• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 1,791 Views, 50 Comments

MLPU: Spider-Mare: Cat's Claws - TheInvincibleIronBrony



Spider-Mare faces off against the Black Cat. A new thief in town with a penchant for stealing from criminals.

  • ...
2
 50
 1,791

Frustrations

Scootaloo swung through the buildings of Manehattan, wearing her Spider-Mare costume, as a black topless muscle car racing through traffic below her. The stallion in the passenger seat turned around and pointed a pistol at the costumed mare above him. He fired three shots and Scootaloo ducked and flipped out of the way of each of them.

"Really?" Scootaloo asked as she swung low and landed on the back of the car. She knocked the gun out of the stallion's hand. "I handle armed thugs almost everyday. You really thought you'd be the first to put a bullet in me?" the young mare asked. Before the stallion could answer Scootaloo shot a glob of web at his mouth. "That was rhetorical," she confirmed turning to the driver. "Hey pal think you can just pull over?" she asked. The driver swerved the car trying to dislodge the extra passenger. "Guess that's a no," Scootaloo said. She jumped onto the hood of the car and started shooting webs at the road in front if the car. She then leaped skidding as her feet hit the asphalt. Scootaloo pulled on the webs in her hands and the car quickly slowed to a stop.

Scootaloo walked around to the drivers side of the car and webbed the drivers hands to the steering wheel before he could get out. The passenger clambered out of the other side and Scootaloo jumped over the car after him. She had just finished webbing the second stallion to the car when she heard sirens coming down the street.

"Hey, they finally caught up. You two stay outta trouble alright?" Scootaloo told them as she took a step back.

"Way to go Spidey!" a passerby shouted as Scootaloo jumped onto a street lamp.

"Just another day for your friendly neighborhood Spider-Mare!" Scootaloo yelled back as she swung away.

/////////////////////////

Scootaloo climbed in through her bedroom window almost an hour later. She quickly took off the red and blue costume she wore most of the time when she was out and replaced it with an orange t-shirt and a pair of faded jeans. She then stuffed the costume under her bed and left her room.

Scootaloo entered the living room and was surprised to see her Aunt Cup Cake and her twin children, Pound and Pumpkin watching the television set with rapt attention

"Oh, Scootaloo take a seat. Rainbow Dash is having a press conference about that attack last night," Cup said, knowing Scootaloo was a huge fan of the rainbow maned mare.

Scootaloo quickly took a seat next to her aunt. Rainbow Dash spoke for a moment about the attack until the yellow pegasus behind her whispered in her ear.

"Sorry. Right so I'm just gonna tell the truth here. The truth is," Rainbow said, and then she seemed to freeze for a moment. The pegasus behind her nudged Rainbow. Rainbow recomposed herself. "The truth is," Rainbow set down the cue cards and looked right at the cameras. "I am Iron Mare."

Scootaloo's jaw dropped at that statement. Rainbow Dash, her idol, was a super hero. "That's awesome!" the young mare shouted catching her family off guard.

"If you say so," Cup said sitting up from the couch. "That mare has had more drunken outbursts on the internet than any pop star I've heard of," the blue mare stated, skeptical about the statement Rainbow Dash had made on live television. "To be honest I'm skeptical about all of this super hero business."

Scootaloo frowned at that. "As I recall a pair of heroes saved you and the twins from the Lizard," Scootaloo pointed out.

"And blew up the kitchen," Cup countered. The mention of that incident seemed to distract Cup Cake. The older mare shook her head. "My point is Spider-Mare and now Rainbow Dash are walking a fine line between hero and public menace, with all of the property damage," the earth pony said as she walked downstairs.

Scootaloo watched her leave, her aunt's words weighing heavily in her mind.

"I think super heroes are cool," Pound said, agreeing with his surrogate sister. Scootaloo smiled at the small comfort.

///////////////////////////

"But daddy, it's the new winter line. If I don't get it I'll be wearing all my clothes from last winter," Diamond Tiara pleaded with her father. She had been trying to get Filthy Rich to fund a shopping trip for her and her best friend, Silver Spoon.

"No Diamond. You'll have to make due. Things aren't going well at work, so we'll have to make due with a tighter budget," Filthy explained as he sorted through some files on his desk. He and his daughter were talking in his home office.

Diamond began to pout and her father sighed in frustration. "I'm gonna be the laughing stock of the whole school," she said, looking away from her father.

Filthy chuckled. "I'd be a lucky stallion if being teased at school was all I had to be worried about," he countered. Diamond rolled here eyes and crossed her arms, knowing one of her fathers lectures on principles was coming. "When I was your age my father hadn't even gotten the family business up and running yet," Filthy explained, referring to the shipping company he had inherited from his father, Stinkin Rich. It transported cargo all over the world for companies that didn't want to take the expense to ship their own products.

"I had to make my own fortune. Accepting whatever jobs I could get. I wasn't doing too bad either," Filthy continued.

"So why did you take over Grampa's company?" Diamond asked, curiously.

Filthy sighed. "My work at the time involved a lot of travel and I wanted a more stable life," Filthy explained.

"Sounds boring to me," Diamond commented, trying to find an interesting decoration in her father's office. She couldn't spot anything noteworthy.

Filthy smiled. "Well I got a beautiful daughter out of the deal, so I'm not complaining," he said.

Diamond rolled her eyes. "Alright I get it. Be grateful for what I have or something," Diamond replied as she made her way to the door.

"Diamond don't forget your gymnastics class is in an hour. I don't want you to be late," Filthy said as Diamond opened the door.

"I haven't been late to a class ever. And I've been going since I was three," Diamond said as she left the room.

////////////////////////////////

Scootaloo munched on hay fries, nervously watching her best friend, Dinky, across the diner table they usually sat at on these meetings. The unicorn was busy reading a news paper article from the latest issue of the Daily Bugle.

"Did he say anything good about me yet?" Scootaloo asked, stuffing more hayfries into her mouth.

Dinky looked up and sighed. "Do you consider 'wall crawling menace' a compliment?" Dinky asked, trying to make light of the article.

Scootaloo ran a hand through her mane. "I suppose that's better than 'Manehattan's terror' or 'criminal mastermind'," the Pegasus joked, shoving the rest of the fries to Dinky. "Celestia, what did I ever do to this guy?"

"Namby Pamby is just a news editor trying to sell papers. He doesn't really care how it effects the ponies he writes about," Dinky reasoned.

Scootaloo gave a forced laugh at that. "Really cause Spider-Mare is old news compared to... what did that Canterlot paper call her? Oh, right the 'Invincible Iron Mare'," she said, clearly unhappy with how the press treated her.

Dinky gave her friend a sympathetic look. "I think the main difference is Rainbow Dash doesn't have a secret identity. If she causes millions of dollars in property damage, there's somepony to pay the bills," Dinky explained.

Scootaloo sighed in annoyance. "And if I blow up, say a bakery, the cops can't pin it on me," Scootaloo guessed.

"Basically," Dinky confirmed, frowning at Scootaloo's frustration. "I know it sucks, but you had to expect a few naysayers. I mean what's one paper slandering your name compared to an entire city of fans?" Dinky asked, eliciting a smile from her friend.

"I guess things could be worse," Scootaloo agreed, grabbing another handful of hayfries. "I mean what's worse than a ten foot lizard?" she asked jokingly.

////////////////////////

Diamond Tiara arrived home, sweaty and exhausted from her gymnastics class wearing her workout clothes. She'd been top in her class for years. Her teacher even said she was ready for the Equestrian Games. Something she was extremely proud of.

"Dad! I'm home!" she called out into the upper class condo, she and her father lived in.

The door to her father's office opened to Diamond's left and her father appeared, seeming nervous. "Sweet heart, I'm sorry. I'm meeting a potential business partner at the moment," Filthy explained. Diamond peered past her father into his office and saw a rather thuggish looking earth pony stallion sitting in a chair. "You'll have to feed yourself tonight. Sorry," Filthy said apologetically.

"No problem," Diamond replied, weary of the stallion in her father's office. Filthy gave her a nod before reentering his office, shutting the door behind himself.

Curious, Diamond walked over to the door and put her ear to it.

"You have a very beautiful daughter, Mr. Rich," an unfamiliar voice said, obviously the thuggish stallion.

"Don't go there," Filthy replied, a dangerous edge in his voice.

"I meant nothing by it," the stallion replied. "But I might start getting a little more threatening if you don't come up with the money you owe. Mr. Fiscal isn't a very patient stallion," the earth pony said.

"I'll get the money. I just need a little more time. Dash industries ended their contract with us over the shipment to Saddle Arabia and they were a big portion of our yearly income," Filthy explained.

The earth pony groaned in frustration. "I'm willing to give you another few weeks," the stallion relented. "Please don't give me a reason to be threatening," he finished. Diamond heard the stallions start to move towards the door and quickly ran to the hallway a few feet away. She peeked around the corner and watched the unknown stallion leave without another word.

Filthy stood by the door and scratched his head, frustrated. "Everything okay dad?" Diamond asked, stepping out of hiding.

Filthy turned startled by his daughter. "Yeah. I was just... setting up a new contract is all," he lied, smiling at Diamond. "I need to go to the office and get a few things. Don't wait up," Filthy said as he moved towards the door as well. Diamond only nodded in understanding and waited for her father to leave.

Once he was gone the pink mare walked into her father's office and started searching through the bookshelves. She knew her father had a security camera hidden somewhere. She had been caught playing in the room several times when she was a filly. Her plan was to get the tape of what she had just heard and take it to the police. Nopony threatens my dad, she thought angrily.

After about ten minutes of searching, Diamond found the lens and started following the wire that sprouted from the back. She knew it wasn't connected to the desk top computer on the desk, because she had looked through it's many files before and never found anything.

Diamond was surprised to find the wire feeding through the wall, that she had always thought connected to the out of service elevator shaft that should have been there. The doors had never worked on this floor as far as Diamond knew.

Diamond tried to peek through the small hole and put a hand on a row of books for support. She felt her hoof start to slip and accidentally pulled a book out of place. The book froze halfway out of place and to the young mares surprise part of the book case swung inwards toward the abandoned elevator shaft.

Cautiously, Diamond peeked into the surprisingly well lit room and her jaw dropped at the contents. The walls were plastered with old news clippings, detailing the actions of a famous cat burglar from several years ago. The rooms centerpiece was what caught Diamonds attention though. A black leather suit that looked like it might have fit her father many years ago, was draped on a mannequin. A wooden box lay at the foot of the pedestal.

Diamond opened the box and she pulled out a black face mask and a very long whip.

"What the hell is all this?" Diamond asked herself in wonderment.

Author's Note:

First thongs first, everpony give a rpu d of applause to the great and helpful Twilight Mercer. He's going to be my go to guy for a lot of Spidey stuff. Now I know my way around Spidey's world enough to know what I'm doing, but the symbiotes are going to become part of that world soon and Mercer has a deeper appreciation for the true natures of the characters. I'm brining him in on this story so he can familiarize himself with Scootaloo's environment so were ready when the time comes.

Second. This is not Spider-Mare 2. This is just a short story telling us what Spider-Mare us up to while I set up the Harmonies with my other co-writers.

Three. Couldn't find any good cover art for his story, so I'm going to forgo that for now, unless one of you guts find something good.

4 enjoy. And Stay Tuned.