• Published 27th Jan 2014
  • 559 Views, 20 Comments

Bitter Sweetness - Zuzanna



Sweetie Belle finds herself in a dream-like universe, perfect enough to be imperfect, to find somepony that she truly does miss.

  • ...
2
 20
 559

A Winter Crusade

"C'mon, there's got ta be a way to cheer ya up!" Exclaimed Apple Bloom
"Yeah," agreed my Pegasus friend, "Just like how we did when Apple Bloom was upset... you know, like this!"
The earth pony smiled.
"It's not the same thing!" I whined. If only I could go back to dreaming now... that would be nice...

A gentle snowflake fell on my nose.
AB smirked. Tapping Scootaloo on the shoulder, she whispered something in her ear. Scootaloo smiled, confident.
"That is a great idea!" she said, chuckling.
I hadn't the slightest idea what they were talking about, and I'm not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing. All I knew was that something was going on.

"So... Sweetie Belle... How 'bout we go crusadin'? Winter crusadin'?" Apple Bloom suggested. "Ya'll could earn yer cutie marks..."
I thought about it some. It does tend to cheer me up, well, at least until we fail.
But she was right. I needed something to distract me from it.
My friends winked at each other with a quiet hoof-bump.
"Maybe... maybe we could... y'know..."

I thought about it for a while. Ponyville was always so lovely, so filled with joyfulness everywhere. But now, some things seem to be a little... bland. I don't think they've closed down Carousel Boutique, but if we don't do something, surely it will. Black sheer curtains would drape over the windows, outfits would be donated or auctioned.
Thankfully, I had an idea. Perhaps it wasn't the best, but it's worth a shot.


"Ah know you'd do anythin' for yer sister, but... Are ya absolutely sure this is the best idea?" Apple Bloom hung a purple scarf around my neck. "Ah mean, just going out in this weather-"
I looked her straight in the eye. "Desperate times call for desperate measures! Anyways, I'll be fine. It's just snow. It's not like it's the end of the world, right? I'll be back soon, I promise!"
"You should at least take us with you. You know, for backup - In case anything happens!" Scootaloo wrapped her hoof around me.
"Yeah! Like... like... jus' us three gals, together..."
That's when I made the mistake. The mistake of saying no. "Sorry... but I feel like I need to do this on my own."
I knew it wasn't exactly the brightest choice, but it was of that moment... I... I had to. There was nothing else to say.
I turned away because I didn't want to see the look of disappointment in their eyes. I didn't like it.

Apple Bloom sighed. I climbed up into the orange train cart, which was quite warm and cozy compared to the outdoor weather. It was near a blizzard. I sure hope that the pegasi of Ponyville don't let it get too out of control without any warning.
I watched out my window sorrowfully as the train pulled away from the station. It felt a bit smoother than usual because of the thick sleet.

I always hated saying goodbye. To my friends, to my home, to my sister - But it will only be a matter of time before I can say 'Hello!' again. I remember the glimmer I saw in Rarity's eyes before she left. The gift of courage, determination. Things I wish I had right now. To be honest, I'm scared. I don't know what to do, or where to go, I'm just hoping this will lead me in the right direction.
"Follow your heart," Rarity would say.

I know that moment. The terrifying anger that was born inside of me. It was the Reality Moon. It was the last thing I remember her saying. Reality Moon. Reality... What does it mean? I closed my eyes. Maybe now would be a good time to rest. I thought about everything. Or at least, everything there was to think about.
I find it strange that I feel so... different.

I just always have had that energetic burst, that eagerness to make sure nothing stands in my way. But now, I feel like I've got nowhere to go. So there I lie, as I waited for the right moment to come. But not yet.
For now, I will just sleep. Let me come back to those dreams... They're my only hope for helping me through this.

If I could have one star represent a night I've been having them, I'd probably have enough stars to fill up the town of Appaloosa. I've had these dreams since, well, for a few months, even before she'd left - In fact, I'm still kinda confused to why I've still got them. I had an image in my head the other day which might give me some conclusions, but I'm still not sure if they're the right kind of answers I'm looking for.

Maybe I should look into this some more. I'd have to ask somepony about it, and I knew exactly who to ask.

Perhaps I wasn't sleeping quite soundly enough to actually dream, but I guess that's okay - less distractions.
The train stopped with a "SCREEEEK!".
"Canterlot!" I exclaimed, excitedly.

I haven't gone to Canterlot that much before, so it was quite the sight just looking around the place.
I was surprised when I bumped into somepony I was, well, sort of expecting.
"Oof!"
I gasped, and bowed.
"I'm terribly sorry-"
"It's alright, dear filly... we've been expecting you,"
I cocked my head to the side. "You... uh... you have?"
"Why yes, I see thee every night..."
I laughed, fakely. "Yes, about that - look, Princess, I was... um... hoping you could help me with something... something important,"
She nodded. "Ah... yes... follow me, we have somewhere to go..."

~

Author's Note:

I didn't add Luna to the list of characters, as she would have spoiled this for you - so here we go!