• Published 29th Dec 2013
  • 1,943 Views, 306 Comments

Once Upon a Time, on an Alien Ring World - Hi World



Halo CE crossover. Follow the mane six and friends as they crash-land on Halo, and end up fighting for more than just survival.

  • ...
14
 306
 1,943

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 12: Taking Candy From an Alien Juggernaut

Finally, the fire team were leaving the hangar behind them. Fluttershy would've sighed with relief, but since they were still on board a Covenant battleship, there was nothing to be relieved about. Still, it felt good to leave that giant chamber in the past. It had been a blood bath in there. So many Ponies had lost their lives, and scenes of the bedlam were still fresh in her mind.
Just more nightmare material.

Proceeding through the purple labyrinth, Fluttershy and the others didn't bump into any more resistance. It was creepy, like the Covenant had evacuated the Truth for self destruction. She wouldn't be surprised if that's what they'd resorted to doing, what with the amount of soldiers they'd lost at the hooves of the Ponies. Or maybe she and the Ponies had cleansed the entire ship of Covenant! ... Nah, that couldn't be.

After winding through the alien corridors, the herd came upon a proximity door that slid open to reveal a large room with a round, central podium lined with holographic telemetry. A handful of veteran Elites worked at various light consoles, and one gold armoured Zealot stood, arms folded, in the centre of the podium.
"The bri-" Fluttershy was hushed as a couple of fellow soldiers covered her mouth and pulled her back.

Reversing, the team got clear of the door's sensors, allowing it to close before any of the Covenant spotted them.
Shoving the muffling hooves away, Fluttershy could finally gasp, "Twilight?! Was that the bridge?!"
"It would appear so," the AI observed. "I knew there was a room of significance behind this door, but I didn't think it would be the bridge!" In admiration, she explained, "It seems the Covenant build their bridges deep within their ships, where they'll be safe from external attack. It's clever."

"You know what else is clever?" Trixie asked, a mischievous smirk creasing her blue coated face.
"Uuhh-"
"-Taking this ship for ourselves!" With that, the Unicorn Mare charged headfirst into the bridge.
"Trixie!"

Trixie didn't listen, just galloped in through the door and skidded to a halt before the gold armoured Shipmaster and his crew.
"Get the hay off my ship!" she bellowed, striking surprise into the Elites.

Laughing menacingly, the Zealot withdrew a small, silver device from his belt and thrashed it, making a deadly blue energy sword materialise in his hand. His crimson armoured cronies turned deliberately, wielding a mixture of plasma rifles and needlers.

Just as menacing as the sword wielding Zealot, Trixie laughed and beamed up her horn. The rest of the rescue team arrived just in time to see the blue Mare use her telekinesis to send the Zealot and his troops rocketing. Concentrating, she angled her sweating blue head this way and that, smashing the alien warriors off the walls, off the floor, off the ceiling! It wasn't so much a battle as it was a game of pinball, the screeching Elites ricocheting at crazy angles around the bridge.

Eventually, all the aliens were dead; their crumpled corpses lying in puddles of purple Elite blood. However, before Twilight could call the all clear, a red armoured Grunt entered the room and spoke.
"Greetings, Shipmaster! Me here to tell you that - er - waaa!"
Noticing the Ponies, he screamed and turned to flee, but was dragged over by Trixie's magic.
Getting in the Grunt's face, Trixie purred, "I am your new Ship Mistress. I believe you have some news for me...?"

"Trixie!" came Twilight's disapproval.
Fluttershy wasn't happy either, but for different reasons.

Stuttering, the nervous little alien replied, "Oh... um... er... H-hello... Sh-ship Mistress, hehe... Uh... Me here to tell you... that... er..." Being held in the air, the poor little squeaker was shaking in his armour.
Trixie was loving it, though. "Spit it out!"
"Aah! Um... ok... Um... Truth and Reconciliation's's tracking are now online."

The whole reason Rainbow Dash had been able to fly her Pelican up to the Cruiser was because the ship's tracking systems were offline. Now that they were online, their escape plan was foiled.

Twilight called Rainbow Dash from Fluttershy's armour's coms system. "Rainbow, stay clear of the Truth and Reconciliation. The Covenant have got its tracking gear working again."
The Pelican pilot replied, "You gotta be kiddin' me! How are y'all supposed to get outa there now?!"
"Well, I can think of-"
"-Get out of here?!" exclaimed Trixie, gawping. "Why would we get out of here? We own this ship!"
"No Trixie, we don't own this ship. The Covenant are still in command here."
"Not anymore! Look at this place!" Still keeping the Grunt in her magical grasp, Trixie swept her hoof across the scene of the empty bridge and the slaughtered crew. "This is our ticket off this ring!"

Everypony stared at the blue Mare, gone out.
"Trixie, that's very nice, but-"
"-But nothing!" she grated, getting up in Fluttershy's face. "Fluttershy, be a dear and upload Twilight Sparkle into the Truth's systems."
"But... why?" Fluttershy puzzled, glancing at the alien telemetry.
"Wow," Twilight resurfaced before Trixie could answer. "What a great plan! Why didn't I think of that?"
"Because Trixie's smarter than y-"
"-Trixie, you're a genius!"
"That's what Trixie was saying before you inter-"
"-Fluttershy, do what Trixie says," ordered the AI. She sounded very excited.
Complying, the yellow Mare paced over to the central, elevated podium and replied, "Alright."

Applejack was just as confused as Fluttershy, and she joined her troops in following the yellow Mare up the command deck. Trixie dragged her new pet Grunt up there with her.
"Oh my. We Unggoy are never allowed on the comman-"
"-Be quiet!"

Scanning the holographic displays, Fluttershy asked, "Um... where do I..."
"Try that magnetic field to the lower right. You'll have to uninstall the current AI. Just knock it out."

The current Covenant AI was a cluster of stars held in position between two translucent triangles. Applejack used a front hoof to smack the orb free from its embrace like a golf ball. It hit the purple wall and flashed away into nothingness.

Now that that had been taken care of, Fluttershy could eject the Twilight chip from its nest in her chest plate. Using her mouth, she uneasily placed the tiny chip between the two pink triangles of light.

A bleeping noise ran throughout the system prior to Twilight's Alicorn avatar materialising into view on a view screen. It felt good to actually see her AI friend.
"I'm on a view screen?" the shimmering purple Alicorn puzzled. "Huh, I expected better."
"How do you feel, Twilight?"
Twilight's response was full of delight. "I feel great! There's such a wealth of information here! I can't wait to access it all! Teeheehee!" She clopped her front hooves together and beamed.

Seriously, the great and powerful Trixie asked, "Can you convince the Covenant to leave?"
"Scanning," came Twilight's reply. She made the eyes of her avatar scroll back and forth, as if reading a book. "Aha! I can! Bare with me."

As the squad waited, Fluttershy stared at the captured Grunt in Trixie's grasp. He looked back. She smiled at him. He... was wearing a breather, so she couldn't tell if he was smiling back. She hoped he was, but then why would he, after the amount of his brethren that had fallen during the war?

Suddenly, and alarm wailed throughout the entire ship, making Fluttershy jump. An automated voice boomed out over the ship wide com in Elite language.
Translated, it said, "Warning! Slip space engine has been tampered with! All personnel have ten minutes to retreat to minimum safe distance!"
Fluttershy thought the message was over, but then a new one warbled out.
"Please leave all prisoners in their cells!"

Over the wailing alarm, Fluttershy asked, "Um, Twilight? What did you just do?"
"I sent a message out around the ship, ordering the Covenant to leave." Laughing, she added, "They think the slip space engine's gonna blow! Hahahaha!"
Everypony else laughed along with the AI.

"Ok, I'm locking the doors to the bridge so no Covies can disturb us on their way out."
Whilst Twilight was saying that, a synthesised grunt was heard coming from the chamber's four doors, signifying their locking.

A second screen flickered into existence next to Twilight's avatar and cycled through the Truth and Reconciliation's on board cameras. Covenant could be seen hurrying through corridors, jumping down the grav lift, boarding Spirit drop ships. The equine hijackers watched on in astonishment as the Truth and Reconciliation gradually became theirs.

During the ten minute wait, Twilight called Rainbow once more and told her, "Hey Rainbow, guess what."
"What? This better be good news."
"The Truth and Reconciliation is now a part of the UPSC fleet! How's that for good news? You can land in the hangar I'm highlighting for you."
Rainbow's response was full of disbelief. "W-wait, what?! You captured that thing?! Oh my gosh, that's awesome news! How'd ya do that?!"
"We'll explain later, now hurry up! The sooner you land in the ship, the sooner we can take off!"
"Oh, of course! On my way!"

The connection ended, and Twilight patched into one of the cameras overlooking another huge hangar. It was a different hangar to the one they'd fought through; much cleaner and calmer, and no broken down Wraith sitting on the floor. Once Rainbow's Pelican swooped into the hangar and touched down on the bottom floor, Twilight directed her to the bridge.

On the monitors, Fluttershy spied the lone, rainbow haired Pegasus fly up to the top floor and wonder through the maze of Covenant corridors.
"What's with the alarm?" the pilot perplexed, looking around.
"Oh, that's just a phony distress signal I used to evacuate the Covenant. I'll turn it off now."
And just like that, the droning alarm ceased.

Not long later, the gravity lift was sealed up, the hangar force fields intensified to stop things from entering, and the bridge doors were unlocked.

Into the bridge, Rainbow entered. "Hey guys!"
It was weird seeing her out of the Pelican and hearing her voice in person.
"Rainbow Dash!" Fluttershy beamed.
"Hello Rainbow," greeted Twilight with a big wave.
Applejack waved her hat at the pilot. "Howdy Rainbow!"
Private Derpy galloped over to Rainbow and gave her an enthusiastic hug. "Yay, Rainbow Dash!"
With straight eyebrows, Rainbow said, "Ugh, hi Derpy," unsentimentally.

Twilight, Applejack, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, all reunited, except they were missing two. One was waiting for them in the brig. The other... well, they each shared a soulful, silent cuddle in regards to the other one.

Moving on, Rainbow told, "It's great to be joining y'all for once! As much as I love flyin' my Pelican, I always wanna get in on the action!"
Applejack touched Rainbow's shoulder for a second. "Great to have ya here, RD."

Getting down to business, Twilight demanded, "Fluttershy, upload me into your armour again. We need to find Rarity and the rest of the Autumn's crew before the Covenant get suspicious. Once we've found them, we'll come back here for dust off."
"Where are we gonna go?" quizzed Rainbow, her big cerise eyes staring expectantly at Twilight.
"We'll head for base to pick up everypony else."
"And then we're going home right?" Trixie questioned with a raised eyebrow, still levitating the veteran Grunt. "... Right?... Back to Equestria?"
There was a long pause before Twilight said, "... Well... I guess so."
Closing her eyes and smiling, Trixie mouthed the word "good."

Quickly, Fluttershy retrieved Twilight and reinstalled her in her armour. She felt that icy sensation again as the AI made herself at home.

"Everypony, stay here. Fluttershy, Applejack, Rainbow Dash and I will search for the Captain."
"Yes, Twilight!" the herd answered in unison.
Trixie glowered evilly in her Grunt's face with a smirk, making him whimper.

All together, the three Ponies and one AI left the bridge.

Trotting through the purple corridors, the friends conversed with each other.
"So... what do you think this ring world is?" started Rainbow.
"Oh, I have no idea."
"I reckon it's some sorta farm."
"A farm, AJ?"
"Yeah. This ring would be a great place to grow food n' raise cattle. I wouldn't be surprised if this was some great, intergalactic farm where all the different types o' aliens come to, y'know, do farm stuff."
"If this ring were a farm, how come we haven't encountered any farms yet?"
"I dunno. Maybe we're lookin' in the wrong places."
"This is a big ring world after all."
"Oh Twilight, don't tell me you think this is a farm too!"
"I don't think it's a farm. I'm just not ruling it out."
"What do you think it is, Twilight?"
"It's alien, so the possibilities are endless. It could be a play ground, or a training ground, or, y'know, just a home."
"This sure would be one fancy shmancy home."
"Or it could be a ring that goes on the finger of some big, giant alien."
"Giant alien?"
"Ok, I gotta stop you there. There is no alien big enough to wear a ring this size around their finger."
"You don't know that! There's lot of life out there in the universe!"
"Yeah, we found it already. It's called the Covenant."
"You ever think there might be more life out there besides the Covenant?"
"I gotta tell ya, this conversation's gettin' pretty deep for me now."
"Me too, and the giant aliens scare me."
"There are no giant aliens!"
"If there is other life out there besides the Covenant, I sure hope they take our side."
"Me too."

Following their trot along conversations, the three Ponies soon arrived at one of many Covenant brigs. The sizable chamber was constructed of the usual purple metal and featured two support columns. At the end of the long room, a short platform was situated with a control panel upon it. Prison cells lined each side of the room, Ponies laying inside. Instead of bars, the cell doors were made out of the same force fields that made up the hangar doors.

"Hello, everypony!" cheered Rainbow out loud. "We're here to rescue you!"
Overjoyed, the POWs whooped and jumped up and down.
"Woohoo!"
"Yeah!"
"Oh, thank you!"

Making their way to the controls, the three musketeers trotted past the captured bridge crew. They checked each of the eight cells on their way, but none of the super happy Ponies was Rarity.

One of the last cells they walked by contained an Earth Pony Mare who stood on hind legs and pushed her face against the force field.
"Hi, Rainbow Dash! Hi, Applejack! Hi, Fluttershy! Did you miss me?!"
Fluttershy couldn't believe her eyes. She stared at the fluffy pink Pony, jaw dropped. Applejack and Rainbow Dash were just as shocked.
"Pinkie Pie?!" they all shouted, minds officially blown.
Pinkie grinned. "Yep, that's me!"

Running up to her cell, Fluttershy placed her hooves over Pinkie's on the other side of the force field.
"Oh, Pinkie! I'm so glad you're ok! I thought we'd lost you!"
Pinkie laughed, "Me?! Lost?! Hahahaha! Could you imagine?!"
"We did imagine!" Twilight joined in. "Quick, Fluttershy, release them!"
"Oh, of course!"

Hurriedly, Fluttershy galloped over to the controls and worked with Twilight to open the cells. After interacting with a holographic slider, the force fields faded away.

"Yipee!" whistled Pinkie, flying out of her cell like a rocket from a launcher and tackling Applejack and Rainbow to the ground with a huge, suffocating hug.
The other captives exited their cells as well, full of delight.

Tearing up, Applejack croaked, "Oh, Pinkie Pie, I just can't tell ya how happy I am to know that yer safe."
"Me too," added Rainbow, her eyes shimmering.
Fluttershy joined them, and together, they shared a lengthy group hug. The rest of the Ponies watched on, moved.

After a while, Pinkie asked, "Hey, where's Rarity?"
"We're looking for her now," Twilight informed, then interrogated, "Do you know where she's being held?"
"I have no idea," came Pinkie's response.
The AI wasn't fazed. "Not to worry; I can still track her neural interface."
"Alright then, let's save the Captain!" Rainbow bellowed as she took to her wings, motivating the rest of the Ponies.

Exploring the Covenant ship's corridors, the soon to be complete circle of friends lead the way, the other prisoners following close behind them.
"Where are all the Covenant?" one restless Mare inquired, her eyes scanning the area.
Rainbow called back, "Oh yeah, we forgot to mention: Welcome to your new base!"

"Whaaaa...!" yawped Pinkie, boggled.
"Hehe, you heard."
Twilight began describing the situation to Pinkie, loud enough so that everypony could hear. "We came here for Rarity and the bridge crew, and also you, although we didn't know you were here. On our way to the brig, we stumbled into the ship's bridge. Trixie is waiting there. It was her idea to take the ship. You all heard the alarm, right? That was just a ruse to get the Covenant to leave."
"Oh, so the slip space engines aren't gonna blow? Phew!"
"Wait, how do you know what the message said?" Applejack interrogated.
"I guessed it," revealed Pinkie with a cheesy grin.

Rainbow resurrected their previous discussion. "So , Pinkie, what do you think this ring world is?"
"Uh, duh, obviously it's a giant hoola-hoop!"
"A giant hoola-hoop for who?"
"Don't say giant aliens - don't say giant aliens - don't say giant aliens-"
"-For me!"
"Phew... Wait, what?"
"Ahahaha! Pinkie, how are you gonna hoola this hoop?"
"Just watch me." Pinkie reared up and began swinging her hips, as if hoola-hooping.
Everypony else paused and looked at her in bafflement.
"... Twilight, is anything happening to the ring world?"
"Well if something is happening, the Covenant aren't talking about it."
"In other words; nothin'."
"D'oh! It works better when I'm in the middle. Hey, Rainbow, y'think you can drop me off there?"
"I don't think so, Pinkie."
"We've lost you enough times."
And it's so great to have you back.

Not long later, the herd arrived at a second brig.
"Rarity's signal is strong. She must be in here," theorised Twilight.

"Hello?!" Rainbow Dash squawked, her voice echoing through the cold brig.
"Hello?" came a responding voice that wasn't Rarity's.
One of the other Ponies recognised it though. "Lyra!"
"Bon Bon?!"

As those two had their moment, AJ rang around the chamber, "Rarity! Ya here?!"
"Yoohoo!" came a reply from further back.
That definitely sounded like Rarity.

The friends galloped over to the cell that emitted the "yoohoo," and found Captain Rarity laying on her side before them, a pleasant smile on her white face.
"Rarity! Oh, I'm so happy to see you!" stated the yellow Pegasus. "Bare with me." She ran off to open the doors.

Once the force fields had vanished, she joined her friends inside the cell and smothered Rarity with a humongous group hug.
"Ooh, be careful darlings," the Mare winced. "I'm a little sore after the Covenant interrogations."

Her luscious purple Mane and tail were frazzled, and she had bags under her eyes. Scuff marks ruined her pristine white coat, along with a few blood stains. Her lips were parched; nothing to drink.

Kindly, Fluttershy offered her the remainder of her water.
"Thank you, Fluttershy," the Captain gratified, accepting the canteen and taking sweet little sips. "Is Twilight still with you?"
The answer she sought buzzed from Fluttershy's speakers. "Right here."
"Oh good. Excellent work, Fluttershy. I knew we could count on you."

Fluttershy wasn't too sure. She was still a hopeless Mare in her mind. If anything, Twilight was the one protecting her.
Nether the less, Fluttershy said, "Thanks," and smiled at the Unicorn.

Moving on, Rarity demanded, "Twilight, what's the... um... word I'm looking for?"
"Status?"
"Status - yes."
"Lieutenant Commander Zecora and her team have set up base atop a butte in the desert."
"Lovely."
"However, the Truth and Reconciliation is under our full control!"
Rarity raised an eyebrow. "The... what...?"
"The Truth and Reconciliation: This ship we're on now."
Rarity blinked, mind numbed. "... Ooohh! You captured this ship?! Oh my gosh, this is amazing news! We have a ride home!"
The celebrations were tremendous.

"Ponies," Rarity put on her "let's get down to business" face. "Take me to the bridge."

Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. The circle of friends was complete, inside a stolen Covenant CCS class battle Cruiser of all places.

Trotting merrily through the corridors with the bridge crew in tow, the six friends gossiped.

Giggling, Pinkie Pie howled, "Hey Rarity! You'll never guess what! Hehahaha!" snort, "Our friends thought they'd lost me forever! Hahaha! Can you believe it?!"
"Is this true?"
"Well, I heard it from Fluttershy n' Twilight," told Applejack.
"And I heard it from Applejack and Fluttershy and Twilight," Rainbow informed.

Twilight gave the explanation. "Fluttershy and I saw Pinkie get left behind on the Autumn. All the lifeboats had been ejected, save for lifeboat number one that I had on reserve for you and the bridge crew. There was no way she could've made it all the way back there in time."
"Well she did!" revealed Rarity. "Pinkie and I rode the same lifeboat to the surface, but as soon as we landed, we were captured by those icky Covenant!" She shuddered, grossed out by the aliens.

"Well all that matters is that you're both safe," Twilight stated warmly, Fluttershy nodding in agreement.
Hovering along, Rainbow exclaimed, "And now that we have a ship; we can head on home!"

Home... Fluttershy liked the sound of that. She couldn't wait to leave the ring and land her hooves on good old Equestrian sod.

She was getting thirsty, and she had no water left. Hopefully she would get to refill her canteen when they picked up the rest of the survivors from the makeshift base.

Something was on her mind, so she spoke up, "Um, Rarity?"
"Yah?"
"You said the Covenant interrogated you."
"Oh, yes, I did say that."
"What about?"
"Are you ok?"
"You didn't give them Equestria's location, did you?"
"Oh, of course not, Rainbow Dash, don't be silly. I didn't give them anything... Well, except for headaches of course, teeheehee!"
"Ya sure about that, Rare?"
"Girls, please, you know I would never put Equestria in danger. You have no need to worry, really."
"How did you avoid telling them? I doubt I'd've lasted ten minutes with those aliens."
Everypony glared at Fluttershy.
"Oh, sorry."
"Every time they asked me something I didn't want to answer, I just wailed and moaned until they gave up. Although sometimes, when they gave up... it hurt."
The rest of the mane six looked at Rarity with worried expressions.
"But it was totally worth it. For Equestria, haha!"
"... Ok, now I'm worried."
"I was already worried."
"Girls, I'm serious, I didn't tell them anything."
"We're worried about you! Sounds like they really put you through heck!"
"Yah, they did, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. They wanted to keep me alive, so they couldn't give me their worst. For if they did, I fear I would not be standing here right now."
"You don't have any serious injuries, do you?"
"Oh, no. If I did, I'm sure I'd be aware."
"Well, alright. But I'm gonna have you examined by a proper doctor, just to be safe."
"Ugh, if you insist, Twilight."

Entering the Cruiser's bridge, the Ponies gazed around at the glistening Covenant architecture and the dead Covenant bridge crew. The rest of the rescue team were sat around waiting for them, and as soon as they noticed the Captain, they jumped for joy. Except for Trixie of course: She sat in the centre of the elevated podium and shared a conversation with the red armoured Grunt she'd kidnapped. No longer under her spell, the defenceless little biped sat and talked, quaking with unease.

"I'm here!" sang Rarity, delighted to be back.

Using her own initiative, Fluttershy made her way up the podium and reinstalled Twilight in the Truth. On the same screen as before, Princess Twilight's avatar appeared with a smiley face.

"Ok everypony, listen up!" she bawled. "I want the bridge crew to report to their assigned stations!"
Miniature view screens fizzled into existence over each station with written titles and instructions, courtesy of the AI.
As the bridge crew murmured, unsure of flying a Covenant Cruiser, Twilight stated, "We're going to pick up the rest of the survivors at a captured alien facility. I'll put the co-ordinates up on the navigator's screen. Once we have them , I'll teach you all how to initiate the ship's slip space drive so we can make a jump for home! For Equestria!"

A round of celebrations echoed around the chamber as the crew ran over to the various stations atop the podium. They each gave Trixie and her pet puzzled glances, and Trixie retaliated by scowling back.

Captain Rarity stood proud in the centre of the podium, next to the blue Unicorn and her Grunt.
Bewildered, she implored, "Pray tell, Trixie; what are you doing with that vile creature?"
The Grunt was offended. "Hey!"
"This is Trixie's new assistant. His name is Babs."
"Actually, my name Pubab."
"Well it's Babs now, so shut up!" Trixie snapped.
The squeaky Grunt cowered. "Waa! Yes Ship Mistress! Please no hurt Pubab - oh, er, me mean Babs."

Perplexed, Rarity questioned, "Ship Mistress? ... You're not the Ship Mistress - I am!"
Irritated, Trixie argued, "No! Trixie found him first! Trixie stole this ship!"
"And Rarity out ranks Trixie."

At that moment, the entire ship lurched. The deck swayed and some of the Ponies fell over. Pinkie Pie rolled around like an out of control ball, giggling as she did so. The bridge crew worked hard to get the hang of the alien controls, manoeuvring the nine million, six hundred thousand tonne space craft up and away from the desert plateau.
"Well done, Ponies! Keep this up!" supported the AI.

Fluttershy was standing by Twilight's terminal and watched on as Rarity and Trixie continued their quarrel. Rainbow and Applejack had come up to watch the show too.

"As Captain, I order you to throw that thing over board," Rarity stomped her hoof, eliciting a yelp from the Grunt.
"Trixie worked hard to rescue you. Isn't she entitled to little reward?" countered the crafty Unicorn.
Twilight interjected, her expression meaning business. "Trixie! Rarity and I are both ordering you to get rid of that Grunt. The Covenant are nothing but trouble."

Speaking up, Babs the Grunt squeaked, "But if you get rid me off ship, you not know where treasure are buried."
"Treasure?" Trixie, Rarity and Twilight implored.
That little veteran Grunt nodded. "Yes. In exchange for life, me tell you where treasure are buried."
Rarity and Trixie scratched their chins thoughtfully.

Butting in, Rainbow bawled, "Hey! I thought we were going back home!"
"... Rainbow's right," Twilight agreed. "Once we have the other survivors, we are..." she trailed off, the purple eyes of her avatar scanning whatever information she was accessing. "Wait..."
"We are what?" Derpy sounded.

Bringing the Grunt debate to a pause, the Ponies looked up at the confused AI.
Applejack raised a hoof. "Uh, Twilight? Something wrong?"
Pinkie rolled up beside AJ in a pink flash and laughed upon seeing the Grunt.

Twilight read on, muttering to herself. "... Holy light... ... Cleanse the galaxy? ... ... Halo... ... Upon activating the holy ring, we shall wipe out our greatest foe!"
"What does that mean?" quizzed the boggled Fluttershy.
"... Oh, oh no. We can't leave this ring!"
All the equines in the bridge collectively shouted, "What?!"

And so the lesson began. "This ring world is called "Halo," and it is a weapon. A weapon of vast, unimaginable power!"
"Like Trixie?" the blue Unicorn chipped in.
"It was built over one hundred thousand years ago by an ancient race of beings called "the Forerunners." The Covenant worship these guys, and the holy relics they have left behind, like Halo."
In the background, Babs whispered, "Forerunners be praised."
"The Covenant believe they can wipe their greatest foe from existence by firing Halo."

Frightened by the news, Fluttershy asked, "And who is their greatest foe?"
"Who do you think?"
The yellow Pegasus gulped.
"Do the Covenant even have any other foes?" Applejack raised.
"Gosh, I could never have too many foes!" Pinkie made known. "I mean friends! Friends! Hahaha! But that has nothing to do with anything, so..."

Shiftily, Babs darted his eyes side to side, twiddling his scaly thumbs.

The Truth and Reconciliation swayed as she sliced through crosswinds like a knife.

Facing each of her friends, Applejack searched for ideas. "Well what are we gonna do, y'all?"
Twilight read on through the Covenant database. "The Covenant are looking for Halo's control room. They haven't found it, but not long ago, they did find something that they're calling "the silent cartographer." They say it's a map room that will show them the location of Halo's control centre."

"Oh no! This is bad!" panicked Rarity, her hooves spreading across the deck. "If the Covenant get to Halo's control room... We're all doo-hoo-hoo-hoomed!"
AJ leaned in and whispered, "Uh, Rarity? Yer the Captain, remember?"
"Oh. Of course." Rarity eyed her troops, who stared at her through worried eyes. "Uh, don't panic, everypony. My friends and I are in full control of the situation, ahahahaha!"
Trixie rolled her eyes. "Real convincing."

"Well then what are we waitin' for?!" yelled Rainbow, taking to her wings. "Let's pick up the other soldiers and beat those sorry Covenant to Halo's control room!" Whizzing over to a Stallion working at a station, she demanded, "Come on, pilot! Double time!"
"Uh, I'm not the pilot."

"It's not as simple as that, Rainbow," Twilight informed, bringing out the leash. "This ship is our base now, and it's our only way back home. It is not expendable."
The Rainbow haired Mare came to a landing and puzzled, "What does that mean?"
"It means that if we're gonna make it off this ring world alive, we're going to have to hide the Truth and Reconciliation from the Covenant. No doubt they'll come looking for it."

"And how are we supposed to hide this thing?! It's, like, a million miles long or something!"
"Easy. Once we've picked up the other survivors, I'll update the co-ordinates to take us to a mountain range. It's quite stormy there; lots of clouds. You and the other Pegasi can conceal the Truth within those clouds."

Dumbfounded, Rainbow gawped, "... That... is actually a really good idea."
"I know!" Rarity joined in.
"Thanks. I suggest you all prepare for the mission ahead. Once the Truth and Reconciliation is concealed, I want Rainbow and one other Pelican pilot to transport me, Fluttershy, Pinkie and Applejack to this "silent cartographer." Once we have the location of Halo's control room, we are to be flown there immediately, hopefully before the Covenant. Trixie and her squad will meet us there."

Fluttershy sighed and slumped to the purple deck. She'd felt one hundred per cent sure they were going to make a jump for Equestria, but now they had to stay?! To fight more Covies?! The fate of the entire Pony race on their shoulders?! Was this nightmare ever going to end?

She couldn't take it anymore, and she sulked on the deck. The faces around her looked on in sorrow.
"Wow. That Pony sad," chirped the high-pitched little Grunt by Trixie's side, pointing at Fluttershy.

Exhaling, Rarity knelt by the snivelling Pegasus. "Oh I am dreadfully sorry, my dear Fluttershy. But you heard Twilight. We must do this for the billions of Ponies back home."
"If there were any other way, we'd take it. But we're all stuck here now, and we're stuck in it together," boosted Applejack, walking to the shy's side.
"Yeah, Fluttershy! You got this," Pinkie Pie smirked.
Rainbow Dash hovered over and winked. "And with me on your side, what could possibly go wrong?!"

Comforting the glum Pegasus, the five Ponies shared a cosy group hug.

Twilight; "You've gotten me this far, Fluttershy. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be here. We wouldn't have this ship... Don't worry, I'll be with you every step of the way."
Every step of the way.

Sniffling and wiping her eyes, Fluttershy thought about speaking, couldn't decide on the right words to say, and instead, just brought her friends back in for another cuddle.

Sitting on her haunches and folding her forelegs, Trixie smiled at the group of friends, until her captured Grunt nudged her in the side.
Whispering in her ear, Babs inquired, "So... since you stay now, you want know about treasure?"
The great and powerful Trixie shook her head, her pale blue mane swishing back and forth.

*****

During the flight, Fluttershy had found a Covenant barracks, complete with stupendously comfy beds and an en suite bathroom with running water. She was amazed by the shiny purple taps and their holographic handles, and the basin she used to wash herself. The water did have a slight metallic tang to it though, but who was she to complain? Water was water.

Of course washing herself and getting into bed meant taking off her armour. Forgetting she was a Pegasus, it felt sooo good to finally spread her beautiful wings. She exercised them a little, hovering off the deck, enjoying her own ability of flight.

She also got to see her own cutie mark; something she hadn't seen since she was in cryo two on the Filly of Autumn. She loved the butterflies on her flanks, and she smiled at them.

She had just pulled a poufy pink duvet over herself in one of the Covenant beds when Captain Rarity burst in.
"Fluttershy darling, are you awake?"
Rolling over to face her friend, the yellow Mare yawned and replied, "No."
The two Mares giggled.

Approaching Fluttershy, Rarity informed, "I found the Shipmaster's bed chambers, just down the hall. I was going to designate it as my bedroom, but I figured you deserved it more."
Touched, Fluttershy said, "Oh Rarity, it's ok. These beds are actually quite comfy."

Inspecting the duvet, Rarity observed, "Yes, the Covenant really do have style... But I assure you, the Shipmaster's bed is at least a million times better!"
Huddling up to the duvet, Fluttershy voiced, "That sounds nice, but it's ok, I'll just-"
"-Fluttershy. I am not taking no for an answer. Now I insist that you get some sleep in the Shipmaster's room." Rarity stomped a hoof and grinned at Fluttershy.

Rolling out of bed and getting her things, Fluttershy expressed, "Oh, well if you insist, Rarity. Thank you."
"No problem at all my dear." The purple maned Unicorn helped her with her belongings and walked out of the barracks. "This way."

Once at the Shipmaster's quarters, Fluttershy gazed around at the usual purple walls and a huge, rectangular bed in the centre of the room.
"Beautiful isn't it? Despite their brutishness, the Covenant are turning my eyes positively green with envy. All this luscious pink and purple."
"Normally I'd agree with you, but after what the Covenant have done, I don't think I'll ever look at the colour purple in quite the same way."
"I know what you mean. Perhaps my mane can redeem it for you, ahahahaha!"
Fluttershy joined Rarity in chuckling.
"Ah, well, I must return to the bridge." With a smile, she added, "Have a nice sleep."
"Thanks, Rarity."

She was just on her way out when she remembered something.
"Also, I thought you should know that Applejack won't be joining you in your mission to the silent cartographer."
Confused, Fluttershy asked, "What? Why?"
Rarity explained, "I shall be embarking on a separate mission of my own, and I have required Applejack's assistance."

Curious as to what mission Rarity had in store for herself, Fluttershy pronounced, "Oh, ok... Not a problem... What are you doing?"
"The Grunt that Trixie captured told us of the most amazing treasure on this ring. Priceless, ancient, alien art and artefacts! Soon, they shall be ours!"
"Oh, I see," Fluttershy sighed. She then warmed up and giggled, "Hm-hm. Good luck with your little treasure hunt."
"And good luck with finding Halo's control room."
The two Ponies shared a glance before Rarity bid her farewell and trotted away.

Into the Shipmaster's bed she climbed. Rarity was right; it was a million times comfier than the beds in the barracks. Curled up under the duvet, she closed her eyes and drifted into the land slumber.

*****

Dawn broke over Halo as the Truth and Reconciliation soared over a gigantic patch of murky grey storm clouds. The sleek purple space ship reared up in deceleration and shuddered with the resistance. Dropping down below the clouds, things became windy, and the three and a bit kilometre long vessel rocked about violently in the storm. Rain pelted off its smooth purple body as it became obscured in the clouds. There was no need for the Pegasi to move the clouds over the ship at the moment, but if the storm ever decided to move, they would be called upon.

As the Truth's anchor was engaged, the ship came to the steadiest stand still it was capable of in the strong winds and torrential rain.

Inside the Covenant craft, things were much less extreme. It was warm, and the swaying of the vehicle was quite relaxing. Zecora and the rest of the survivors had been picked up, and the Ponies worked hard to clean the ship's interior following the blood bath that the rescue team had been through to find the Captain.

It was funny; when Lieutenant Commander Zecora saw the Covenant Cruiser listing towards them, she and the soldiers had gone berserk with panic. When they heard the voices of Twilight and Rarity on the commandeered vessel, they couldn't believe the astounding feat that had been accomplished.

All was silent in the Shipmaster's bed chambers as Fluttershy slept easy, snuggled up in the warm, toasty sheets.

Author's Note:

USE MEDIUM DARK BACKGROUND.

7th May 2014. 7166 words. That's the record to beat. Will any chapter top that amount?

So yeah, the Ponies hijacked the Truth and Reconciliation. The solution to all of Halo CE's plot holes. You expectin' that? Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Last chapter of Truth and Reconciliation. Time for the question. We already know where Pinkie Pie is. She alive! You all saw that coming, right? But what about Berry Punch? Her disappearance is still a mystery. Oh well, new mission next week, maybe she'll return then.

7th September 2014 Publishing day. I spent ages editing this. Time to update the cover art too.

PreviousChapters Next