• Published 5th Dec 2013
  • 2,096 Views, 39 Comments

Fire of Love - Alexpuddy



The meaning of Friendship is one thing. But what about the meaning of love?

  • ...
4
 39
 2,096

Chapter 2

Fire of Love

-Chapter 2-

Fresh morning sunlight shone through a crack in the curtains that covered the windows in Rarity’s bedroom. The small slice of light slid across the floor of the room, crawled up the side of Rarity’s bed, and rested upon her face. The features of her face glowed from the beam, revealing the prominent evidence of the agony she had endured the night before. The morning was silent, birds chirped outside, and a pit of anguish sat in Rarity’s stomach. There was a knock on the door, light and gentle.

“Rarity? Are you in there?” Came the sweet voice of Rarity’s sister, Sweetie Belle. “Rarity?”

Rarity slowly awoke to the noise that Sweetie Belle was making. However, unable to move or speak due to the pain she was feeling, Rarity laid silently in bed.

“I’m coming in.” Sweetie Belle said, opening the door to Rarity’s room. Upon seeing Rarity’s face, Sweetie Belle gasped and rushed over. “Rarity! What happened? Are you ok?”

Rarity slowly shook her head and buried her face under her thick quilt. She didn't want her sister, the filly that looked up to her as a role model, to see her like this. “I-i’m fine, Sweetie. I’m perfectly, fine. Why don’t you run along and…. and go play with your friends or something?” Rarity curled up into a ball and wrapped the quilt tightly around her shivering body.

Sweetie Belle, the reluctant filly that she was, got up onto the bed and gently began to stroke Rarity’s mane. “Rarity, you’re my big sister, and we sister’s have to take care of each other. I’ll always be there for you, just like how you've always been there for me. Now please, tell me what’s wrong.” Sweetie Belle slowly pulled the covers back and was slightly taken aback to see genuine tears in Rarity’s eyes. The white filly gently wrapped her arms around her sister and hugged her tightly.

After getting a hold of herself and managing to make herself speak straight, Rarity spoke up. “Oh Sweetie Belle. I don’t understand why I did it. I told him it wouldn't work out, but I didn't expect him to run away. I thought he would understand and just accept it, like he always has.”

“What do you mean, sis? Who are you talking about?” Sweetie Belle asked, confused about who Rarity was talking about.

“Sweetie Belle, I’m talking about Spike. Last night, he told me loved me. And he really meant it. He told me that he had loved me since the day we had met. But I pushed him away. It’s my fault. Spike’s somewhere out in the wild and it’s all because of me.” She hugged Sweetie Belle.

“You love him too, don’t you? I mean, you two have known each other for years. There’s no way you couldn't love him.”

“Sweetie, I don’t know how I think of him.” Rarity slowly got up from her bed, went over to the window, and opened the blinds. Light flooded into the room, shining on Rarity’s clean and tidy room. She went back over to the bed and sat down next to Sweetie Belle. “I have always loved him, but more in a little brother way, and he seemed to love me in a big sister sort of way. But recently, Spike seemed to be making bolder advances upon me up until last night, when he told me the truth. I guess that’s what pushed me to tell him that it wouldn't work between us. He put me in a situation that made me uncomfortable and unprepared. But now… now it’s too late.” Rarity fell back into a torrent of tears.

“Oh Rarity.” Sweetie Belle hugged Rarity closely, gently stroking her mane. “You can still fix this, big sister. I believe in you. But, we’re going to need help from somepony if we are going to get Spike back.”

Rarity sniffled and looked up at Sweetie Belle. “And who would that be?”

“Spikes mother.” Sweetie Belle smiled and giggled slightly as she said the words.

“Huh? Who are you talking abo…” Rarity’s eyes widened and the tears stopped falling as she realized who Sweetie Belle was talking about. “Oh.”