• Published 14th Mar 2012
  • 2,747 Views, 108 Comments

A Second Too Late - Thunder Seethe



HiE and possible PiE (human in equestria, pony in earth.)

  • ...
5
 108
 2,747

Could've been better

Hey guys, I hopefully will be getting my Saturday Writing marathon going on as I promised, it may just come a little later for some of you. I stayed up the whole night with 1 hour of rest (I actually just got up) and whenever I crash, I'll wake up maybe around 3:00 on my time. So expect late updates throughout the next chapter. I'm running on slow internet so do please send me an email on what you'll want to be seeing in the next few chapters. email me at: thunderseethe@gmail.com

"Hey, this is Sean."

"Oh hey! What's up? Kinda late haha!"

"Yea... Look, we need to talk, but I can't come over at the same time. Its too much to explain and you'll need to trust me on this. Do you trust me?" I have no idea how this is going to work out, but I'll make it work out. It has to be done, and its for the best anyway.

"Wha-whats going on Sean?" Fuuuu...... I can't do this, I mean I can, but... I can't all the same. She's so nice, and has been taken care of me. She doesn't know of the incident, I could bring that up, tell her everything that has happened, and possibly make her break up with me.

"Ok, first you should know that... you know my friend Shayne yea?"

"The guy with the weird eyes? I know him, why?" I hate it when people call shayne weird, sure he has different eyes but doesn't that make us weird to him?

"Yea... well I went to his college a week back, did you see the news?" It was probably on. No way to tell for sure though, but its worth a shot, it could save me from explaining the horrible disaster. Although one is about to break lose.

"As a matter of fact I did!" Well I'll be... "They mentioned some guy went through the fire and saved 17 lives! He must be phyco or something to do that, I mean go into a blazing building, grab people and go out set them down and go back in. Its like going through hell and back for NO REASON!" True... but it wasn't for nothing. "The news reporter said that his name will remain anonymous, but his act of heroism will be shown throughout the world, and they hope people will try and follow his actions or show inspiration from it. That guy... is a total maniac!" Ouch.

"Well I should tell you, that the maniac was me. I saved 16 lives, and my bro." She probably new who I meant by 'bro'.

"What!? Oh my god! I'm sorry, if I had knew-Oh Sean! Wha-why would you-WHY WOULD YOU RISK YOUR LIFE WHEN YOU HAD A LIFE OF YOUR OWN TO COME BACK TO!" Whoa... this could be a good thing, so why am I hurting so much.

"BECAUSE THEY HAD LIVES TOO. SAVING 2 OF THEM IS STILL 1 OF ME, SO HAVING THE CHANCE TO GO BACK IN THERE TO GET MORE PEOPLE SO THEY CAN GO BACK TO THEIR FAMILIES AND HAVE A WONDERFUL LIFE SEEMED LIKE THE IDEAL THING TO DO AT THE TIME! IT WAS ALSO MOST HUMANE OF ME TO DO THAT! THERE WERE PEOPLE SCREAMING FOR MOTHER AND PA! HOW CAN I JUST LEAVE AND LIVE WITH MYSELF 'KNOWING' THAT I COULD'VE SAVED AT LEAST 2 OF THEM WHICH IS WORTH WAY MORE THAN 1 OF ME! SAVING THE 16 WAS JUST BECAUSE I NEEDED TO! SAYING THAT ONLY A MANIAC WOULD RISK THE LIVES OF OTHERS IS LIKE SAYING THE MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WHO DIED FOR US IN ALL THESE WARS ARE MORE THAN MANIACS! THEY'RE TRYING TO WIN A LOTTERY! THEY DON'T KNOW IF THEY'LL HAVE A CHANCE TO HELP, BUT THEY JOIN ANYWAY BECAUSE THEY MIGHT AS WELL TRY! Look. I'm sorry for ranting and getting pissed. Its just you have to see my side of the story here. I didn't do this to become a hero, or famous, the only thing running through my mind was saving them. They had lives to go to, even if I couldn't save all of them... I may as well try and save at least 2 and my bro."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"..."

We exchanged silences over the phone, until it was around 8:15. I was about to speak up until I relized that she hung up. I probably didn't notice this because so much was running through my head, how could she think I was being a maniac for saving peoples lives? Isn't that what fire fighters do too? Even though they were a second too late 'so to speak' they came anyway expecting to save people. Except the difference is they do it for a living, and I did it because I was already there.
Hey... uhm that wasn't very pleasent now was it?

"Couldn't say it could've been better, but hey. It got the job done right, and needless to say, she probably NEVER wants to see me again. Do I have the ok to go over to your universe?"

Give it more time. I'm sorry to say but the leaders in our dimension are quite busy and can't spend time making a new body.

"Well... does that mean I did all of this for nothing?" Crap.

Well not necessarily... you would've had to gone through this sooner or later, and its better that you've gone through it now while you still have it in you. Am I right?

"Yes, I suppose so. Anyway, about when will this take place?"

Give me a month. Theres no telling when this 'event' will take place. Just enjoy the rest of your time here, I'm not sure if there's a way back. I haven't mastered any spell to send you back here temporarily. So you're either here to stay or leave, just give me a moment.

"Alright, thanks I guess... How's Shayne?"

Still resting on the hostpital bed, its only been a few hours here ya know. he was chuckling as his voice slowly dissapated into what I assume his universe. When he was gone, I decided to talk to my family about what just happened between me and Tasha. They're probably going to react violently-at least my dad will, and my mom will just get angry. I saw Tasha's side of the story too, like why she called me a maniac or anyone who would, be a maniac. The average person would probably just call the police, ambulance, and fire fighters at times like this. I did, but I just decided to do more than that if they should be late. Glad I did that or else 17 more lives would've been accounted for on the death list.

A requiem mass shall be played for them, at least thats what I've heard. I'm glad nobody knows about what I did, except for my family and Tasha, this way nobody will be calling me 'hero' or 'that guy who saved people' or giving me discounts at store and calling me hero when I walk out. I want to be normal as before, its bad enough Tasha hates me and I still have to live with it for a few more days.

The ceremony for the deceased would be held at the college, I attended of course hoping nobody would recognize me. Before they started the song peice the composer wanted the hero to stand if he's here. "Hero, would you please stand amongst us? Don't fear, we won't crowed you with praise. We just have the families here of the ones who you've saved and kept alive today. They are the ones who wish to give thanks and praise for saving their lives."

I want to stand for my own self esteem and pride, but remaining humble would be best. I will let their families know I did it, since its their wish. I won't do it in front of the entire thousands of people who came though. "Fair enough," the composure said turning to his symphonic orchestra. "Lets begin shall we?"

The music then started playing. It was just fantastic! I haven't really been one for techno or dubstep, I've always been the one for 'actual' instrumental stuff. The same goes with Shayne, he enjoys orchestra to be exact, hsi favorite instrument in orchestra would be the cello, as he told me many times before. The thing is though, he mentioned that cello by itself wouldn't do so well, cello is a great instrument, but nothings good without backup. Violin makes the perfect harmonics to make the Cello sound beautiful, you can add drums if you want, but the perfect combo for him is the violin and cello. He enjoys songs that are composed like so. I for one enjoy the Violin by itself, I don't know why exactly because I'm not as talented as Shayne, but it gives me a nice ring to my ear when I hear a violin play.

The requiem mass finished and it was time for the ceremony. We all walked over and placed flowers on the burnt rubble of the what used to be college. We said our words, and walked away for the next person to speak. When I walked up to the stage, I mentioned everything. It was a total screw up, but I felt that if I were to mention it, now will be the best time. "Look, don't call me hero or give me special treatment when I say this, but I've contemplated enough and gave in. I don't want any looks of a different person when you see me. Just know I'm around. Acknowledge me, but don't praise me. I was here just to talk to a old frie-brother of mine. He was in the dorm room #516, so yes. The fifth floor of the building before it begane to combust." Everyone was silent intentivly listening. I was glad they were listening but am still afraid of their reaction when I'm over this. "So we caught up after not seeing eachother for several years. He changed a lot, believe me" I chuckled, and continued. "After it was about 10:00 he told me he had a final exam to catch up on, the next day around 7:00. So I said my good byes and left. When I got out of the building, I heard gunshots, and finally, the explosion. My breath did get knocked out of me and my first reaction was to run to my car. I regret this fully, that time could've been used later. As I was about to get it and call 911 I figured they'll be late to the scene. I don't know what told me this but I'm forever grateful it did. I yanked the keys out and called 911 as I was running into the blazing building, the fire was raging onto the different floors as it left a big hole on one of the sides of the building. It starting spreading towards the entire structure which made me run faster and faster. The sky was slowly turning red and orange from the ignited building, when I got in the building I heard screaming of what I assume to be victims. I had no time to think of it. But I ran toward my friends room and saw a pipe in his right shoulder. There was already a puddle of blood around him, and he passed out."
Some people were gawking as if they don't believe me. It doesn't matter, this has to be shared before I leave. This is for the parents who lost their child because I was too slow. To weak. To late to save any more.

"I grabbed him and slung him across my shoulder, and ran out the building. I placed him on my car and ran back in thinking of the others, screaming for mom and pa. I swear that was the only words I could hear, Mom... and Pa... it hurts me to think of it, but I should've saved THEM first. I knew where they were in terms of direction but I stupidly chose random directions and randomly choose rooms like a guy from the lottery picking tickets even though HE KNEW which one was his ticket. But yet, chose to go randomly. I got to the first room to see a girl lying dead on the floor burnt all over. There was nothing I could do, and I don't regret doing this. But I walked over to her dead body and said, 'It'll be over soon.' and I ran out of the room. I did that for every person I found lying dead on the ground. I felt they should at least be respected, for they had been innocent and just trying to gain their place in life. The next room I found habited was a girl lying on her bed unconcious, I picked her up ran through the blazing fire and went to the next room. Then the next. And next. And next. eventually I had made 8 trips, bringing 2 people per trip. As I ran back toward the building... the girl who was screaming for mom and pa ALL THIS TIME! She made a final scream... and the building collapsed. Silence took hold."

I was there standing looking at the podium, long enough to realize it was pine wood, and the engravings on it helped me tell it was more than a few years old. Until I heard people talking amongst themselves and slowly I heard foot steps on the stage, it was getting closer to me, until I could hear what sounded like a stampede on the stage. Before I knew it, I was in the middle of a big group hug. Neither of them knew me, but they knew me for what I did. Its not 'special treatment' but it felt nice to be comforted by people who don't even know me well. Its a kind act that I know for a fact, Shayne hasn't recieved.

Shaynes POV

Well, today should be the day I get out. I awoke in the hostpital again, so I just waited until I got the notice that I'm free to go. I looked over and saw a pine wood bookshelf. I looked to it, I loved to read just like how I enjoy computers and music and stuff. I hate to admit it, but I got good at making techno music. I hate it, but I'm good with it, I learned to play the cello, violin quite well. I'm proud of myself for that, but I'm also great with computers. Not to brag but thats what I went to college for, I only learned the violin and cello because thats my scholarship. Hey, it comes in handy though. I made some money from it, not too much, but it was for a birthday party for a fancy family and of course, classical music was their favorite. Like me, but I'm not so much for the 'I'm rich so praise me!' kind of people. I did it because of the child and the money, now that I say it, or think it... it sounds kinda cruel.

A few moments later I just picked up a book and started to read. It was called Daring Do and the Saphire Stone
or something like that. It was a rather short book, so I managed to read the entire series in about 4 hours. Don't get me wrong, I was addicted. It was a great book, and if there were to be a fan club, I may actually join! One of those, I finish this book so gimme another! Anyway the doctor came in and gave me papers with the 'ok' to finally leave this place and practice flying again. Hopefully this time I won't blow something up.

So with that, I got up, said goodbye to the kind doctors and nurses who were giving me a weird eye as I walked. Oh.. I don't have a cutie mark, I guess its weird for someone as old as me to NOT have a cutie mark. Well if they have a computer around here... maybe I can give it a shot! As I left the hostpital I saw Dashie flying around in the sky, then turned and stopped mid flight and started flying towards me at an alarming speed. She then came to a complete stop and poked me on the nose.

"Hey Thunder! You're out of the hostpital at last! Look, thanks for saving me back there, I think if you dodged me, I would have gotten really hurt."

"No problem Dashie, anytime! I guess even the best flier in Equestria does have her off days am I right?" I teased her. This made her go red in rage.

"Oh is that so! I challenge YOU to a race! First one to sugar cube corner WINS!"

"Whoa whoa whoa... This is actually my first time here, so I have no idea where that is."

"Oh, right. Maybe the race can wait." She landed next to me and started showing me around town. It was a nice small town with nice cottages. I don't think she noticed that I don't have a cutie mark. Well I'll try keep it that way for no-"BLANK FLAAANK!" and a stream of chuckling followed as I walked pass a few little girl pony's. Two to be exact.

"Who're you talkin-" Dashie stopped mid sentence when interupted by one of the little girls, this one had a cutie mark that had a diamond tiara as her cutie mark.

"Your friend, you dumb!" She chuckled as she walked away with her friend.

"Thunder, I'm sorry but they don-WHOA THEY WERE SERIOUS!" Fuck... Me...

"Yea yea... tease all you want. I just haven't found any talents of mine yet..." I was become really uneasy and I guess Dashie noticed because she quickly dropped the subject and started talking about the history of the Wonderbolts and how they became to be the best flier group. I was fairly interested, but she couldn't stop staring at me, it actually kind of bothered me. And well, I didn't say anything either because I didn't really mind it at all.

Dashies POV

I'm so glad he's finally out of that hostpital. I hate to admit it but he's actualy kinda cute! I wouldn't mind dating him, but he probably doesn't feel the same with me. OH CELESTIA! I've been staring at him throughout my whole talk about the wonderbolts! I quickly jabbed my head away and looked ahead where I was walking. Hopefully he didn't notice. Just then Twilight came from behind, "Hey guys! I'm not interupting something am I?" twilight said with a very mischievous smile on her face.

"Huh what? NO!" I think that was a bit too fast of a response because she got a chuckle out of me. I need to be more careful. Especially around him.

"Sure sure," Twilight said with a smile on her face. "anyway Thunder! How good to see you well again! I have a welcome present for you!" She brought out a book. A book... wow, way to go Twilight.

"Thank you! I wish I had something for you, but... I don't really have anything. I'm sorry." Thunder said apologetically.

"Oh no need to apologize Thunder, this is your day! If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?" Wow... Twilight... I think I see where this is going. Didn't think you were one to go after the stallions like that.

"Well, I'm about 17" Thunders about 2 years older than me, not that bad... I've seen other couples with more range distances, not that it does matter though. As long as they are about the same range and they like eachother I guess...

"Well I'm 14," Twilight stated, "and wow you're actually really big for your age!" She looked up and down on him, I was getting kinda jealous. I need to step up for myself.

"I'm 15, so I've still got lots of my prime years left! Haha! Thunder you old fart!" I think teasing him would help gain a relationship with him. Friendship wise at least. As long as he knows I'm kidding then we can be best friends! Or more.

Thunder chuckled at my statement and we began talking about the history of Ponyville, then the history of Equestria. I was completely lost when it came to the history of Equestria but, I stuck around. Eventually Twilight said she had places to be, and eventually left us to meet up with whoever. Thunder and I walked around ponyville as now he was more familiar.

"Well its getting kinda late Thunder, you wanna grab something to eat before we go to my place?"

"Sure, but uh, I don't really have any money... and how has Twilight not noticed me being a... 'blank flank'."

"I have no idea, maybe she noticed but didn't show a reaction. She usually isn't so oblivious. Also I'll pay, don't worry about it!"

"Are you sure? Thanks!" He had a grin on his face, and he gave me a nice short hug. Though for that short moment, it felt like forever. I wish it was forever.

We made it to the ponyville restraunt and he ordered whatever I got. So, to make it funny I ordered the worst thing possible thing on the menu, and some hay. So of course, he got the same thing. I told him to eat the berries first, which was the worst tasting food ever. He did so, and he literally spat it out and jugged the water down his throat. Then spat multiple times. The whole time I was laughing histerically!

"That shit was horrible!" Whoa he has quite the tongue... well I guess I do too sometimes. Its exceptable I guess. I did leave a suprise look on my face when he cussed. Usually we use terms like 'feather' and stuff. Oh well. At least he's not afraid to let his feelings out.

"AHAHA you really know how to make people have a good time now don't you Thunder!" This is a very memorable moment... taking a picture in my memory book.. done.

"Nice one... you're quite the prankster now aren't you!" he said smirking.

"Well as a matter of fact... yes." I hope he doesn't see this as a flaw, I hope it won't affect us in the future. FRIENDSHIP WISE gosh.... I'm not really thinking of that just quite yet. I just met him afterall. His looks are great though, and so far he seems like a really nice stallion.

"Thank you for the meal though." He ate the rest of the berries and didn't even gag or drink water! He just finished it up, and went straight to the hay! I gawked at his appetite. "Aren't you going to eat to Dashie? It feels awkward to be eating by myself when theres food on your side of the table." he smirked at me again.

"Well its just that... how did you... I don't even... What?"

"Ahaha trust me. I've eaten many things worst than the berries. I actually anticipated that you would make me eat something horrible, so when I immediatly tasted something bad I over reacted! Haha you should see the look on your face!" He chuckled.

"Wow, you got me! Aha you know how to give a mare a good time now don't ya Thunder?" I may have gone too far as the hinting prespective. But I may as well get the full effect so I smiled at him, and started to eat.

"Well I suppose so." We finished eating in silence. Considering the odds, today was a really great day.

Ooh things are starting to get interesting with RD and Thunder! If Twilight really does have feelings for Thunder, what will be the outcome? Will Sean ever see Shayne again?... Person to Pony wise. What about the others? What do they really feel about Thunder? And why did Celestia choose Shayne specifically to befriend the mane 6? Time will tell. Stick around for next time? More updates comming tomorrow on the marathon!