• Published 30th Mar 2012
  • 3,804 Views, 25 Comments

Secret of My Excess - ApplejackEquestria



Story Featuring Twilight, Rarity, and Spike a year after the dragon let's his greed get the better of him and runs away.

  • ...
3
 25
 3,804

All Good Things

Chapter 6: All Good Things


Spike flew across the cave, skidding on the rocky floor and hitting the rough cave wall. His head and vision distorted as the pain filled dragon struggled to get up.
“Not him again...” He groaned, managing to compose himself. The oldest dragon in existence was leaving the cave, but not empty handed.

Spike got one last glimpse of his closest friend being taken away by an unstoppable monster, before flying out of sight.
“No... NO!” The dragon howled, “I'm not letting you take her!” Fury filled his whole being, and there was only one thing on his mind. He was going to save Twilight.

Moving faster than he ever had before, Spike ran on all fours out of that wretched cave. He turned up the slope leading him to the grassy field. In the distance, the aged dragon was getting away with Twilight. But Spike had already decided that wasn't going to happen.

His pain and emotion were slipping away, affection caring, and love left his heart to be replaced. He wanted Twilight free, no, he needed Twilight free. That was the only thing he wanted, and it filled him up. Spike felt complete. The dragon lept off the edge of the cliff.

********************************



She was being choked. The grasp of the dirty beast's hand were suffocating Twilight, squeezing her puny chest till it felt like it was going to give way. If she stayed this way, she was going to die. A bubble formed around the pony, shielding her from the tight clutch of the blue deathtrap claws.

She gasped for air, setting her hoof on her heart. A sigh of relief came from the unicorn's heavy lungs. Her feeling of security didn't last long. The clutch around her bubble tightened, and the pony's concentration on magic protecting her grew. She had to get out.

With strain growing on her horn, Twilight managed to teleport onto the elder's scaly back. She was in some kind of mountainous region, the beautiful sight made her feel reassured. Just when she was beginning to feel safe, an enraged roar came from behind her. A rage filled, fully grown dragon flew behind them, gaining speed.
“Spike...” She muttered. Her head was pounding, and she was being kidnapped by the oldest dragon in Equestria. But this took the cake, and Twilight knew she was in trouble now.

A green ball of fire erupted from Spike's mouth, but the older, wiser dragon evaded it with ease. Twilight was flung across the dragon's back. Her back hit a scale and she quickly grabbed hold. With a deep growl, the dragon let out an ancient battle cry, and flew straight up into the sky. Wind was whipping her mane and screaming in her ears. The purple pony clung on for dear life, knowing very well she might not make it.

But they stopped. Twilight looked down to see the Spike grabbing hold of the beast's tail. He pulled down. The dragon went down faster than she, so the unicorn was left to free fall. Twilight tried to summon some magic, teleport to safety, but this was too much for her. Blood rushed up to her head, but she could make out the blue elder hit the ground, making an ominous crack.
“That will be my fate too.” Twilight thought. She heard wings flapping by her, and something swooped by right next to her.

Suddenly, she wasn't falling anymore. She was in the claws of the purple dragon, who glanced at her with a triumphant look.
“Spike!” The pony shouted. A grip formed around her, but allowed her head to pop out. She could breathe easily enough, his grip was rather loose. He genuinely cared for her safety.
“Maybe he is somewhere in there.” She thought.

They were diving down, gaining speed. They were going head first into the dragon, and Twilight thought Spike had officially lost it. But he flipped in mid air to land on his feet. And the dragon. A cry came out of the beast, and then lied still. Spike was breathing heavily, then released an intense roar, spouting green fire into the air. Twilight chuckled, but her energy was long gone. Her head fell on the dragon's claw as she passed out.


********************************

When the purple pony awoke, she was flying in Spike's hand. They were soaring over mountains and valleys. A curtain of sunshine was covering the magical land, the whole unfolding right in front of her. She took everything in, after all, it wasn't everyday Twilight Sparkle got off the ground. In the distance, Twilight was able to make out the mountain that loomed over Ponyville. The dragon slowed down to grab onto the cliff side, scaling it easily with one claw. They made their way around the mountain into the cave, with horrified screams coming from the inside.

When inside, Twilight could make out all her friends, cowering in a corner. She felt herself being lowered and set down on the stone floor. Her friends collided with her, they were all screaming and laughing.
“Doggy pile!” Rainbow Dash laughed while they fell on top of Twilight. Now, in the middle of a pile of ponies, Twilight felt the best she had in a long while.
“These really are the best friends in the world.” She thought, but they weren't complete yet.

Twilight climbed out to stare into the thoughtful gaze of a purple dragon. He looked confused, as if unsure what they were doing or why he was here. But she was so happy, and he saved her, so he had to be in there somewhere.
“I'm okay now Spike, you can change back!” She said matter-of-factly. The dragon continued to stare at her blankly.
“Alright now, no need to stay like that.” She said, this time concern making it's way in.

The dragon turned it's head to some of the left over party supplies. He pounced on them happily, reaching out for nearby items. Her friends were suddenly silent. The greedy dragon gathered a nice pile and decided to lie atop it and cuddle it as if it were a teddy bear. Twilight couldn't move, her legs growing painfully stiff and her mouth running dry. Not this, not again.

Tears were forming in her eyes, this couldn't be happening.
“Do you really want this?!” She shouted, pain ringing in her raspy voice, but she didn't care.
“Who are we to you? Who am I to you?” Her knees were shaking so bad, the world was pulling her down. She felt a gentle yellow hoof on her shoulder.
“Twilight, maybe it's best if-”
“No!” Twilight was screaming now, this needed to be said, and nothing was going to stop her. That greed filled dragon, lying on top of his valuables was tearing her apart.
“If this is what you want, then fine! You don't even know who I am, all you care about is yourself! I didn't raise you for-” Her voice cracked. The entire world was against her, but above everything else, the pony needed to say one last thing.
“If that's what you want, then fine. Goodbye Spike.”

She ran out of the terrible cave, tears whipping off her face.
“Twilight wait!” A voice called. She ran even faster. Down the slope of the cursed mountain, down like her sinking heart. Was that it then? She had thought she was going to learn some valuable lesson, but was the moral of the story that all good friendships come to an end?
“Twilight stop!” Rainbow Dash was gaining on her now. But Twilight didn't want to see her. She didn't want to see anypony.

The blue pegasus' hooves reached around her stomach, and press her full body weight down. They both hit the jagged stone path, rolling down before stopping hard. Pain rushed thorough her body. When Twilight finally stopped rolling, she was pinned down.
“Twilight you need to stop!” The pegasus screamed in her face.
“We can help you, we can fix this. We'll be there for you.” But the unicorn didn't want any of it. She struggled under the weight of the pegasus, adrenaline pumping through her body. Getting her right hoof free, she whacked the multicolored pony in the face, and was able to get up. She limped away as fast as she could. Her hoof hit a rock and she fell flat on her face.

She lied there, crying. Not for the pain of humiliation she just received. But because she lost Spike, again. Clops of her friends hooves came by her, they wanted to help, but there was a new barrier around Twilight's broken heart. She wasn't going to let anypony in. How could the one she raised, grew up with, didn't even care to see her face?
“Uh, Twilight... We should go.” Applejack's voice called.
“Leave me alone!” Twilight shrieked. There was murmurs and whispers, but they didn't matter.

Was she meant to have no friends? Was that it, if it was she could go back to Canterlot now and just study and read her life away like she used to. But even then she still had Spike. The real Spike, not that monster in that terrible cave. That wasn't him, and for all she knew he would never come back.

The thin mountain air grew cool around her. Night's unforgiving chill was crawling on her skin.
The world abandoned the shivering unicorn, leaving her alone to her thoughts.