• Published 18th Mar 2012
  • 2,222 Views, 46 Comments

You've Got Mail... - Kiue Jin

  • ...
1
 46
 2,222

First Entry

First Entry.


Dear...

To Whom it may Concern,

To be honest, I don't know why I am writing this letter. I doubt anyone will really read it but since it will only cost me a couple of minutes on this rainy day there really isn't anything to lose. The fact that it would make my Grandmother happy at least makes me feel a little less of a fool...

A few days ago, my grandmother's passed away. I was rather close to her and I will always treasure the time that I was able to share with her. But I will admit that a part of me is glad about the fact that she simply went to sleep one night after having one of her better days and simply slipped away during the night. She was sick for a very long time... I believe she fell ill back before I was born, so I missed out on getting to know her back when she was healthy. From the stories I've been told by my older sisters, I missed out on a truly wonderful thing...

Back when I was younger, my Grandmother would sometimes read some of her old letters to a 'pony pal' that she received or sent back when she was a young girl. She always claimed that the writer on the other side of the pen pal program she had been apart of had been a pony by the name of Granny Smith and that they sent letters to each other through a magical journal that she had found one day and hidden from her siblings.

Now a days I know that magic doesn't really exist beyond slight of hand tricks, but I did believe her at the time. Looking over some of the old 'letters' written in this journal has given me a rather pleasant picture of my departed Grandmother. She truly did go to great lengths to entertain her grandchildren. If she had become a children's author, I have no doubt in my mind she would have done well.

It's funny. Every year we would go up to spend the holidays with my Grandmother and our parents would tell all four of us (My three older sisters and myself) 'This might be the last year your Grandmother is with us, so try to make it the best you can'. This went on for so long we were all pretty sure that, at the rate things were going, she would easily outlive all of us. “If the world was to end tomorrow, all that would survive would be the cockroaches and Nanna Mac” we would always say. It's still something of a shock that she is finally gone...

During my last conversation with her, my Grandmother told me the location of the Journal that she had kept since she was a little girl. She told me that it was mine to do with as I wished, but she requested that after she passed away that I wrote one final letter to her old friend Granny Smith inside of the journal, informing her of the grim news.

Personally, I don't believe that anyone will read this. But if nothing else writing all this down has made me feel slightly better then I was before. It isn't really much, but since it was her final request from me I am honored to carry it out.

Ms G. Smith, I regret to inform you that Wheaton Mac is no longer with us. She passed away peacefully at the age of seventy eight. I know that she said you haven't written to each other in years, but she still fondly remembered you and wishes you the best.

I guess that is everything...

Thank you for you're time.
From Kiue Jin (Not my real name, but if there is any truth to what my Grandmother told me as a kid I would rather not put my name out there for just anyone I don't know to read.)

…..............................................................................................

Dear Kiue Jin,

I was quite surprised earlier today when one of the old books on my shelve began to glow and shake all by itself. To be honest, I'm surprised that I never took the time to read this particular book before and when I finally took heart enough to open the tome your letter was the first thing that I read.

Before I forget, my name is Twilight Sparkle. I am the librarian here in Ponyville.

I am sorry to hear about your Grandmother. You sounded very close and I honestly hope that your friends and family offer you the support that you need to get through this no doubt dark time for you all.

I don't know anypony by the name of 'Granny Smith', but I felt that you might have meant 'Granny Apple'. I took the book over to Sweet Apple Acres and showed it too her and she began to cry. After I was able to calm her down a little, she told me that she had been pen pals with Wheaton back when she was a filly, but one night someone broke into the farm and stole a number of items, the book included. Just how it found it's way into my library after all these years, I will never know.

She smiled when she read about how your Grandmother read their old letters to you at bedtime. She told me that 'Great minds think alike' because she did the same with her three grandchildren Big Mac, Applejack and Applebloom.

For what it is worth, she truly is sorry that she was unable to keep in touch with your Grandmother. She was deeply saddened by the news of her passing, but she was able to derive comfit in the knowledge that it happened as peacefully as possible.

While I am defiantly going to be researching just how this book works since it doesn't appear to be powered by any spell that I am currently aware of, if you feel the need to talk... well, write to anypony, feel free to write to me. I would love to hear more about you. I've never met a human before, but if what I am reading from the earlier entrees from your Grandmother and Granny Apple I assume that you are one. I hope you are not offended if that isn't the case.

Hope to hear again from you soon,

Twilight Sparkle.

AN: Good News everyone.

This story is accepting 'letters' from readers to their favorite characters. I will attempt to answer any letter that you create in a manner fitting the characters you write them too. Feel free to ask whatever questions you wish.

Before you all ask: The Grandmother mentioned is based heavily off of my own Grandma. While I changed her name and the fact that she pasted away a few years ago instead of a couple of days, this is how it played out. I have a feeling that she would have loved the idea that one of her grandchildren took the time to write something like this in her honor.

I look forwards to hearing from you all.

Goodnight everybody.