• Published 14th Jan 2014
  • 2,481 Views, 200 Comments

Lanterns of Equestria- The Blackest Night - Moon Chaser



Writings for Moon Chaser's parts of the compellation story of The Blackest Night Equestria

  • ...
2
 200
 2,481

Orange Bloom

Lanterns of Equestria The Blackest Night- Orange Bloom

“This was the time when Applejack made her first moves as a leader which would demonstrate that within the farmer of humble origins was a Mare of War. When news of the Griffon Kingdom’s plight reached the Council of the Lantern Corps, it was Applejack who returned with a battle plan. She stated that she saw the Black Lanterns in Equestria operating like robber foxes stealing eggs from chicken coops hitting then running, but in the Griffon Kingdom they were acting like a wild prairie fire, and she purposed they treat them as such. The Corps agreed after an intense debate. Clarissi Applejack with Lady Sparkle told the Griffon Ambassador what they planned to do.”

“Thus Operation Fire Break; the first offensive of the Lanterns of Light went into motion”

-A history of the Blackest Night and the Lantern Corps by Raven Inkwell


The Griffon Kingdom, outside the city of Talos, six days after the launching of Operation Firebreak. 10:45 A.M.

[=WILL=]

THUP! THUP! THUP!

Green construct projectiles fell like a hail storm onto the flying black lantern griffins. Perforated corpuses fell back to the ground, crashing into the oncoming crowd of void ring wearers advancing at the city the Green Lantern was charged to protect. A wall of construct metal appeared in front of the Black Lanterns like a breakwater defying the ocean. A crashing sopping sound rose from the ground from the collision of decaying flesh and virtual metal. A beam of green energy struck the ground by the metal wall causing the bare ground to begin to glow. Ring glow followed the line of the barrier, the ground in front of the wall beneath the Black Lanterns paws. A crack of up thrust stone then appeared, following the green trail of energy.

“Where in the endless pit is the Indigo Herd,” Green Lantern Rufus snarled.

The large metal shield of green ring energy began to bulge in random places, strikes making Rufus’ construct ring like true metal. In his mind Rufus could ‘feel’ the barrier beginning to weaken. The Diamond Dog GL rose higher into the air and looked at the wave of Black Lanterns crashing against his barrier. Angled I beam braces anchored into the ground appeared at the spots most deformed by the assaulting black lanterns. Ring sense told him someone was coming from the city behind him.

“Lantern Rufus sir, I’m here to help!”

GL Rufus turned to see a small griffin male flying to him. The green aura and the uniform told him that it was Alex, the one the extra ring Applejack had given him before they left Equestria had chosen to bear it. Rufus felt he was a little young, but the ring chose the boy, and rather than object his parents were overjoyed that their son was chosen to be a lantern.

“Alex, you were to finish cremation and scattering then return to the city!” Rufus, his construct wall bolsters holding now used his ring to ‘pull’ the rock from under the ground up in front of the undead. At first the claws of the monsters broke the rock but Rufus continued to pull more stone up to thicken the new natural wall he was erecting and their strikes were beginning to lose effect.

“Go back!”

“I will not let my Lantern Mentor fight for my city alone!”

The young Green Lantern rose into the air, a phalanx of seven muskets appearing before him. The guns then erupted, green fire belching forth sending green construct musket balls whizzing at the Black Lanterns. A few of the undead had begun to try and fly before being knocked down by storm of rocks propelled by Rufus’ ring.

A stream of black objects flew by the two green lanterns, making a sound like locusts in flight on their way to destroy crops. Rufus surrounded his apprentice and himself in a bubble field as the black rings streaked by. The young griffin’s eyes bugged as he watched the black power rings heading to Talos.

“You finished right?”

The youngster nodded. “Yes Sir! By royal order all the graves in and around the city were exhumed and the bodies burned to ash by Red Lantern plasma. I scattered the ashes to the winds of the world myself. There are no dead in Talos, no bodies for the Black Lanterns to use.”

[=RAGE=]

“What are you dweebs doing having a tea party?” Red Lantern Gilda came to a stop outside the force bubble, blood plasma seeping from her mouth. “I thought I came home to fight undead with warriors helping me, not do it alone with an audience just watching me then again, what should I expect from the corps of the dodger.”

Rufus’ eyes narrowed as his lips and muzzle wrinkled up and his ears laid back.

RL Gilda shot higher into the air then turned back, streaking down. She roared and a stream of red plasma rained down the churning mob of Black Lanterns; the shower of destruction melted a score of undead while Gilda came down talons bared. Red ring energy crackled along the edges of the ready claws.

Rufus poured more power into the stone enclosure when his ring flared. The voice of Raindrops called to him as her image appeared floating before him.

“Rufus, where are you? I’ve got a yellow Lantern, a Star Sapphire and two Indigo Herd to help.”

“Sending you my location now,” GL Raindrops image nodded as she looked at a globe floating in front of her. “What are you doing here Alpha Lantern,” he asked as he continued to pull up stone. His young apprentice made more muskets having them fire in waves. Volley after volley poured into the Black Lanterns, hampering their ability to get beyond Rufus’ stone wall. “You must really want to win your 10 bits back!”

Raindrops’ image winced. “No. I’ve come to relieve you Rufus. You need to go back to the Citadel o Warden.”

“Warden? Me?”

“Yes. You’ve been promoted. You are now Warden of the Citadel and High Protector of the Battery.”

Rufus growled. “Watch dog you mean!”

Raindrops shock her head. The Alpha Lantern’s normally hard eyes softened for a moment. “Rufus, it’s not like that.”

“It’s exactly like that!” Rufus descended as spike studded shoulder guards appeared with matching torso protection and leg braces. Alex flew in a circle around his mentor; griffon armor flashed into existence over his body and then disappeared just as quickly.

“Concentrate Alex, Focus,” growled the Diamond Dog Green Lantern as a giant rock hammer appeared next to him.

“You are one of the best lanterns we have,” Raindrops continued. “Boom also wants you to help with training, and Applejack wants you to watch the battery and keep it safe.” A small smile came to the mare’s muzzle.

“I also think she wants you to keep an eye on Rainbow Dash since she has elected to stay and ‘guard home’.”

“We need every lantern we can spare right now!” A low rumble sounded from Rufus. “I should stay here and fight.”

The Alpha Lantern’s muzzle wrinkled up, making the mare look like she had tasted a sour fruit. “What’s your ring charge at,” she asked simply.

“20%.” The Diamond Dog’s ears flattened.

“You need to go home Rufus.”

The rock he had pulled up now towered over the Black Lanterns. By pulling the stone up, the ground underneath the undead had become fractured and weak. Slowly the crush of bodies began sinking into the earth, the Black Lanterns clawing and struggling to climb out. Alex now used more precise shot to pick off the enemy that succeeded in clearing the new formed pit.

“What are you waiting for watchdog,” RL Gilda spat. Red plasma fell onto the boiling mass of death that Rufus had contained. Rufus curled his lips back from his teeth in anger as his apprentice flew up to his side.

The giant hammer came down on the massed Black Lanterns as Rufus gave into a brief moment of anger. Alex’s neck feathers fluffed in surprise as he floated back.

“Watchdog,” he growled.

*

“It was when her sister was away that the Holder of the Orange Light finally revealed herself and in doing so the last strands of her restraint began to snap.”

- Report to the Regents about the War of the Blackest Night by A.K. Yearling.


Equestria, Ponyville Schoolhouse at that very moment.

“Lookit’ all of em with their cutie marks!” Apple Bloom stared into the eyes of herself. Orange fire played around the irises of the doppelganger floating in front of her. Apple Bloom had always talked to herself, but it was quite another thing to see yourself talk back to you.

“We should have those marks! None of em’ deserve ta’ have their marks…none of em’ appreciate it like we do,” her orange clad image said to her. “They may not have tried ta take our stuff…but you can bet they’re a thinkin’ about it!”

The filly scrunched her eyes tight and swallowed. The longing, the burning longing for cutie marks rose in her. It was like an itch that couldn’t be scratched or like the endless hunger she felt, nothing could satisfy the craving that half drove her mad. Opening her desk Apple Bloom pushed her muzzle deep into her desk and took a small bite of a stick of string cheese she had hidden inside. She withdrew her face chewing softly and patted the billowed sack underneath her desk.

“Miss Cheerilee, I’ve got a Question. Why does Apple Bloom get to keep that weird sack with her at her desk instead of hanging it up like the rest of us,” a cracking colt’s voice called out. “Why is she sitting in the back of the class?”

“See!” The levitating image of Apple Bloom said. “He’s sniffin’ around like a schemin’ thief!”

Apple Blooms tail curved around the draw string of the sack, coiling the bag tighter like a constrictor snake. The bag was quietly drawn up between the filly’s hind legs which she used to clamp the tight the sack and its contents. Half closed eyes slid right to glare at Snails.

“Apple Bloom has permission to keep it with her Snails,” the teacher answered as she pointed at the filly with her ring bearing leg. “As long as she does not disrupt class it can stay with her.”

“But…”

“As for where she’s sitting; this is a special circumstance and I’d worry more about your assignment than Apple Bloom's bag and seating if I were you Snails.” The colt dropped his face to stare at his desk blankly. Miss Cheerilee walked to the chalk board and pointed at the writing on the board which read ‘Math Quiz’. The class let out a collective moan.

“Now now, settle down everypony. After we finish the quiz, we’ll do show and tell,” the teacher said. She then opened a drawer of her desk and using her mouth pulled a neat pile of papers out and placed it on her desk top. “Scootaloo, Silver Spoon. Please come up and take the quizzes and pass them out to the class.”

The two children rose and came forward, each taking half of the quiz stack. Scootaloo suppressed sneering as she waited for Silver Spoon to take her half of the quizzes. The children then went down the lines of desks passing out the quizzes. Scootaloo came to Apple Bloom sitting in the most remote desk in the back of the class.

The paper fluttered down onto the earth filly’s desk, its curling edges seeming to point up at Apple Bloom accusing her of something. A gang of guilt shot through her heart as she thought about her family for a moment.

Scootaloo stomch suddenly growled as she began speaking to her friend, “Good to see you here Apple Bloom.” A reddish glistening film appeared at the ends of Scootaloo’s mouth. Her tongue ran over the fluid and she swallowed. The pegasus filly then pressed her ring bearing hoof into her belly.

“Sorry…hungry all of a sudden. That’s strange.” Apple Bloom stared at the red power ring, its light seem to shimmer in Apple Bloom’s eyes.

“So…pretty…” she said under her breath. “I’d like to have one.”

“Huh? What did you say Apple Bloom?”

The earth filly shook her head suddenly, closing her eyes tightly. “Sorry nuthin' Scoot, just lookin’ at yer ring. Um…Ah’ll see ya at lunch ok?”

“I’ll have to,” Scootaloo smiled. “I can’t see you sitting all the way back here. I guess Miss. Cheerilee wanted you away from Diamond and Silver.”

Apple Bloom smiled as she placed her lips on her pencil. “Yeah Scoot…sure.”

A loud clippy-clop sound of their teacher’s hooves called attention to the front of the class. “Alright everypony sit down, test starts now: no talking please.”

Apple Bloom stared at the problems on the paper, ten in all. As she read the fest one a quiet chuckle came from her mouth. She read each quickly and found that she could complete the problem as she read it, her mind racing and calculating faster than it ever had before. The answers seem to appear in front of her eyes written in glowing orange characters and graphs. She wrote down each answer before she moved on to the next problem, her pencil moving light lightning. Within a minute she had completed the test, her pencil falling to the desk top with an audible clacking sound. A few of the students look over at her for a heartbeat or two before returning to their work. Apple Bloom rose onto her hind legs and waved a fore leg above her head.

“Done Miss Cheerilee!”

Gasps and murmurs rolled out of the class’s mouths as the teacher turned to look at Apple Bloom. One of Cheerilee’s eyebrows cranked up, as one side of her mouth opened.

“Apple Bloom, you’re done?” the rising tone of her teacher’s voice told the earth filly that the teacher did not believe her.

“Yes mam, I’ll bring you mah paper…”

“No. You stay there Apple Bloom. I’ll come see it.”

Cheerilee rose, the answer sheet folded closed in her mouth and walked to the farthest desk in her classroom. Apple Bloom’s test was filled out, all work shown. She unfolded the solution key sheet and checked the answers, finding all correct, even the ones dealing with geometry which Apple Bloom had in the past had problems with. As she rechecked the answers her mouth watered and she felt suddenly very thirsty for a hay shake from Sugar Cube Corner.

“Apple Bloom…you…” The filly stared at the glowing band on her leg, her head slowly rolling to one side. Her eyes widened as she stared at the Star Sapphire power ring, a growing almost leering smile spreading across her face. A hoof reached out at the violet lighted jewelry. The child blinked several times then looked up at her teacher.

“Can Ah go to the bathroom Miss Cheerilee?”

Cheerilee returned her gaze at the correctly answered quiz and nodded her eyes wide in surprise. More murmurs from children filled the teacher’s ears.

“Um…I don’t see why not. Just be ready for show and tell later.”

“Yes mam,” the filly answered as she bounded from the desk, the precious bag gripped by her tail.

The teacher shook her head as she looked at the test a third time, trying to understand what had happened. Had she cheated and if so how? The test had been made this morning before the children had even come to school? She had heard from Mrs. Smith and Sweetie Belle that Apple Bloom was figuratively devouring books at home, doing school work above her class level…

Why?

When Applebloom returned she saw Diamond Tiara at the front of the class. She had a box covered in beautiful designs of many colors that looked like swirls and clouds fresh out of Cloudsdale. Using her muzzle, the Indigo Herd filly opened the intricate box, and lifted it so the side she had opened faced the class. Within the box was a doll. The porcelain it was made of gave it a lustrous almost glowing white color, like Princess Celestia’s coat. The mane and tail sparkled; looking like it was made of spun copper and gold, braded together to end in a pony tail with a bejeweled end. The class uttered a collective ‘oo’ as Diamond Tiara began to describe the doll…

…becoming for a moment again the center of attention.

Alone at the neither-most desk of the class Apple Bloom stared at the doll. A longing, a need to run up and sieze the doll and pull it close to herself began to fill her heart. She wet her lips with her tongue and swallowed hard.

“That doll, ” her other self hissed. “Everything that’s wrong is summed up in that doll! We should have it!”

The child’s eyes narrowed and she turned over what she heart was saying to her. A smirk spread over her muzzle and she looked at her other self.

“Compassion…she’s forced ta’ feel compassion. Ah know how ta get what we want."

*

Equestria, Citadel of the Green Lantern Corps at that moment.

“SQUEAKER!”

‘Only be one pony in the world could get away with calling me that.’

“Flappy! Just the pony I’m here to see!”

Spitfire trotted up to the landing batpony, the green aura disappearing as he touched the ground. Spitfire’s wings opened and clasped around her old instructor. She placed her head on his neck closed her eyes.

“It’s good to see you in a uniform again.”

“It’s good to be in uniform and teaching again,” he pulled back; sharp teeth gleamed in the sunlight. His smile became a scowl in an eye blink and he began yelling at an earth pony floating in the air in a green aura. Boomerang Blitz let Spitfire go and moved forward, passing the Wonderbolt while he pointed with his ring at the trainee lantern.

“You! You call that a defense construct?” The earth pony shrugged.

“Here cupcake: CATCH!”

A flight of cannon balls burst from the instructor’s ring, streaking up at the trainee lantern straight and true. A barrier of wood appeared, forming in front of the trainee lantern. The first projectile impacted and bounced off the construct. As more balls stuck the wood shattered and struck the lantern. The construct disappeared into green mist and the student fell to the ground, a giant circus net appearing underneath him at the last moment, keeping the pony from hitting the ground. GL Boomerang Blitz then was hovering over the trainee his net had caught, his eyes burned with fire.

“I caught you. The Black Lanterns: they’ll KILL YOU!” The earth pony’s ears laid flat as he nodded. The bat pony pointed at the outer circle of the green lantern’s base.

“Do 5 slow laps of the Citadel wall then go play with Big Red.”

“Yes instructor.” The pony said. He leaped into the air and started flying to the high stone wall of the Citadel. Boomerang sighed, looking at the trainee he just chewed out. He turned away and looked at Spitfire.

“Same old Flappy.”

“Eh-I gotta be rough Squeaker: Black Lantern’s play for keeps, and we need an army yesterday!”

The pegasus nodded. “I know.”

“Anyway, to what do I owe the honor of a visit by the Commander of the Wonderbolts?”

“Not anymore.” She said looking over the top of her sunglasses. “I’m all yours.”

“What?”

“Don’t worry teacher, I’ve got a permission slip for the field trip.”

She reached into a pocket with her lips pulling out an envelope with a broken wax seal. Using ring power Boomerang Blitz levitated the letter in front of him. When he got to the signature and seal of the Grand Marshal He looked at the grinning ‘former’ Wonderbolt.

“Who’s in charge of the Bolts then?”

“Soarin’s taken my place. When I’m done with this business, I’ll get my commission back.”

“You left Pie Face in charge? Squeaker…”

“He’s grown a lot since you taught us Flappy, give him a break.”

“Fair enough, RECRUIT!” The bat pony looked over the paper one more time before giving it back to Spitfire. “OK then, since I know a ring found you OK, let’s get you fixed up.” He floated up into the air, gesturing with his ring hoof that she follow. Spitfire‘s wings flapped and she was air born, flying with her old and new instructor.

"We'll start with the two bit tour."

*

Equestria, Ponyville School house, the middle of lunch period.

From the lunch benches Apple Bloom sat staring at the doll from Prance. From across the play ground the curves of the limbs, the beautiful mane braided with ribbons of many colors, Diamond Tiara’s toy filled Apple Bloom with envy and longing. Such a fine toy so beautiful to just look at must have cost a great deal of money…money the Rich family had cheated out of her family…


…even if they were unwilling to see it themselves.


All the time Diamond Tiara had been bulling Apple Bloom, flaunting her wealth the truth of where that money had come from escaped notice…until that day at school: family appreciation day. That was the day she got a peak at the truth, the day she learned that the high and mighty Rich family’s prosperity was built on the backs of her family. It was the beginning of seeing the hard truth; one that even her wise sister and brother refused to see…that they were being taken advantage of. The real epiphany came the night the orange ring came to her when she learned that life was taking what she loved from her, from what she loved…


'That’s over, Ah’m done with that.'


Now she took what she wanted, the world would be hers…and if her family could not see the truth of it, not demand what was rightfully theirs…she would take it all for herself!


Apple Bloom clutched at the bag again as she gazed at Diamond Tiara’s eyes but the sparkling light of the indigo ring caught her attention. The almost purple light of the Ring of Compassion was beautiful, beguiling, captivating. It paled compared to her glorious copper colored ring, but in a…collection the indigo ring would be quite lovely.


Another wave of jealousy flooded through Apple Bloom as she looked at Indigo Herd Diamond Tiara. Her teeth ground together as another truth became evident to her. Diamond wore her ring out in the open, for all to see; the glowing power ring displaying itself, flaunting itself, mocking Apple Bloom and her orange ring. Silently she fumed as she rose onto her hooves. Having an indigo ring would be nice, but first things first: she wanted that doll.


Apple Bloom made her way across the play yard, moving to stand in front of the other children that had gathered around. The sack and its contents followed her in the grip of her tail. When she came close to the other children several of them moved back giving her moving space as if making room for a fight of some kind. Silver Spoon and Sweetie Belle alone did not move away. Scootaloo, resting in one of the tree branches across for her friends watched how her friend was going to deal with the now forcedly contrite Diamond Tiara.


Silver Spoon swallowed hard, unsure of what the Apple filly would do. She tried to think of how to start a dialog with the last of her and Diamond’s favorite targets. What to say to try and make a kind of peace? She couldn’t think of anything and began to shiver when her belly burbled. Pangs of hunger suddenly pricked her and she had a sudden urge to reach into the sack Apple Bloom carried around. The Apple child turned her head suddenly, orange light seemed to flash from her eyes for a moment. The edges of the sack’s owner mouth opened revealing bright teeth. Silver Spoon steeped back.


“Hey..um Apple Bloom, how did you get so good at math all of a sudden?” orange eyes flashed with a strange light as Apple Bloom turned to face the grey filly.


“Ah worked hard Silver Spoon; somethin’ you wouldn’t know anythin’ about!” She turned away from Silver Spoon and gave her full attention to the sitting IH Diamond Tiara, who had suddenly begun to fidget with her power ring. Her eyes now glowed with an indigo light as her mouth curled up at one end in a visage of puzzlement.


“Apple Bloom there’s something…different about you,” a half smile crossed over Diamond Tiara’s lips.


“Yes there is, and there’s something different about you too. Ah hear you actually feel regret for what ya did ta Sweetie, Scoots an’ me.”

‘Yes I do…I do feel it and I hate it! I hate knowing and feeling how wrong I was. I hate feeling…guilty.’

“Yes, I do. I feel regret for all my bad actions, all my sins.” She said as she closed her eyes and dropped her head. “I am very sorry for what I and Silver Spoon did to you.” Sweetie Bell nodded her head as she looked at Apple Bloom who had suddenly had a wry smile on her face.

“Really? Then you’d be willin’ ta do somethin’ right…ya know ta really show how sorry ya are, somethin’ ta show Everypony her how much you’ve really changed, somethin’…generous.”

The children around them began to murmur.

The solemn Diamond Tiara looked at Apple Bloom. Her eyes closed as her head dropped. A hoof tapped on the Indigo ring, the rhythm gave the impression of a clock making off the moments. Her eyes popped open as the tapping stopped.

“What would you like me to do Apple Bloom? What do you want me to do for you to say I am sorry?”

“Well,” the Apple child’s eyes narrowed. “Since ya mentioned it, how about givin’ me that doll there?”

“My doll? My doll from Prance?” The Indigo filly turned and clasped the box containing the precious toy.

“Eeyup!” Apple Bloom pointed at the box. “Ya know…as a token for yer contrition ya might say. You were plum awful ta me ya know and ya did ask what ya could do to try an’ make amends.” Diamond nodded, her lips quivered a bit.

The gathered children looked on eyes wide, murmuring. Sweetie Bell looked at Apple Bloom one eye open larger than the other in an expression of puzzlement. Scootaloo looked on, her smirk unseen from the crowd. Miss Cheerilee and Sweetie Bell had made her promise to keep the peace with Diamond Tiara, but she took some satisfaction seeing her friend demanding something in payment for all the pain the little Indigo Herd member had put them through. Her joy evaporated when she saw a figure moving towards the crowd.

Taking a deep breath IH Diamond Tiara raised the box up in front of her while lowering her head. “If this is what you want Apple Bloom; take the doll my grandmother gave me. I am sorry I brought you such pain.”

A broad toothy smile flashed from Apple Bloom as she leaned forward. She reached out with a left hoof to take the doll, a jolt ran along her spine. The smile became bigger and broader as the box with the toy came closer and closer...

…and became a scowl when the box suddenly became surrounded in a bubble of violet energy.

“Apple Bloom, I am VERY disappointed in you!”

Ms. Cheerilee, ring glowing on her fore leg walked into the circle of children who parted like tall grass before a strong wind. The Star Sapphire turned and sat next to Diamond Tiara and raised her non ring bearing up.

“Children please return to the class room. Apple Bloom you and Diamond Tiara stay please. I want to talk to both of you young lady.”

The children turned away and began to trickle back into the school house. A couple of them looked behind them at their teacher standing next to Diamond. Scootaloo jumped from the tree branch and flew around the school house, out of sight of her teacher and waited behind the far corner of the front of the school house. Sweetie Bell who was the last of the children in line was about to enter the building behind Silver Spoon when a red blur knocked her off her hooves. She tumbled nose over tail as the red blur moved her around the corner of the building. When she landed on the ground, Scootaloo was standing over her, a hint of blood plasma seeped from her lips.

“Scootaloo,” Sweetie said as she got up onto her hooves. “What are you doing?”

“We need to see this,” she moved to the wall edge and slowly poked her head around the corner. She turned back to see Sweetie frowning.

“We?”

“OK…’I’ want to see what happens, so sue me! Come on Sweetie, are you telling me you don’t want to know how this goes down?”

The unicorn’s frown disappeared and her eyes softened. “No. But…”

“But nothing.” The red lantern pointed at a bush that was closer the where Miss. Cheerilee and the two children stood. “Come on let’s get closer if we can.”

Slowly Scootaloo and Sweetie Bell creped to the bush their ears turned in the direction of their teacher. Step by step they got closer the bush while listening to the conversation between the teacher and the antagonists.

“That’s my doll!” Apple Bloom stomped a rear hoof on the ground with force that made the Star Sapphire jump. SS Cheerilee looked at the filly sideways.

“Apple Bloom; I have tolerated your eccentric behavior because I believed it would help you heal from the awful things you’ve experienced. I even allowed you to keep that sack with you at all times even at your desk.” The child pilled the bag closer to herself. “I have let you have great leeway hoping that you would get better and hoping that you and Diamond Tiara would make peace now that she feels regret.”

“Cause of that Indigo Ring!” the child snapped. The teacher sighed.

“Yes, because of the ring she feels regret and want to make amends…but that does not give you the right to seek revenge.” The teacher said shaking her head.

“It’s mine!” Apple Bloom grumbled. “She gave it to me!”

“Apple Bloom, you bulled her into it.”

“It’s MINE!” she growled. “Give it to me!

Cheerilee leaned back, her eyes wide in surprise. Apple Bloom had never been so demanding and selfish before. The tone and the posture the child was now taking was quite shocking, and for some reason she was suddenly feeling very famished. Diamond Tiara sat next to her a questioning face pointed at Apple Bloom.

“Young lady! I need to have a word with your grandmother…”

“Give me the doll!” she was trembling now, her teeth clinched together making a faint grinding sound.

“I know you are feeling anger Apple Bloom but…” A flash of light ran across Diamond Tiara’s face.

“That’s it,” the compassion user said as she looked up at her teacher and put a hoof on her shoulder. The mare turned and looked down at the Indigo Herd filly.

“Miss Cheerilee, she’s not feeling anger...she’s feeling greed…intense greed… “ IH Diamond Tiara looked at Apple Bloom and raised the lighted band of Indigo and pointed it at the Apple child. “ it’s like she has a ring,” orange fire appeared in front of Diamond’s forehead forming itself into what could only be a lantern corps symbol, but one the Star Sapphire had never seen.

[=AVARICE=] the indigo ring burbled.

Cheerilee’s eyes became a big as saucers when what sounded like the growl of an Everfree animal came from Apple Bloom’s mouth.

Orange light, like that of a power ring shined out from Apple Bloom’s eyes. Her nose wrinkled up by bared teeth in anger, a ring aura of orange appeared around her. A copper band blazing with orange light appeared on Apple Bloom’s hoof. The bag she kept in her grip was enveloped in flames, the sack material turning to ash and falling to the ground like snow from a winter storm revealing its contents…

…a lantern power battery of a coppery orange shining with a brilliant orange light.

“That was MY secret ta tell Diamond Tiara; MINE! YOU STOLE MAH SECRET FROM ME!

A lantern uniform of orange and black had appeared over her body, the symbol Diamond Tiara had called forth to appear when she reached out to ‘touch’ the power of Apple Bloom’s ring was on her chest and shoulders. She rose into the air, the lantern clasped tightly in her fore legs. SS Cheerilee called forth her own uniform and aura and placed herself between Diamond Tiara and Apple Bloom

“Apple Bloom, you have a power ring? When did you get that ring?”

“Yeah Miss Cheerilee Ah have a ring; the most glorious, amazin’ and beautiful ring of EM’ ALL! It came ta me the same night Pinkie got hers! Now…”

What appeared to be cutie marks suddenly appeared on Apple Bloom's face then vanished as orange balls of fire burst out from the ring of Avarice, stretching out to become the shape of a unicorn mare and a pegasus stallion. The figures were made of orange ring energy and appeared to be clad as Apple Bloom was, with the same symbol the Diamond Tiara had just called forth. They landed on the ground in front of their summoner standing still as statues.

“…Ah’ll be takin’ mah doll mam,” the orange lantern filly said with a smile.

*

The Griffon Kingdom, Fortress High Crag outside Gryphus capital of the Griffon nation.

“IntErlOpEr!” an undead griffon screamed as it charged.

[=WILL=]

A green lasso appeared around the neck of the monster and became taunt suddenly. The black lantern jerked up and backwards, held fast at the neck. Green Lantern Applejack flying at the zombie turned in mid air and crashed into it with legs covered in glowing armored constructs. The smashed body almost immediately began to reform. A cracked and chipped beak snapped at Applejack.

The green lantern flew up and then came down on top of the dead griffon, driving it into the earth then rebounded backwards back towards the fortress wall. Behind her a hippogriff wearing the violet garb of a Star Sapphire approached, skimming over the ground to land next to the earth pony.

[=LOVE=]

“We need to go back. There is word of Black Lanterns appearing in the city.”

“Consarnit! Ah thought everythin’ was taken care of in there!”

“Apparently not. Some families held out hoping that nothing would happen to their buried.” The ends of the half pony’s beak turned up. “Also the Grand Duke just asked to talk to you.”

Applejack’s ring burst forth a beam of green light into the black lantern’s power ring. The Star Sapphire followed suit, a violet beam energy shot from his ring and into the black lantern’s. The zombie began to twitch and jerk on the ground. The black ring ring began to crack as its colors began to change.

“Come on’ come on’, ” Applejack growled.

Heartbeats passed before the ring shattered and disintegrated, exploding into dust.

[=Connection severed=] the failing ring croaked.

“Dag nabbit! It’s seems to be getting’ harder an' harder ta pop black rings. We need an Indigo with us.” Applejack landed and scanned with her eyes for any other Black Lanterns. The green lantern called up a pair of field glasses, letting the construct float in front of her eyes. Peering through the created binoculars as she swept the approaches to the fortress and seeing nothing dissolved the ring creation. Her mouth opened to speak when her ring flashed and an image of Macintosh appeared floating in front of her.

“How ya doin’ AJ?” the big stallion asked.

“Ah ain’t gonna lie Mac, Ah’m a bit tuckered.” She rose into the air, circling around to fly in the direction of the fortress of the Duke of High Crag. “How are things at home? How’re you?”

“Ah’m fair AJ. Getting’ ready ta head into the field after wrapin’ things up here at home. We’re growin’ quite a bit now, got a few more recruits for Boom ta knock around.” The stallion’s check heaved with the chuckles me made. “He’s really in his element now…workin’ overtime out at the Citadel.”

Apple Jack shook her head. “That’s nice an’ all Mac but what ah want to know is: how’s Granny and Apple Bloom doin’?”

Mac rubbed the back of his head, his eyes looked sideways away from his sister. “Apple Bloom went back ta school today. “

“Did she take that sack?”

“Eeyup!” Mac answered. Applejack made a face that looked like she swallowed a basket of limes.

“We’ve got company!” The hippogriff pointed his ring bearing talon at five dark spots growing larger by the heartbeat. Applejack let the image of her brother fade and rolled over on her back.

“Ever play crack the whip Silver Quill?”

“Can’t say that I have.”

“Do whut Ah do. Follow mah lead!”

The Star Sapphire nodded. Applejack began to climb upwards while calling a wall construct ahead of the incoming fliers which she saw were Griffon Black Lanterns. The undead smashed into the green wall, shattering it into sparks. Applejack put the failed construct from her mind; it had served its purpose. She had curved up and over the Black Lanterns to come down on top of them. Two lassos flowed out of her ring as she passed through them, catching two by their limbs. She caught a glimpse of the Star Sapphire following her example, two more Black Lanterns tethered by violet ring energy.

Applejack increased her dive towards the ground, pulling the construct rope taunt. Applejack started to count off in her head, keeping the constructs strong as she streaked down from the sky like a falling star. When she reached the right moment, she suddenly pulled up in a half loop, reversing her flight climbing away. She let go of her construct, the Black Lanterns cast even faster to the ground like a rock thrown from a sling. The undead struck the ground, a huge dust cloud exploded over where they had hit the ground. Two more landed on the same spot, SS Silver Quill copying GL Applejack’s move exactly.

“Still got one more ta deal with,” the earth mare growled.

“GOOd, bUt nOt gOOd EnOUgh!” the last Black Lantern mocked. The rotting griffon streaked down at the two ring wielders, a chilling scream announcing its attack.

[=FEAR=]

A beam of yellow light sliced into the monster, cutting the creature in twain. The two hovering figures looked up to see a pointy hat wearing unicorn smirking at them.

“Doesn’t the Great and Terrifying Trixie know how to make an impressive entrance?”

“Did you bring an Indigo Herd with you,” the Star Sapphire asked.

Yellow Lantern Trixie’s head snapped back her mouth half opened and her eyes narrowed. “No, Trixie didn’t”

“Then it’s not an impressive entrance.” the hippogriff said.

Applejack covered her muzzle with a hoof, her body shuttered as she did her best to hide her humor.

‘Laughing at allies in battle just ain’t proper, no matter how much you want to.’

*

Equestria, Ponyville, Ponyville Elementery School at that moment.

SS Cheerilee brought up a shield, separating herself and Diamond Tiara from Apple Bloom and her strange constructs. The glowing orange figures stood by her unmoving, their faced looked strangely alive, almost real. The teacher looked at her ring, wondering if this confrontation was about to turn into a fight.

“Ring Capacity,” she inquired from the ring.

[=Ring Capacity 96.7%=] her violet power ring answered. She breathed out in relief. ‘Nearly a full charge.’

“Awe….that’s cute,” Apple Bloom purred. She held her orange power ring out in front of herself, as if she was trying to give her teacher a better look at it. “Ring…Charge?”

[=Ring Capacity 10,000%=] the orange ring hissed.

Cheerilee’s eyes opened wide as saucers.

Apple Bloom smiled as she held up the ring. “Nifty huh? Ah told ya, this ring is the most amazin’ one of em’ all!”

“Apple Bloom STOP!”

The filly spun slowly as two figures came out from behind a bush. Sweetie Belle walked slowly away from her hiding spot to stop half way between her friend and the shrub. Scootaloo glided silently over and placed herself between the orange lantern and the star sapphire. She raised her glowing red power ring while showing the bottom off her front hooves pleading for the earth filly to halt.

“Apple Bloom this isn’t you,” the red lantern started. OL Apple Bloom frowned.

“Sure it is Ah just decided to not ta let mah’self get taken anymore is all.”

“You are not like this Apple Bloom…I KNOW you’re not!” Sweetie Belle took a few steps closer. Tears had appeared in her eyes as she looked at her friend. “You can fight it like Scootaloo fights the rage! I know you can!” The orange lantern’s gaze slid away from the unicorn to hovering red lantern in front of her.

“That reminds me Scootaloo; of all of us Ah thought you would be the one ta take revenge on Diamond Tiara fer us but ya didn’t! Why? Ain’t that what red lanterns are all about?”

RL Scootaloo looked over her shoulder and wing at the shielded Cheerilee and Diamond Tiara. She lowered her head and turned back to look at Apple Bloom, locking eyes with her.

“I promised to let it go.”

“Really?” the orange lantern chuckled. “Well then what did ya get for it?”

“Excuse me?” Scootaloo’s brow became creased in confusion.

“What did you get for not takin’ yer revenge?”

“Get? I didn’t get anything. I…”

“FEAH!” Apple Bloom growled. “Ta give up mah revenge ya would have had ta pay me hansom!” She pointed at the teacher and the earth filly in the shield. “OK guys-bring me mah property!”

The two construct figures began to move forward. The pegasus lifting into the air and the unicorn walking forward. Scootaloo floated backwards, her eyes darted back and forth looking at the constructs.

‘What to do, what to do?’

Scootaloo flew forward, ears flat as she floated in front of Apple Bloom.

“Please call them back Apple Bloom. Please. Don’t hurt anypony just for a doll.”

“Scootaloo, Ah take what’s mine! Ah ask first, always try an’ be polite an’ all but if they keep from me what’s mine…well Ah ain’t toleratin’ it anymore!”

The Red lantern turned around, the thumping sound in her ears telling her rage was rising. Apple Bloom would not listen, and even though she felt that her friend was justified in her own attempt to get some form of payback, loyalty to her teacher also gave her pains. Blood plasma dripped from her moth as she held her head in her hooves.

“Here,” IH Diamond Tiara’s flat, even voice took some of the tension out of the atmosphere. “Please take it.” Diamond said. She looked up at her teacher and shook her head.

The doll box tumbled end over end as it flew over the violet shield at Apple Bloom. Eyes wide and smile growing over her muzzle the filly reached out and caught the toy, pulling it close to herself for a moment. Like a cat she purred. She opened the box with ring power, the lid gently lifted off the box and the doll levitated before the orange lantern. Apple Bloom stared at it for a moment before returning the object to its container. A construct bag appeared and the newly acquired treasure was tucked inside.

“It’s a start Diamond…it’s a start.”

Cheerilee had called out to Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle while Apple Bloom’s attention was focused on the toy. She maintained her shield as the children moved slowly twords their teacher when their friend looked up. Apple Bloom suddenly grimaced and held her tummy with her front hooves. Her tongue ran over her lips as her eyes scrunched closed. When she opened them she looked at her friends and floated down to them. Cheerilee called up an image of another Star Sapphire from her ring and began whispering to it while watching the children. Things were calmer, but what to do?

“Ya know…Ah’m famished! Ah ain’t even had a decent lunch yet.” The two orange figures trotted around and stood next to their mistress, silently guarding the Avarice wielder.

“But I saw you eat four dandelion sandwiches…” the earth filly shock her head then growled.

“It didn’t stick Scootaloo, it didn’t satisfy at all!”

Sitting on her rump she spread her fore legs wide. “None ah’ the food in this town satisfies, and ah’ve had about all of the kinds of food there is here in Ponyville. Country grub just ain’t doin’ it for me anymore. Ah’m sick of it! Ah need ta eat somethin’ new, somethin’ different…” She brought her hooves down and looked back and forth at her friends. A wicked smile spread across her face.

“Apple Bloom, we need to talk about that ring.” Cheerilee allowed the shield to drop. An image of Queen Fluttershy hovered in front of the Star Sapphire, a shocked look on the pegasus’ face.

“Naw, what Ah need ta do is get somethin’ decent ta eat with friends who’re MINE…” she glared at Diamond Tiara” …an’ NOT YOURS!

The copper ring flared and orange light poured out flooding around the children. The two construct

Figures moved together, placing themselves in front of the ball of orange light. Slowly the construct became more defined, the hard light becoming an enclosed sky coach. Yokes of orange energy attached themselves to the figures and the assembly lifted off into the air. In the coach’s rear window faced Cheerilee who lifted off the ground. Apple Bloom’s smiling face was in the center of the window, the orange lantern waving at her teacher with the hoof that the ring rode on.

“ROAD TRIP!” she yelled.

Cheerilee began to follow, but as she closed another orange figure appeared between the departing coach and herself. It looked like a young dragon, older and bigger then spike but still small compared to a full sized adult. A single digit of its claw was held up and wagged back and forth while the head shook from side to side. Cheerilee hovered in place, watching the orange creation growing smaller as it flew away.

Diamond Tiara appeared next to her teacher floating on ring power. The filly’s face showed no emotion now, the ‘mask’ of the Indigo Herd returning. Star Sapphire Cheerilee continued to stare out in the distance.

“Gone,” the teacher sighed. “Heading east…”

“Miss Cheerilee, what are you going to do?”

The mare looked at the filly when a thought occurred to her. “I need to dismiss class and get the word out. Diamond Tiara, can you contact other rings?”

“No,” the Indigo Filly shook her head. “I haven’t learned how to do that.”

“Then you need to tell Sweetie’s big sister so she can get the word out. I’ll tell Big Mac….where is he?”

“I heard from Apple Bloom that he was out at the new place the Green Lantern’s built.”

Cheerilee spun in place and started flying back to the school house. “I’ll head out to The Citadel after I take care of the children. “

*

Equestria, Citadel of the Green Lantern Corps just afterwards.

The home of the Green Lanterns was impressive, Spitfire had to admit that. The old bat said it was built in weeks using nothing but one ring-a work that would take an army of ponies years to do was done in weeks part time. Frightening!

It was in essence a rock circle with an obelisk in the middle, but built on a massive scale. The obelisk was huge stone tower that had the symbol of the green lantern corps carved into each of its four sides with a huge green crystal at the top of the edifice shining with a green light. The outer circle was like a small mountain range that curved around onto itself, looking from above like a crater on the moon. Four roads of polished stone ran from the center out to the outer wall, quartering the circle. Each of the quarters was filled with a different kind of environment, one of grass land, one quarter was filled with trees, the third quarter was filled water, like a lake and the forth was sand, like a desert. The quadrants were surrounded with a stone wall which contained the quadrant's contents. A road of stone ran at the foot of the mountain like outer fence of stone, giving all the roads an appearance of a wheel with four spokes from the sky. Flashes of different colored light here and there told Spitfire more than green lanterns were at practice on the grounds. Boomerang Blitz waved at Spitfire and pointed down at four figures on the ground.

“Watch the one in the center Squeaker.”

The pegasus hovered and stared down to see a straight maned earth pony in a green lantern uniform surrounded by a red clad unicorn a griffon and a chimera in yellow. For moments there was stillness then the chimera attacked, yellow barbed vines lashed at the green lantern, who dodged sideway as she summoned a scythe which cut the yellow constructs. The earth pony then summoned a hoof knife and slashed at the monster, who roared as the knife bit. All three heads hissed as the creature pulled away.

The griffon had lifted into the air, launching a yellow hook and chain at the green lantern. The pony was wrapped by the chain and the griffon started to pull. Huge green spikes appeared and drove themselves into the earth through the links of the chain. The griffon paused in surprise when a flying net with weights at each of the corners flew up and wrapped around the griffon. The sound of the yellow lantern hitting the ground was drowned out by the clang of swords as the red lantern unicorn swung flaming scimitars at the green lantern, who had summoned construct long and short swords to parry the red weapons.

The two lanterns locked their weapons for a minute and then separated. The red lantern spit with plasma, then rushed in, hoping to catch the green lantern off balance. A hoplon shield of green absorbed the plasma attack and a construct halberd blocked the red lantern from getting closer. Back and forth the two fought, each pushing and attack in turn and the other falling back, only to counter attack. Boom summoned a whistle and blew, the loud shriek made the combatants stop. Weapons vanished into sparks.

“Good for now. Everybody recharge and meet up later.” The two lanterns separated and flew away in different directions.

“Wow!” Spitfire exclaimed.

“Yep, like watching a beautiful dance.”

“Who are those two?”

The instructor pointed at the red lantern. “That’s Arcana. She one of the best technical fighters I’ve seen and one of the Red’s best. She’s here to work on her control and try to keep herself from giving into rage in a fight…among other issues.”

Spitfire raised an eyebrow at the last part of his statement. “And the earth pony?”

“Sandy Shade of Canterlot,” he returned to his flight path to the obelisk. “She’s new. Shining Armor recruited her.”

“Why is that name familiar?”

“Because she runs the E.U.P. weapons museum in Canterlot,” Boom said flatly. “That’s why she’s so effective with her constructs. You should see the siege weapons she makes.”

Spitfire’s eyes widened at the thought of a huge artillery engine made of the strange energy of lantern ring energy. The ability to make such a thing with that power made the military mare in the pegasus giddy over the possibility.

The two landed at a door that faced the road in the base of the obelisk. Metal doors with the symbol of the Green Lantern Corps embossed on their surfaces opened by ring power and Boomerang Blitz gestured with a hoof to the inside. Spitfire walked in, her hooves making a clopping sound with every step, the sound echoed off the high vaulted roof arching into the darkness that was only broken up by green light from the lantern mounted on a pedestal in the center of the chamber. At the foot of the lantern stand was a smaller stand with a bowl on top of it, twinkling green lights.


“The Battery of the Corps,” the bat pony said.


Next to the glowing battery and the bowl was a large red stallion dressed in Green Lantern Corps colors, his own ring glowing with the light the corps used. The stallion turned and smiled at the visitors.

“Howdy,” GL Big Macintosh said.

“Squeaker-this is Big Macintosh, temporary battery guard and brother to our Clarissi Applejack. Red, this is Spitfire formally of the Wonderbolts. She’s the one Smiley tried to recruit when we started our big expansion plan. She’s here to join our Corps. We need to fix her up with a ring.”

"Howdy," Mac said as he walked to the bowl. “We've got six rings left Boom, after that AJ is going ta have ta make more.”

“She’s due back for recharge soon, along with Rufus who will take up his job here when he gets back, so she can make some more then.” Boom nodded at Spitfire. “Can you do the honors Red?”

Mac nodded and started to reach out with a bare hoof to the bowl containing the rings when a clattering sound erupted from the door way. Violet light suddenly brightened up the chamber as a flying mare crashed into the stallion, the two of them skidding over the stone floor. SS Cheerilee, lying on top of Mac facing him shook her head before staring into the eyes of the Apple brother.

“Um…” Mac stammered. His power of speech had suddenly deserted him when he looked into the violet lighted eyes of the teacher.

“Oh! Sorry Mac.” Cheerilee floated off the green lantern to stand on the floor.

“We have a big problem,” the teacher said. A bubble of violet light formed and an image of Apple Bloom holding what could only be a lantern battery appeared within.

”Apple Bloom has a power ring and a battery! She used them at school and took the Cutie Mark Crusaders away with her using strange construct creatures as guards to keep me away. They flew off to the east heading Celestia knows where. The only thing Apple Bloom said was that she was hungry and wanted something new to eat.”

Mac bit his bottom lip as he looked at the images Cheerilee was showing him. His other sister had a ring but the battery?

“What color was the ring Cheerilee,” he asked. “What light does it use?”

“It uses orange Mac.” The earth mare’s ears flattened. “It uses AVARICE!”

Mac put a hoof to his shaking head. Cheerilee moved forward and hugged the stallion.

Bomerang Blitz growled while turning away to face Spitfire.

“What’s up?”

“Apple Bloom is the little sister of Red and Jacky, a school aged child. Cheerilee there is the local teacher. Another kid has a power ring, one we haven’t seen before.”

“Another…kid? You mean there are kids with rings?”

“Yeah there are. Wasn’t my call Squeaker, it was before I got here.” The bat pony snorted. “There’s a child with an Indigo Ring…”

“Indigo!” Cheerilee pulled away from Mac. “I told Diamond Tiara to tell Sweetie Belle’s sister what had happened.” The instructor hissed and ran to the chamber door.

“I need an Indigo Herd NOW!” he yelled through a summoned megaphone. Everypony in the chamber stared at the instructor in surprise. Boomerang took a deep breath and slowly let the air out before speaking.

“OK. I need to get a hoof of anyone trying to talk to Jacky. We need to keep a lid on this until she gets out of combat.”

“What? Applejack would want to know right away!” The teacher rounded on the bat pony. “She needs to know!”

“Not now Pedagogue! She…”

“He’s right.” Spitfire interrupted, placing herself between the school mare and the training stallion.

“If…Applejack is fighting in the Griffon Kingdom right now, telling her could distract her in combat or she would abandon her post there and fly home and from the scuttlebutt I’ve heard they need every lantern that can be spared right now. She’s got enough to do and worry about right now without this.”

Cheerilee shook her head as the bat pony frowned. The group now looked at Macintosh, who rubbed his chin in thought.His jaw moved back and forth as he figuratively ‘chewed’ on what to do.

“Ah’ll make the final call on it m’self. If she’s gonna be mad at anyone…it aught ta be me. Fer now let’s keep this to ourselves til’ we know more about where Apple Bloom is an’ what she’s doin’.” Mac walked to the door and began searching the grounds.

“We need ta get a’ hold of Twilight. She’s the one who could tell us what this orange ring could do ta mah sister. Where is she anyway?”

“Lady Sparkle is in Manehatten with Princess Celestia meeting with the Aquastrian delegation.” Boom answered. Mac lifted into the air.

“Ah’m gonna go see Rarity an’ talk ta her about AJ and Twilight. Ol’ War Horse, watch the house ‘til Ah get back. Ya might as well fit our new recruit out while Ah’m gone."