• Published 30th Mar 2012
  • 3,803 Views, 25 Comments

Secret of My Excess - ApplejackEquestria



Story Featuring Twilight, Rarity, and Spike a year after the dragon let's his greed get the better of him and runs away.

  • ...
3
 25
 3,803

Progress

Chapter 2: Progress


It was the middle of the day while Twilight and friends were searching the mountain floor for gems. Twilight was helping, but couldn't help but feel uneasy. She felt something she hadn't in a long time though. Hope. With sudden inspiration, Twilight announced to her friends. “Come on everypony, we need to move on, Spike needs us.” Rainbow Dash flew overhead screaming “Yes Sargent Sparkle!” Twilight would normally laugh at this humor, but she was more in the mood to make progress.

Rarity was locating gems in a hurry to which her friends quickly dug up. Twilight wasn't sure how Rarity felt about all this, but at least she wanted to help Spike. Twilight took a closer look at Rarity, to notice a golden necklace with a heart shaped ruby around her neck. Twilight bit her lip.
“Spike...” she thought, “You were so sweet.”
“Yeehaw! That's the last satchel!” Applejack boomed. Twilight looked up to see her friend's worried stares.
“Alright then.” Twilight said, putting on the best commanding voice she could muster, “Let's take on the mountain!”

********************************

Twilight exhaled deeply as she trudged up the mountain with her heavy diamond-filled backpack. The lavender unicorn was unsure on how long they'd traveled, but they were making progress. Slowly. Twilight felt a lump growing in her throat, anxiety filled her body. She wanted to be by Spike, she wanted to be with him now.

“Don't y'all think it's 'bout time we set up camp?” Applejack suggested. The sun was nearly down, and it was starting to get cold.
“Oh, oooooooooooh oh! I've got it!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed passing everypony in a pink blur. Twilight watched her go around the mountain. Twilight turned to look at her friend's in confusion, when they heard a loud BANG!
“Yep, that's Pinkie.” Rainbow Dash said, flying off after her.
“Why does she have to be so loud?” Flutter Shy complained.
“ Come on girls, let's move.” Twilight said, and they hurried up the cliff side.
“Oh my...” Rarity exclaimed.

In front of them was six large sofas, with food and drinks on a table with a fire in the middle to top it off. Pinkie blew smoke from her party cannon. Twilight wondered how she'd carried it, but she decided not to ask.
“And, it has the entire Daring Do series!” Rainbow Dash said from a sofa, reading. Twilight wanted to laugh out loud.
“Well I guess this is my first camp out, what are we supposed to do?” Dash's book closed with a crack.

“Ghost pony stories!” Everypony gather around the fire.
“Um, I have one...” Flutter Shy said. Everypony looked surprised, and Rainbow Dash was rolling her eyes.

“One day a spirit pony decided to teach animals how to take care of themselves... and how to live on their own!” Glances went around as Flutter Shy's breath quickened. “They no longer need ponies to help and feed them, or love and nourish them.” Twilight looked at Pinkie Pie who was holding back tears of laughter, Flutter Shy, on the other had, looked absolutely horrified. “The world starts to take care of itself, no more need for pegasi to clear the skies, the clouds move-” The bright yellow pony took a deep shaky breath, “on their own!”
“NO!!!” Rainbow Dash screamed huddled on the ground.

Everypony started laughing, even Rainbow Dash and Flutter Shy. It felt really good to Twilight, being... normal. They talked for a while, ponies leaving to go to bed when they felt they had enough, until it was just Twilight and Flutter Shy.
“I'm really tired, we have a big day ahead of us too. We'll finally see Spike again! Well, goodnight Twilight.”
“Goodnight.” Twilight said softly. She turned to an open party sofa filled with confetti. Not to her surprise, when she lied down, she found she couldn't sleep.

She turned to look at the beautiful night sky, lit by brilliant stars and the shining moon. In the morning, she would see Spike, but there was a feeling she had all day that she couldn't quite place. Had he changed? Was he still her Spike, the one she brought up?

She thought about it for a while, only to realize that she couldn't do anything even if he had changed. But that didn't mean she didn't love him. Even if he was the most brutal dragon when they got up there, it didn't matter. He was still Spike, and she just wanted to hold him like she used to. When he was scared and lonely. When she was scared and lonely... Twilight whimpered, feeling hot tears forming in her eyes. She rolled over and covered them, but the tears wouldn't stop.

This is when she needed him, to no somepony understands. The unicorn felt suffocated, it was hard to breathe. Twilight felt a hoof on her back, which was going up and down uncontrollably. Twilight turned to see Rarity, tears on her cheeks as well, biting her lip. She gave Twilight a hug, to which she returned, not wanting to let go. They cried for a long while, because they both knew why the other was crying.
“Twilight-” Rarity's voice cracked, “I miss him too, but we'll see him tomorrow.” Twilight let go to look at her.
“I know, I'm just scared.” Rarity nodded, and she walked off to her couch to leave Twilight alone. Twilight turned to lay down her head, and instantly fell asleep.