• Published 30th Mar 2012
  • 3,803 Views, 25 Comments

Secret of My Excess - ApplejackEquestria



Story Featuring Twilight, Rarity, and Spike a year after the dragon let's his greed get the better of him and runs away.

  • ...
3
 25
 3,803

The Letter

Chapter 1: The Letter

Twilight Sparkle opened her deep purple eyes to feel the cool night air flowing through her dark mane. Blue night sky seeping through her window. Something had woken her, she was sure of it.
“Hello?” She called out, but no pony was there to answer her.
“... Spike?”

An immense feeling of loneliness swept over her. She tried to stop herself, but she needed to. Twilight turned her head to see Spike's empty bed. Twilight stuffed her face in her pillow and cried uncontrollably. She wish she could stop, but it was useless. Twilight was left alone to cry in her dark library in Ponyville.

********************************

The bright morning sun lit Rarity's workshop perfectly. With The Grand Galloping Gala coming up, with her new found reputation in Canterlot, she was really busy making new designs for new customers. This could be huge for her reputation, she gleefully thought. If big name ponies wore her dresses, she could certainly be a designing star. The sheet white unicorn of generosity skipped over to her sketch table and began to work on her best dress yet.

Normally, Rarity would be so wrapped up in her stylish genius to even begin to think about anything other than work but a thought crossed her mind. She recalled hearing Twilight last night while she was getting some late night work done. Her pencil lowered to her desk with a blue aura.
“Poor Twilight...” Rarity thought aloud.
“It's simply not fair... I'll make her a dress too to cheer her up!” Rarity kept working, hiding behind her feelings with concern for her friend. Her mind was shooting blanks when she tried to think of a dress for Twilight. Ratity thought of Spike, the obvious reason Twilight was so upset. Rarity let her emotions flow in. A tingly feeling in her stomach came, a certain flutter and warmth. Inspiration hit.

Rarity reclaimed her lost pencil. She let her pencil flow through the page, an extension of herself. She couldn't do it. Rarity put down her pencil and take a look at her work. It was great, but Rarity knew she shouldn't be doing her work like this.

“Maybe I deserve a break!” She concluded. Rarity left her work stranded as she went outside to the streets of Ponyville. She could feel her emotions building up, as much as she didn't want to show them. Pain and stress were in the poor pony's system, but she didn't want anypony to know. Rarity found herself at Twilight's library. She took a deep breath, and knocked on the door.

The wooden door to Twilight's house swung open with a light purple aura. Rarity peered around to see her best friends inside celebrating.
“Wha- What's going on?” Rarity asked. “You won't believe it!” Said a pink, ruffled maned pony popping from seemingly nowhere. Pinkie Pie was dancing around as usual, in her same exited manner. Rarity turned to see her blue multi-colored maned friend Rainbow Dash lying lazily around looking rather content on the top floor. “Spike sent a letter to Twilight!” Dash answered.
“What?!” Rarity exclaimed.
“How is that even possible?” The pegasus shrugged as Twilight appeared from the top floor a sack on her back full of supplies. She looked happier than Rarity had seen her in a long time. A slightly crumpled letter floated in front of Rarity. She instantly recognized the handwriting. “Spike...” Rarity couldn't believe it.
“Read it out loud.” Spoke up Applejack, the orange blond maned pony of honesty.

Rarity felt all eyes on her, even Flutter Shy's, that yellow pegusus never liked to put ponies in awkward situations. “Um, okay.” Rarity collected herself and read the handwritten letter by Spike.:

“Dear Twilight

Can't write for long, I've returned to normal for reasons I'll explain later. I'm on top of the mountain in the cave on the border of Ponyville. I can barely move and have no food or water. Please help when you can.

Your friend, Spike”

Silence ensued over the friends in the library.
“What are we supposed to do to save him?” Flutter Shy remarked.
“I'm not sure.” Twilight said, shoving a backpack onto The kind pegasus’ back.
“But we're going to help him.” Twilight said determined, something Rarity hadn't seen in Twilight for a long time.
“Ya, we're his friends!” Rainbow Dash yelled.
“And we need to be there for him.” Rarity wasn't sure how she felt, she had work to do.
“You all in?” Twilight asked.
“Of course!” Dash said.
“Ooh, I'm in too.” Flutter Shy said in a hushed tone.
“Wouldn't miss it.” Applejack answered back. Pinkie leaped in the air with her hoof straight up.
“Oh Oh, and me too!” Rarity stared at the letter. What was wrong with her, why didn't she say anything? She wanted to, but something was holding her back.
“Rarity?” Rarity looked up to see her friend's quizzical looks.
“Is something wrong?” Twilight asked concerned. Rarity's mind knew in an instant she had to find him. “Of course, let's find Spike.”