• Published 29th Nov 2013
  • 1,616 Views, 50 Comments

Who is our big sister? - Nesfex



After a trip, Marble Pie and Limestone Pie began to wonder who her big sister really is.

  • ...
1
 50
 1,616

The Real Self

Marble opened her eyes. For the first time in years the light of the sun or the hoofsteps of her father didn't wake her up, instead it was her own body feeling the necessity. And the first thing she saw was her sister staring at her with a big smile “Good morning, sleepy head. Ready for today?” She would have been startled if it was the first time that it happened. Marble didn't say a thing, she walked to the bathroom to clean her face. Limestone took the note Babs Seed gave them and read “Okay, it says here that the first thing a crusader should do it’s to think activities or talents that can give you a cutie mark. Then, try as many things as possible to see what you are good at. And finally, help other members giving feedback about the activities result and check if anyone got a cutie mark. Seems simple enough” Marble, looked to her sister strangely “Are you taking this crusader thing seriously? I thought we only did it to make that pony happy” “I know, but reading this thing made me think it might be fun to try it. So what do you say? Cutie mark crusaders sky divers? Or maybe, cutie mark crusaders monster fighters” Marble went to her sister, took the note and put it in a bag, and said “What about cutie mark crusaders rocks deliverers? We don’t have time for this” Limestone sighted and gave up. Her sister was right, they wanted to make the deliveries as quickly as possible so they can be with their sister.

They took all her stuff, checked out from the hotel, took their carts, and left the city. Next stop was the city of Fillydelphia. The longest distance they had to travel was from the rock farm to Manehattan, the rest of the cities were very close to each other and they if they limit themselves to just deliver and leave the place they could get to Applelooza by the end of the day. That was the plane. Marble doesn't really enjoy going to many places, and just wanted to end this ordeal. While Limestone, wished to finish for the sister be reunited again, also wanted to see all what she could. The walk to Fillydelphia became very quiet. It wasn't that they were mad, but they didn't know what to say. Then, Limestone tried lighten up the moment “Hey, what do you think Fillydelphia it’s like?” Without leaving her eyes from the road she answered “Small” Limestone really expected more from that answer, so she asked again “And why is that?” “So we can just get there, deliver rocks, and leave” Limestone was a bit sad from that answer “Why? I mean don’t you want to know new places and ponies?” Marble stopped for a moment, she lowered her head and her mane covered her face. Limestone couldn't see her sister face, but she knew something was wrong. But, after a minute or two her sister finally spoke, a single word “No” and she continued trotting to the city. Limestone wanted to help her sister, usually her sister was the one in control, and she didn't know what to do “Maybe I need to give her some time” she wondered and kept trotting.

After a while, they finally reached the city. Compared to Manehattan it wasn't as big. There were not many tall buildings like the last city, but there were many many buildings, giving the impression that it was larger. Trying to please her sister for a change, Limestone decided she would take her sister’s advice and just deliver the rocks and go. She took the ticket with the name and address. The order was made by somepony named S.S. They didn't really need the name, but they found it curious. The followed the address and took them to a weird neighborhood. Many houses had graffiti on the walls and some others had their yard littered of junk. The arrived to a big house. It had only one floor, but it was as long as three regular houses combined. From the outside it looked like if nopony had cleaned it for ages, weed and ivy all around the yard, scrap metal, paint from the wall was falling, actually they couldn't tell what color the house actually had. They were very careful while walking to the door. The idea of staying more time than needed there didn't come to their mind at all.

Limestone knock the door and Marble entered her shield mane mode.The door opened, a pony covered with a black coat appeared. Not even her face, mane, race, not even if it was male or female could be told. The sisters were surprised to see it “Hello…” Said Limestone “We… we are from the P-P-Pie Rock Farm… And we brought the sapphires you ordered” Limestone was shaking, the intimidating figure was even more scary when she couldn't see it’s eyes. The pony spoke on a slow deep voice, but they could tell it was female “Thank you, let me get my purse to pay you” She got inside the house again, and quickly came with money for the stones. She carried a huge bag with bits (sapphires, aren't really cheap) in her mouth. She gave the bag to Marble and took the one with the gems. But before the pony returned to her house, Limestone spoke “Excuse me… If it isn't too much to ask, why an earth pony, living in a place like this needs something as expensive as sapphires?” Marble jaw dropped. She didn't want to be there, and the pony was scary enough to run away screaming. The shadowy pony’s voice answered with her deep voice “What do you mean?” Limestone was shaking, but also very curious “You carried the bag with your mouth, being a unicorn you would've use magic. The yard it’s a mess, yet when you opened the house I noticed a living room being completely clean and shiny. And when you gave my sister the money I noticed your horseshoes being shiny and expensive. That’s very suspicious, and I just wonder why?” Limestone had always had a very conservative eye, and this time it might have gone too far.

Suddenly, the pony giggled. It gave Marble chills, but Limestone looked curious. Then, it spoke again, but know it was a happier and higher pitch voice “You got me… Can you keep a secret?” They both agreeded, Marble just wanted to get things over. The pony put away the hood of the coat and revealed herself. Marble didn't see what it was such a big secret, the pony looked like anyone else. Light yellow skin and blue mane, the only thing she could notice was how shiny her mane was and the make up she was wearing. But Limestone gasped and said “Sapphire Shores?!... What are you doing here?!” The pony lowered her head and said “Please, come in. I can explain inside” Limestone quickly accepted the invitation. Marble having nothing else to do, followed her sister.

Just like Limestone said the whole place inside was tidy. It had very few furniture, but a lot of paintings on the walls, and sculptures around the place. They left the carts at the entrance and sat on a sofa at the living room. Sapphire sat on a chair right in front of them and looked at them for a while. Sapphire then asked “Names?” Because Marble was too nervous to talk Limestone answer “Marble and Limestone Pie, miss”. Sapphire, looked at them steady again after that, nothing but silence and uncomfortable staring. Limestone decided to break the ice “Miss Shores, why…?” But Sapphire interrupted her “Do you know how is to live to lives? Being someone who you are not?” She stopped, sighted and continued “I became famous for my voice. I loved singing every time, but I loved singing jazz. I used to make my own costumes and sang my songs. I had a band with my friends, Keystrokes, Drum Stick, Meadow Song and Octavia. We played at a small jazz bar back in Carnterlot. But one day a pony saw us playing and offered me a contract to become a singer. However, I could only sang whatever they told me. Being young and foolish, I accepted. I could only sing pop songs, and couldn't make my own costumes anymore. I had to ask other ponies, I found one that I love in a small town called “Ponyville”. To top it all off, I had to keep a very active and happy persona all the time. When I’m out, I have to act like I’m a selfish, self-centered pony. Only when I don’t have a tour and I get back here I can be myself. Nopony else before had noticed me… Until now”

The sisters were shocked to hear the story. Even Marble who knew nothing about her could pity for the poor soul. Limestone clear her throat “What if you sing with your actual voice next time?” Sapphire lowered her head again “Then, they will fire me” Suddenly Marble spoke “Maybe that’s good” Both Sapphire and Limestone looked at her, surprised “I-I mean. Yeah, you are famous and… rich. But at what cost? Wouldn't you like to sing what you like and be with your friends again? Besides, do you really need all of this?” Not much she said. It wasn't deep, nor poetic. But it touched Sapphire’s heart. She also moved her sister a little. Sapphire shed a tear and said “You are right, my little pony. I guess it’s time for the true Sapphire Shores to show” She smiled, a tear rolled through her cheek “Wait here, please” Said Sapphire. She stood up and went to a room at the end of a hall. The sisters waited at the living for some time until Sapphire returned. She sat on the chair again and said “Okay, I call the old band, and all of them agreeded to come here. Why don’t you stay here, so you can see the real me singing?” Limestone was very excited, but Marble as always didn't like the idea “Sorry, but we need to go to other cities to deliver more rocks” “Please, it’s the least I can do”. Limestone looked at her sister with what she called “The crystal eyes” she opened her eyes as wide as she can and make a sad face, this combination made her eyes spark like little crystals. Marble hated that, that made her sister being utterly adorable “Fine, but we’ll leave early in the morning”.

The musicians arrived when the sun was about to set. They talked to each other for almost an hour, they almost didn’t notice the presence of the Pies. But after a while they went to a room at the back of Sapphire’s house. It was a big room, specious enough for a band and a few ponies to watch them play. The room was full with instruments and a few chairs. The Pies sat right in front of the band, and while the other ponies began their music. Smooth jazz filled the air, they haven’t seen each other in years, yet it was like they have been practicing together all the time. It wasn't instruments working together to make a good song, it was every pony making one song complete and together. Sapphire’s voice was completely different from what Limestone have heard. On stage her voice was very high pitched, like if a young pony was singing. But now, it was harmonic, profound, and it fused with the music perfectly. Marble was astonished, she never really mind for music, but now she was falling in love with it. They played for hours, until they hoofs couldn't take it anymore. And after that, the musicians thank for the audience presence and each one of them went to their respective room. Saphire’s house had many rooms, so all of them had a place to stay. And so did the sisters, who went straight to bed after an amazing evening.

In the morning, they thank again Saphire for the show, wished her good luck and went to their journey. They might have lost a day, but it was worth it.

Author's Note:

I'd love for someone to draw a cover for the story. I'm not really good at drawing.