• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 758 Views, 4 Comments

Obsidian Legacy: Sombra - Raven Shadow



Sombra returns, seeking revenge for his throne being stolen. War is looming over the peaceful nations. Can the mane six rise to stop this monster? Or will Equestria fall beneath his hooves.

  • ...
4
 4
 758

prologue

The land was bathed in life granting sunlight, crowds moved about with their daily lives.

Equestria, one of the many beautiful kingdoms in the entire world. It prospered as a weed grows, quick and stable. The reason for this were many of Equestria's neighbours were kind and traded many goods with their pony allies. Equestria exported many fruits, grains, and vegetables to the Zebra conclave, the Minotaur tribes, and the Crystal Empire. In turn each one of the proud races traded their goods they were famous for.

The Crystal Empire imported many grand gemstones and sturdy wooden objects crafted from the finest carpenters of their nation. The reason of these trades was the simple fact of food. The Crystal Empire lived in the north, above the Griffon Kingdoms, the temperatures became far to cold to grow many of the wondrous fruits Equestria could. The crystal ponies were the closest allies to Equestria because six strangers who came to the empire years ago saved the crystal ponies from a dreadful tyrant who knew the citizens of the empire as nothing more than slaves. The crystal princess, who was Celestia's niece kept the beast back for as long as she possibly could using her own strength alone to protect them. Once the Crystal Heart was reactivated the Crystal Empire swore with honor to align with Equestria.

The Zebra conclave was friendly with Equestrians since one of their own sent a letter back, explaining that the harmonious nature was welcoming to all. Their ambassadors came with treaties of peace for each nation, gaining help for their people while importing rare medicines for many diseases that afflicted the ponies of Equestria. The two princesses who ruled Equestria were grateful for these new allies, so much so that the diarchs declared the Zebra conclave will be welcomed in with open arms.

The Minotaurs came to Equestria seeking shelter from dragons who deemed the metal works of this proud race as theirs to keep. The dragon threat forced the Minotaurs from their mountain villages onto the plains where they became nomadic, until they crossed the border to Equestria. Many were met with hostilities from the Equestrian Armed Forces, their pleas found a way to the two goddesses. The princesses were saddened by the events of Minotaur race, so much so that both Celestia and Luna decreed the Minotaur race under Equestrian protection while they negotiated with the dragons over the land. Eventually each party agreed to peace, a shaky peace, the dragons left the mountain range in search of new territory for their kind. The Minotaurs ambassador thanked the princesses for giving the land back to the rightful owners. They sent many blacksmiths to Equestria to craft grand armors for the guards of the princesses, placing many enchantments on the armor to make them nearly indestructible to physical force. In doing so the Minotaurs became a fast ally to Equestria.

Many of the many other races have yet to become friendly with the great nation of Equestria. Some view the passive equines as food or slave labor. The Diamond Dogs were responsible for thousands of disappearances throughout the years, taking ponies as slaves to work their mines.

But this is the world today. Our story begins one thousand twelve years ago, when the reign of Discord was still fresh on the minds of every single being alive. Our story begins with hardships, loss, and bloodshed, when the grand nations were only still in their infancy to what they are today.

------------

The prince of the Crystal Empire stood proudly with his parents and wife, a perfect day that couldn't be spoiled by anything. His daughter ran underneath his legs, giggling as she hid behind one of her family member's bodies. Prince Sombra smiled as he took action to find the source of childish laughter, using his magic to pull her off the ground and float before him. She remained giggling as her father brought her past his head and back down.

"Sombra must you always play? I swear you still act like you're a foal yourself." Obsidian Lance whispered to his son. "Our entire family will be here in two hours so please when they are here act like an adult."

"Father have I ever disappointed you before? Have I not always been on my best behavior? So what is it if I play with my child for a few minutes, she's happy and I'm happy." Sombra replied back to the king; his father.

"Son we come from an important family, a very wealthy and politically renouned power. If they were to pass judgment on you, declaring you unfit to rule, our mighty empire could lose it's royal blood line. I don't have to reminded you the Obsidian Dynasty holds two thirds of the power in our empire." Obsidian Lance scolded, his son rolled his eyes at him.

Sombra just smiled at his Ebony Starlight. "Sweetie do go to your room and play with your toys?" Ebony Starlight nodded as she ran back to her room that was only two doors down. The King and Queen both smiled as their grandchild bolted away.

"Son I want you to know that there are members of our family who will try to remove us from the throne... They consider us to be over zealous. But when they are here I need you to be professional as well as careful with everything you say and do." Obsidian Lance gave his son a stern look to add importance to his words. Sombra's wife Amethyst made her way to her husband's side for comfort.

"When has Sombra ever let you down? He is always a great husband and father, he will not possibly let you down." Amethyst defended her husband. "And he will always do the right thing."

"Of course he will." Sombra's mother, Emerald Flame , said as she began to leave. Obsidian Lance nodded in agreement as he too took leave. Sombra and Amethyst stood alone on the balcony just staring out at the beautiful landscape below them, with a view like this the happy couple sighed and embraced each other. Amethyst nuzzled her beloved, taking in the moment with her company.

"Right now I feel as though nothing else matters in this world other than you." Sombra pulled Amethyst into a warm embrace. Amethyst giggled, a sweet and loving giggle, at the chosen words from her husband. She felt safe in his muscular forelegs, safe being around him.

"Sweetie, the rest of your family is arriving now, I see their carriages." Amethyst whispered trying to hold this moment for a little longer. A soft sigh came from her stallion, expressing his desires to meet with the rest of the Dynasty.

"Then let this meeting be over as soon as it begins, I have no desire to stay in their company longer than needed." Sombra replied with an unenthusiastic tone. His legs worked him back to the door but before he made his way to the throne room he turned back to his wife. " Amethyst please play with our bundle of joy also tell her daddy will be busy."

"Of course dear."

------------

"This is an outrage! The nerve of these weaker kingdoms demand our help?! Why must we share our wealth and power with ponies who should be fully able to help themselves!"

"The demon Discord may be gone but his scars are everywhere! We shouldn't hold ourselves higher than those ponies just because they had help from Alicorns! It's our duty-"

"Duty?! Our duty is here!"

"Obsidian Lance, you cannot be thinking to help those vagabonds? If you are then we of the Dynasty will remove you and your family from the throne!"

"SILENCE!" Obsidian Lance bellowed to quell the chorus of voices, to add to his voice he smashed his hooves deeply into the floor of his palace. The arguing had taken a toll on his kind features. "I am king and I will have final say in what this empire does, if anypony says otherwise leave."

Not a soul stirred.

"Good, if we do not help are we not the same as Discord? He may be gone but to turn our backs on our own kind? What would we become?" Obsidian Lance drew the pause out for effect of his words to set in. "I'll tell you. We would be no better than those damn mutts, bugs, and over grown birds! Each of them has their own interests above all else, selfish creatures. Ask yourself do you really want to sink to that? Do you think yourselves higher than the pegasi, unicorns, or earth ponies? Unless any one of you has a reason, we are going to join them during these uncertain times."

"Very well spoken brother, I knew father did right selecting you for the throne!" Came a jovial voice. All face turned to find the source, behind the massive squabble stood Obsidian Lake. Proudly he marched to his brother, a smile never leaving his face. "Spoken like a true king, and wrinkles as well. I guess that the crown grows a little heavy, huh?"

"Ahh Lake, it's been too long and to answer your question, you're older than me!" Obsidian Lance chuckled back. His attention drifted to his brother then back to the matter at hoof. "This is no longer up for debate, we are going to aid our Equestrian neighbors. Meeting adjourned."

A collective groan rose from the Obsidian Dynasty, each rising to their hooves and taking leave so the king would be able to speak to his brother peacefully. As the last member of the large family was out of the grand throne room, the doors shut with a slight groan from the weight.

"Lake?"

"Yes brother?"

"Remember the days when we were young and idiotic? When we would start fights with a few of our ill mannered family?" Obsidian Lance asked, nostalgia laced within his voice.

"Oh do I. Grand times, grand times brother. So pray tell how is your boy? I haven't seen the lad in thirteen years! I miss my nephew!" A smile cracked on Obsidian Lake's face. He stepped around with happiness about his brother's son, who he cared for since his birth.

"Well if you must know, Sombra was married four years ago and has quite the wonderful family of his own. It's good to know when I pass the throne to him, that these halls will still be filled with laughter. Now I feel old... thanks brother."

"Ah I knew it was time for you to act your age!" Obsidian Lake chuckled deeply, thinking about the years that passed by. His smile softened. "Well I must meet this lucky mare! And give her proper family welcome!"

"Oh no, you going to scare her to death with your welcome you dolt."

"Now why would I scare the bride of my favorite nephew? Isn't that grounds for banishment or something along those lines?" Obsidian Lake gave a hearty laugh at the 'horrible' fate that could await him. "So where might I find them dear brother?"

"Check the third room down the second hall in the west wing of the palace, if they're not there then courtyard." Obsidian Lance said figuring where his son could be.

"Thank you Lance."


------------------


"Ebony, would you like to play hide and seek?" Sombra asked his playful daughter, much to her joy. She nodded quickly.

"You're it daddy!" Ebony Starlight shouted in excitement at the new game. As Sombra closed his eyes, Ebony vanished from sight. Her expert skills of hiding gave her the distinct advantage over her father. He was at best, clumsy, when playing. Certainly he couldn't keep up with the boundless energy his own daughter had.

"One, two, three, four, and ten! Ready or not here I come." Sombra smiled as he began the hunt. Amethyst could only as she over saw the entire game, to make sure neither were cheating and the game was fair. She sat just feet from Ebony's hiding place while wearing a sly grin as her husband looked in all the wrong spots.

"Hello you must be Amethyst then? Lance was right Sombra did marry a beautiful mare." The new voice caused Amethyst to jump with a start. She quickly composed herself to the stranger, getting a good look at him.

"Yes I am and thank you.."

"Sorry about giving a scare, I am Obsidian Lake. Sombra's favorite uncle." Lake stated with a wide smile beaming at her. "So how does my nephew manage to find one like you, I may have to start listening to his advice then."

Amethyst felt flattered by his words, a smile creeping on her face. "Well we met in the market one day. He was such a gentlecolt, at first I didn't think he was being genuine about it, many nobles just seek a mare to conquer for a night. Not Sombra, no he asked if he would have the honor of carrying my things to my house. We started to court after that faithful day and it has been a wonderful experience ever since."

"Well I'm glad he did so well for himself, he was always a good boy when he was younger. Now I can't say he's a boy, but a good stallion."

"Uncle Lake? Uncle Lake! Ebony come out to meet your father's favorite and possibly the greatest uncle to have ever existed!" Sombra called to his daughter who still hid from him.

"Ah so you haven't forgotten this old stallion my boy! Oh the grand times we've had, your mother is still a bit cross at me for letting see the show so late." Obisdain Lake smile at the fond memories. Sombra laughed along with him. "So have you heard?"

"Heard what?"

"Well your mother and father are going to the Equestiran peace conference, and they want to bring your wife and daughter."

"What? Why?!"

"They haven't seen much of the world beyond our borders so they wanted to treat them. Think of it as a vacation for them, they will meet new races and interact with them as well."

"So what will I do? I'm not the ruling type! I just to have a good family life."

"Ah you're worrying too much Sombra my boy, I'll stay here with you so this way we aren't bored out of our minds. It will be just like when you were young!"

"Except I have a filly now."

"Well yes. But hey it will be like when we we're both younger my boy!"

Author's Note:

Hey this story is a collab between my friend Lighting Chaser and I. It was born from drunken ramblings. Hope you enjoy