• Published 11th Mar 2012
  • 4,839 Views, 172 Comments

A Trip to Remember - Gallifrey



Twilight, Luna, AJ and Rainbow take a camping trip, but what adventures lie for them on the way?

  • ...
17
 172
 4,839

Hot Air Balloon

A Trip to Remember

by Gallifrey

Chapter Six
Hot Air Balloon

It was five o’clock when Twilight arrived in Ponyville, and she walked back to her home at a leisurely pace, picking up some carrots and blackberries to snack on as she went.
Once back at her home she set down her bags in her room, glad to be relieved of the burden.

“Now to find Spike.”

Twilight called his name several times, to no answer. She looked in her bed, the various cubbyholes he sometimes napped in, and the kitchen, in case he was eating. She called him again, and a muffled grunt came from the cellar door. It opened as a sleepy looking Spike emerged.

“Spike,” said Twilight sternly, “did you spend the whole time I was away asleep?”

“Not all of it,” said Spike.

“Urgh, you’re gonna have to stop being so lazy Spike! Now come and help me get the balloon ready.”

“The balloon? What for?”

Spike followed Twilight into the back garden to the shed where they kept the balloon when not in use.

“Rainbow Dash is stuck in Cloudsdale… injured her wing… need to bring her down to ground,” grunted Twilight as she used her magic to drag out the basket of the hot air balloon. She positioned it on its side.

“Spike, can you ignite the burner?” asked Twilight once the she was ready. Spike took a deep breath and belched a tongue of emerald green flame at the burner, which erupted in dancing red fire. The balloon inflated quickly and rose up vertically. Twilight turned off the flame when the balloon was ready.

“Coming Spike?”

“Nah, I need to feed Opalescence - better get to it considering I haven’t done it yet today.”

Twilight rolled her eyes at the dragon.

“Alright, see you later then,” she said as she magically turned the flame on again and slowly rose into the sky.

Twilight rose high above Ponyville, and gently directed the balloon with her magic towards the great city in the sky some distance away. It had been quite some time since she last flew her balloon, and she had quite forgotten how tranquil it made her feel to be silently floating over Equestria. Silent until she needed to use the burner at any rate. She looked out over the edge of the basket to see Sweet Apple Acres directly beneath her, and she fancied she saw an orange blob far below in the fields of carrots. She waved, on the off chance that Applejack had seen her drifting overhead. Twilight hummed to herself as she started to float over woods and hills. She had brought her carrots and blackberries with her and she started munching on them as she murmured under her breath:

“I’ll be out of my mind,
And you’ll be out of ideas pretty soon,
So let’s spend, the afternoon,
In a cold hot air balloon.”

She didn’t know where she had heard the song, it sounded like one she had heard long ago, only to be remembered now. She finished her carrots and she started on the blackberries.

-------------------

A while later, Twilight arrived in Cloudsdale. She landed in the first open area she saw, and found herself in a plaza near the centre of the city. Twilight felt very conspicuous as she descended, with many ponies looking up at the odd sight of a unicorn in a hot air balloon. Twilight quickly performed the spell that let her walk on clouds as the balloon landed. She hopped out, to the astonishment of the on looking ponies, but didn’t fall through the cloud. She quickly tethered the balloon to a nearby lamp post and looked around. She had no idea where Skyloft Street was, so she walked up to the nearest pony to her and asked.

“Sure I know where it is,” said an elderly stallion, “straight up thataways.” He pointed with his hoof.

“Thank you sir,” said Twilight as she cantered up in the direction he pointed. Twilight passed Buck Road, Beak Avenue, Loftwing Street, and then Skyloft Street. She reached number forty-two and knocked four times with her hoof.

A bright yellow pegasus with a fiery mane answered.

“Ah, hello, Twilight isn’t it? You here for Dash?”

“Hi, yes, is she in?”

“Yeah, I’ll go get her, come in.”

Twilight stepped inside and marvelled at all of Spitfire’s awards - just like everypony who entered her home.

“Dash, your friend is here!”

“I’m coming! Heya Twilight!”

“Hi Dash, you ready to go? We can’t wait too long or the balloon will start to deflate.”

“Ready to leave when you are Twi’. Thanks a lot for letting me stay here today Spitfire.”

“Anything for a friend Dash.” Rainbow squeed slightly. Twilight tried not to roll her eyes at Dash’s reaction as they left.

“See ya Spitfire!” called Rainbow.

“Later Dash! Visit me sometime once you can fly again!”

------------

“So Rainbow, how exactly did you injure your wing?”

They were floating back to Sweet Apple Acres, sharing what was left of the blackberries as Rainbow told Twilight how she had sprained her wing.

“How long ‘til you’ll be able to fly again?”

“Spitfire said about three weeks, but I hope it heals faster than that - I already miss flying.”

“Aren’t we flying now though?” asked Twilight, puzzled.

Rainbow sighed.

“Yeah,” she began, looking out to the Sun, which was on its way down as early evening began. “But it’s not the same: there’s no thrill of speed or the wind rushing through my mane or anything up here.”

Rainbow pouted at the prospect of being tethered to the ground for so long.

“At least it’s not permanent or anything,” said Twilight reassuringly.

“Hey yeah, that’s true,” said Rainbow, brightening up a bit, “I forgot to ask you, how was Canterlot?”

Twilight told Rainbow of how Princess Celestia was impressed with her new magical discovery.

“She also said we should have a holiday.”

“Who? Us?”

“Yeah, well, us, Luna and whoever else we want to come.”

“Is AJ coming?” asked Rainbow.

“I’d be more than happy for Applejack to come, you should ask her later.”

“I will! She better say yes, that’d be awesome.”

Twilight grinned but said nothing as she saw Sweet Apple Acres come into view over a hill, and let the balloon gently descend.

Twilight looked keenly for a certain orange earth pony. She soon spotted her, pulling a cart with baskets in it. Twilight steered and the balloon came to land in the field. Applejack heard the thud as the balloon landed and turned to see what caused it. Releasing herself from the cart, she wandered over to them.

“Howdy gals,” said Applejack cheerfully, “I guess it was you who ah saw earlier then?”

“Yes, did you see me waving?”

“Ah thought I did, but was none too sure at the time. What did need the b’loon fer anyway?”

“I’ll let Rainbow explain,” said Twilight, as the cyan mare hopped out of the basket gingerly. “I need to be off now anyway.”

“A’right, see ya later Twi’”

“Bye Twilight, thanks for the lift!”

“No problem, see you girls later!” yelled Twilight over the roar of the flames as she ascended back into the sky.