• Published 10th Feb 2014
  • 2,281 Views, 48 Comments

The Changeling's Way - Blight Shallow



when equestria found out about these strange creatures of imagination called the Changelings, how would humans cope with such a monstrosity when a couple of their own find themselves with them?

  • ...
9
 48
 2,281

Prologue: Encounters

An abrupt alarm of a chirping clock started a mass of a sudden gasp like someone poured ice cold water on you and many unpleasant groans as Tim, now pale with sweat pouring from the face slammed a hand at the chirping clock to shut off the alarm. "I-it was just a dream." He said under his heavy breathing, trying to comfort himself, "Just a dream." With a sigh, a hand glided across his face to part his frizzy, unkempt hair to get rid of the blur and focus on his room.

He looked around to see that his bedroom was the same. Same posters of Solid Snake and some other video game heroes. The walls were the color of green, his favorite color. His room was a mess that morning but he didn't care right now.he had to comprehend what happened last night.Was I sleep walking again? Tim thought stumbling towards the bathroom across from his room.

Looking into the bathroom there was still some mess in the bathroom though he didn't care right now, he needed time to relax and wake up fully. having much on his mind as is, to be able to be free is much of his concern right now. at the turning of the knob in the bathtub, the water was flowing from the showerhead, making it sound like rain was falling from the ceiling. With much as a sigh, he undressed from his sweat dampened red pajama bottoms and silently stepped into the shower.

The water was very soothing to the sore and tense muscles, making it easier to figure out what he needed to do for another miserable day at school. He wasn't a bad kid, he was just the opposite. all of his grades were higher than any other classmates, practically a perfect attendance. Much of the teachers he had liked to have him in their classroom yet he was treated like the rest of the class. Just the thought of them giving him a simple assignment that would be completed in less than a few minutes made him feel superior, whereas the rest of the students had a few days to complete. But what about the nightmares lately? Surely there is an explanation to them. Tim shook his head to get rid of the thought as he turned off the water.

He grabbed his towel and dried himself off still thinking about the events in that dream. Why was I in a castle? Tim thought with much concern and a little bit of terror but shook the thoughts of the dream. He turned to look into the mirror in the medicine cabinet to look at himself and do his normal ritual of complimenting himself. "Your are a excellent person." Tim whispered to him self trying to make hi self smile, "No one will take that from you". He opens the medicine cabinet up to check its contents. There was a vast array of many different razors that were of his fathers. Some of his newest ones were in their fancy cases with some traces of use and looked like some condensation on them then he saw his collection of razors that were given to him by his father that wanted him to start shaving. knowing that he had to have either way because his beard was beginning to show and that it would ruin his image. "well I'm not leaving like this" Tim said felling his chin with his hand. With a swift pick from his collection he reached for his favorite green razor. the razor was a two bladed razor that has been replaced many times before and knew that he might need to move on to another razor. With a smirk he closed the medicine cabinet to see that he wasn't alone.

There was a dark figure just standing there that seemed to be just a neck shorter than him with emerald cat like eyes looking at him with a grin. with a sudden turn to see if this thing was behind him but was in vain. Tim now terrified looked back at the mirror to see his reflection. There still stood the dark figure with its grin gone to be replaced with a frown.

"What are you?" Tim said beginning to regret that question.

"Someone you will meet at another time," The figure whispered in a rasping tone, "I'm here to give a warning to you alone".

"A warning? Can't you tell me the warning in a few minutes when I have something to wear," Tim grunted.

"Now is not the time for such nonsense as to just stand there and listen human!" The figure hissed showing large fangs, startling Tim, "I will only say it once since I'm running out of time"

Without warning the ceiling light began to flicker and grow brighter by each flicker of the light, Tim shut his eyes to block the sudden light to see that the figure became closer to his image on the mirror in a frantic manner.

"Now hear my warning clearly" the figure said with now what looked like a hoof with what looked like holes going through them, the light began to overcome the figure, "Whatever happens to you will be your responsibility"

"Thats it? I have to take responsibility of what happens to me? " Tim asked confusingly. But when the figure opened his mouth to explain more the light became too bright and consumed the figure and with a flash of intense white light the room went dark and then the light was normal again.

After a few seconds of trying to adjust his eyes, he saw that everything looked that way it was. But now the light had a hint of green. Tim sighed as to know that everything has come back to normal. But the figure and the warning seemed to puzzle him. He turned around to see if it was still there, but to no avail as the apparition wasn't there. Strange as to now I'm seeing and hearing things. He thought trying to make due with situation that unfolded before him. He sighed picking up his razor and put it back in the cabinet. That will have to be done on another day.

With a twist of the knob, the bathroom door swung open and creaking softly, Tim came to his room holding his hair to straighten it little. Then he began to hold his head with one hand. "Great now a fucking headache. What else is new?" He grumbled opening the door to his room. Taking his hand off his head, he tugged on one of his dresser drawers and studied the contents inside, then grabbed a black shirt that had markings that were untranslatable and slipped it over his head. Closing the drawer he tugged other open to grab out a pair of his favored grey jeans and slipped them on and grabbing his favorite sneakers that were a special edition that is very rare where he lived. Yawning,Tim grabbed his comb and got out most of the tangles out of his elegant brown hair. With a nod Tim went down the hall towards the kitchen for a quick snag of toast his mother made.

"Morning Tim." His mother said in a happy tone. Tim stopped to stopped to see his mother with a gleeful smile

"Mom?" Tim said looking puzzled as she gave him a look like nothing happened,"You...okay?"

"Of course I'm okay." She handed him his bag, "what makes you think that?"

"Don't you remember Ryan? The deceitful bastard that took what we had left to keep me from going to do something great." Tim spat out his name as it were a bad taste in his mouth, "Not only that, he did not treat you fairly without any shame or guilt."

"Ryan?" looking away as if she didn't even know who he was, "I don't remember him so looks like I got over him."

Tim raised an eyebrow. It just seemed like it didn't fit with what she had went through. She had a rough time with her now ex boyfriend Ryan Smith, a smooth talking snake how Tim described him, stole the money that was supposed to go to Tim's college funds and spent it all on alcohol and drugs and to add insult to injury, he abused Tim's mom, taking her to a serious case of depression. When Tim found out his deeds...lets just say he wasn't coming around to harm her.

He looked at his watch and his eyes widened. "Shit I'm going to be late!" Tim shouted running for the door, "I'll have to see you later Mom".

"Have fun at school Timothy." She said waving at him smiling.

"Don't call me Timothy Mom" Tim remarked annoyed opening the door out to the world full of life and hectic as it will ever be.

As the door shut there was a silence in the house much like after Ryan left. The Smiling mother noticed Tim go out of sight she tore away the smile and took to frowning at her thoughts of what just happened. With a sigh of relief that no one grew suspicious about her except for that boy Tim who made her feel like her cover was about to be blown. the very thought of a human seeing her true form would be a catastrophe for her plan. She began to clean up the mess of food that she now knew of as "Breakfast" taking them to the trash can next to the cooking contraption she found out to be called a "stove". seeing the food she made out of the toaster was now thrown inside gave her much satisfaction. Seeing to the job being done she left the kitchen and headed back down the hallway looking at all the pictures of the past. There was one picture that caught her eye and she stopped. The picture had what looked like Tim when he was just a toddler and had a brown haired man with a wide smile on his face and sitting next to a young blonde haired lady holding him. Looking at the picture for a few minutes made her bring back a smile but quickly shook it off.

"Pitiful creatures they are." she said turning away from he picture, "But that doesn't stop me from what I have planned for the boy". Walking through the hallway she walked towards the door to the room she had slept in a couple of hours ago and stood in front of it. Knowing that no one was in the house other than her, she then did what she has always done to change from form to form. Starting from her feet, green flames began to climb up her legs, burning away the flesh and clothing of her disguise, leaving a charcoal coated hooves covered with holes that went through them. The mere sight of her appearance always made her chuckle, for it was her own form and she was more agile than any that tried to oppose her in the past. The emerald flames replaced the torso with a lengthy charcoal body with an obsidian colored chitin encasing her spinal region, showing battered insect wings that buzzed effortlessly now free from the wingless disguise. The emerald flames rose to incinerate the gentle and much fragile face of the disguise to show the face of her true form. when she opened her eyes knowing the process was done and the disguise gone,gave her the satisfaction she wanted.

Falling back to all fours like she always had in her world, her horn lit up and the door swung open enough for her to walk through lowering her head to keep her horn from hitting the rim of the door. she then stood in the middle of the dark room where she can be without her disguise and not be able to be found out. walking over to the bed, the Queen climbed up onto it to lie down and think.

"I will see to it that he will be one of us soon," The Queen said a loud to herself, "And I will be there to give him instructions of what his duty is as my subject. Right Miss Raymond?" her horn lit up to open up the closet door to see a hand fall limply with blood dried over it and a wide eyed woman lay there staring back without any sort of emotion.