• Published 9th Jan 2014
  • 411 Views, 12 Comments

MLP FIM Guardians of the Elements - Hyena King



Two brothers realize their dreams of being heroes!

  • ...
17
 12
 411

Chapter 8

"So, what did you mean it was too dangerous for me to go on this quest?

"Nothing, honest!"

"Did you mean I couldn't handle it.?! Well let me tell you..."

"Hey, for the record, Thunder said it, not me."

Lightning and Rainbow where arguing, well, more like Rainbow was chewing Lightning out and he was trying feebly to defend himself. The ponies were currently on a cliff side inside the EverFree forest and, aside from the drama playing out behind them, nothing interesting had happened. Applejack was talking to Twilight during this time, and she finally turned towards the two pegasi and cleared her throat.

"Could you give it a rest back there? I can't hear myself think."

"Yes, you two fight like an old married couple." Rarity added.

"Really?" Lightning asked with a smile on his face. Rainbow didn't notice this, instead snorting angrily and stopped talking. Thunder, who was also near the back, simply rolled his eyes and continued on with the rest of the ponies.

"So, none of you have ever been here?" Twilight asked the rest of the ponies. "Oh, heavens no." Rarity said, looking around in fear. "I mean, look at it. It's dreadful!"

"And it ain't natural." Applejack chimed in. "Folks say it doesn't work like the rest of Equestria."

"All the more reason for us to be along to guard you." Thunder said, looking around warily.

"What's that supposed to mean?" asked Twilight.

"Nopony knows!" said Rainbow Dash, taking on the a scary face, scaring the rest of the ponies. Even Thunder backed up fearfully. Only Lightning appeared unaffected.

"Rainbow, cut it out." said Applejack, getting annoyed with Rainbow's antics. Unbeknownst to them all, a black mist appeared below them and seeped into the cliff.

"They say that anypony who ever went into the forest, has never come out!" Rainbow said, jumping up for effect. Suddenly the cliff gave way and crumbled underneath the ponies hooves. They all, with the exception of the pegasi, fell towards the ground screaming.

" Fluttershy, quick!" Rainbow cried, flying to catch one of the mane six. Fluttershy followed saying "Oh my goodness." the whole while.

Lightning gave a hoot of excitement. "Here's our chance Thunder!" he said, flying a little higher in his jubilation. "Never fear, Thunder and Lig-"

WHAM!

Lightning flew up too high and crashed headfirst into a cliff overhang. Knocked out cold, Lightning plummeted towards the ground. Thunder uttered a groan of frustration and followed after him. All the while, Twilight had fallen nearly over the cliff, but was caught by Applejack. However, they were both struggling to hold their respective positions.

"Applejack, what do I do?" Twilight asked, trying her best to hold on to Applejack.

Applejack took a peek upward, then said "Let go."

"Are you crazy?!" Twilight cried. "No I ain't I promise you'll be safe." Applejack responded.

"That's not true!"

"Now listen here. What I,m saying to you is the honest truth. Let go and you'll be safe."

After giving the earth pony a skeptical look, Twilight's eyes took a trusting look and let go. She fell screaming for a bit, but was grabbed by Thunder.

"Don't worry, you're safe milady." Thunder said reassuringly. Twilight breathed a sigh of relief as she was let down to the ground.

"Sorry girls." said Fluttershy. "I,m only used to holding up a bunny or two." Twilight looked over at Applejack with new-found trust. The mist, foiled, retreated further into the forest to wreck more mischief.

"What'd I miss?" Lightning asked once he regained consciousness. Rainbow proceeded to tell Lightning how she, Fluttershy and Thunder saved the day.

"And then when you, Pinkie and Rarity were safely on the ground, Thunder swooped up and bam! Right in the nick of time.

"Yes, Rainbow, I was there and I,m very grateful." As she said this, Twilight flashed Thunder a smile, which he returned. Lightning looked downright depressed at missing this.

Twilight continued, But we got to-" she didn't get a chance to finish as a dark shape suddenly appeared before them. Twilight gasped.

"A manticore!" she cried. In response, the beast got up and roared viciously, ready to attack.