• Published 31st Jan 2014
  • 4,876 Views, 76 Comments

Scootaloo's Heartache - Twi-Fi



Scootaloo can't help the feelings she has for a friend.

  • ...
9
 76
 4,876

Shocking Revelations

Scootaloo knocked on Twilight's door. She jumped a little as the door swung open to reveal a lavender alicorn standing in the threshold.

"Oh, hello Scootaloo. Why don't you come in?" Twilight said taking note of Scootaloo's over all tense look. She offered the filly a warm smile.

"Thanks Twilight." Sootaloo responded automatically. She stepped into the large circular room of the library and surveyed the book selfs and the thousands of books on them. Oh wow, I've never paid attention to how many books are actually in here.

"And what do I owe the pleasure?" Twilight asked.

"It's just, um, I was - well I was wondering if I could look for some books..." Scootaloo trailed off rather lamely. I'm in a library! Look for books, really?

"Okay sure, is there anything in particular you are looking for? A Daring Doo book? Rainbow Dash loves those books." Twilight said enthusiastically.

"Yeah. I- I m-mean no. I was just hoping to browse through them; you know, see if there's something interesting - um, to me." Scootaloo said nervously.

"Well, everything is sorted alphabetically by category. Just put everything back where you found it." Twilight said a little confused. "Where are your friends?

"Oh, yeah they had - um - um, chores to do, yeah ." Scootaloo said nervously. She looked at all the shelves again. Wow, maybe I should tell her what I'm looking for, there are so many books. Scootaloo considered it for a second but decided against it. I don't even know what I'm looking for. I don't want to explain my situation to her.

"Well if you need anything I'll be upstairs and Spike will be home in a little while, I sent him out for supplies." Twilight said then climbed the stairs to her bedroom.

Scootaloo scanned the categories of books and paused on the romance section, considering it. Maybe there's something in there. She pulled a book out at random and read the back. "Blue Thread, a famous scarf maker is a shy mare that can't help but notice how "big" her neighbor stallion Gambler is. She lusts for the rough n' tough "bad" pony but does he even notice her?" -Oh come on! This just sounds dirty and I'm not even sure what it means! Scootaloo shoved the book back in its spot. She pulled out another book at random "Loving Sunshine" Hmm... She flipped the book over. "Famous writer Ruby Novel has written about love countless times; however, love was something she was never actually interested in. Romance sold, it supported her lavish lifestyle.... Everything changes though when a young and beautiful mare, Sunshine, moves into the mansion next door". "Hmmm?" Scootaloo didn't expect to find a book like that. This doesn't sound bad and it's about two mares - what's the worst that can happen? She opened the book to a random section in the middle. "Their eyes met, Sunshine pulled Ruby into a passionate kiss. Their tongues exploring each other's mouths. Sunshine pushed Ruby on the bed falling on top of her not breaking the kiss. Their lips parted and she kissed Ruby's neck. Ruby moaned softly. Sunshine knew she wanted more; she kissed her lower and lower-" Scootaloo slammed the book shut and shoved it back in the self her heart pounding, her face felt hot. Wow! That was um... just wow. I'm afraid to see what else is in this section, worst idea ever! Scootaloo vowed to never mention what she just read to anypony, ever. She was about to give up when the words "Pony Psych" caught her attention. Maybe... She looked though the books in the section; most of the books were about understanding the brain and psychological development, whatever that was. Too sciencey. At the end of the shelf she spotted a small book called "10 Ways to Tell if You Are Falling in Love" Perfect! she pulled it off the shelf eagerly and opened it. "That special somepony."


Twilight sat her book down and gazed out her window. She thought it peculiar that Scootaloo was in her library to actually read books. She seemed awfully tense, strange for such an outgoing filly. Maybe she's just nervous about being seen in a library. Twilight giggled at that thought. Still, something could be bothering her, it's unusual of her to be here alone. Maybe I should check on her. Twilight left her room and spotted Scootaloo laying on the floor under the pony psych section reading a small book with a worried expression on her face. Twilight recognized the book instantly, she had read it several times herself. Oh, well that explains a lot. Twilight smiled. "Hey Scootaloo, I'm just-" Twilight was cut off as the Scootaloo jumped to her feet, her eyes bulging in shock. "Checking on you." Twilight finished her sentence. "Sorry I didn't mean to startle you." She said softly. Scootaloo just stood there with wide eyes unsure how to proceed. "Why don't you come in the kitchen for a cup of tea and we can talk." Twilight said with a friendly smile. Scootaloo didn't budge. "Come on, I think I can help you more than that book." She offered.

"You know, wh-what thi-this book is?" Scootaloo stammered.

"Of course I know what it is, it's my library. I know all the books in here." Twilight smiled. "Now come on." She's got it bad. Twilight entered the kitchen and used her magic to heat up some water. The kitchen door swung open a few minutes later as a reluctant Scootaloo entered and sat at the table avoiding Twilight's eyes. Twilight levitated the tea over. "Looks like you got crush on somepony." Twilight stated, smiling at Scootaloo.

"No!" Scootaloo said a little too quickly.

"Oh, it's obvious you are quite taken by somepony. Why else would you be so jumpy and be in here reading a book called "10 Ways to Tell if You Are Falling in Love?" Twilight asked.

"It's not a crush!" Scootaloo exclaimed. Relax, play it cool.. "It's something more." Why did I say that?

"Oh? Why do you say that?" Twilight asked. "I'm guessing he doesn't know how you feel."

"No, um - this pony doesn't even know. It's complicated." Scootaloo said trying her best not to reveal too much. Twilight offered a sympathetic smile as Scootaloo's lips began to quiver. She could feel the tears begin to build up behind her eyes. It took all her concentration to hold them back.

"I'm no expert with this stuff but I've read all about it. Sometimes just talking about it will help you feel better."

"Okay, but please don't tell anypony." Scootaloo said with desperation, her heart pounding.

"I promise I won't say anything." Twilight answered in a reassuring tone.

Scootaloo drank some tea and sighed. Might as well tell her, she'll figure it out anyway she's like super smart. "Okay, the thing is well - it's not how you would think. I mean - I don't know what I mean..." Scootaloo teared up a little. Twilight looked at her a little concerned. Okay relax. Don't cry! Just say it!. "I'm trying to say it's not a colt." Scootaloo blurted out. She lowered her head in shame, the tears began to flow.

"Oh, I see-" Twilight was cut off by the loud sobs from the filly. Twilight felt her heart sink. Aw poor thing, she is really in love with somepony close to her. A filly too...hmmm perhaps Sweetie Belle? Twilight wrapped her forelegs around Scootaloo, pulling her into a tight embrace. "It's okay, there's nothing wrong with that. Some mares like other mares and some stallions like other stallions, it happens quite often. Is that what you are worried about?" Twilight asked while doing her best to comfort a distraught Scootaloo.

"Re-really? I thought - I thought something was wr- wrong-" Scootaloo tried to talk between sobs. Twilight's embrace was comforting to her; it told her everything was going to be all right. Her sobbing reduced to sniffles. Come on Scoots, this is no time to fall apart! Look at me, I'm a complete mess. Talking to Twilight of all ponies about all this. Who knew she'd be the first one I'd come out to?

"Aw, it's okay, see. It's actually quite common." Twilight released her embrace and smiled. "It's Sweetie Belle, isn't it?" Twilight asked knowingly. Scootaloo blushed, her cheeks were almost the same shade as her mane, she avoided Twilight's eyes.

How did she do that? "H- how...how?" Was all she could manage to say. Twilight beamed back at her.

"Just a logical guess. From your behavior I could tell you have strong feeling for somepony really close to you and Sweetie Belle's sensitive and caring temperament completes your more outgoing and adventurous nature." Twilight said factually as if reciting one of her pony psych books. She smiled then added, "and she's really cute." Scootaloo blushed again. Aw, so cute.

Scootaloo in spite of herself did feel better now that she was able to talk to somepony about it. She was also relieved to find out that liking other fillies wasn't as unusual as she thought. "How do I tell her and not scare her away? What if she doesn't like fillies and rejects me and never wants to see me again?" Scootaloo asked speaking quickly.

"She's your closest friend. If there's one thing I learned about friendship, it's your best friends will always be there for you. Just find a way to tell her how you feel."

"But what if she - I mean do you think she likes fillies?" Scootaloo asked with a hint of desperation in her voice. Twilight giggled a little at the question.

"I don't know Scootaloo, she's your friend." Twilight said smiling at the filly.

"How do I tell her without scaring her away?"

"If it were me, I'd speak to her when she's alone and tell her how I feel, I suppose. I've - err never actually done that." She sighed. "Tell her in your own way when you are ready." Twilight said giggling a little. Scooaloo smiled.

"Thanks Twilight, I do feel a little better." Scootaloo felt a huge burden lift off her back; she felt normal again. She reacher over the table and hugged Twilight. Now I have to figure out how to tell her...One problem at a time Scoots, one problem at a time.

"No problem, glad I could help." She winked at the orange filly. They sat in comfortable silence drinking their tea for a while. Twilight wondered how things might work out for Scootaloo, she hoped they would turn out for the better. She only wished she could've been more helpful. A loud slam broke the silence, Twilight and Scootaloo jumped. "I think Spike is back." No sooner had she said that when the kitchen door swung open and a disgruntled Spike stormed in.

"Twilight, don't be mad at me! I went to three different shops, everypony is out of five foot scrolls!" Spike exclaimed exasperated. "They all said you bought their entire stock two weeks ago."

"Oh no! Now my checklist for next month's checklist will have to be written on two or three smaller scrolls." Twilight said with a hint of worry in her voice.

Next month's checklist has a checklist? Huh? Scootaloo shook her head.

"I looked in every shop that sold scrolls and other paper supplies." Spike explained looking annoyed.

"It's okay, I'm not mad at you Spike." Twilight said trying to calm him down. "We'll just have to ask one of the shops to special order them for us in bulk." Spike just nodded then took notice of Scootaloo sitting at the table.

"Oh hi, Scootaloo. Sorry about that. Where're Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle?" He asked trying to hide his embarrassment, realizing Scootaloo had witnessed the whole thing.

"Hi Spike, yep just me. They are at home." Scootaloo said blushing slightly at hearing Sweetie's Belle's name.

"I was just helping her with some homework." Twilight said smoothly. Scootaloo smiled glad she covered up her real reason for her visit so easily.

"I should get home, thanks Twilight, I think I know what to do now." Scootaloo hugged Twilight one more time before leaving. She got on her scooter and rode home slowly. Twilight had calmed many of Scootaloo's anxieties but had given her many new things to think about. She sighed, "Oh Sweetie Belle, I'm totally crazy for you."


Apple Bloom made her way out of the school house with Sweetie Belle. "We are talking to Scoots first thing tomorrow!" Apple Bloom said not holding back how annoyed she was.

"Yeah she was acting so strange. I hope she's okay." Sweetie Belle said sounding concerned.

"We will get an answer from her tomorrow for sure. Ah will see you tomorrow Sweetie." Apple Bloom said as they went their separate ways. Apple Bloom walked toward the outskirts of town, toward Sweet Apple Acres. She seemed fine before lunch but maybe something is really wrong. Apple Bloom continued to muse over what could be bothering her friend as she approached the apple orchard. She could see her older sister Applejack by barn stacking barrels. Apple Bloom walked up to the barn.

"Heya sis how was school today?" Applejack asked when she saw Apple Bloom walking up to the barn.

"All right I guess." Apple Bloom said unenthusiastically.

"Oh, now school ain't all that bad." Applejack said. She turned her head to barn. "Big Mac! These barrels are ready to go, take them to the cart, I will empty the rest tomorrow." Applejack called over her shoulder. A big red stallion came out of the barn.

"Eyup." Was all he said as he began lifting empty barrels into a nearby cart.

"Been bucking lots of apples today, it's almost cider season." Applejack said stretching her hind legs. "Ah thought you were going to be with your friends today?"

"We were until Scootaloo had to start acting all funny like." Apple Bloom said still with an annoyed tone in her voice. Applejack frowned.

"Funny like how?"

"Ah don't know, at lunch she kept spacing out and seemed distracted. She kept blushing like a lot then she said she forgot she was hanging out with Rainbow Dash today after school and ditched us. Sweetie Belle thinks something is wrong, Ah'm just annoyed 'cause she won't tell us what's really goin' on!" Apple Bloom explained and to her annoyance her sister just chuckled at her story.

"Ah think I know what that is. She's got it bad." Applejack laughed out loud.

"Got what? Got what? What's bad?" Apple Bloom asked excited. "I mean is it bad?" She asked in a serious tone.

"It sounds like Scootaloo has a serious crush on somepony." Applejack said still chuckling.

"She WHAT?" Apple Bloom exclaimed. "She likes somepony?"

"Oh yes, by the way you describe it, she is quite taken by somepony. Always distracted or daydreaming and blushing. It's nothing to worry about. She's just fallen for somepony big time."

"Ah wonder which colt she likes?" Apple Bloom wonder out loud.

"Colt? I thought she was a fillyfooler." Applejack said under breath but Apple Bloom heard it.

"A filly what?" Apple Bloom asked.

Applejack sighed. I shouldn't have said that now Ah gotta go 'splainin things."Fillyfooler means she likes fillies instead of colts." Applejack said. Apple Bloom looked confused. Dang it. "Look, some ponies are attracted to the same gender, it's just the way they are made."

"Ah see, so you think Scootaloo likes fillies?" Apple Bloom asked still thinking about what her sister said. Ah've head of this, I think...Don't ah have that one cousin who likes other colts? Hmmm I'll have to ask Applejack sometime.

"It's possible but I was joking, something Rainbow Dash and I were - never mind. If she likes fillies it's no big deal. Some of ma friends like other mares." Applejack said still regretting her comment. Me and my mouth, now ah got her thinking something about her friend that may not be true.

"So she might like a colt or a filly. Hmmm ah can't think of who. What if she likes both?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Well, some ponies are attracted to both. Look don't go making a big deal 'bout all this. Scootaloo will tell you who she likes when she feels ready." Applejack said sternly.

"But Ah can help her. I don't care if she likes fillies or colts or dragons or whatever. Cutie Mark Crusaders Love Doctors!"

"Dragons?" Applejack eyed her sister suspiciously. Applejack has long suspected her sister had a little crush on Spike. "Look Apple Bloom it's best not to interfere with these things. This is something Scootaloo needs to workout for herself. If she wants to confide in you then she will. Yes, she might be a little shy about it. Just give her time. You wouldn't like if Ah tried to set you up on dates with some colts or Spike." Applejack added that little bit with a smile. Apple Bloom blushed. Ha, knew it!

"Okay ah won't get in the way but ah need her to focus! We got crusading to do!" Apple Bloom demanded. Applejack just chuckled again.

"She'll come around, just give her a little bit of time to come to her senses. Now run a long, dinner will be ready soon."

Ah guess Scootaloo could like fillies. Maybe she likes me! Na, that would be strange. Ah don't think Ah like Fillies like that. Maybe Sweetie Belle? She was staring at her a lot. They would be cute together. Apple Bloom continued to ponder who Scootaloo could like while she made her way to the house. She knew one thing, she wasn't going to wait around for Scootaloo to tell her anything. She was determined to figure it out. Apple Bloom smiled to herself as a plan began to form in her mind. This will be the best Cutie Mark Crusader idea ever!