. I gasped. How could I forget?

I suddenly hear a knock on my door. "Coming!" I exclaim.
Opening it, I saw the two fillies you'd expect to see.
Apple Bloom and Scootaloo.
"C'mon!" Said my yellow friend, filled with eagerness and excitement.
I plastered on a fake smile, and followed them out to the town.

Today was the Mid-Winter Snowfall Celebration. Ponies from all over Equestria come to ice dance and have fun.
The streets fill with the sweet smell of cinnamon, and the busy townfolk chatter. I'd be happy on a day like this.
normally, I am... Just, not today.

My sister has been gone for eight weeks, with no signs of return. Ponies have been supportive, but it doesn't really work.
The one time she needed me, I wasn't there. I wasn't there for her, and now...
I sighed. Silvery tears welled up in my eyes. I watched my two friends skating on the ice, having fun. Apple Bloom noticed me and skated over.
"Aren't ya alright?" She asked, worriedly.
"I'm fine," I lied.
"Ya know, ya can't hide it from me forever. I'm your friend, and I'll always be here for ya, no matter what. You can tell me anythin', and I'll still be yer friend. Ah know how hard it is to give in to somepony sometimes, but even in the hardest of times, I'll be there for ya."

I gave a little smile, which quickly faded.
Even though I knew for sure she was still there in my heart, there were some doubts. I might never see her again... and... I never got to say goodbye.

Sometimes there are things that hurt me to think about, but that's what dreams are for, right?

Author's Note:

Oh. My. Goodness! Fell in love with this idea as soon as it popped up into my head. Whee! :D

It was kinda inspired a little by Everlost and Coraline, but only slightly.