• Published 29th Nov 2013
  • 1,616 Views, 50 Comments

Who is our big sister? - Nesfex



After a trip, Marble Pie and Limestone Pie began to wonder who her big sister really is.

  • ...
1
 50
 1,616

New Sheriffs Around

The journey looked better like it was finally becoming better. There were no secrets nor doubts. Limestone did not want to what her cutie mark might be, she wanted to search for it herself. She didn't feel the urge to get it, but she now was curious about it. After all, they are cutie mark crusaders, and that's one of their duties.

Following the map, they quickly found the town of Appleloosa. Marble took the receipt and checked "It says we need to deliver them at “the digging grounds” outside of the town. We'll meet a pony named... The doctor?"

"The doctor? Doctor who?" Asked Limestone

"It doesn't say. Anyway, we need to get moving" said Marble while moving to the place.

Instead of entering the town and look around, they headed straight to the location point on the receip. They were two days late, and the pony most lickely was going to charge them for that.

When they arrived they noticed big holes on the ground, and many ponies digging, all of them were wearing a complete suit. Some of them dug the ground, and others carried rocks from tunnels on the walls. The holes were actually very deep, there was a very narrow path were ponies could walk from a hole to another, and long stairs at the sides. The Pies saw a trailer right in the middle of all the holes on the walking path, and without knowing who to turned to they figured that might be a good place to start. They got to it and Limestone knocked the door. A brown pony with white man came out from there "Yes? Can I help you?" He said.

"So sorry for being late. We have a rock delivery for... The doctor" said Limestone.

The pony was very happy after hearing this "Brilliant, you got right on time. We knew after the constant rains of these days that it would take you a couple of days to get here..."

The sisters looked at each other. Apparently they were not going to be charged after all. And the pony continued "But I was expecting to see your father"

Marble took off her mane from her face and said "He injured himself while loading the rocks for the trip. We are doing it in his place"

"That's weird. He looked so strong when I made the order. I hope he gets well” The doctor said and thought to himself for a moment.

"Sorry, I didn't even introduce myself. I'm Doctor Crackbone" he said.

"We are Limestone and Marble Pie. Aaaaand here are your rocks" Limestone introduce them while taking two huge sacks of tephra rocks and put them on the ground.

"Great! We use this rocks in an tiresome process to determine how old fossils are. You see, we located fosiles here, enormous creatures that roamed Equestria even long before Equestria was even found. And things we think might be pony fossils as well..." He found ound himself talking too much

"Sorry, as you might think we don't interact much with other ponies. Here's your pay” He gave them a big bag with bits.

Suddenly a very strong and tall came running, they’ve never seen a pony so tall, but the all the ponies looked very big. He was hearing the suit and they couldn’t see his face "Sir, the rocks at the base of the crane in the underground level broke"

"Shoot! The are it’s so irregular we needed to use rocks to balance it out. We need stronger rocks" said the doctor.

Marble remembered the igneous rocks they recovered from Gilda "Excuse. We... We have these, they aren't exactly for this kind of work, but they might be of help"

The strong pony took one of the rocks and checked it "They can bear the weight for a while. At least until we find more. We need to get this job soon"

"I guess you got yourselves a deal, girls" The professor returned to his trailer and came with more money.

After accepting the money, and having just one more bag to deliver, they headed to the exit to move on their journey. But before exiting the digging grounds the doctor came to them running "Hey, sorry I gave you the wrong bag of money. I need it back"

"Sure, here you go. Where’s the right one?" sald kindly Limestone.

"Err... I guess I left it at the trailer. I think I have to go back" he apologized.

They looked annoyed, but he bought an extra bag of rocks, and they felt they should do something for him "I can accompany you. You can wait here" Limestone said. Marble was very curious about the whole fossil thing, so she accepted for her to look around.

While her sister and the Doctor went to the trailer to write the letter, Marble inspected the area with her eyes. She saw the holes around were empty, but tons of equipment and a few bones could be seen. She was at the very edge of the walking path, but she was too distracted looking at everything to noticed.

Suddenly her hooves started to slide. She tripped and slide to the place. She couldn’t grab on to anything. The cart was so heavy and start falling faster, it was dragging the pony down. But before she reached the edge and fall, a stallion came to her rescue. He ran to the cart and using her back hooves pushed it and prevented them to fall.

The stallion spoke with a very southern accent "Hey! Yo awright?"

"Y-y-yes! I think" answered Marble.

"Okay, listen. We are not safe yet. But we can make it. Ah’ need you to be strong, okay?" He said

"I'm scared" Marble hooves was shaking intensely

"Ah’ know you are, but Ah’ won't let you down- You can trust me" He said. His voice was soft, and encouraging. And she had no other option.

"Okay. What do I do now?" Marble was too scared to think.

"The only way to solve this it's working together. I'm gonna push, but you gotta try to pull. Be careful, this sand is very slippery. Okay, ya ready? 1... 2... 3 Pull!" Yelled the stallion as he switch position to push better.

They combined their strength. Marble placed her hooves deep in the ground before taking a step, the stallion pushed the cart with everything he got. And after a while they managed to get back on the road.

Marble took away the handles of the cart and turned to see her savior. It was a yellow stallion with light brown mane wearing a jacket and a hat, who said "Hi, I'm -" but before he could finish his sentence Marble hugged him.

Limestone and the doctor saw in the distance what had happened and ran to the place, but they arrived once everything has ended "What happened?! Are you alright?" Asked Limestone.

"Yeah, thanks to... What was your name?" Asked Marble.

"Yup, I'm Braeburn. Junior sheriff of the town of Appleloosa” said the stallion now known as Braeburn.

“Thank you! Thank you very much! I’m Marble Pie and this is my sister Limestone Pie. Rock deliverers from the… Pie Rock Farm” Marble felt like her introduction was not as exciting as his.

"You're always at the right time and right place, Braeburn" said the Doctor.

"Good luck I guess. But Ah actually came for another reason, this... Pretty lady was a happy coincidence" braeburn replied looking at Marble

"Is something wrong?" The doctor worried.

"There was another buffalo attempting to steal dynamite from the town. I followed near here but I lost track of him. Did any of you saw him?" Braeburn kept looking around for the buffalo.

"So sorry, lil sherif, but we have not seen a buffalo around" apologized the doctor

Braeburn throw his hat to the ground in anger "Darn it! Ah’ gotta look in the whole area. It's gonna take days"

"W-we can help you" Said Marble nervously. Limestone looked strangely how her sister offered assistance "I-I mean, we can go with you cover more ground... It... It's the least I can do for saving my life"

"Mmh... Ah do need all the help I can get, and four more eyes be of great aid" Braeburn put his hat back on and consider the possibilities "Awright, you are in. But first we need to inform the sheriff" Limestone's jaw dropped, but there was nothing she could do now.

They headed back to Appleloosa to speak to the sheriff. Braeburn led the way while the Pies followed him. Limestone poked her sister's shoulders to get her attention "Hey sis, I would very much like to know: What the hay were you thinking?! We are already late and we don't have time for this"

Marble kept her eyes on the road and on her guide "He saved me, Lime. I need to repay him for..." She stopped when Braeburn looked back and smiled to Marble.

"Hello! Equestria to Marble!" Limestone waved her hoof to snap her sister out of her trance.

Marble noticed sister hoof and awoke from her state "Err... I mean, he saved me and I have to thank him. Besides, we've been helping ponies all the way until here. And you didn't complain then"

Limestone suspected there was something going on, but her sister was right. She will let her have it this time.

They arrived to the sheriff's office and were greeted by a little buffalo "Got any luck Braeburn? And who are these?"

"Nah, Ah lost him... Again. But this time we'll have some help. Girls this is junior sheriff Miss Little Strongheart. Strongheart, these are Miss Marble and Miss Limestone Pie" Answered Braeburn very optimistic.

A big pony with dark mane and a long mustached came from the office "Well, if that's true that'll be the first good news we'd have in days"

"It's true, sir! We report for duties, sir! We await for commands, sir!" Replied Marble placing her right hoof on her forehead as a salute.

"Yeah... What she said" Limestone wasn't very enthusiastic about it.

"Good, I'm sheriff Silverstar. Now come on in, we have to discuss the plan" Said the sheriff.

It was a small office with three cells and a table. On the table was a map of Appleloosa and the areas around it with a few X marked. They gathered around the table and the sheriff began to explain "Alright, these are the areas the buffalos were seen before disappearing. I have many ponies scanning the areas, and some others patrolling the town. What I want you to do is to go to this place and look for clues..."

"Wait sir. Ah’ just followed the buffalo who attempted to steal the dynamite and he disappeared near the digging grounds" Braeburn interrupted.

The sheriff looked at his map and noticed that none of the marked places were near the digging grounds "This could mean those ponies are in danger. We need to check that area too. You'll split to cover more ground. Strongheart and Limestone you go here to the east of the town. Braeburn and Marble you go to the digging grounds"

Limestone didn't like the idea of being with someone she didn't know and away from her sister "Wait sir, are you sure..."

"Buffalos are quick and strong. If you go on your own they will beat you in a second. You need to be with an experience and trained officer, or at least one in training. Prepare everything and leave in 15 minutes" the sheriff was very strict and firm on his decision, but he was right.

They went to a house that had tons of equipment. Each of them got a saddle bag with a rope, two hoofcuffs, five small bombs, five smoke bombs, and a gun flares with three different colors blue, green, and red (Blue meant that they had to retreat. Green that they found a clue. Red that they were compromised or that an enemy was attacking. They will shoot a flare to alert the rest of the ponies). They also got bronze stars for the sisters.

"What is this for?" Asked Limestone

"You are not officers, but this is a sign that means that you work for the law and justice. Like, honorary sheriff's" answered kindly Strongheart.

After getting ready, they all headed to the border of the town. Before keep going they wished each other good luck. They did not know what they will encounter, but Limestone feared they were not ready to face it.

Author's Note:

Somehow the chapter was deleted more than once. Do any of you know something about it? If it happens, please let me know.

You were expecting some other doctor, weren't you?