• Published 27th Dec 2013
  • 1,071 Views, 83 Comments

Reluctant hero - MidnightFMare



Memories. They make you who you are. I don't have any from before I woke up. But do my memories matter? Or are the ones I'll make more important? I wonder...

  • ...
42
 83
 1,071

Loopholes are like donuts, fun and have a gaping hole pilot part 4

I sniff the air, finding Lyra's scent easily "Follow me!"

Leading Luna and Tia down several winding passage ways and trick doors, we arrive at a set of stairs leading to a golden glow and whispers.

"I'll try and reason with her, you two stay here in case she tries to run for it." Luna nods and Tia opens her mouth to say something but is promptly shushed by her sister.

"Hello Ms. Heartstrings, have you found what you're looking for?"

She looks up in surprise, her horn growing brighter "Have you come to stop me?"

I shrug "To be honest, yes. From what I apparently know about humans, they are a horrible race that like to kill and destroy the very land they live on. If you bring proof of their existence to light, you'll be giving ponies something to emulate, and that is something that I don't think will end well. Now please-"

"No! I have the records, the reports, and the proof! I have worked most of my life to prove that they exist and I will not let all of it go to waste because of some petty fear! The world needs to know..."

"Are you helping the world, or yourself?" I ask her.

"What are you-"

"To bring this disastrous information to light is not only an idiotic idea, but it is also self-serving. You desire validation for your desire to prove you aren't mad. You desire those who mocked you to apologize for their disbelief, for taunting you, for the sole reason of self esteem. That makes you selfish, you want to stoke your own ego and for that, you are a selfish fool."

She growls "So I'm a fool for spending most of my life researching a species that has left countless inventions and ideas, for believing in them? For following the truth to the source and now that I have it, I'm just supposed to let it stay where it is, which leaves me with nothing to show for my two decades of work?! You're the fool if you even entertain the idea of keeping all this hidden from the world... now please get out of my way."

I sigh "How about a game of duel monsters? I win and you don't go public with those reports for now. You win, neither I nor anyone will stop you."

She pauses "... Fine, how did you know I played?"

"The duel disk in your saddlebags gave it away." I say, but facepalm "I don't have mine..."

I feel something radiate from inside, a blinding light radiates from my cutie mark "I... what's happening?!"

The light fades and on my arm is a duel disk, gold and black in color and shaped like a cat swiping, the claws at one end, the arm the card zones and the body is in the shape of a snarling panther's face, the life point counter in the center of the mouth, my deck area looking like another claw ready to strike.

"Sweet!" I rear onto my hind legs and the disk glows as it powers up.

Lyra levitates her own out and it comes to life, a tripod extending from the bottom "Ready?"

I grin, the feeling of ice running through my veins awakening some deep part of my psyche "Ready!"

"DUEL!"

"I'll go first!" Lyra grins "I summon 'Warrior Dai Grepher' in attack mode and equip him with 'Legendary Sword'!"

ATK: 2000

"Then I'll set two cards face down and end my turn. Your go."

I grin "Draw! Heh, I activate 'Hand Destruction'! We both discard two cards and then draw two new ones."

She grumbles in response but squeaks when a dagger and a lightning bolt shoot from my graveyard.

Her warrior shatters when the dagger slices through him, the bolt shattering her left face down "Wh-what happened?!"

"That would be the powers of the two cards I sent to the grave. First is 'Gren, Tactician of Dark World', when he goes to the grave from my hand, he takes a spell or trap with him. And next is 'Kahki, Guerrilla of Dark World', he takes a monster when he goes."

She growls "Fine!"

"I play 'Dark World Lightning'! It wipes out a facedown and I get to discard a card after." Another lightning bolt hits her last facedown, earning me a death glare.

The ground rumbles as a gold-armor clad fiend rises, giant scythe held at ready.

"Oh? This handsome gentlefiend? He's known as "Goldd, Wu-lord of Dark World. When he's sent packing to the grave from my hand, he comes onto my field to dish out some major carnage." I grin "I'm not done yet! I summon 'Brron, Mad King of Dark World'!"

A mad cackle echoes throughout the room as a chained, cloaked, and smiling fiend appears, shattering the chains with ease.

"Goldd, Brron! Wipe out her life points!" I command, the two fiends launching into the air and slicing Lyra with scythe and claws.

Goldd ATK: 2300

Bronn ATK: 1800

Lyra LP: 0

She flies backwards and drops the book, landing in a heap "I... I can't feel my anything..."

I grin and walk over to her and offer my hoof "Great Duel Ms. Heartstrings. I just guess fate smiled upon me."

She blinks wearily "Ow... I lost..."

I hear hoofsteps from behind me, pausing for a second before a silver-clad hoof touches my shoulder "Thank you Midnight. You are worthy of your cutie mark."

I shrug "I don't know about that but I have a deal to uphold." I walk over to Tia and take the book "Lyra, as we agreed, you will not go public with this information."

She nods weakly, tears brimming "Y-yeah... I guess so..."

I grin "But... that is not to say that you cannot at another time. Nor will I deny you possession of this information. I guess I forgot that gaping loophole in my rush to play... ah well..." I toss the book at her hooves "It would be so unfortunate if when I turned my back and escorted these two back to the castle that the book was taken..."

Both mares open their mouths but I grab them by the forelegs and take off towards the castle.

Author's Note:

hello very important, very nice readers and followers and any one else, for the next chapters, my comments are going to be on the top and bottom, and i am introducing a few concepts from a favorite writer of mine, 4428gamer on fanfiction.net, and his diamond in the rough story, "a brony life" and his super original OC, electric blitz! support me and him with your veiws and comments!
oh, and the concepts are an introduction, contests, and i may put a spin on some of his ideas, but i will give him credit where credit is due, and a question of the chapter! fun stuff, any ways, the QofC will be in the story's type so answer them to the best or funniest of your abilities, oh, and i will post my favorite comments in a linked blog post and if you don't like me taking an idea from another author, i said (well, typed) i would give credit to those who inspire me.
okee dokee lokee, question of the chapter, do you hate it when stories are cancelled? name a story on here or somewhere else and i'll give it a look, if the authors are willing, i'll continue it... here's hoping,
AVANTI!