• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 2,010 Views, 32 Comments

Tentative Pet Pony - Ponyess



If I like Ponies, why couldn't I try to be one? That was the initial idea, and I guess I went by it. Now I'll have to live by my choice. Even after I realised it would be permanent and looking like this.

  • ...
61
 32
 2,010

An Unexpected Delivery: 17

Author's Note:

Diamond Tiara's POV

I had clearly heard the sound of the Mail Mare, and she had delivered something to our door. I had heard it, but since I stay behind the house, I had seen nothing of the occasion, or what she was delivering.

I can only guess Filthy picked it up, whatever Ditzy may have carried to our door. I hope it is something good, even if it most likely wasn't for me.

A few minutes later, I could clearly hear the hoof steps of my father, Flighy Rich as he was walking through the house. Once he had walked back out and into the light of day, he lined up several postcards on the ground, just outside. A card on each stone tile, no more and no less.


As I approached, I soon realised these were for me, my friend Silver Spoon and the colts; Snips and Snails.

He had actually made the effort to group the cards in order for us to know which cards were for which pony. One section was for me, another for me and Silver Spoon. There was a section for all of us. The once that was clearly for the colts, if it was for Snips, Snails or both, I left alone. They were not for me. Right now, I wasn't up to the act of preying into what they had been writing to them.


I can't respond to any of the cards, so I guess I can just leave it at that. Maybe my father will thank the fillies and colts of Cherilee's class for the kind thought, not that it makes any difference to me. I am stuck here on the back of the garden.

Once I finally got to read the cards, I was shocked. What was I to think and how was I to react? I had shown no special love for any of these ponies, yet they had reached out with a kind word, when I had expected none. Maybe they could afford it, now as they knew I was never to be back in class? I couldn't hurt them and they clearly knew it.

Maybe Cherilee had thought us, and them better than I had realised. I guess I should be grateful for the moments we had with her in class, now I can never see either her or any of the ponies in class.


“Dear Diamond Tiara. I wish you well and the best of fortunes. Generously, Sweetie Belle!” I read, clearly recognising her words as I saw the card.

“Dear Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. I wish you the best of luck and that you have a very cool time, wherever you may go from here. Scootaloo!” red the next card.

Despite myself, they had moved me to tears.

Good thing Snips and Snails both had their own respective groups of cards to read, that would keep them out of my hair. While they read their cards, they couldn't see my emotional outburst. What shocked me, yet again, is just how emotional this moment had made me. I couldn't ignore the feelings I had ignored, forgotten or plain hidden away, both from myself and others.


Of course, maybe I could afford the outburst. It isn't as if I could ever go back to who and what I had been. My days as the little girl, the daughter of Filthy Rich are gone, never to be back. I am his pet pony.

Maybe the cards should mean something to me. I guess I had to read them all. It isn't as if it would make any difference. Still, I read every last card with my name on it. The once that hit hardest, are the once from the fillies referring to themselves as the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Why, certainly not because I had loved them more than any of the others. I guess they had still left a deeper impression on me, though. On the other rubbery hoof, maybe I was envious of the close friendship and how they always helped one another out, when and where ever one needed the help of either of the others.


Then it hit me, in a way I had bound them together. They had found the others, on the party for me. The party they basically hijacked, just by being special, due to not having the mark I had valued so highly. The thought gave me a bittersweet pang as it hit home. What was I to do about it, but I could do nothing so long as I am a pony. Just as it is what I will always be.

I had lost everything I had and everything I had valued, short of the one friend, silver Spoon. In trade, I had been given an owner, and made into his pet, a pony.

I may not like to be a pet, but I guess I could still enjoy the freedom it gave me in trade. As if I had a choice? Why suffer the first blow, when it gave me something in trade? For now, I have no more school. Besides, maybe I could have more time with my father. Could he still love me as much as a pet? Was that what he wanted out of me?

In the end, my head started to hurt. I figured I had been thinking too much. Maybe I shouldn't think? With that, I went back to reading the rest of the cards, before I gathered my share in a pile, saving them as a treasure. A keepsake of what I had traded for what I am now. Maybe that was too deep a thought as well.


There was the one thing I knew I could do, the one thing I knew I did enjoy. With that I moved over to Silver Spoon and muzzled her gently on the side of her neck, begging her to follow me back to the lovely grasses. Thankfully, she realised enough of what I meant to say and followed me. She had always been a follower, even if she had some problems reading the situation, from time to time.