• Published 16th Jan 2014
  • 2,158 Views, 61 Comments

I'm coming home - Saph



Vinyl hears about Octavia's disaster of a performance at the Gala.

  • ...
5
 61
 2,158

Chapter 1

Raindrops fell from the open sky, even though the schedule had been for it to be clear. On this day it seemed like everything was determined to depress ponies across Canterlot; and it wasn’t failing. A white mare trekked down the empty rain sodden street, her electric blue mane thoroughly soaked and hanging by her side. Normally, most ponies would expect to see purple shades adorning her as well. Today however, she was feeling sentimental. Octavia always said I looked better without them.

Her name was Vinyl Scratch. A year and some ago, no one would even have suspected to see Vinyl like this. A year ago, she was upbeat, wild, and nothing could ever bring her down. Now however, things were different.

Vinyl had driven herself into a hole rather, a canyon of despair. While her DJ career remained steady and her popularity as well, Vinyl felt like she had already lost everything. She didn't remember how it had even escalated to that point or what it was about, all she knew was what happened in the end. Vinyl sighed into the rain, which had turned into a downpour. I wish Tavi was here with me.

Vinyl missed Octavia with all of her heart. When Vinyl had first met Octavia, really met her, and seen by the posh demeanor, she felt like there was something magical between them. It was an electrical spark that had seemed ever-present. In the week before they had broken up she felt that spark disappear, but had failed to act. Now, however, she wondered if that spark would ever come back.

Acting on a whim, Vinyl had somehow ended up in a bar to shelter her from the downpour, deciding she’d rather die of alcohol poisoning than hypothermia. The downtown bar was surprisingly full on a day like this; Vinyl figured it was the rain bringing depression driving ponies to drink. Chatter was at a constant murmur as Vinyl picked a seat at the bar. The bartender, a brown stallion, approached the DJ.

“What can I getcha’?” The bartender queried. Vinyl thought about it for a second,

“Vodka, Large Vodka.”

“Erm… are you sure about that ma’am?” The bartender now looked concerned.

“Did I stutter? Do your job please.” Vinyl spat.

The bartender glared at Vinyl and poured her drink.

~-~

Numerous drinks later, Vinyl stared into her once again empty glass. The rain had stopped its torrential downpour, and it was turning out to be a very clear night sky. Ponies that had been trapped inside the bar cycled out, but Vinyl remained nursing her empty glass.

Vinyl restrained herself and didn’t risk ordering another drink. Boredom soon crept over her, she was at a bar and didn’t want to drink. She looked around at the empty counter around her. The only thing of interest was a folded newspaper sitting on the counter to her right. She picked it up and read the headline, “Gala turns into a Foal’s Festival” Intrigued; she read onwards, her expression hardening.

Last night at the Gala, at a request from a childish pony, it was turned into a mockery. The quartet hired for the night agreed to play “The Pony Pokey.” At the request of the princess, the requester of the “pony pokey” shall remain anonymous. The guests at the Gala however, insist on it being the fault of the cello player, Octavia Philharmonica. Others assured us at Canterlot Daily, that the other quartet members were not responsible.

A cold feeling sank into Vinyl’s chest.

“How dare they!” Vinyl muttered. The realization that she was certainly not the only pony in Equestria feeling down brought her back to reality. She glanced around the bar. After the rain had stopped, there weren’t all that many ponies in the bar, and it was nearly late enough for the dinner rush. Besides herself, there were only two other groups of ponies in the store, the group closest to her caught her attention. The group contained three ponies seated at a circular table. The one closest to her, a blue mare with a brown mane, was laughing raucously, clearly drunk.

“Harpo! Did you even see the look on her face when I showed her it? PRICELESS!” The purple stallion to her right burst out laughing as well.

“No, No, the best part HAD to be her breakdown. ‘How could you do this to me?’” The purple stallion, apparently named Harpo, pulled back his ears attempting to imitate her reaction. “It’s not like completely throwing her under the wagon hurt her or anything...” Harpo finished while smirking.

“What do you think Frederick?” The blue mare asked.
'
The brown stallion leaned back and smiled wickedly, “Frankly Beauty, I’m having trouble picking between when we kicked her out of the quartet, and when we took back her cello she was borrowing from the organization.”

Harpo grinned, “Ah silly me, I thought she took that cello and bought a replacement for it. I must’ve been mistaken.”

Vinyl had heard enough. She practically leaped out of her chair as she shouted, “What do you guys think you have, that gives any of you a right to treat Octavia like that?!?” The remainder of the quartet fell silent.

Suddenly, Beauty cracked a smile, “Hey… I remember you. You were Octavia’s marefriend, weren’t you? Vinyl Scratch or somepony?” Vinyl shifted uncomfortably. “When I last checked you weren’t high on her fan-list either. The only reason any of us tried to comfort her is so she wouldn’t buck up our next concert. It looks like she did anyway. I suppose that's what she got for always trying to outshine the rest of us.”

“She didn’t try to outshine you and you know it. You ponies don’t even deserve to be on the same stage let alone the same room as her.” Venom dripped from Vinyl’s words as she got within a foot of the table where Beauty and the rest of the former quartet were still seated. “Now why don’t you stop slandering Tavi before this gets out of hand?” Vinyl said in almost a whisper.

Beauty cracked another smile, “Make me.”

~-~

The sound of Vinyl’s hoof connecting with Beauty’s face had rivaled the noise of a Sonic Rainboom. Less than a minute later, Vinyl was on the street outside of the bar and running down a side-street. Soon later, Vinyl was panting and out of breath. Whatever happened to her in the future was completely worth it and she would deal with it later.

Now however, there was only one thing on her mind; Octavia. She could only imagine what Octavia must be going through at the moment. She wasn’t even sure if Tavi would want her back. Still, there was only one course of action in Vinyl’s mind. Steeling herself for the deed, Vinyl turned down the streets that lead to Octavia’s house. Streetlights dotted the street casting for longing shadows across the road. Vinyl glanced up at the starry sky wistfully.

I’m coming home Tavi, for you.

Author's Note:

Pacing will inevitably be off, sorry about that.