• Published 11th Mar 2012
  • 4,833 Views, 172 Comments

A Trip to Remember - Gallifrey



Twilight, Luna, AJ and Rainbow take a camping trip, but what adventures lie for them on the way?

  • ...
17
 172
 4,833

The Lonely God

A Trip to Remember

by Gallifrey

Chapter Nine
The Lonely God

“Ponyfeathers!” snarled Rainbow to herself as she walked away from the library. “What if she suspects that I—”

She stopped dead in the middle of the street. The realisation had only just hit her.

“Do I really like Applejack?” she said, eyes wide. She started walking again, much more slowly, “This is gonna take some serious thinking.”

“Miss! Miss!” came an enthusiastic voice from just behind her.

Rainbow turned around to see a brown stallion with an hourglass cutie mark approaching her with a fairly large tin with a dent in its side.

“Yeah?”

“Here ya go!” he said cheerfully, “That sorts everything out nicely.”

“Thanks Mr. Whooves.”

“That’d be Doctor,” he corrected her, not unkindly.

“Sorry, Doctor. Um... hey... how did you know to give this to me?” asked Rainbow, confused.

“Well, you see, it’s very simple… and erm…”

He suddenly bolted away from her.

Rainbow, wanting to know what was going on, charged after him, gritting her teeth at the jolts of pain running though her wing as it was jostled under its bandage. The Doctor ran around a corner and down a lane that left the buildings of Ponyville behind. He then dashed to the right, behind some bushes and trees. Rainbow made to follow him, but couldn’t find him. She ventured a few more yards into the undergrowth and came across a very odd sight.
There, surrounded by vegetation, was a lonely, wooden, blue box. Rainbow Dash felt very unnerved by it- it felt very alien.

“Doctor?” she called, there was no answer. She assumed he must be hiding in the box. She crept cautiously up to it and knocked, calling his name again. This time, the door opened ever so slightly.

“Yes? Who is it? How did you get here?”

“I’m Rainbow, I just followed you here,” said Rainbow, nonplussed.

“Did you now?” said the stallion, quickly slipping out and shutting the door before Rainbow could see inside. “And why did you do that?”

“You gave me this?” she said holding up the custard tin. “And you somehow knew to give it to me, when it was Applejack who asked for it.”

The Doctor’s mind was whirring as the pieces fell into place. His ears perked up when he realised what was going on.

“Aha!” he exclaimed, startling Rainbow slightly. “Tell me young lady, how long ago exactly did I give this to you?”

“About five minutes ago,” said Rainbow, wondering why the stallion was acting so stupid.

“Brilliant! Thank you, I have to go now, I have things that need to have been done, cheerio!” and without another word, he went back into the box and shut the door on her.

“Wait!” Rainbow yelled, “What are you doing in the box? You’re making no sense!”

She thought she heard a muffled sneeze from somewhere behind the mysterious box.

Meanwhile in the TARDIS, the Doctor was spinning around his controls, pressing buttons and setting gauges.

“Oh what fun is there in making sense?” he said as he finally pulled a lever that set the time machine in motion. “Back to five minutes ago!” The TARDIS lurched, and the tin of custard that was set on the console fell off and hit the floor. The Doctor picked it up and tutted at the large dent in it. “This is your fault, sexy!” he said to the machine around him.

Once it stopped, he cautiously opened the door and slipped out, carrying the tin with him.

“Shoot! I forgot to ask her where she was when I gave it to her.”

Luckily for him, a multi-coloured pegasus with a deeply troubled face was walking straight past him.

“Miss! Miss!” he called.

“Yeah?”

“Here ya go!” he said cheerfully, “That sorts everything out nicely.”

“Thanks Mr. Whooves.”

“That’d be Doctor.”

“Sorry, Doctor. Um... hey... how did you know to give this to me?”

“Well, you see, it’s very simple… and erm…” Quick! Think! She said she followed me to the TARDIS. So back we go!

He bolted. Rainbow gave chase, as soon as he was amongst the undergrowth near the TARDIS, he crept quietly to a hollow full of flowers to hide.

“Doctor?” Rainbow called. He remained silent. She called again, and his past self answered. They went through the whole conversation.
The Doctor in the hollow was trying not to sneeze from all the pollen around him.

“Brilliant! Thank you, I have to go now, I have things that need to have been done, cheerio!”

“Wait!” Rainbow yelled, “What are you doing in the box? You’re making no sense!”

“Atchoo!” The Doctor sneezed into his hooves, not being able to stop himself, hoping that Rainbow didn’t hear.

He heard a gasp as the TARDIS began to thrum and disappear.

“What the buck just happened?” said Rainbow, utterly dumbfounded. She decided to get away from where she was as fast as possible, so she sprinted off back to Ponyville.

The Doctor waited until she was long gone, then breathed a sigh of relief as he made his way back to his beloved time machine.

----------

A very flustered and tired Rainbow Dash arrived back at Applejack’s home in the mid-afternoon. She sought out the orange work-pony, and found her high up on some rickety old steps, checking the levels of the water tanks.

“Hey there sugar cube,” she called down, “ah see ya got that custard.”

“Heh, yeah,” said Rainbow distractedly, looking up at her. Applejack swished her mane out of her eyes and Rainbow felt a tingly sensation run through her body.

“You alright Rainbow? You look mighty troubled,” the earth pony said, coming down the steps.

“I’m fine!” said Rainbow with her trademark bravado, “Just been a weird day so far.”

“Was that because of the Doctor by any chance?”

Rainbow nodded.

“He’s always been an odd one,” said Applejack.

Rainbow suddenly yawned.

“Ah’m not that borin’ am I?” said Applejack playfully.

“Oh no, it’s just that I’ve had an eventful day, and I’ve not walked that far in years. My body really isn’t used to such distances on hoof. Not like yours,” she added, looking Applejack over swiftly.

“Aw shucks Rainbow, you do know how to flatter me, but you’ll always be stronger than ah am.”

“Only in my wings maybe,” Dash chuckled.

“Nah, you’re stronger,” Applejack teased.

“No, you’re stronger.”

“You!”

“No you!”

“Ya know there’s only one way to sort this out don’t ya?” said Applejack, the gleam of competition in her eyes.

“Hoof wrestle?”

“Hoof wrestle.”

They wandered over to a nearby stump and locked hooves.

“Three! Two! One! Go!” they said together.

Both of them snorted under the strain of the wrestle- they were very evenly matched. Rainbow meanwhile was also wrestling with two opposing thoughts in her head.

Let her win! It’ll make her happy, you want to see her happy.
You can’t lose! You never lose! You’re the Dash!
She will be in a good mood.
You’ll be in a good mood if you win.
Let her win!
You win!
Lose!
Win!
Lose!
Win!
LOSE!

Rainbow Dash’s fore hoof faltered for a fraction of a second with her inner turmoil, and that was all Applejack needed to swing her hoof over and claim victory.

“Hooo-weeee! That was a real close one Rainbow!”

“Sure was!” said Rainbow grinning at her.

Inside she was a little disappointed at her loss, but was equally happy that Applejack was happy.

“No hard feelings? Ah know ya don’t take kindly t’losing.”

“Nah, it’s okay, besides, I still beat you all those other times.”

She stuck her tongue out playfully.

“Heh, ya sure did. You go get a nap, I’ll wake you up fer dinner.”

“Sounds like a plan! See ya later.”

She briefly nuzzled Applejack affectionately before walking in the direction of the house, whistling, leaving a certain humble earth pony with a slight blush on her face.

I guess I do like her, thought Rainbow. She can give me the thrill of competition like nopony else! Not to mention her honesty, kindness, loyalty, laughter, generosity and that special feeling I get only around her, what should I call that? Magic I guess…

She suddenly realised she had just listed off the qualities of the Elements of Harmony. She chuckled.

Well, she does have all those things! Loyalty is totally the best one anyway.