• Published 6th Dec 2013
  • 2,417 Views, 45 Comments

The Sound of Diamonds - PropMaster



A jaded author leaves his old life behind intent on finding a place to write his magnum opus. Instead, he finds an elegant young mare who opens her life of friendship to him. He never dreamed she could admire him for the stallion he truly is.

  • ...
9
 45
 2,417

Chapter 3

- Chapter 3 -


“What did I get myself into?!”

Around me, my bedroom was a mess. I normally didn’t care about clothes, but this felt like it needed something more than just, well, nothing! Rarity seemed classy, and she obviously enjoyed fashion and elegance. I didn’t really own much in the way of clothing. I had other things to worry about, and my ability to color-coordinate or wear cohesive outfits was nonexistent. I’d laid out every single one of my ties, scarves, hats, and every other article I owned. It only amounted to a single row of various articles: a paltry collection.

I gravitated towards my tie, the one that I usually wore for big events. I hesitated, though. Was it too formal?

I threw my hooves up in the air. “Buck it.”

I grabbed the scarf that Rarity had made for me and wrapped it around my neck. I ran a hoof along the softly textured fabric. It’d do for now, though I swore to pick up a new tie or two in the next few days. With a snort, I trotted outside, lifting my face to feel the warmth of the sun. It was a little before noon. Just enough time to get to the Carousel Boutique and pick up Rarity.

I shivered, despite the heat of the day. I’d barely slept last night, worrying over this date. To say I was out of practice was an understatement.

I scuffed my hooves on the road, sighing as I slid out of the way of an oncoming group of ponies heading for the nearby market. One of them stopped in front of me and lifted a hoof in greeting. “Hello there, Lower Case!”

I frowned slightly, squinting my eyes closed for a moment as I searched for a name to give the friendly mare that had just greeted me. “Er, hello... Twilight?”

“That sounded more like a question.” She giggled knowingly, and I winced. “On your way to pick up Rarity?”

Oh. Of course, she was friends with Rarity, so she’d know about our date. I nodded. “Yeah. Just... heading on over.”

“Nice to see that you’re making an effort, but I think Rarity might appreciate it if you’re a minute or two late. I actually just came from the Carousel Boutique, and Rarity... well, she’s taking her time trying to look ‘just-so.’” Twilight smirked. “I think you’ve asked her on the first serious date she’s had in months.”

“Oh, is that what she told you?” I chuckled slightly, trying to avoid the sick feeling that had settled in my stomach. “Well, I hope she isn’t expecting too much. I’m afraid I might be a bit rusty.”

Twilight waved a hoof dismissively, her smile reassuring. “Don’t worry about it too much. You’ll do fine, I’m sure. I mean, you’re a young stallion, you’ve probably been on plenty of dates.”

I nodded slowly. “Twilight, how old do you think I am?”

Twilight’s ears twitched back hesitantly. “Uh... I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to be rude or anything!”

“Just humor me. Take a guess!” I said with a smile.

“... Twenty-five?” Twilight ventured.

“Thirty-one. And I haven’t been on a date in... six years.”

“Six years?!”

“Six years. I was busy.” I shook my head and sighed. “So, you understand that when I say I’m rusty, I mean it.”

“I-I’ve got some books at the library on modern romance techniques and dating tips! Hold on, I’ll be right back!”

I chuckled, “Don’t bother, I’ll just blunder my way—”

Twilight suddenly disappeared with a clap of displaced air. My jaw dropped. Not many unicorns could tackle such an advanced spell as teleportation. I waited a moment, and sure enough, there was another crackling clap. Twilight appeared before me once more with two books balanced on her back.

“Here! These were the first two that I could—” Twilight began.

“No, that’s okay, I don’t—” I protested, speaking over her.

“—grab, but I was in a—”

“—need any help, I think—”

“—hurry! We should probably—”

“—I can handle this—”

“—get moving, though—

I put a hoof in front of Twilight’s mouth, “—on my own! I can do this, Twilight! I don’t need to be coddled like a colt!”

Twilight froze, and I moved my hoof away from her mouth. She looked down at her hooves for a moment, scuffing the dirt path. I realized what I’d done, pushing Twilight away like a rebellious young colt faced with a doting matron. Idiot. “I’m sorry, I just...” I let the statement hang awkwardly, shrugging.

Twilight shook her head, smiling gently. “No, it’s okay! I was being pushy and overthinking things.”

I sighed. “No. You were being thoughtful and concerned for me. Thank you.”

Twilight hesitated. “...So?”

“So, maybe you’re right. I might need a little help. A pointer or two wouldn't hurt.” Her smile made the awkward admission almost worth it. “How about you read while we walk?”

Twilight nodded, levitated the books off her back, and started reading aloud as she began leading me on towards Carousel Boutique. “Let’s see here. This book by Smooth Tigerlily is supposed to be fairly informative on more modern dating techniques! She says that modern stallions should be more focused on showing a mare that they appreciate their efforts towards wooing them. After all, with the population discrepancy between stallions and mares still relatively skewed, there’s not as many stallions around as many would like, so she says that...”


We arrived in front of Carousel Boutique what felt like an hour later, though I knew it had only been mere minutes. Twilight was still reading out tips from those stupid books.

“...and Tigerlily also says that stallions should be more passive during a date, or during... oh, oh my, we’ll skip that bit... but uh, yes, passive is apparently important, because coming on too strongly means that—”

“We’re here, Twilight,” I droned, hoping she’d be quiet. I’d heard more than enough about other ponies’ opinions on the modern dating scene.

“Oh! Wow, that sure flew by quickly!” Twilight said breathily, giggling.

“For some of us...” I muttered.

“What was that?” asked Twilight.

I summoned a nonchalant grin. “Oh, nothing.” I quickly knocked on Rarity’s door. Please, please be ready.

“Just a moment!” sang Rarity’s voice from inside.

I silently thanked Celestia for Rarity’s apparent punctuality and took a step back from the door. “Twilight, you might want to put those books away. Don’t want to give Rarity the impression you’ve been teaching me how to be a good date.” Not that I’d actually be using any of that advice. It was all pickup artist bunk and, to be frank, a little sleazy.

“Oh! Right, good thinking.” Twilight grinned and waved at me. “Good luck!”

I turned towards the door as it began to open, a quiet clap of air telling me that Twilight had teleported away just in time. I grinned as Rarity stepped out into the tepid afternoon. She was wearing a gracefully flowing full-body dress that was laced up her chest with a bodice, with a high neck collar that spoke of nobility. She wore long stockings and buckled shoes, as well.

My heart dropped out of my chest, the scarf around my neck suddenly feeling like a noose. I mustered a smile. “You look very nice, Miss Rarity.”

Rarity smiled, reaching a hoof up and bouncing her curled mane. “Thank you, Mister Case.”

I swallowed nervously. “I’m afraid I’m a tad underdressed.”

Rarity grinned sheepishly. “Think nothing of it! I’m afraid I got a tad excited. I believe that I’m the one who’s overdressed!” Her ears flattened back.

“No!” I held up a hoof. “You look really amazing. I’m just afraid that I don’t have anything that could possibly match your exquisite taste in clothing.”

Rarity’s smile regained some of its strength and her ears perked up. “Oh, don’t be modest. I saw that scarf you were wearing the first time we met. You’ve got a sense for fashion.”

“I’m afraid it’s an illusion. I barely pay attention to what I wear. It’s just... not that important to me,” I stated honestly.

Rarity frowned pensively. “Hmm... well, how about we compromise a bit, then? I’ve got an idea. Come inside.”

She turned and trotted into the boutique and I followed, wondering what she had in mind. The interior of the boutique was different from the last time I’d visited. Gone was the chaos, replaced with a level of neatness that almost bordered on the obsessive. The ponnyquins that had been covered with dresses that were being constructed were now bare, and tucked in a neat line along the far wall. A few racks of garments had been pulled into the room as well, displaying Rarity’s creations. The room felt far more open than it had before when it had been messy. A few mirrors had been pulled into the center of the boutique and some paneled dressing areas had been moved into place. It felt less like a studio and more like a shop. I stopped inside the doorway, wiping my hooves carefully on the rug.

“It’s nice in here,” I commented. “What happened to the organized chaos?”

“You caught me on the weekend. I try to keep the mess constrained to my workroom and out of the main studio, but on the weekend I let my creativity go where it pleases,” explained Rarity, walking further inside the boutique and towards a flight of stairs. “I’m going to dress down a bit, and I’ll also grab something nice for you to wear for our luncheon. That way, we’ll be a little more matched.”

“Sounds good,” I called as she disappeared upstairs. I waited quietly in the middle of the room for a minute before my restlessness got the better of me and I began to peruse the racks of clothing. Most of it was designed for mares: dresses, fashionable capes, and the like. There were a few outfits for stallions, mostly jackets and vests. I ran a hoof along one of them, admiring the careful stitching and the style of the cut.

“Find something you like?” murmured Rarity from behind me.

I yelped and spun around, grinning sheepishly. “Ah, yes, actually. You’ve got a lot of talent, Miss Rarity.”

Rarity was wearing a simpler dress—a single piece of flowing fabric with a plunging neckline and a hem that rode high on her flank—and had discarded the stockings, shoes, and most everything else. She had her hair done slightly differently as well, pulled up into a tangle of curly ringlets at the back of her head. She still was beautifully dressed, but I no longer felt quite so underdressed. She held up two suit jackets, smiling at me. “Which do you prefer?”

I took a step back, trying to compose myself. “Ah... I think you’d be the better judge.”

“That’s flattering, Mister Case, but I must insist you pick which one you feel suits you better.” She held them out, smiling slyly.

Another test, then. Very well. I took a step forward, running a hoof along each jacket as I examined each one carefully. One was double-breasted, with a squared shoulder look and three buttons. The other was single-breasted, with two buttons instead of three, and more rounded in the shoulders. I ran a hoof down the collar of the two-button jacket, then tapped it firmly. “This one.”

“Hmm. Interesting choice. Are you picking it because you think it will look better on you, or because it more closely matches my outfit?” she queried.

“I think both would look good on me, but the two-button jacket is a little less formal, and... yes, it matches your dress better,” I stated firmly, holding to my decision in the face of her question.

Rarity laughed, hanging up the three-button jacket as I took the other one, and she fanned her face as if she was flushed. “I must say, you’re performing admirably.”

“I’m on to your little game, Miss Rarity,” I replied with a soft chuckle.

I shrugged into the jacket and buttoned the bottom button, leaving the top button open. Rarity gave a subtle nod of approval, and I gestured toward the door. “Shall we?”

“One last thing.”

Rarity leaned in close, grabbing my scarf, and proceeded to tie it into a complex knot, before tucking it into my suit jacket like a tie. She fluffed the fabric slightly, one hoof resting gently on my chest, her head tilting to the side to examine the knot. “There we are. Much better.”

We stood there for a moment, close together, her hoof on my chest, before I chuckled awkwardly. “Thank you.”

“Of course.” She took a step back, smiling coyly.

Oh, she was good. I was out of my league. I shook my head slowly, trying to ease my undoubtedly goofy smile into a more neutral expression. “All right, then. Let’s head to lunch. I think you’ll like this place; I’ve heard some good things around town.”

It was my turn to have the upper hoof.


We walked towards our destination at a leisurely pace, heading towards the farther edge of Ponyville. I led Rarity to a chariot that sat in the middle of an open field. Two pegasi lounged in chairs next to the chariot, chatting animatedly with each other, while a thin unicorn with a swept-back mane and a bow tie stood before a podium.

The unicorn smiled. “Hello there. Are you here for lunch?”

I nodded. “I am. Reservation for Lower Case.”

“Reservation? For a chariot ride? Wherever are we going?” Rarity asked with interest.

“Not far!” replied the unicorn. “I’d assume, then, that you both have never eaten here before?”

“It’s the first time for both of us,” I stated.

“All right, you’re in for a treat! Hold still a moment.”

The unicorn’s eyes closed in concentration, and I felt a tingling sensation around my hooves. Rarity giggled, obviously experiencing a similar effect, and the unicorn opened his eyes. “All right, all set. Hey Flitter, Cloudchaser! Two customers ready to go up!”

The two pegasi hopped out of their chairs and quickly hitched themselves to the chariot. They grinned at us, and one spoke up. “Hop in! We’ll take you guys up to the dining room.”

Rarity cast me a look full of curiosity. “Dining room?”

I gestured to the chariot, my lips sealed. She snorted, her eyes narrowing briefly, before stepping into the back of the chariot. I joined her, and Flitter and Cloudchaser spread their wings. After a short running start, we were airborne. Rarity squealed and grabbed on to my waist, burying her face in my shoulder. She stayed like that for the whole five minutes we were in the air. The two pegasi were fast and the ride was smooth, and we arrived on top of a flattened plateau of white cumulonimbus. A dining room of sorts had been set up, the area filled with low tables that hummed with enchantments keeping them on top of the cloud. A few pegasus customers and a pair of earth ponies were the only patrons, leaving the rest of the large space quiet and empty. Rarity managed to remove herself from my side, grinning sheepishly. “I apologize. I’ve never been in a chariot before. It was... startling.”

I chuckled. “I’m sorry I startled you. I just wanted it to be a surprise,” I divulged, as I stepped off onto the cloud.

Rarity stiffened briefly, her hoof reaching out as if to halt me from falling to my death, but I stood firmly on the fluffy surface, enjoying the odd texture of the cloud beneath my hoof. It was dry, but cold, almost feeling wet without actually being wet. “Come on. The unicorn did his job, we’re enchanted to walk on clouds for a few hours.”

“Oh. Oh! Of course. I apologize, I’m familiar with the spell, it’s just been a while.” Rarity cautiously stepped off the chariot and onto the cloud, bouncing slightly before settling her weight.

“Enjoy your lunch!” chorused the two pegasi, and they took off with the chariot, leaving us to seat ourselves.

“So, what sort of an establishment is this?” asked Rarity, looking around as I lead her to a table nearer to the edge of the cloud.

“Classic pegasi cuisine. High in carbohydrates and protein, and very delicious. It’s similar to Bitalian food. Lots of grains and pastas.”

Rarity’s smile brightened. “Oh, I love Bitalian food.”

“It’s like Bitalian. You’ll see,” I insisted, sitting down on the cloud top before one of the low tables. The cloud molded to support my weight and body, and felt like settling into a cushion.

Rarity took a seat as well, shifting awkwardly for a moment before settling down. “My, this is comfy. I suppose I can understand why Rainbow Dash enjoys napping on these so much.”

“Friend of yours?” I asked, picking up a menu that had been left on the table and beginning to peruse the offerings, running my hoof along the edge of the menu and focusing.

“Yes, a very dear friend. She’s the town’s head weatherpony, and, well, a bit lazy on occasion.” Rarity laughed demurely. “She’s also very loyal and supportive. A good pony to have at your side when things go awry. If she saw me up here, I’m sure she’d approve. She has quite an adventurous streak.”

I chuckled. “Sounds like a mare I know.” The words slipped out before I could think, and I inwardly winced, hoping Rarity wouldn’t ask.

“Oh? Come now, Mister Case, I’ve told you about my friend, so it’s only fair you talk about yours,” Rarity prompted, opening her own menu.

“Hardly a friend. Just a character I write about,” I stated evenly. “Well, used to write about. I’m focusing my work... elsewhere. On a new epic.”

“Really? That sounds terribly interesting,” remarked Rarity, her eyes flicking away from her menu to focus on me.

“It really isn’t, I promise.” Smirking, I changed the subject. “How about you, Rarity? You mentioned working on a project the other day. An order for a client?”

Rarity smiled, setting down her menu and leaning forward. “Well, if you must know, I was working on a dress concept for a rather famous singer, Sapphire Shores. She’s a regular client of mine and I help design many of her stage outfits, as well as the occasional piece of personal attire.”

I whistled, impressed. “Wow. Who’d have known? You being a dressmaker for Sapphire Shores, while living here in Ponyville? I mean, no offense, this place is charming and quiet, but Canterlot it ain’t.”

Rarity laughed, waving a hoof in the air. “I’m afraid you exaggerate my importance. I may be a—shall we say—rising star? But I have yet to be truly discovered. My friends have done wonders for helping my career, but at the moment I’m very happy here. I’m close to my family, I have the best friends a mare could ask for, a decent list of clients from the fabulous ponies of the upper crusts of society, and more local and dear regulars.”

I smiled at her enthusiasm. “That sounds nice. I wish I could connect so easily with my...” I hesitated, searching for the word, “... clientele?”

Rarity placed a hoof over her mouth, looking surprised. “Oh my, you can’t be serious!”

“Why not?” I questioned, surprised by her reaction.

“Well, you’re a writer, darling! You must connect more deeply with ponies than I ever could dream!” Rarity placed a hoof to her chest solemnly. “When I was a young filly, I know that much of my inspiration and creativity was driven by imagery and characters from the books I read. Classic literature is rife with interesting and novel ideas for clothing and period costume, and it was invaluable in driving my personal sense of style and love for the more refined look of past ages. Not that I have anything against modern fashion trends, but I firmly believe that there are things that will never go out of style.”

I smirked. “I doubt that I do much inspiring. Like I told you, I write lame novels for young mares. Nothing so classic or literary. Just guilty pleasures for those seeking a little escape from reality.”

Rarity smirked victoriously, her eyes narrowing slightly. “Ah, but there’s the rub! Guilty pleasure though your work may be, a little escape from reality now and again is good for the soul. We get so wrapped up in life’s drama and carrying-on, I think, that allowing ourselves a break now and again can be rejuvenating... as long as we’re taking a break by doing innocuous things like reading or enjoying a hobby.”

“Fair enough,” I replied with a shrug.

Rarity opened her mouth to continue, but was interrupted when a pegasus stallion wearing a bow-tie alighted on the cloud next to our table. “Good afternoon. Welcome to High Rise! My name is Sweet Spot and I’ll be your waiter. Can I get you started on some drinks or appetizers?”

I nodded to him, already knowing what I wanted. “I’d like a chilled glass of Electric Ale.”

Rarity raised a graceful eyebrow at me. “Electric Ale?”

Sweet Spot smiled at Rarity, taking the lead on explaining. “Electric Ale is a light alcoholic beverage, distilled with rainwater harvested only during thunderstorms. Right before serving, we send a mild jolt of electricity through the brew. It gives it a very unique flavor, and goes well with almost any dish we serve here.”

“That sounds very interesting. I’d like to try some as well, if you please,” requested Rarity.

“Excellent. Anything else?”

I glanced down at the menu, pondering quickly. “I think I’d just like some bread, please. A fresh loaf of sweet oat, if you don’t mind, with a side of your herb and olive spread.”

Sweet Spot nodded. “An excellent choice. I’ll be right back with your drinks and bread.”

He was gone in a flash, simply sliding through the cloud, leaving only a wisp of disturbed air in his place. Rarity watched him disappear with interest. “Ah, so the kitchen is below us.”

“Right. It’s probably a bit expensive to have a whole kitchen in the sky, with a restaurant like this.” I ran a hoof nervously along the edge of the table as I spoke. “Back in Manehattan, where I worked before coming here, these kinds of places started getting popular. I was always interested in going, but I never really had the time. When I heard there was a pegasus cloud restaurant here, I knew I had to go.”

Rarity smiled slowly. “Ah, so I’m an excuse?”

I grinned at her. “Yes.”

She blinked, taken aback, but then laughed merrily. “Oh my, you’re serious! How delightfully refreshing, an honest stallion!”

I laughed along with her. “I’ll admit, though, I’m finding the company more enjoyable than the novelty of eating on a cloud.”

Rarity beamed, batting her eyelashes at me, and we sat in an atmosphere of comfortable silence for a few moments before Sweet Spot returned with our drinks, bread, and the spread.

I slid my glass a little closer to myself and picked it up in one hoof, smiling as I felt the tingle of electricity set the hair of my fetlocks on end. Rarity giggled a little, examining her drink with interest. “It’s very pretty.”

“It is,” I replied, taking a slow sip.

The electric tingle became a jolt of energy that numbed my tongue and set my mane dancing briefly. I swallowed quickly and gasped, laughing. “Wow. That’s stronger than I imagined.”

“Oh really?” asked Rarity, her interested expression turning cautious.

I waved a hoof at her. “Oh, go on. Try it.”

She smiled. “Well, if you insist.”

Shifting her weight forward slightly, she gripped the glass and took a drink. Her eyes widened in surprise, and she swallowed, setting the glass down with a giggle. “Oh my, that was an experience...”

And then her mane exploded, every careful curl tightening up briefly before frizzing out into a halo around her head, which floated ethereally before coming down straight. Rarity’s mouth dropped open, her expression horrified. I chuckled, stupidly. “Looks like yours was a little extra strong.”

She recovered from her shock, gasping. “My mane! Oh goddess, I must look a mess! I’m so sorry!”

I smiled at her. “Don’t worry about it. Really! I think it actually looks nice, straight like that.”

“Nice?” She glared. “Nice?

Oh, horseapples. I decided to take a chance and press on. “Yes. It looks very nice.”

Rarity’s face went through a few expressions ranging from rage to shock before settling on an icy, impassive look. “So, now it looks nice?”

I swallowed hard. “Yes. N-not to say that it didn’t look nice before, Miss Rarity.”

Snorting, she stood up slowly. “Why’d it look nice before, then?”

“You’d done it up. I thought it looked very good,” I insisted.

There was an awkward pause as Rarity stood quietly in front of me. I resisted the urge to wipe the sweat from my brow.

“And?” she inquired, finally.

I focused on her mane, trying to find some clue. Sweet Celestia, she’d done something else and I hadn’t noticed? Rookie mistake. I scrutinized her straightened mane for a moment before inwardly shrugging. “And that’s all. I liked that you’d done something different, because it meant you cared enough to try to impress me.”

She exhaled slowly, looking defeated for a moment, before giving me a small smile. “Very well. I’ll be right back.”

Rarity trotted away, heading for a small covered area of the cloud, no doubt a powder room for mares. I resisted the urge to smash my head into the table. Stupid! How could I have missed something? What had she done?

I grabbed a slice of bread and chewed it, contemplating how to rescue this date. I needed to do something good. She’d just been embarrassed, and I’d been stupid enough to not notice something she’d done to try to impress me. I glanced around, hoping to see Sweet Spot, but the pegasus stallion had disappeared.

Rarity returned a minute later, having composed herself. She’d pulled her mane back and up into a loose bun that actually looked very attractive. I smiled at her hopefully. “That’s not a bad look for you.”

Rarity chuckled. “I’m afraid that ship has sailed, Mister Case. Not to worry, though, the day is still young. I apologize if I was rude to you as well. I take a lot of time to make myself look just-so, and it is a bit bothersome when somepony doesn’t recognize that.”

I nodded. “Of course. I’m sorry for laughing at you when your mane... well, for lack of a better word, exploded.”

She giggled, glancing up at a stray lock of mane and tucking it back into the bun. “It was rather spectacular, wasn’t it?”

“Very.” I sighed, feeling a little of the tension in my shoulders ease. “Try the spread, I promise it isn’t quite so exotic.”

Rarity grasped a small piece of bread and dipped it daintily into the olive and herb spread, and took a bite. Her eyes widened, then closed. “Mmm.”

“It’s a bit on the oily side, but I’ve had it before and it’s great.” I dipped my own piece of bread into the spread and took a bite, enjoying the flavor of rosemary and the slightly bitter taste of the olives.

Rarity swallowed her bite. “It actually reminds me of marediterranean food.”

“Very similar. I suppose you could say that traditional pegasi cuisine is a fusion of bitalian and marediterranean.”

Between the two of us, we finished off most of the bread, murmuring quiet compliments on the food between bites, before Sweet Spot returned. “All right, what can I get for you two?”

Rarity smiled at me. “I’ll have whatever he’s having.”

My eyes widened. Tricky. “Very well.” I scrutinized the menu for a moment before spotting something that looked good. “Ah! I’ll have the baked kalamata pasta with truffle oil sauce.”

Sweet Spot scribbled down the order on a pad. “Very good! I’ll have that out for you two in a flash.”

Sweet Spot slipped through the cloud again, leaving Rarity and I alone once more. I smiled at her. “I promise, this’ll go over better than the ale did.”

Rarity nodded, smirking. “I certainly hope so.”

We sat quietly for a second as we both enjoyed the bread and spread, before Rarity spoke up. “This place really is lovely. I wasn’t certain when we first arrived, but I believe that I could enjoy living on clouds.”

“They are quite comfortable, aren’t they?” I patted one hoof against the fluff of water vapor, feeling it’s odd wet, and yet not-wet, texture and the gentle heat of the sun-warmed liquid.

“I see the appeal, now. If only there was a way to use clouds as fabric. What an interesting textile that would be...”

Nodding, I tugged on the cloud, feeling its tensile strength. “Could be interesting…”

The silence returned as we contemplated the idea of cloud fabrics, before Rarity broke the quiet spell once more. “So, I think we’ve been avoiding the topic long enough. What did you write before you came to ponyville? And don’t say ‘adventure novels for young mares.’ I’m genuinely interested and I’d like to know more.”

I winced. “I’m afraid that for the moment, Miss Rarity, I’d rather keep that a secret. I moved to Ponyville to get away from my past work and to start in on a real story that I could be proud of.”

Rarity frowned and her lower lip stuck out in a cute pout. “Ah, come now. Not even a hint?”

I smiled. “I’ve said too much already. I’d love to tell you about my current work, though. Will that help satisfy your curiosity?”

Rarity nodded and gestured for me to continue. I closed my eyes for a moment to gather my thoughts, before I started. “What do you know about the regalia that the princesses wear, Rarity?”

She looked briefly thoughtful. “I’ve always assumed they were just the trappings of the sister’s job as diarchs of Equestria.”

“That’s part of it, certainly, but there is more to it. Not many ponies care to ask, but the regalia contains potent magic and power. The sisters have stored within their crowns and the rest of their regalia a massive amount of arcane energy, built up over the course of hundreds of years, which they can draw on in times of crisis,” I explained.

Looking surprised, Rarity leaned forward. “How interesting! I’d always assumed that they were simply pretty pieces of jewelry.”

I nodded. “Indeed, many ponies think that as well. However, that’s not the case. Now, did you know that Celestia’s crown was once stolen?”

Rarity looked shocked, her mouth dropping open briefly. “Not at all! Who could possibly do such a thing?”

“A pony, of course. A noble pony with a noble quest. Hundreds of years ago, he stole the Crown of the Sun.”

“Celestia must have caught him, of course,” Rarity stated.

I grinned. “Yes. But that’s not the end of the story; it only gets more interesting from there.” I leaned forward in my seat, speaking quietly to Rarity. “The royal archives hold two notations in the records, taken months apart. In one, there is noted that one Briar Rose, stallion, attempted to steal the Crown of the Sun, but was captured. Then, months later, it is stated in the record that the Crown of the Sun was given as a gift to one Sir Briar Rose, Knight of Canterlot.”

Rarity’s mouth dropped open. “How intriguing! I wonder what could have happened?”

“I wondered too. The story I’m writing is part fact, part fiction. A story of adventure and daring, intrigue and guile. I think that it will be my best work yet,” I said, tapping my hoof on the table for emphasis.

Rarity clapped her hooves together. “That sounds delightful, Mister Case! A story that blends truth with the tale is always an interesting one.”

“I thought as much.” I smiled at Rarity. “So, that’s me. How about you? There’s more to you than fashion and literature, yes?”

Rarity laughed demurely. “Oh, well, I suppose.” She winked at me, and I chuckled. Rarity continued, “Well, outside of my boutique and other work, I enjoy spending time with my friends. I’ve got five of the most wonderful mares as friends, and they fill the quiet spaces in my life with joy, laughter, and a bit of adventure.”

“They sound nice. I believe you’ve mentioned Rainbow Dash?” I inquired.

Rarity laughed. “Rainbow and I weren’t close until Twilight Sparkle came to town. She’s really the spark that brought our little group together.”

“Tell me a fun story about them, then. Or an embarrassing story, if you’re feeling bold!” I dared, grinning at her.

Rarity’s eyes narrowed slightly. “Ah ha, was that a challenge?”

I leaned forward slightly in my seat, grinning at Rarity. “Yes.”

“Very well... let me think a moment,” Rarity pondered, bringing a hoof up daintily to her chin and tapping lightly for a few seconds, before she giggled. “Ah. I know just the story. Remember how I mentioned being aware of the spell that lets you walk on clouds?”

I nodded, and she continued. “Well, I learned about the spell almost a little over a year ago, now. Rainbow Dash had entered into the Best Young Flyers Competition in Cloudsdale. Twilight and the rest of the girls wanted to see the competition, to help cheer her on, but we weren’t certain how we were going to get there. Well, Twilight found a spell that would...


Our pasta had come and been mostly devoured by the time Rarity finished her story. She wasn’t much for telling tales, deviating into other amusing anecdotes about her friend Fluttershy or Twilight Sparkle, but finally she’d arrived at the end.

“...and Rainbow Dash came streaking out of the clouds, faster than anything I’d ever seen, with a massive contrail of prismatic light streaking behind her! She grabbed myself and all three Wonderbolts before we could splatter on the rocks below, and zoomed us to safety!”

I leaned back from the edge of my seat, laughing. “Amazing.”

Rarity smiled. “I believe Dash would insist on a different ‘a’ word, but it was amazing, indeed.”

“Your friends all sound great. You’re a lucky pony,” I said honestly.

“I’m sure you have plenty of friends back in Manehattan, Mister Case,” said Rarity, waving her hoof as though I was exaggerating her good fortune.

I shrugged slightly. “Not particularly. Sticky Wicket is one of the few ponies I can really call a friend. I have many... associates, like my publisher and editors, but I enjoy being solitary,” I stated simply.

Rarity’s smile faltered. “I’m surprised, honestly. You’re perfectly charming, and an interesting stallion. Friends fill one’s life with wonder, Mister Case!”

“I keep ponies at a distance. I’ve been that way for a while now. I just enjoy the company of myself and my work, and I never felt driven to find companionship...” I faltered briefly before steeling my nerves and pressing on, “...until I met you,” I ventured, smiling gently at her.

Rarity looked down at her hooves demurely, which rested lightly on the table. “That’s very flattering.”

“I don’t mean it to be flattery. I just mean what I say. You’re different, and something drew me to you. It wasn’t your fashion, or your literary knowledge,” I smirked slightly, “though the scarf may have had something to do with it. There’s something about you, Miss Rarity, that made me want to know more about you. Celestia knows why.”

Rarity laughed softly. “Oh, come now. I’m not that interesting.”

I winked. “I disagree.”

There was a brief moment of silence, and I could tell Rarity was going to speak, so I waited for her to collect her thoughts. After a few long seconds, she spoke. “I think, Mister Case, that I’d like to get to know you better as well. Perhaps, though, we should take it slowly. Lunch was a brilliant idea, and I believe that next time we’ll do something similar... if, that is, you’d like there to be a next time.”

“I’d like that,” I said, perhaps a bit too quickly.

Rarity’s smile grew wider. “Excellent. Perhaps, if you have time in the next few days, you could come to Sugarcube Corner and meet one or two of my friends as well?”

I’d opened my mouth to agree with whatever suggestion she’d had, but I quickly closed it when what she’d said finally registered. “Sugarcube Corner?”

“Yes. Is there an issue? Not a fan of sweets, maybe?”

I snorted. “Sweets are all well and good, Miss Rarity, but I’m surprised you even deign to go to that madhouse.”

Her eyes narrowed slightly. “Madhouse?”

“There’s a mare, a bouncing, crazy mare, that works there. She’s either insane or too smart by half, and she’s aggravating beyond belief,” I said, chuckling.

“Oh, you mean my friend, Pinkie Pie?” Rarity asked, a cold edge in her voice.

“Yes, that’s her—” I froze mid-sentence. “...Friend?”

“Indeed,” Rarity said icily.

I slowly covered my eyes with my forehooves, sinking low in my seat. Damn damn damn. “I’m... afraid I’ve put my hoof in my mouth.”

“You have indeed. There are many things I can tolerate, Mister Case. Not noticing my mane is one thing, but speaking poorly of my friends is another thing entirely.”

I reached out a hoof across the table, touching her own lightly. “I sincerely apologize... if you understand anything about me, you must understand that I’m not one for loud craziness, and your friend Pinkie Pie’s... constant state of jubilation is irritating to me, on a personal level. She’s nice enough, but just a bit too much for my sensibilities.”

Rarity frowned lightly, her hoof tapping on the table. I waited quietly, hoping she’d accept my reasoning. After a moment, she spoke. “Well, I suppose it’s understandable, but I still don’t approve.”

I nodded. “I understand, and again, I’m sorry for speaking badly of her. I mean, I’m sure with a little time I could tolerate Pinkie in larger doses, but at the moment the idea of spending several hours at Sugarcube Corner sounds positively overwhelming.”

Rarity sighed, a small smile returning to her face. “I guess I can relate. It took me some time to really appreciate Pinkie Pie’s vivacious personality.” She leaned forward, one hoof reaching out towards my face. “Just don’t let me catch you bad-mouthing her again, hm?” She chuckled and lightly bopped my horn with her hoof before I could stop her.

I gasped, belatedly lifting a hoof to block her contact with my horn, and froze as a flash of white darted down my skull and popped behind my eyes, the occlusion filling my vision like sleet in the middle of a Manehattan storm. I exhaled slowly, fighting my sudden panic as my ever-present arcana was shattered, leaving me a shivering stallion instead of the gentlecolt Rarity had been introduced to. I lifted one hoof up to my eyes, rubbing at them slightly, as my other hoof reached out for Rarity’s own, fumbling. She hadn’t said anything, but I could tell that she knew something was wrong. She was quiet, uncharacteristically so, as if something was straining to be said but had been held back, forcefully.

I allowed my hoof to fall, mustering a smile behind my sudden fear. How was she to know what she’d done? What it echoed for me, personally? So simple a contact, yet filled with deep significance. The contact had dispelled all my genteel mannerisms, leaving me open and vulnerable, able to be seen for what I was.

Who was I kidding? I’d walled myself off for so long, kept ponies at a distance, and for good reason. I wasn’t protecting anypony but myself, and it was safer that way. I hadn’t yearned for that contact, lost for years, until now. I slid one hoof back slightly across the thin fabric of the table cloth, brushing past a glass of Electric Ale as it retreated. “E-excuse me, Miss Rarity... I just...”

The silence, something that I’d treasured for so long, stretched uncomfortably. My long-time ally, the crux of my writing and stories, hung around me like a funeral shroud. I suddenly found it oppressive, and I worked to fill the void with the faltering sound of my own voice. “Pardon me... I just need a moment...”

She didn’t respond. The sleet filling my head began to fade, the whiteness retreating to a more comforting black. I reached out again, desperately looking for her hoof, but I stretched out across the table and found it empty, excepting a plate, half-finished.

I was alone.

I grasped the edge of the table, fighting a torrent of conflicting emotion that threatened to pull me down like the current in an ocean. My horn pulsed with renewed strength as my focus returned and I desperately turned in a circle, standing from my chair and balancing on the clouds that threatened to pull away from beneath me and send me plunging. The other diners were silent, looking at me, but I paid them no heed. Where was she?

There. The chariot, with her inside, was pulling away, back towards the ground. She’d left. She’d seen. She’d known.

I sat down in my seat, slowly, the trembling in my extremities fading as numbness took over. I quietly finished my food, a long-standing ritual for my occasional solo outings to restaurants. Everything was just like it had always been, only there was a fresh, gaping hole that filled the air across the table from me.

Sweet Spot appeared silently, casting a sad smile my way, and set the check down on the table before slipping back through the cloud. I reached into my jacket pocket with my magic, pulling out a one-hundred bit piece, and set it down on the table. I idly ran a hoof along the jacket, feeling the stark texture of the material, the crisp and restrictive fold of the collar. I realized, with a frown, that I’d have to return the jacket to Rarity.

I mentally shrugged. Perhaps I could spare myself some awkwardness and simply give it to one of her friends. They could pass it along for me.

I loosened the cravat knot Rarity had tied my scarf in, then undid it entirely, wrapping it loosely around my neck like I normally would. A few moments later, the chariot pulled up to the side of the dining area. I stepped on, nodding to the two Pegasi mares as they both threw me small smiles. I didn’t need their pity, but perhaps I had earned it.

The wind blew back my mane as I rode down to earth alone, leaving the cloudy place above me behind.