• Published 8th Dec 2013
  • 627 Views, 10 Comments

The League of Lyras - Redcoat



A very interesting meeting takes place.

  • ...
0
 10
 627

LoL #9

“Are you sure you're ready for this? It can be pretty rough for first timers.”

“No, I promised myself I'd do this. I need to live my life. Take control.”

“Okay, but remember, you asked for this.” Adventurer Lyra said before opening a very old door. Nerdlet Lyra closed her eyes and took a shaky breath. She held it in, resolving herself, until she was ready.

She let out the breath, and as she opened her eyes, a light glinted off them.

She looked into the darkened depths. She had been preparing for this for months, and she was ready. She had read every manual, held interviews with professionals and had run simulation after simulation. She was literally as ready as she would ever be.

She took a step forward. Then another. And another. And another. And another. And another. And another. And another. She was at the edge. Just one more step and she would have breached the darkness.

She glanced at Adventurer Lyra, who gave her a reassuring smile and a nod. Nerdlet Lyra took another deep breath.

And stepped forward.

It was colder inside, Nerdlet Lyra noticed. An echo from The Step bounced down the hall, getting ever quieter, until it was altogether silent. She strained her ears, but heard nothing. They must not have started yet. She still had time.

She felt something brush against her shoulder, and she jumped away squealing. The scream echoed back: all surrounding, all consuming. Nerdlet Lyra winced as the ringing filled her ears. She remembered why she had screamed. She whipped her head around, expecting to find a fanatic or something worse. All she saw was Adventurer Lyra.

Nerdlet Lyra coughed sheepishly before pretending it had never happened. Adventurer Lyra followed her lead.

Figuratively.

Adventurer Lyra walked in front of Nerdlet Lyra, leading the way. She had been here before, after all. She knew of any dangers they might encounter. The door began to close, moving under its own weight on well-oiled hinges. Soon what little light the portal provided had been closed out, and it was darker than ever. Adventurer Lyra did not look back, so neither did Nerdlet Lyra.

They continued down the hall. Occasionally they would hear a noise, or a voice, echo down through the halls which set Nerdlet Lyra on edge. They ran into a large pack of rats once, red eyes glowing evilly in the dark.

Nerdlet Lyra would have run were she alone, but it only took a shout from Adventurer Lyra to scatter them. Nerdlet Lyra put a hoof to one of her pockets, feeling for the long stick that was her only source of light. She was tempted to turn it on, but she remembered what Adventurer Lyra had told her. She needed to save it.

Soon they turned a corner, and saw him. A massive green Minotaur with long horns that curved upward, at least as tall as Celestia and much larger in girth. He wore a pair of tinted red goggles and had his arms folded, standing in front of a pair of doors: he was The Guardian.

Adventurer Lyra approached fearlessly, only stopping when she was right in front of him . “Who has come to my gate?” He boomed. The halls did not echo this time.

Adventurer Lyra replied in kind. “We who have payed the toll. Let us through, O faithful Guardian.” She held two golden rectangles for him to examine.

He showed no signs of acknowledging the ingots, but after a few second had passed, he silently took them and stepped out of the way.

The gate opened, seemingly of its own accord. It was even darker inside than the hallway was, and she could see them. Hundreds of...Things that disgusted and horrified her. Monster's silhouettes splayed across the wall, only barely distinguishable from the darkness that surrounded them.

Adventurer Lyra surged ahead, heedless of the horde that surrounded her on either sides. Nerdlet Lyra quickly followed her, afraid of the monsters, but even more afraid of being left behind with them.

They all ignored the pair for the most part, only occasionally crying out when Adventurer Lyra pushed them out of her way. Nerdlet Lyra was sure to quickly follow before the monster moved back to its spot.

Soon Adventurer Lyra stopped, and told Nerdlet to do the same. Nerdlet Lyra bumped into her, unable to hear her over the dull roar of the horde. Nerdlet Lyra blushed before sheepishly looking at Adventurer Lyra, who gave her a wry smile.

The pair stayed there, encircled with hellish beasts and drowning in their din. Nerdlet Lyra tried to not think about it, instead repeating a mantra in her head. My light is off, they can't see me. My light is off, they can't see me. My light is off, they can't see me.

She glanced towards Adventurer Lyra, and gawked when she saw her casual chatting with one of the beasts. She almost couldn't believe it, which is to say that she did believe it because she had known Adventurer Lyra for some time.

She heard a whirring sound, and just a fraction of a second later was blinded by a rainbow of neon lights, racing to her eyes form strips above their heads. Right after that, eight floodlights, two in each corner of the very large room, burned to life, illuminating the entire room.

Then she heard it, the arguably loudest sound she had ever heard in her life: It shook her bones and sent a shiver down her spine. If there had been any chance of retreat before, it had been vaporised when the floodlights switched on. It had begun.

“Sup Homies! You ready to Part-ay?!”

Author's Note:

Pre-read and edited by Twilight_Scratch.