• Published 4th Jan 2014
  • 1,109 Views, 113 Comments

The Pony Games - Eternal Flame



The Pony Games. Where ponies are reaped and taken to an arena. They are forced to fight until there is a winner, and only one can survive. It has been 81 years since the games have been invented, and even the closest of friends must face each other.

  • ...
14
 113
 1,109

The Reapings

It was the year of the 81st Pony games. Six friends were spending the last night before the reaping together; knowing full well that there was a chance it may be the last time they could. Tomorrow, they would have to bear through the drawing of the names. Separated by race, each pony would have to endure the process without the full support and comfort the bonds of friendship had provided them thus far. Watching movies, playing games and enjoying snacks served to remind them of this. While smiles filled their faces and laughter filled their ears, it was evidently apparent that it was forced. Feelings of concern and fear were mixed in as conversations went on. Even the normally bubbly Pinkie Pie faltered as everpony was subconsciously saying their goodbyes.

The time finally came for everypony to take their leave. As much as they wanted to stay, family came first. A heart filled embrace was shared, knowing full well that when they met again, the tributes will have been chosen. Although the odds were in their favor, they all knew that any of their names could be called. While all shared this thought, it remained unspoken, as if not talking about it could prevent it. As they headed their separate ways, it appeared as though the Mare in the Moon was looking down upon them sympathetically. No one slept in Equestria that night; No one but Celestia that is.

It was the morning of the reaping. As Celestia’s sun shown down, all across the land ponies were making their way to their assigned stations: the pegasi to the Wonderbolt’s training compound in Cloudsdale, the unicorns to Manehatten town square, and the earth ponies to Appleloosa’s town hall. Every house was empty as even the ponies too old or too young for the games traveled with their family to show their support.

The three locations were so far apart, yet very similar. Those old enough for the games were crammed towards the front. It was silent except for the shuffling of nervous hooves and the occasional cry and mumble of comforting words. Behind them gathered family, friends and strangers alike. Past arguments and conflicts were forgotten as everypony stood united at this moment of fear. Twelve names would be chosen this day. And only one would survive…

The training compound in Cloudsdale was packed. Inside was total madness as pegasus from all across Equestria were crammed into this one building. In addition to Cloudsdale’s already large population, ponies from Fillidelphia, Ponyville, Los Pegasus, Trottingham, Appleoosa, Manehattan, Baltimare and Hoofington gathered as they awaited the calling of the names. Even with the magical enchantment the peacekeepers put on the building - enlarging it to over three times its original size - there was little room to do much more than stand and face their possible fate. Priority was given to those who had their names in one of the vast glass bowls that dominated the stage; their families and friends pressing forward as much as they could behind the roped off areas to provide what little comfort they could. Late arrivals were forced to stand outside and view the proceedings threw giant televisions that were affixed to surrounding houses.

It was uncomfortably claustrophobic as everypony's body was tingling with the sense of fear. Some were trying to be brave, while others were crying. Even more stood in an overwhelming feel of desperation. A few fillies and colts new to the reaping process fainted in fright as the time neared.

On this day there was one feeling that was shared by all. Everypony was hoping and praying that somepony they loved would not be chosen.

Opinions of the games varied greatly amongst the pegasi. Favored by the princess as guards, as well as having power over the weather, they had a clear advantage over the earth ponies and unicorns. Almost all of the flight schools that were allowed to remain open trained their students hard to become guards. Annually, ten pegasi were chosen to by Celestia herself to join her royal defenders. Those who were trained enjoyed the games, some to the extent that they would volunteer as to prove themselves. This was very rare as almost everypony else dreaded the games.

Near the back of the room, a timid yellow Pegasus with a pink mane collapsed with a whimper, trembling violently. Fluttershy was one of the older ponies entering the reaping. And this year the odds were definitely not in her favor. The seasons were showing their harsher sides this winter as wind, rain and snow fell almost every day. In order to feed her forest friends, Fluttershy had been forced to sign up for tessera, the result being that her name was in the bowl many times more her normal wished maximum. One slip was bad enough, but sixteen was terrifying. And every year when she came to this reaping hall, memories would flood her mind, haunting and taunting her. One in particular stood out:

Fluttershy clung to her mother’s foreleg, trying to avoid being trampled by the crowd. She didn't fully understand what was going on, only that her mommy and some other pegasi had to stand at the front of the compound while her grandparents were somewhere towards the back. Her mother had tried to make her go with them, but she stayed by her mommy's side, not moving for anypony.
Everypony fell silent as a mare walked onto the stage. Fluttershy was fascinated by the mare's hair; piled on top of her head in a very elaborate style - and there was so much of it! The purple Pegasus talked for a long time, but Fluttershy was too little to understand. Instead she entertained herself by playing with her mommy's flowing pink hair and creating sculptures with the cloud floor.

Suddenly, the mare called out her mommy's name very loudly. Whatever it was, she had won! Fluttershy looked up, and was horrified to see her mommy crying. Her mommy hugged her like never before, kissed her, held her close and whispered things in her ear. Fluttershy knew something was wrong, and she clung to her mommy, begging, wailing, pleading that she didn't go, but it was no use.
A brown-coated stranger held Fluttershy back, trying to comfort her, but she ignored him as she watched her mommy go. Her grandparents came to get her, her grandfather muttering about the danger of having a foal so young while her grandmother complained about her good-for-nothing father running off leaving poor Fluttershy all alone. Fluttershy cried and screamed as her grandparent took her away, pausing just long enough to hear her mother say she'd win, win for Fluttershy.

She never saw her mommy again.

Next to her stood Rainbow Dash. Sensing her friend’s anxiety, she tried to mutter words of comfort, unaware she wasn't being heard.

"Fluttershy, look at all the pegasi, some of them have got their names in waaaay more times than you. You have practically no chance of being chosen."

The two friends stood still, Rainbow's words as much for herself as her friend's by now. The clock struck two and Cloudsdale's mayor walked onto the stage to begin her speech. She spoke about the history of Equestria; how Celestia banished her sister to the moon and how she developed Equestria to be the country that it is today. She spoke of the dark ages, about Equestria’s failed uprising. Of how the rebelling towns and cities were defeated, and the creation of the Pony games. The mayor went on to explain that on this day, four pegasi, four unicorns and four earth ponies would be reaped and have to fight to the death, serving as a reminder the consequences of revolt and the power their ruler possessed.

She then read out the lost of all the pegasi winners, which proved to be fairly long. With natural advantages, the pegasi usually perform quite well, especially those who have been trained throughout flight school on how to fight and defend themselves since they were foals to the time of their first reaping. While training before the event is technically against the rules, these so-called ‘career’ tributes usually put on a good show, so nopony really cares. It is easy to spot one of these career ponies as they are the only ones showing any excitement for the games. The mayor then introduces a Canterlot mare named Winter Darling.

Winter Darling bounced onto the stage. She looked like the only pony who wanted to be there at the moment, besides the career tributes of course.

"Happy Pony Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor!" She talks about what an honor it is to be there, and then stretches her wings for everyone to see -and it must be the latest Canterlot fashion craze for she had tiny gold and silver nuggets imbedded in between her feathers.

Her speech is soon over and it's time to draw the names. There is deafening silence as Winter Darling trots to the bowl and rummages around for the random most piece of paper she can find. Pulling it out she read the name…

"Fluttershy!"

Fluttershy felt her heart stop and every pair of eyes turn towards her, all showing her the same mix of pity and relief. Pity because she was chosen, relief because they were not. Fluttershy tried to take it all in.

"Fluttershy?"

Was this how her mother felt? Unbelieving, terrified, desperate. Was it worse for her, leaving behind a daughter who was barely old enough to understand? Fluttershy wasn't leaving any family behind, she knew that her grandparents and father had passed a long time ago; but there were lots of animals in her care that could not survive without her. She thought of her friends, thinking of their faces and the times they shared together. Rainbow’s lingering the longest, as she was her oldest friend. She closed her eyes as her legs gave way and she collapsed again, wishing that when she opened them it would have all been a dream. That she would be safe at home with her animals and friends and...

"Fluttershy?"

As she heard her name being called again, she knew that wishing wouldn't make it less real. Having no other choice, she forced her trembling self to get up and take a step forward. And another, and another… Every step reminded her, reminded her of the day when her mother took these steps. She couldn't do it, she couldn't go into that place where here mother lost her life. Her steps faltered and she tried to back away.

"I Volunteer!"

Every eye turned to the blue Pegasus with the rainbow mane hovering above Fluttershy.

"I Volunteer!" Repeated Rainbow Dash, "I volunteer for Fluttershy!"

The whole compound was in shock. Mutterings rose up from the once silent hall, nopony quite believing or understanding what was going on. Volunteering was allowed but it hadn't happened for so long most people had forgotten how it worked. At the front, Winter Darling was whispering hurriedly to the mayor, trying to remember what to do.

"R-Rainbow?"

Rainbow Dash smiled down at Fluttershy.

"It's ok, Shy." She whispered to her friend before flying up to join Winter Darling and the mayor on stage.

Fluttershy knew she should do something, like fly up there and stop Dash, but she could only stand there, frozen, petrified, useless. As Winter Darling recovered her sickly smile and hushing the crowd, she gave Rainbow Dash the chance to introduce herself.

Rainbow locked eyes with Fluttershy as she spoke directly to the crowd, yet ignoring them completely.

"Fluttershy is my friend." Rainbow said simply.

Though they both knew there was much, much more to it than that. She had known Fluttershy since the start of flight school, and for some strange reason, she looked at Fluttershy like a younger sister, even though she was quite a bit older. Rainbow had taken her under her wing, sticking up for her and beaten up those who teased or bullied the yellow pegasus. Rainbow alone knew what happened to her mother in the arena, and this would make it twice as hard for her friend. And Fluttershy had always been there for her, comforting her at the lowest moments, yet never judging. She would always know exactly what to do and say. And as Rainbow said those four words, people would rumor and whisper about how there must be more to it all, especially knowing that Rainbow was such a tomboy, but Fluttershy knew the truth, and that was what mattered.

"Well then, you must be a very good friend indeed!" Winter Darling gave Rainbow Dash a huge smile before tuning back to the audience. "Let's give a massive round of applause for this very brave Pegasus!"

The hall exploded into applause; everypony clapping, cheering and whistling. Everypony except Fluttershy that is. Despite Rainbow's brave look on her face and her puffed out chest, Fluttershy, as her oldest and most trusted friend, could tell rainbow was completely and utterly terrified.

The rest of the reaping went quickly, Rainbow Dash was joined on stage by a pegasus named Ember Blaze. She was the darkest of browns with a plaited mane and flowing tail varying in different shades of red, orange and yellow giving her the appearance that she was on fire. She was eerily calm and walked away as if nothing was going on. She had a very large family in the crowd, all of who were crying. Dash wanted to tell her how much she admired her for acting so calmly. But she forced herself to stay stationary. Once she was in the arena she was an enemy to all the other tributes, and giving compliments to them that could lead to a friendship would make it even harder. She couldn't show weakness or kindness of any sort to the other tributes.

The two males were Dumb-Bell and Hoops, she would have no difficulty staying away from them.

"Should be fun, Rainbow Crash!" They jeered. She would have made a nasty reply, but she was too busy pretending to be brave and not crying to pay them any attention.

The anthem played as the ponies were led out of the room. Those not chosen left to go home, either to celebrate or weep. By the time Fluttershy remembered how to move, the hall was empty, and her friend, gone.

Twilight tapped and shuffled her hooves anxiously. She would be pacing back of forth right now, but it was too crowded to think of that. She couldn't even take one step forward. Every single unicorn from the towns and cities surrounding Canterlot had been herded into this small space. The garden next to them was usually a wonderful place, so full of life that held all who passed it in awe- but not today. For today was a day centered around death. And no amount of beauty could stop the terror of it.

Twilight stared at the huge glass bowls containing the names. It was just slips of paper. Yet because of it, 11 innocent ponies are killed every year. Four unicorns would be chosen today and are going to be sent to their almost certain death. Being older, and therefore having her name in more times, the odds were not in Twilight's favour. But the pony standing right next to her had even worse luck. She reached out to grab Rarity's hoof only to find it cold and shaking. Rarity couldn't keep up with the ever-changing Canterlot fashion craze. Her shop wasn't earning enough bits so she had to sign up for tesserae so her sister, her parents, her cat and herself had something to eat. This resulted in Rarity's name being placed in the bowl twice as many times as Twilight's.

Twilight took a deep breath, and prepared to tell Rarity what she had decided the night before.

"Rarity?"

"Y-yes, Twilight?"

"If-If your name gets drawn, I will volunteer for you."

Rarity's eyes went wide with shock and she opened her mouth as if to say something, so Twilight rushed on. "I mean, my magic is stronger than most unicorns, and even though they limit it in the arena, I would have an advantage, and I know you hate getting dirty and-

"Twilight Sparkle!" Rarity said, standing up to her full height, "I appreciate it, but you shall do such thing! It may not be to my liking, but I can survive the games long enough to do my family proud. Why, with your persuasive and organization skills, you'd get tons of sponsors for me! They'd be queuing all around Ponyville! Whereas I would be lying down on a sofa, crying and worried about you!"
Twilight paused, taking in Rarity's words and trying very hard to keep the tears from falling. She wanted to hug her tight, but knew that the embrace would open up the floodgates and before long they both would be crying. Instead she stood proud and brave, like a unicorn should. She couldn't show any weakness. She smiled and nodded, showing her the admiration she felt. The clock chimed two and they were holding their hooves tighter than ever.

The mayor's speech slipped passed quickly and he introduced the Canterlot unicorn named Summer Mane. She took to the stage and the crowd fell silent.

"Happy Pony Games!" Summer Mane said with a little too bright of a smile, "And may the odds ever be in your favor!"

Twilight started calculating what the odds were for her in percentiles, deliberately taking a long time as she did every year. It loosened up her nerves a bit.

"Let's start with the girls, shall we?" Said the bright orange unicorn with matching frizzy hair. Digging deep into the bowl, she pulled out a name. "Aurora Star!" She yelled.

A faint sob came from the corner of the square as a teal unicorn departed from her surrounding family and headed towards the large stage. She looked fairly young and was quite frankly, beautiful. All the stallions were staring at her, wanting to be with her while all the mares were making mental notes of how to style their manes like hers.

"Thank you, Aurora. Next up... Rarity!"

There was a moment of confusion as the crowd only half-realized the next name had been called. Twilight turned to Rarity, who looked bold and tall beside her. She was about to say something but Rarity snapped at her.

"Don't you dare, Twilight Sparkle.”

During the time the males were being called, Twilight scoured her brain. There must be a spell that could help Rarity! There must! But every time she thought of one, Rarity's words echoes through her head. Her name was chosen, and nothing could change the fact.
But before she knew it, Rarity was gone.

Appleoosa was usually a happy place, but not today. Today, there was only hustling and bustling among the earth ponies as today was reaping day at Appleoosa town hall. Every earth pony was reluctant to be there. Usually they would be glad to have a day off work. But they dreaded this. Having no choice they had to bear through it all.

The earth ponies were the only race that could grow, harvest and send food off to other parts of Equestria, and the Princess demanded it in impossible amounts. Every year they watched their hard work be hauled off to Canterlot. Nopony was quite sure why they needed so much food; they only knew that their goal was set higher and higher each year. The earth ponies starved, as they could only eat a small portion of the food they worked so hard to produce. Though, starving was a much better fate than the punishment for those who didn't meet their quotas.

In the front of the building, an orange pony with a brown stetson held her little sister close. It was her first reaping and she was shaking like a leaf. Applebloom let out a sob as Applejack drew her closer, whispering reassurances into her ear.

All too soon the clock chimed and the sheriff of Appleoosa took to the stage. The speech was no different to the other two; it was about Equestria and how the games started. Granny Smith was next to Applejack, pursing her lips so she wouldn't let out an angry cry. She hated the games. Celestia burned their barn to the ground after they rebelled against her. Although she made it out alive many of her friends were slaughtered and their homes destroyed. Hearing stories about it before, Applejack reached out a hoof toward Granny Smith.

The sheriff was now beckoning a well-built pony by the name of Flash on stage. Nopony really liked him as he was completely full of himself. After a short speech, and with cocky grin, and he pulled the first name out.

"The lucky lady is..." said Flash sarcastically, "Applejack!"

"NO! Not meh sister!" Applebloom cried out.

"It's alright, sugarcube. Big Mac will look aftah y'all, got it? Won't yah, Mac?"

"Eeyup." Even this one word sounded heartbroken.

"You'll come back, won't yah?" Applebloom pleaded.

"Ah'll try mah best, Applebloom."

"Give Applejack a big round of applause, and then we will find out who is the next lucky lady!"

"Don't let 'em change yah, Applejack! Give 'em hell!" Granny Smith shrieked. The next thing Applejack knew, her grandmother was being dragged out the room by peacekeepers.

What the hay did she mean by that? Applejack thought. She scolded herself. How can she be thinking everyday things like this?!
"Oh-h-h Kay, the next lucky mare issss....

"Pinkie Pie!"

Applejacks heart sank. No. This couldn't be happening to her. This was torture.

"Hey there applejack! Wow, isn't this the craziest happenstance ever?! I wonder what the arena will be like, and the outfits! I hope mine has lots of balloons! Ooh, and I will meet soooo many new people, I could throw them a party! It's a shame we're against each other, we could have been great friends..."

Many people stared in shock at Pinkie Pie. No one has ever had a reaction like this. Some ponies were getting angry at Pinkie’s treatment of the situation, almost like it was a joke to her. But applejack knew it was just her way, however strange, to keep back the tears. It was her coping mechanism.

Applejack could hear sister crying, even over the males being reaped, even over the anthem. It broke her heart. She held Pinkie's hoof until they were in the clear- only then could they let their tears fall freely.

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading!

(A special thanks to Whiskeywolf for editing!)