• Published 4th Jan 2014
  • 1,083 Views, 41 Comments

Dream On: Vinyl and Tavi's Private Weblog - Koiyuki



Separated by their hectic work schedules, the two long time friends decided to start up a blog meant for their eyes only. What will they learn about each other's hopes, dreams, fears? Will they find out something deeper?

  • ...
4
 41
 1,083

Vinyl, on Finding a Super Expensive Piece of Amazing

So I was talking to someone I spar with at the gym, when she brings up my best friend, and how I feel like I don't chat with her as much as I should. My friend and I both keep mega packed schedules, so it ain't often we get to shoot the breeze, like we did back in the day. My sparring partner, who I'll refer to as The Egghead, then suggested my friend and I could either write letters to each other, or start private blogs about the stuff we want each other to know. I thought it was kinda cool to be able to keep that sorta junk in one place, but before I could do anything, she took me aside, and told me this

"If someone wants to see it bad enough, they will find a way to get through whatever security measures you set up."

After we chewed over the deets, we agreed to the blog idea, which brings me to now, where I'm sitting at my laptop remembering how we first met.

During one of my bike cruises back in the day, I found a small, black portable fun machine just lying around under some tree in the park near my family's old place. Wasn't just any ol' portable fun machine, either! When I saw the curved corners and the bell pepper with a bite taken out of it on the back, I knew it was the then current generation of the iPlayer, the portable fun machine that lets you play music, watch videos, use tons of awesome apps, and a whole lotta other stuff, too(shoot, part of this was written on a current gen one I keep with me for long trips, and junk!). After seeing all the dancing shadow ads for them on TV, I wanted one so bucking bad, but between my folks struggling to keep up with bills and me taking side gigs to help 'em out, I didn't think any of us could ever foot the 300 bit price tag. The second I saw it, I knew it was too hot not to get nabbed, so I pocketed it myself, and thought about what I'd do with it.

If I kept it, I'd have an awesome new everything device ready to do whatever I wanted; if I sold it, it would've gone a long towards helping out around the house, and generally easing things up a bit. The longer that thing burned a hole on my pocket, the more those two options were taunting me like dangling jewels in front of a hungry dragon, with keeping it looking more like the best option...until I looked at some of the stuff it had. Sure, there were the typical LOOK AT HOW COOL I AM selfies in there, but there was also family photos, personal writings, and a ton of stuff that told me it was that person's everything machine, too...one that probably helped them do a lot of the crap I wanted to do with it.

No matter I looked at it, I was basically taking that away from them, like that pick pocket took my mom's wallet during our trip to Las Pegasus, and I started realizing how doing it would make me a total jackhole. As I thought about how to return it, I saw that the owner's email was in there, so I contacted them as soon as I could access the library computers, which eventually lead to me meeting you there, Ms. Strings and Things. I'll never forget the first time you tapped me on the shoulder and asked for me while I was browsing Canterpedia

"Are you Ms. Scratch?" were the first words you ever used with me, if I'm not mistaken


You were rocking the white button up and gray pleated skirt they made you wear as your uniform, and were totally looking away the whole time I told you about taking better care of your crap. I figured it would be over and done after I popped that thing outta my jeans pocket and gave it to you, but I sensed you had other ideas after I walked towards the exit, and you grabbed my sleeve. When I looked back, I heard you ask me something I never thought I'd hear from someone as high up the ladder as you.

"I know we've barely met, but do think we could be friends, Ms. Scratch?"

To be perfectly honest, I didn't think I'd jive that well with you, based on what saw on the phone, but I figured "Eh, ain't no harm in it," and was subsequently shocked speechless from both the big ol' hug you gave me and the iPlayer I got from you. Minus the photos, and such, it was pretty much like the one I just gave you, and before I could thank you or ask why you were giving it to me, you bolted for your Cello lessons. Wasn't until I looked at my new iPlayer that I got something more than a word edgewise from you, in the form of that Read Me on it, which said, if memory serves, how I could get in touch with you, and this:

"Thank you for taking the time to get my iPlayer back to me. Just knowing you'd even go that far means the world to me, and speaks volumes about your character. I'm glad that out of anyone who could've found it, someone as dedicated to doing the right thing as you got to it first. I do hope we get to meet again soon and become even better friends, Ms. Scratch"

(P.S. I still have it, and the first pic we took together on it in a little glass case in my workspace)

Author's Note:

Next time, we'll hear what Octavia went through after she lost her iPlayer. Who got it for her? What does it mean to her? How did lead her to do what she did? Tune in next time, and find out!